• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
We could’ve gotten Geno but Sakurai decided to do the epic funny lol XD character instead.
Or, the more logical answer:

"Square said no"

Like, Geno's problem is that he's always had to fight against Square's juggernauts, and that, despite fan outcry, is an uphill battle.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
There's no reason a newcomer can't have a chance if they're a Spirit while playable characters already get their own Spirits and they were probably planned :S
Yeah. I guess he's not totally deconfirmed yet. I still find it hard to believe they would prioritize him over more hype third party characters like Sora, Dante, and Banjo though.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
That's why they're called joke characters.
Because that's the joke.
Because that's the entire point.
I think it's more because this game had a much lower newcomer count than any other Smash thus far. While the last game had about 14 unique characters at launch (with none being joke characters), there are only 6 in Ultimate (7 w/ Piranha Plant and he is a joke character).

It's even more annoying if you don't register by January 31st, since you'll actual have to pay for him after that point.

Don't get me wrong. I love Piranha Plant in this game, but with only 6 new unique fighters at launch, I can see why some people are annoyed by the fact that they spent development time on him over anyone else.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
If we're in an anime arc, I want to be the "cool guy" side character who doesn't really participate in the main quest, but is always wisecracking in the corner with his feet up and large hat over his face.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm really glad I wasn't around for speculation ten years ago, with poor old ROB getting all the abuse.
Piranha Plant is getting it bad now, but imagine there was no more DLC coming and this was it.

That's what ROB dealt with.

Poor guy.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well I'm still trying to figure out how I feel.

Two things I do know:

Piranha Plant makes it feel like a fan-game (whether that's a good or bad thing is another matter)
Even Instrumentality can't take Kirby down.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I’m gonna be real with you, with Pirana plant it’s a character I can enjoy out of its sheer dumbness and injokeness instead of just being disappointed like with Corrin

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
hes irrelevant cause he sucks
He sucks?

Well you suck for having a terrible argument because I gave plenty of reasons why Lucario isn't irrelevant. Come at me again when you can type up better arguments than five year olds saying "he sucks".

So if Geno AND Banjo makes DLC, who do you expect to see first? I'm gonna go with Banjo just to troll us a bit before showing Geno

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
I still barely believe Incineroar's in, it feels like a dream.
I'm happy he's in as well, he looks amazing honestly. He seems to play a lot as I was hoping he would, and I'll be interested in checking his moveset out in full. :)

Iridium

Smash Hero
Didn't expect Piranha Plant, but I'll still buy it anyway. The more characters, the merrier, right?

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

I wonder what memes we'll make out of this one.
Oh my God, Falco's horror face...it's like he's about to get his beak snapped! D:

nope2.png

Master Hand: "Everyone is going to learn to love him, even YOU! Aww, look! He wants to battle you already!"

Ridley: "WHAT?!"

PP: Nom

Master Hand: "And he seems to be kicking your ***!"

Ridley: "You damned glove son of a...**** YOU!"

At first I was disappointed, but then I got a laugh out of it out of the memes,. And besides, Ridley's in, the plant just gives me ideas for more silly things.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I just want to make sure people here are aware of one thing:

Piranha Plant is not stealing anyone's "slot", and it most certainly isn't keeping Geno of all characters from being playable.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
This is much less of a stretch than the background that somewhat resembled Skull Kid's and his fairies color schemes (or the supposed King K. Rool hint). This is literally the same symbol. However, it could be that:
  • Nobodies share the same symbol as something else the background is referencing
  • This is referencing Nobodies from Kingdom Hearts, but that doesn't mean Sora will be a character
  • Sora will actually be a character
  • Something else is going on here
Also, Luxord (a Nobody) can turn Sora into a die, if that means anything.

I'm not going to jump to conclusions, but just because Skull Kid is an assist trophy doesn't mean the background can't be a hint of what content will be in the game.
This makes me wonder if that blue book with what seemed to be Banjo & Kazooie was indeed Banjo & Kazooie (in the August direct).

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
Just because you don't like joke characters doesn't mean no one else does.

Judging from the poll, more people are hyped for Piranha Plant then by Incineroar. Although admittedly part of that may have been that Incineroar was leaked beforehand.
This is not a good argument. You can add almost any character and people will be happy no matter what. Whether its a highly requested newcomer or a random character no one asked for people will be excited as long as the moveset interests them.

That would be like if Nintendo made all 5 of the DLC characters come from FE three houses and I said "No one can complain because people are happy"

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
We could’ve gotten Geno but Sakurai decided to do the epic funny lol XD character instead.
In all fairness Geno still isn't completely out of the question for DLC. Nothing is stopping them from adding two Mario characters.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I can’t be the only one who realized that these sub space noodles can’t go through links Sheild yet can go through a goddess’ barrier.

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
Didn't expect Piranha Plant, but I'll still buy it anyway. The more characters, the merrier, right?
We don't even have to buy it. You just get the game before Jan 31st and you'll get him for free when it comes out.

Probably wouldn't have bought it otherwise tbh, but I'm happy to get him for free.

Shroob

Sup?
Gonna say something REAL controversial.

Go ahead and hate on Piranha Plant all you want.

He's still truer to Paper Mario than the entire Paper Mario franchise is nowadays.

The fact that Sakurai made it turn into the colors of a Putrid Piranha when it uses its poison attack really shows me the care and research he put in here.

D

Deleted member

There's nothing that says we would have gotten X character instead of Piranha Plant if Piranha Plant wasn't in.

Seriously, he's a bonus character. He did not "steal" a slot like some are suggesting. Just like Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario in Smash 4, he's this game's free dessert (and a pretty dang good one too considering he's a unique fighter).

Last edited by a moderator:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace

Piranha Plant is not stealing anyone's "slot", and it most certainly isn't keeping Geno of all characters from being playable.
This. There is only one thing keeping Geno from being playable, and that's Squeenix.
Watch, VGAs will come around, a trailer will play with a fight between Mario and the Piranha Plant, and then Geno will show up and it won't be a fake out. Like Verge said, Squeenix likes to keep their characters as DLC.

NineS

Smash Lord
Oh- and here is the exact situation for Vergeben's and the Square enix character~

source

source

I'm wondering if he allowed himself to comment on Geno before because he actually never heard of it's name on his list.
If he never heard Geno's name on the list, it'd give me hope...
That the Square Enix rep I want is on that list, but that's clearly wishful thinking.

Who know's how big the list is though? Sora was likely on it, probably a DQ rep too. The characters of popular Squenix franchises from recent years to go with it.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
you don't get more clear than "we'll have a few more to announce later" and "i hope you weren't expecting too many newcomers". it's just that this bloody fanbase twists his statements and actions to try to support their personal wants. which is why you end up with dumb **** like the chair analysis and "ThIS scReEnsHot mEaNs IsAacC's iN!!1!!" as well as the entirety of the grinch ****show.
Yes, those are subjective statements. It's not "twisting his words" if they're vague. And they have to be vague. He can't say, "I hope you're only expecting six unique newcomers." That's an objective statement. As for "few" it's better to undersell than oversell. Obscuring the characters at the initial reveal was genius--made people think there'd be cuts, only to not cut anybody. If he wanted people pleasantly surprised, he should have left the possibility open that we'd get no characters after King K Rool, only to be pleasantly surprised there were more.

Again, I was sold at E3 with every character coming back. That was much better than the Smash 4 port I was expecting. But I also have to be honest that none of the new content interests me--none. That's not Sakurai's fault, though--that's just bad luck. It's a great game--but people are allowed to their own opinions and expectations.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I guess it doesn't really matter at this point, but I couldn't help but wonder about this.

I guess this is pretty much comfirmation, haha. Both the pose and the portrait match super closely. Interestingly, the taunt pose is actually mirrored. Was it changed, does it depends on your current direction, or was it fake and this is a coincidence.

I don't even know why I care anymore, but it's still fun in retrospective.
Ken’s Trailer was the only thing I really like about the direct to be honest.

Ken looks sooooook good.

LetterO

Smash Lord
There's nothing that says we would have gotten X character instead of Piranha Plant if Piranha Plant wasn't in.

Seriously, he's a bonus character. He did not "steal" a slot like some are suggesting. Just like Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario in Smash 4, he's this game's free dessert (and a pretty dang good one too considering he's a unique fighter).
I think I’m just getting too riled up because of how disappointing the direct was for me. I was basically dead set on Geno especially when the reveal started with all the Mario characters.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

but but..... I actually wanted baby metroid as the creepy yet loveable joke character :C

imagine all those "screeeees" that could been had!

Untouch

Smash Master
Gonna say something REAL controversial.

Go ahead and hate on Piranha Plant all you want.

He's still truer to Paper Mario than the entire Paper Mario franchise is nowadays.

The fact that Sakurai made it turn into the colors of a Putrid Piranha when it uses its poison attack really shows me the care and research he put in here.
I just realised how much he resembles Slime for me, a generic bad guy enemy that changes his type for attacks.
slimemoveset[1].jpg

PeterMatthins

Smash Rookie
Nope, no pology as of yet that I know of. But he had this to say of the direct.
No Geno, but Piranha Plant.

****ing Piranha Plant.

No, no Geno. No Isaac. No Banjo-Kazooie. No Mach Rider. No Shadow. No Chorus Men.

A ****ing plant got in over your most-wanted character. And Sakurai didn't even show the DLC, and wants you to have faith in it.

Not to mention that the DLC seems to only be 5 characters and 5 stages.

No. **** this Direct. Just **** it.
HA

BTFO

SAKURAI IS GOD

PRAISE BE TO OUR LORD

OTL OTL OTL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom