• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
They really did my guy right.
I'm so happy!
Your so right! Honestly love Incineroar more that ever now lol. He's so freaking smug. I was an Incineroar fan before this, but now I'm full Incineroar.
Moveset looks amazing as well. and his voice is really interesting. Excited to play him.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
They are stingy, but reasonable. In the same way they love to be stingy they absolutely love cross promotion. Examples Noctis Tekken and 2B in Soul Calibur. As for KH3 never coming to the Nintendo Switch we don't know that. Tetsuya Nomura has stated he would be open to KH3 coming to the Nintendo Switch. https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/0...ible-after-xbox-one-ps4-versions-are-released

So the idea of KH3 never coming to the Switch is not true. Lets just speculate its a possibility, then its in Square Enix's benefit to have Sora in Smash Bros to cross promote. Im not saying they will, but I am saying that it would be a similar business pattern that they have done before. I cannot think of a time Square brought a character into a game thats not theirs. And it had zero loss and zero gain, its just not how they do business.
"considering", KH3 would look ugly on Switch (the current Switch, who knows about the updated ver.). Nintendo has to prove a lot before they "consider" doing that. It'll take a lot, just like DQ11 on Switch.
You got me wrong on that one. I said Zero loss "plus" gain. That's all gain with no loss. I don't think Square would refuse that

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
...Do we know if Roy speaks English?

Since this is the release build, and I believe the non-Pokemon characters have the same VAs regardless of region in the Western releases.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Smash 4 had a single button on the 3ds version (cant speak for the wii u cuz i played it less) maybe theyll do that?
Wii u could fit an extra 6 fighters with Bayonetta pushing it out of a square. Then the top two rows had extra characters than the bottom rows. They squished it to work.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
NEW GAME!
Make a list of Five Characters who the door is now open to thanks to Robin's Final Smash that you'd like to see in Smash one day as dlc maybe.

For me its..

1. X
2. Proto Man
3. Bass (yeah yeah i like Mega Man OK)
4. Fiora
and 5. Shadow Mario (As an echo of mario but with Bowser Jr.s Final Smash)
1. Toad
2. Toad
3. Toad
4. Toad
5. Toad

The point is, any character that is a part of a moveset, is now possible, be it Final Smash or Peach and Daisy's throws and counters.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
...Do we know if Roy speaks English?

Since this is the release build, and I believe the non-Pokemon have the same VAs regardless of region in the Western releases.
He speak weebs apparently.

Which is good.

Thanks ****ing good.

shadowjosh

Smash Apprentice
Not trying to be confrontational, but post-direct I've seen people suggest we will get big name third party characters for DLC because that will drive sales unlike second tier one off characters that casual fans might not have heard of. Fine, I totally understand that. I would much prefer Geno or Black Mage over Sora, but whatever. And I'd prefer even the plant over freaking Steve, but I get it.

But how does this work for having a DLC character be someone much of even gaming websites haven't heard of, much less the casual public? Katalina makes no sense, but this is Smash so it's probably real.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
In an odd way. i thought box and grinch leaks where real it could've gone either way. I was leaning more towards Grinch though.

Either way, Honestly Box Theory being real wasn't a very big stretch.
I never believed the box theory especially after Isabelle got revealed. Wouldn’t there only be one more newcomer? Well whatever, doesn’t matter! Still very happy with all the characters and can’t wait to try em out!

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I suppose now is as good a time as any.

Back in Smash 4, I figured out what the CSS would look like just by analyzing the demo CSS. I was correct, but it disconfirmed Ridley, so everybody hated on me and called me an idiot because "they can change it." I actually did the same thing with the CSS for this game, I just didn't bother posting it because the climate is so hostile now.

The box was brushed aside and everyone who said it had meaning was constantly insulted. It can't be evidence at how many characters are left, because they can change it.

The Grinch leak had proven discrepancies between the backgrounds, but those don't matter, because, after all, they can change it. (I am not condensing the entire pro-Grinch argument down to this one talking point, this was simply the one talking point I disagreed with which was constantly thrown back at me.)

The point isn't that they can't change things, because they always can. The point is that if there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for why something is the way it is, and no good reason for why it would change, then it's perfectly fine to draw conclusions from something based on how it exists, and not just ignore those points because anything can change.

D

Deleted member

Apparently, Skull Kid's Mii Costume was shown in the shop during the Direct so this means not all of them have been revealed yet.
Also gives me hope Spirits has unrevealed bosses(that aren't just from SSE)
As of now, here's where each franchise stands with reps.

:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultdoc::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultpiranha:
:ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultike::ultrobin::ultcorrin:
:ultlink::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ulttoonlink:
:ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultzss::ultridley:
:ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:
:ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena:
:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:
:ultness::ultlucas:
:ultsimon::ultrichter:
:ultvillager::ultisabelle:
:ultryu::ultken:

When I look at all these guys together, I really start to appreciate the balance Ultimate has brought between franchises and the number of reps they have. I'd still like to get another Zelda and Kirby character, but I'm pretty content with this being the final layout.
tOo MaNy fYAH eMBUREM cHaraCterS

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Wii u could fit an extra 6 fighters with Bayonetta pushing it out of a square. Then the top two rows had extra characters than the bottom rows. They squished it to work.
If they do multiple seasons of dlc (and i dont see why not Smash is a Money Printer) then a singular button that opens a Tab for DLC Fighters may be needed, but hey we won't know for quite awhile.

Potato_

Smash Lord
I know the forum and general hardcore community is obsessed over Isaac and Geno, but the characters I'm legitimately surprised still aren't in Smash are Paper Mario and some sort of new Zelda representative since Melee.

I mean, I've thought Paper Mario was a shoe-in as far back as Brawl, and it's crazy that one of Nintendo's big three hasn't gotten anyone since 2001, if you consider Toon Link just a natural extension of Young Link. These aren't obscure fanservice characters appealing to a vocal portion of the hardcore community. They're ****ing Mario and Zelda.
It's extremely disappointing personally that Sakurai doesn't want to choose any character outside the Triforce Trio for Zelda, and Paper Mario would be an amazing character to have as well. I mean hell, even Zelda's one off characters are EXTREMELY popular.

I feel like I really can't complain after getting Ridley, Chrom AND Ken this release cycle though. I would have loved Skull Kid, Midna or Tetra (and I guess there's still a chance on that last one) but it'll have to wait I guess.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Back in Smash 4, I figured out what the CSS would look like just by analyzing the demo CSS. I was correct, but it disconfirmed Ridley, so everybody hated on me and called me an idiot because "they can change it."
Oh my god, that was such a headache.

Especially the whole "PIKACHU MOVED IN MELEE'S CSS!" counter-argument, which was literally the only instance of it ever happening in the entire series.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
"considering", KH3 would look ugly on Switch (the current Switch, who knows about the updated ver.). Nintendo has to prove a lot before they "consider" doing that. It'll take a lot, just like DQ11 on Switch.
You got me wrong on that one. I said Zero loss "plus" gain. That's all gain with no loss. I don't think Square would refuse that
Ok, but consider this:

Square Enix has nothing to lose and more to gain if they add a more popular, relevant character over Geno.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Seriously. Was the only reason we got English Marth because they also re-recorded him in the Japanese version?
What a bummer.
They honestly could've reused his Heroes lines like they did with Black Knight and I wouldn't care.

Hell, they're reusing Mario Kart 7 lines for Rosa still ;/

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I suppose now is as good a time as any.

Back in Smash 4, I figured out what the CSS would look like just by analyzing the demo CSS. I was correct, but it disconfirmed Ridley, so everybody hated on me and called me an idiot because "they can change it." I actually did the same thing with the CSS for this game, I just didn't bother posting it because the climate is so hostile now.

The box was brushed aside and everyone who said it had meaning was constantly insulted. It can't be evidence at how many characters are left, because they can change it.

The Grinch leak had proven discrepancies between the backgrounds, but those don't matter, because, after all, they can change it. (I am not condensing the entire pro-Grinch argument down to this one talking point, this was simply the one talking point I disagreed with which was constantly thrown back at me.)

The point isn't that they can't change things, because they always can. The point is that if there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for why something is the way it is, and no good reason for why it would change, then it's perfectly fine to draw conclusions from something based on how it exists, and not just ignore those points because anything can change.
People thought box was absolutely ridiculous but if you just listened to what the guy was saying it made sense as to why it revealed how many were left.

They used an non intuitive math based character placement design for the box that would suggest two more remained for it to be filled out. And the fact that no one prior to the box theory was saying "oh yeah only two more left" added to its credibility, as not even those who believed it wanted it to be true.

Meanwhile the main argument of detractors boiled down to the ridiculousness of the idea that the roster would be leaked by a box. And yeah it is pretty ridiculous that Nintendo was that short-sighted, but it's happened to them before.

Anti-box rage was mostly based on emotion, and how desperate people were for Grinch to be true demonstrates that

You have one leak with a BUNCH of stretches, discrepancies, inconsistencies, lack of faith from the insider/leaker community, and requirement for leaps of logic to be true.

And you have a box that's only missing two spots.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Agree plus lets just say they added Geno into the Mario & Luigi Rpg's. Then they would constantly have to be partnering with Square, whereas before they didn't and it was successful. The only way Geno will have future games with Nintendo, is if Square sells him to Nintendo.
Thank you. I hope Geno fans get this. Though that does make me wonder, why did Sakurai want Geno then? Was it really a pure desire of his? Was it not for the fans to begin with? hmm, who knows.
Well, according to Vergeben. The first DLC is the Square one. A couple of months till that I suppose.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Uh, this gives me terrible feels.

So, :ultincineroar: was voiced by Unshō Ishizuka, who voiced Professor Oak and the old Joseph Joestar among others. Now that he's gone, his presence at least remains in this game when we play the wrestler.

I'm just searching for literally anything I can at the moment.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Just curious, do we have a list of all the visible characters seen at the start of the story cinematic? I think we have a few MIA’s whose deaths weren’t shown on screen. Like K Rool and Simon for example.

What do you think they were doing in thier final moments?

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
People thought box was absolutely ridiculous but if you just listened to what the guy was saying it made sense as to why it revealed how many were left.

They used an non intuitive math based character placement design for the box that would suggest two more remained for it to be filled out. And the fact that no one prior to the box theory was saying "oh yeah only two more left" added to its credibility, as not even those who believed it wanted it to be true.

Meanwhile the main argument of detractors boiled down to the ridiculousness of the idea that the roster would be leaked by a box. And yeah it is pretty ridiculous that Nintendo was that short-sighted, but it's happened to them before.

Anti-box rage was mostly based on emotion, and how desperate people were for Grinch to be true demonstrates that

You have one leak with a BUNCH of stretches, discrepancies, inconsistencies, lack of faith from the insider/leaker community, and requirement for leaps of logic to be true.

And you have a box that's only missing two spots.
The spots weren't the big giveaway for the box theory, it was that one was clearly set up to have Ken. I think a lot of people brushed this away, it was designed that way for a reason.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Ok, but consider this:

Square Enix has nothing to lose and more to gain if they add a more popular, relevant character over Geno.
Yeah but then it wouldn't be a Nintendo desire. That deal goes both ways, so no. Geno it is.

D

Deleted member

It's there. They said in the direct you could pre-install it.

It's already like #2 best-selling game on eShop right now so you can find it under Best Sellers or Coming Soon.
Huh. Maybe because this was after the Direct I didn't see it, I dunno.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
So this is a total pipedream but if they decided the DLC lineup in 2015/2016, that was right at the hype of both Undertale and Overwatch.

Sans or Tracer would be hype af imo.

They just showed off two new heroes at Blizzcon please blizzard bring this game to switch im dying

Burb

The Absolute Worst
On a side note, I find it funny how I ended up being similar to Burb Burb during Sm4sh speculation, where I disputed many common ideas and theories meant to generate hype and advocated for anti-hype, or a lowering of expectations. I remember disagreeing with Burb a lot during the Sm4sh speculation period, sometimes on principle, sometimes due to blind hype, so it's ironic for me to take his place for this game's speculation. From there, the question becomes:
It's funny you say that, because, from what I've gathered, we actually had at least some of the same beliefs this time around. I, too, believed in Box Theory and was on #TeamFake with the Grinch leak.

I was also one of the first people, to my knowledge, on any Smash site, to hypothesize that all base game stages had been announced during the August 8th Direct (https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76883797).

Even though I was primarily a GameFAQs user for this speculation cycle, I was doing the exact same thing I did here during Smash 4's.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Echoes are easier than full-on newcomers. But they still cost money, time and manpower. Expecting them for free when Mii costumes aren't even free was never really a fair expectation.
why the hell are people expecting free stuff now? no wonder people have ridiculous expectations.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
*face palm* It's a door opener :/
You seem to have this assumption that characters need to have history with Nintendo to get into Smash, but that's not true. At this point, it's clear that Smash is a celebration of gaming as a whole, not just Nintendo. And so what if KHIII isn't confirmed to be released on the Switch yet? Why would that stop Sora from getting in? I don't think you realize just how much insane hype his inclusion would lead to. The Internet would explode with hype even more than when Cloud was revealed. Geno is a nobody. There is nothing that could be gained by including him in Smash. He is a dead character. He has no games or merchandise coming out. More people need to realize this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom