• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
lol there's not gonna be a smash 6
Anyone who truly believes this is kidding him/herself.

It prints money for Nintendo. There won't be another one on the Switch, and this may very well be Sakurai's last game, but when another Nintendo console comes-- assuming the world isn't torn asunder and modern life as we know it is gone-- there'll be another Smash Bros. Time will tell what the hell it is.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Anyone who truly believes this is kidding him/herself.

It prints money for Nintendo. There won't be another one on the Switch, and this may very well be Sakurai's last game, but when another Nintendo console comes-- assuming the world isn't torn asunder and modern life as we know it is gone-- there'll be another Smash Bros. Time will tell what the hell it is.
I say there won't be a Smash 6 because the next Smash game is going to be a reboot
Of course, there not being another Smash game ever is a worst case scenario, so naturally I'm going to believe it until proven otherwise

Last edited:

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
I've been watching some of these direct reactions, and good god man... Only a Smash fan could unironically say "that's it?" to a roster that has over 70 characters at launch.

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
So, LeakyPandy seemed to hint at a Dragon Quest reveal for Smash Bros. at the VGA's, what with the whole "politics" thing.

Spawn Wave, however, hints at Sora, and with Sakurai's Background Theory giving us two dice that appear to have a symbol from Kingdom Hearts...
Definitely don't trust Leakypanda, but SW I can give credit for sure. Sora would be... No words to describe how happy I would be.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Some of us really like joke characters, though. My cousin's been freaking out about how he now wants to main a friggin' piranha plant.

There's merit to both catering to the most vocal parts of the community and the more casual audiences.
I like joke characters, I just wouldn't choose a Piranha plant over others. I agree with your point though.

I would've actually mained three goombas stacked on top of each other like that one reddit post

Polan

Smash Lord
The problem is those statements were subjective. "Not too many newcomers" could mean anything. Compared to Smash 4? Compared to Smash 4 with DLC? Compared to any Smash game? We got 6 unique newcomers. 6. Only 2 from new series. I don't think I was expecting too much for wanting a bit more than that. Especially as none of the echo fighters appeal to me personally, and the only ones that would have, Shadow's an assist and Dixie's a sticker.

Subjective statements =/= objective statements. We can only interpret them, and our interpretations are based on our assumptions.

So, I think it's the opposite--if this taught me anything, I shouldn't take his statements seriously. I should expect the bare minimum regardless of what he says, and then I'll always be pleasantly surprised. :p
you don't get more clear than "we'll have a few more to announce later" and "i hope you weren't expecting too many newcomers". it's just that this bloody fanbase twists his statements and actions to try to support their personal wants. which is why you end up with dumb **** like the chair analysis and "ThIS scReEnsHot mEaNs IsAacC's iN!!1!!" as well as the entirety of the grinch ****show.

Ethan7

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BulbapediaEditor
Better Quality
This is the Nobody Symbol from Kingdom Hearts
Im 100% sure

View attachment 174738
This is much less of a stretch than the background that somewhat resembled Skull Kid's and his fairies color schemes (or the supposed King K. Rool hint). This is literally the same symbol. However, it could be that:
  • Nobodies share the same symbol as something else the background is referencing
  • This is referencing Nobodies from Kingdom Hearts, but that doesn't mean Sora will be a character
  • Sora will actually be a character
  • Something else is going on here
Also, Luxord (a Nobody) can turn Sora into a die, if that means anything.

I'm not going to jump to conclusions, but just because Skull Kid is an assist trophy doesn't mean the background can't be a hint of what content will be in the game.

D

Deleted member

I respect Sakurai a lot.

I may hate and despise the Plant, but i am happy with everything else.

I will keep fighting to get Crash in as DLC, but at the moment i feel satisfied with what i have already.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
This...now this is beauty.
View attachment 174748

Lol JK this roster sucks and Ultimate is just a port. I can't believe they picked Mr.Game&Watch over Bubsy the Bobcat. I give it a 7.8/10 too much anime.
:4pacman:
So we'll get PP on the bottom row plus the first three DLC characters, moving random to a new bottom row.
Then the next 2 DLC characters go with random on the new bottom row.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
At this point, I hope we get Steve and a new Fire Emblem and Pokemon character for DLC to punish the ungrateful fans.
What about the grateful fans who still want something cool instead? I give every character a shot, but come on. Don’t advocate Steve. That’s just low.

What do you mean I immediately contradicted myself?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Replace Piranha Plant with ROB and this could be ten years ago.
I remember being legitimately upset about ROB's inclusion back then.

I was also ten years younger, so I was a total ****head.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I still don't get the vitriol against ROB. He is pretty much the entire reason the NES kicked off in the US considering the video game crash that happened. If not for him gaming might have been very different. Even if he is an oddball pick I think he well deserved his spot on the roster

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Couldn't one make the argument that King K. Rool was already confirmed playable even before his Spirit icon was shown? In Smash 4, when K. Rool's mii costume was revealed, I remember people arguing he could still get in because Captain Falcon already had a costume, or something along those lines.
There's no reason a newcomer can't have a chance if they're a Spirit while playable characters already get their own Spirits and they were probably planned :S

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Oh- and here is the exact situation for Vergeben's and the Square enix character~

source

source

I'm wondering if he allowed himself to comment on Geno before because he actually never heard of it's name on his list.
If I recall correctly. He said that SE doesnt care if someone leaks Geno. Whether that means something bad or something good, I´ll leave it to your own judgment.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Well that’s certainly not outside the realm of possibility, although I feel Nintendo would want to keep their reveals in house.

It’s have to be a significant 3rd Party for it to have any impact at an event like that though.
they have revealed something at the game awards the past 2 or 3 years

LetterO

Smash Lord
We could’ve gotten Geno but Sakurai decided to do the epic funny lol XD character instead.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
The DLC characters would’ve been selected at least by Summer 2017 at the latest since Rex and Pyra aren’t going to make it in.

I doubt they were chosen in 2015 unless some of the DLC were characters Sakurai wasn’t able to get done on time. If anything, it’s more of range between 2016-2017.

I also love how Sakurai basically confirmed that Rex is going to be a character soon.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
If DLC can pull through Banjo Kazooie and Geno, that'd be great. With so many hard deconfims today, I can't think of much else that would be DLC worthy, unles they go into the dreaded cross promotion/advertisement territory.

Considering Sakurai himself said that it's up to the player to determine if the season pass is worth it without knowing the 5 characters, and we now have :ultpiranha: (I still cant comprehend this), I have no clue how DLC is gonna go.

Also, imo the greatest loss today was Shadow. I make fun of Sonic all the time but I still love the characters, no matter how campy they are.

And spirits can be cool if we get more cutscenes, the intro was outstanding but the gameplay looks to be crazy orders with stickers. I'm still very dissapointed that trophies were cut.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
If I recall correctly. He said that SE doesnt care if someone leaks Geno. Whether that means something bad or something good, I´ll leave it to your own judgment.
That's something he said, but it's also contradictory with him saying that he never listed ANY names he heard...
Which is true, beside Geno, he never talked about any Square-Enix characters-

D

Deleted member

The DLC characters would’ve been selected at least by Summer 2017 at the latest since Rex and Pyra aren’t going to make it in.

I doubt they were chosen in 2015 unless some of the DLC were characters Sakurai wasn’t able to get done on time. If anything, it’s more of range between 2016-2017.

I also love how Sakurai basically confirmed that Rex is going to be a character soon.
This would benefit Crash if true.

Sora too.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
At this point, I hope we get Steve and a new Fire Emblem and Pokemon character for DLC to punish the ungrateful fans.
Oh no, not Micaiah and Blaziken, or Hector and Zeraora, or a new FE and 8th Gen Pokemon! The pain! You monster!

Oh, and maybe even Tharja and Hawlucha... Hurt me more...

D

Deleted member

This...now this is beauty.
View attachment 174748

Lol JK this roster sucks and Ultimate is just a port. I can't believe they picked Mr.Game&Watch over Bubsy the Bobcat. I give it a 7.8/10 too much anime.
:4pacman:
Probably the best fighting game roster ever. Can't wait to unlock everyone through Spirits!

I've had a change of heart on the Direct. After thinking it all over, it was all pretty good, even if some things rubbed me the wrong way with ATs and how wonky the online looks. All in all, it was pretty good, and this game looks fantastic. I got it preloaded, so it's just a matter of waiting now, lol.

Just 5 more weeks! We're nearly there. =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom