• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
In an odd way. i thought box and grinch leaks where real it could've gone either way. I was leaning more towards Grinch though.

Either way, Honestly Box Theory being real wasn't a very big stretch.
I personally always assumed box theory was real, but that grinch leak was also real and those additional characters were either going to find their way onto the back of the box, be DLC, or otherwise come up as some kind of surprise in the single player campaign, or, maybe, that they would find their way to the game after launch with Sakurai letting us know he was still working on them ala Piranha. Again, Grinch leak is not dead yet until we understand the motivations of the leaker or until Fighter Pass is fully revealed. Wasn't Loz18 pushing Isaac as of a while ago? I don't see any law or verbiage from Sakurai that says someone can't be an assist trophy and a fighter. I am so thoroughly flummoxed by the circumstances behind Grinch leak that I require answers or I am assuming that it is rooted in some truth. It would easily be the strangest and most well thought out fake of all Smash history, which is possible but still not likely. I agree the evidence is weighing against Grinch leak, but I want answers before I stop assuming it's rooted in some part of the game's development.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
That profile picture is freaking adorable
Thank you. I can't take credit for the drawing itself, just the editing, but I also don't know who to give credit to. The place I found it didn't credit the artist.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Oh boy not this again
Dude, I remember someone saying a while ago that when the next Direct would come people would forget there even was a box.
That guy was wrong.
Perhaps you should care a bit less for what was just a 3 month period of speculation.
The fact that the box theorists were right honestly makes me feel humiliated. I’m not even sure why, perhaps it’s because most of them were so smug about it.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
They didn't change his FS at all, Chrom is STILL THERE
Uhh, c'mon, Sakurai...the one time another FE character would have actually been necessary...

Speaking of, have we seen all the FS yet online? I haven't seen R.O.B.'s, Meta Knight's, and Greninja's. (We've seen Peach's by proxy of Daisy's)

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
The Box Theory wasn't a big stretch and honestly it was pretty believable from the get. It's just that the attitude it spawned was absolutely awful. I'd rather not be called delusional for being a skeptic, thanks.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Dude, I remember someone saying a while ago that when the next Direct would come people would forget there even was a box.
That guy was wrong.

The fact that the box theorists were right honestly makes me feel humiliated. I’m not even sure why, perhaps it’s because most of them were so smug about it.
It's really not that important.
I thought that was pretty normal behaviour.
*hugs*

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
If vergeben ends up being right, he'll be right. Until then, I'd say any character for DLC is fair game. Nothing is set in stone until Sakurai himself confirms so. I still have a feeling that Sora could get in over Geno though, that is, IF they're competing with each other. He's way more popular and would sell like hotcakes, and Nintendo and Disney have a good relationship and have worked together in the past.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Thank you. I can't take credit for the drawing itself, just the editing, but I also don't know who to give credit to. The place I found it didn't credit the artist.
Honestly I'm a big Midna fan. Dissapointed she's still an assist trophy, but hey, She's still in the game!

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
As I said, it was according to what you've said. You said they're stingy. Well, that's what a stingy company do. It doesn't get any stingier than that. What's better than a cross promote? a zero loss + gain promote.
You can argue a DQ rep but Sora is out of the deal. KH3 is never coming to Switch. Nothing to gain from Sora's appearance in Smash. Not to Square, not to Nintendo. A DQ rep is also unecessary, since DQ11 is already in the works for Switch.
They are stingy, but reasonable. In the same way they love to be stingy they absolutely love cross promotion. Examples Noctis Tekken and 2B in Soul Calibur. As for KH3 never coming to the Nintendo Switch we don't know that. Tetsuya Nomura has stated he would be open to KH3 coming to the Nintendo Switch. https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/0...ible-after-xbox-one-ps4-versions-are-released

So the idea of KH3 never coming to the Switch is not true. Lets just speculate its a possibility, then its in Square Enix's benefit to have Sora in Smash Bros to cross promote. Im not saying they will, but I am saying that it would be a similar business pattern that they have done before. I cannot think of a time Square brought a character into a game thats not theirs. And it had zero loss and zero gain, its just not how they do business.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I know the forum and general hardcore community is obsessed over Isaac and Geno, but the characters I'm legitimately surprised still aren't in Smash are Paper Mario and some sort of new Zelda representative since Melee.

I mean, I've thought Paper Mario was a shoe-in as far back as Brawl, and it's crazy that one of Nintendo's big three hasn't gotten anyone since 2001, if you consider Toon Link just a natural extension of Young Link. These aren't obscure fanservice characters appealing to a vocal portion of the hardcore community. They're ****ing Mario and Zelda.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
To anybody feeling depressed about the Box leak being real:
Why don'cha use Occam's Razor to come to the conclusion that it doesn't mean much overall and to move on?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Wait, it's on the eShop? I didn't see it on there. Was it just buried or something?
It's there. They said in the direct you could pre-install it.

It's already like #2 best-selling game on eShop right now so you can find it under Best Sellers or Coming Soon.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
As of now, here's where each franchise stands with reps.

:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultdoc::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultpiranha:
:ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultike::ultrobin::ultcorrin:
:ultlink::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ulttoonlink:
:ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultzss::ultridley:
:ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:
:ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena:
:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:
:ultness::ultlucas:
:ultsimon::ultrichter:
:ultvillager::ultisabelle:
:ultryu::ultken:

When I look at all these guys together, I really start to appreciate the balance Ultimate has brought between franchises and the number of reps they have. I'd still like to get another Zelda and Kirby character, but I'm pretty content with this being the final layout.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I know the forum and general hardcore community is obsessed over Isaac and Geno, but the characters I'm legitimately surprised still aren't in Smash are Paper Mario and some sort of new Zelda representative since Melee.

I mean, I've thought Paper Mario was a shoe-in as far back as Brawl, and it's crazy that one of Nintendo's big three hasn't gotten anyone since 2001, if you consider Toon Link just a natural extension of Young Link. These aren't obscure fanservice characters appealing to a vocal portion of the hardcore community. They're ****ing Mario and Zelda.
Putrid Piranha.
Thats your Paper Mario Rep.
Be glad it isn't a Sticker or a Paint.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
As I said, it was according to what you've said. You said they're stingy. Well, that's what a stingy company do. It doesn't get any stingier than that. What's better than a cross promote? a zero loss + gain promote.
You can argue a DQ rep but Sora is out of the deal. KH3 is never coming to Switch. Nothing to gain from Sora's appearance in Smash. Not to Square, not to Nintendo. A DQ rep is also unecessary, since DQ11 is already in the works for Switch.
According to your logic, what did Nintendo have to gain by putting Cloud in Smash 4? We didn't get FFXV on the Wii U or Switch, and the FFVII remake won't be on the Switch either.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
The Box Theory wasn't a big stretch and honestly it was pretty believable from the get. It's just that the attitude it spawned was absolutely awful. I'd rather not be called delusional for being a skeptic, thanks.
Well guess what? History’s written by the victors. The credibility of people who disbelieved the box theory is history now.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

...the fact that this frame even exists at all...
Thanks for the new profile picture.

I am surprised those two aren't in. Never played GS or SMRPG so I couldn't really understand the hype, but i agree with your statement. I do think Tetra would be such a freaking cool character. we don't have any characters with pistols either, i don't believe.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
To anybody feeling depressed about the Box leak being real:
Why don'cha use Occam's Razor to come to the conclusion that it doesn't mean much overall and to move on?
I dunno what "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" has to do with all of this..

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Just saying, looking how the CSS looks absolutely packed currently, I think a new column will be added, squishing the icons over. This will let them use the bottom row for the 5 new characters.

This also leaves 3 empty spaces to a sense.

hoping we get free echos as we wait through out the year.
I could see 3 free echos as a means to get people interested.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
That's what I've been trying to tell Geno fans. There's no gain from bringing Geno back except pure fan service. Nintendo don't like RPGs, it's what got them fighting with Square in the first place. So thent Paper then M&L RPG. They can't (and most probably don't want to) make a new RPG with Geno. It'll be an unworthy headache. look at how long it took'em to get his costume in.
Agree plus lets just say they added Geno into the Mario & Luigi Rpg's. Then they would constantly have to be partnering with Square, whereas before they didn't and it was successful. The only way Geno will have future games with Nintendo, is if Square sells him to Nintendo.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Just saying, looking how the CSS looks absolutely packed currently, I think a new column will be added, squishing the icons over. This will let them use the bottom row for the 5 new characters.

This also leaves 3 empty spaces to a sense.

hoping we get free echos as we wait through out the year.
I could see 3 free echos as a means to get people interested.
Smash 4 had a single button FOR THE DLC CHARACTERS on the 3ds version (cant speak for the wii u cuz i played it less) maybe theyll do that?

Edit: I really need to learn to be more clear..

Last edited:

MyDude213

Smash Journeyman
That's called "guessing correctly". If someone gets one thing right and a bunch of things wrong, it means they never had a real source, and were just guessing. Getting one of their guesses right doesn't make them credible, it just makes them lucky.

I doubt he ever actually had a source to begin with. My guess is that he decided to ride the Grinch leak hype train by lying and saying he had a sources which mind you he never actually gave any real proof of having real sources so people just had to take his word for it. He didn't show DMs, give any real names (online names), etc. So personally I never believed him but a lot more people did believe him probably because it validated the characters they wanted being in the game. Despite again PapaGeno literally having zero proof for anything or even really trying to give any proof granted no one actually asked him for proof to begin with. Which I think was pretty silly of people you shouldn't just take what people say at face value on the internet it's super easy to lie on the internet. As for that spirits thing that was pretty much confirmed by other people like the day after it was teased several months ago and not even by PapaGeno. He kinda just regurgitated that leak from what other channels/sources covering that leak were saying already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom