• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think the real aversion to Katalina is that she’d be the character with the least amount of connection to Nintendo ever.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
There's also always Banjo being announced in commemoration for his 20th Anniversary. Either one could be the case.
I think Sora would avoid leaving a bad taste in some people's mouths if there was Kingdom Hearts content on the Switch.

Heck, with BK, there's the chance of them at least showing up on a N64 mini, and if Microsoft are feeling generous and cooperative enough, a collaboration title in the near future. Not that I'm expecting Banjo &Kazooie either mind you.

D

Deleted member

Imagine that the Direct is almost ending, and Reggie asks to wait for one last surprise and this happens after the Switch click:

>We come back from the black screen.
>We see a quiet futuristic road.
>Suddenly, the floor starts shaking, with tiny bits of rocks moving.
>Out of a sudden, some vehicles at high speeds jumpscare the viewer.
>We get a better look at what’s happening while
>While the song ends, we see the name, with a date for 2019.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
For me personally, it's because I have absolutely no connection to the character or her franchise whatsoever. I didn't even know who she was until she was brought up in Smash speculation.

Regardless of how unique Katalina could be, I really don't think she's an appropriate choice for Smash DLC. Having moveset potential isn't the only factor that should dictate who gets in Smash. Popularity and iconicness should also be taken into account, and frankly, Katalina has neither of those.
She does in her home country. Granblue tmk is stupidly popular in Japan. Also "iconicness" tends to be very arbitrarily used in the Smash fandom, requiring characters to actually be iconic rules out 90% of what the hardcore fanbase wants and leaves only characters like Steve

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Im not sure what people's aversion to Katalina even is honestly. She looks interesting imo
I've got no connection to the character, her design is nothing to write home about, there are characters I'd prefer getting in before her that have waited longer and are more popular. I could care less about the mobile aspect part, though I don't find her actual game, source material or character, fun or endearing in the slightest.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hopefully that's the case, I don't want to have to watch the VGA with the Prime 4 rumors swirling around it, but I absolutely need to see the game's reveal live, no matter how much cringe I have to sit through. I can deal with missing a DLC character announcement, it's unlikely it'll have a full CG trailer anyways.
I have a gut feeling we could get a reveal for Sora/SE stuff, or Sylux. As long as the VGA doesn't last too long into the evening, I got work in the morning.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Maybe I'm just being narrow minded (not usual for me regarding character picks), but I just can't see a mobile gacha character getting into Smash as DLC, as least not in this point in time. Maybe its the little console/handheld elitist inside me who dislikes most mobile games, but I can't imagine a world where they pick some mobile over a proper big name console title character.

It's going to take a lot to convince me she's actually in.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Imagine that the Direct is almost ending, and Reggie asks to wait for one last surprise and this happens after the Switch click:

>We come back from the black screen.
>We see a quiet futuristic road.
>Suddenly, the floor starts shaking, with tiny bits of rocks moving.
>Out of a sudden, some vehicles at high speeds jumpscare the viewer.
>We get a better look at what’s happening while
>While the song ends, we see the name, with a date for 2019.
Okay, I'm going to ask again. Where is all this talk about new DLC info and a new direct coming from, people?????

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'll honestly be kinda surprised if Rayman doesn't make DLC considering Nintendo's and Ubisoft's relationship and the fact he appeared as a trophy in Sm4sh.

D

Deleted member

Okay, I'm going to ask again. Where is all this talk about new DLC info and a new direct coming from, people?????
A source that has a good track of teasing Directs.
It is also supported with the date he sees likely, which coincides with the supposed launch of Youtube for Switch.

StormC

Smash Hero
I wouldn't throw a hissy fit over Katalina, but I would have zero understanding why she's Smash DLC besides "her games are popular in Japan." Like, that's it. Not a Nintendo character, not a character with a long-standing history and influence, not a globally recognizable character, has never been on a Nintendo system, nothing especially interesting about her character design or moveset potential, she would just... exist. The idea that I would have to pay for a character like this seems crazy and is what is keeping me from going all in on the fighter pass.

Thankfully I don't think she is coming no matter what some random leaker on the internet says.

also gacha games are awful

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'm hoping for a Tales of Symphonia port on Switch announced. Come on, it's the game that got several Western fans into Tales.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
User was warned for this post; censor dodging(please write out the word as normal. The autocensors will catch it).

Greninja's Final Smash. I don't know if it has to hit wifh Mat Block first. I hope not. The "confirmation hit" was so ****ing tiny. I hope it dashes forward to initiate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

There’s hope for F-Zero if Nintendo does the same thing that they used to tease Luigi’s Mansion 3.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
She does in her home country. Granblue tmk is stupidly popular in Japan. Also "iconicness" tends to be very arbitrarily used in the Smash fandom, requiring characters to actually be iconic rules out 90% of what the hardcore fanbase wants and leaves only characters like Steve
She's fairly new and never left Japan, so if she were to get announced today as a character in Smash, the rest of the world would be completely clueless as to who she is.

There's not really much you can do to argue Katalina being an iconic character. As flexible as the term "iconic" is in the Smash fanbase, she doesn't have any worldwide popularity, association with Nintendo, or long history in gaming that would make me consider her to be iconic in any way, shape, or form.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I think Sora would avoid leaving a bad taste in some people's mouths if there was Kingdom Hearts content on the Switch.

Heck, with BK, there's the chance of them at least showing up on a N64 mini, and if Microsoft are feeling generous and cooperative enough, a collaboration title in the near future. Not that I'm expecting Banjo &Kazooie either mind you.
I don't think that matters much. Sora has had a lot of games on Nintendo handhelds from GBA to DS to 3DS. Granted, I would like KH I.5/II.5 HD Remix ported to Switch too, then everything except Kingdom Hearts 0.5 & Kingdom Hearts III would be on Switch, with 358/2 Days and Coded being exclusive to Nintendo.

D

Deleted member

Is that also where the talk of potential F-Zero news spawned from as well?
No.
The F-Zero talk comes from a redesign of the Blue Falcon shown on the trailer for WoL in Ultimate.

Some people, myself included, see the idea of a new F-Zero game being teased and revealed like Luigi’s Mansion 3 as a likely possibility.

StormC

Smash Hero
It'd be really cool if The Story Up Until Now came to Switch... but then Switch owners are left hanging for a KH3 that will never release.

But hey, at least Final Fantasy VII is finally being released!

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Honestly I don't think "iconicness" should even be a factor in character discussion as that locks any talk down to "I have a theme park based on me" tier of characters. Which....is honestly very limiting in terms of speculation and is otherwise very subjective.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I don't Sora would leave much of a sour taste in anyone's mouth, outside of some like diehard Geno supporters.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm hoping for a Tales of Symphonia port on Switch announced. Come on, it's the game that got several Western fans into Tales.
I wouldn't say its happening for a while given that Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition is coming out in January.

Not really. People already want Sora, and Kingdom Hearts coming to Switch would be the icing on the cake really. I can play Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 on the go? That's been my dream for a long time.

I legitimately suggested Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix on New 3DS to Square Enix when they released one of their major fan polls lol.

The only people I can imagine being angry would be diehard Geno fans and the "boo anime swordsmen" crowd, but those are both minorities in the fanbase.

Anyways, pipe dream DLC lineup:
  • Sora
  • Steve
  • Leon Kennedy
  • Joker
  • Heihachi
You may not like it, but this is what peak Smash Bros. DLC looks like.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Whatever happened to the F-Zero-style Star Fox racing game that was rumored earlier this year, allegedly by Retro Studios? I mean they've been working on something for the past 4 and a half years, and it wasn't Metroid. The rumor came out a month before E3, but that wasn't shown, so really it could be shown any day now.

Unless they're in some kind of development hell and things are going poorly, which is uncharacteristic of them. That, or whatever game they're working on is huge, which is exciting.

StormC

Smash Hero
Honestly I don't think "iconicness" should even be a factor in character discussion as that locks any talk down to "I have a theme park based on me" tier of characters. Which....is honestly very limiting in terms of speculation and is otherwise very subjective.
I don't want to see Smash become a generic video game crossover. If we're going to get third parties, I would like to see ones with resumes to back them up, like the ones we have currently... mostly. Katalina misses that bar pretty massively. It's pretty clear Sakurai does indeed favor "iconic" characters by and large, so that's why it comes up.

Attempts to justify the inclusion of characters like Katalina feel very post hoc (even when she hasn't been confirmed yet). Every time a character like this comes up, people have to swarm to defend it. Characters like Piranha Plant are one thing; they're at least Nintendo characters and fall into the psuedo "joke character" category. I'm not going to have a meltdown and post walls of text if she gets in, but that doesn't mean I have to like it or be okay with it.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Is anyone else glad that character speculation (for the base roster) is over? I've actually started to appreciate other characters like :ultkrool: more because I no longer have to think "Okay he's in, but what about this other guy???"

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Whatever happened to the F-Zero-style Star Fox racing game that was rumored earlier this year, allegedly by Retro Studios? I mean they've been working on something for the past 4 and a half years, and it wasn't Metroid. The rumor came out a month before E3, but that wasn't shown, so really it could be shown any day now.

Unless they're in some kind of development hell and things are going poorly, which is uncharacteristic of them. That, or whatever game they're working on is huge, which is exciting.
I'm pretty sure this is what people have been hinting at.

Here's to hoping they reveal it in the upcoming Direct so they can put this behind them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom