• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
That's something he said, but it's also contradictory with him saying that he never listed ANY names he heard...
Which is true, beside Geno, he never talked about any Square-Enix characters-
And if we put the two pieces together, it means that Geno isnt on the list…….

Or, the more logical answer:

"Square said no"

Like, Geno's problem is that he's always had to fight against Square's juggernauts, and that, despite fan outcry, is an uphill battle.
Yeah. Just looking at SE compared to other companies, it is absolutely lackluster. 1 character, 1 stage, 0 assist trophies, 2 songs. I agree, they probably arent making things easy for Sakurai.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I think DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon deserves some props as well for being such a staunch defender of Box Theory (well, as much props as anyone can deserve for buying into the right speculative theory about a video game on the Internet, haha).

But even to the rest of you out there who always stood by your belief that we'd only get Ken and Incineroar in the base game based on the box's design: nice work deducing the most plausible theory! I was wrong in my doubt of it, and you were right. I was wrong in my skepticism of the legitimacy of Vergeben's information, as well, for that matter, and those of you who never doubted him were right. I have no shame in admitting such, and I look forward to speculating and theorizing about DLC with you all, regardless of who ends up being the most correct! Let the journey begin.
Oh wow I didn't see this at all until now. Thank you, sincerely.

Look, as much as I rag on this fanbase and make generalizations, the fact is I'm a part of it, and I want nothing more than what's best for it. While my definition of "best" may be different than others, in the end all I want is for people to not end up disappointed due to their own hype. I understand that getting your hopes up for something and not getting it, or getting absolutely snubbed hurts. It hurts bad, and I tried to minimize the damage as much as I could.

I'll admit that I'm lucky. When I was younger during Sm4sh speculation I set out, in my opinion, a reasonable top 5 list of characters I wanted (Shulk, Chrom, Palutena, Megaman, and Mewtwo) and got all of (minus Chrom, but Robin more than made up for him, and we got him in Ultimate so its all good). I imagine had any of those characters been excluded I would've been similarly angry and disappointed, but that's a hypothetical.

During Sm4sh speculation I also saw how toxic the community could be, and while at the time I didn't recognize it in retrospect I look back and see it clearly. I also saw it in this game's speculation and knowing that the community is repeating the same mistakes, setting themselves up for the same failure, is rough. It's like Majora's Mask where you know the Moon is going to fall but you don't have the Ocarina of Time and you can't stop it. So you try your best to minimize casualties but in the end you can only watch it unfold in front of you. It's not a good feeling.

I understand that some of you may not like me, my ideas, or the nature with which I conveyed them, but I'd like ya'll to know there's no hard feelings from me. I know it's easy to get caught up in the hype and lose yourself, and when people say that your wrong or that your character that you care about so much won't get in you can get heated. I had me many a heated debate about Shulk back in my day (the way I debate about Sora now is not nearly as heated), so I get it. At the end of the day, we're all here with a common passion and love for Smash Brothers and video games in general. There's no reason to get mad or worked up over anything.

On a side note, I find it funny how I ended up being similar to Burb Burb during Sm4sh speculation, where I disputed many common ideas and theories meant to generate hype and advocated for anti-hype, or a lowering of expectations. I remember disagreeing with Burb a lot during the Sm4sh speculation period, sometimes on principle, sometimes due to blind hype, so it's ironic for me to take his place for this game's speculation. From there, the question becomes:

Who will be the DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon of Smash 6 speculation? Who knows; it may be one of you reading this post right now.

Or I might just come back. There's something about Smash Bros. speculation:

Here's to DLC speculation!

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
People got mad at R.O.B. because it wasn't Ridley or Geno (and/or others).
Now people are mad at Pirahna Plant because it wasn't Geno or Banjo (and/or others).

monadoboy

Smash Lord
There's some funky stuff going on with costumes. Crafted Yoshi, mysterious black hair Shulk, Meta Ridley are still missing, as well as a lot of Little Mac's costumes iirc.

Last edited:

Tew

Smash Apprentice
So, I have 2 questions:

1) While we haven‘t seen the stage builder, they also didn‘t exactly say it isn‘t in there. Granted, I doubt they wouldn’t talk about it, if it is in the game, but it‘s still a possibility imo. Maybe it‘s just the same as in Smash4 or Brawl and they only wanted to mention new/interesting things. (The same kinda goes for Homerun Contest, Break the Target and Smash Run) I just feel like it‘s weird to remove some of these, Stagebuilder/Homerun Contest don‘t seem too hard to make to me. And even thougha bit lackluster, they still added a lot of fun for me.

What do you all think about Stagebuilder, Homerun, Break the Target and Smash Run/Tour? All definitely deconfirmed? Still a chance for some?...

2) The Mii Fighter are still the last in the Character selection screen (even though everyone else is sorted by release number and the Mii Fighter too have a number), does that mean, they still won‘t be tournament/online legal/playable?

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I actually really love the diversity Piranha Plant brings to the roster

Especially to the Mario universe

It ain't a plumber, turtle or princess. It's something completely different!

It's also neat to have a generic enemy playable. We have avatar characters like Villager and Robin so why not an enemy?

Also we have one more villain now!

Graizen

Smash Champion
But i was thinking that the fact that Digimon Survive is on the Switch in 2019
Can realy help Agumon as a DLC

Noipoi

Howdy!
To be fair, it is pretty funny.
It's also not part of the main game. You can skip it entirely, if it bothers you.
Will Will just liked this post...I don't think he's ever liked a single one of my posts since i've started posting.
I feel so honored! I'm not even being sarcastic right now, I actually feel honored!

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
Am I really one of the few people who loved the direct from start to finish?

I wasn't even part of the whole "team"-thing in regards to the Banner/Grinch leak, just wanted to make that clear again. I'm satisfied with pretty much everything that got revealed today. More than, actually.
You and me both buddy, and I was satisfied with Ultimate since E3's reveal. Everything else since then has been icing on the cake for me, and I've loved seeing all the new details emerge from each new infodrop we got.

It's a tad depressing that a lot of people were disappointed with at least certain parts of the direct (if not all of it), but for me personally, I can't help but be more hyped than ever. So much content in this game means I'll have so much fun going through all of it, as Smash games are among the ones I have the most fun reaching 100% completion in.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Will Will just liked this post...I don't think he's ever liked a single one of my posts since i've started posting.
I feel so honored! I'm not even being sarcastic right now, I actually feel honored!
calm down its just a true statement

Iridium

Smash Hero
We don't even have to buy it. You just get the game before Jan 31st and you'll get him for free when it comes out.

Probably wouldn't have bought it otherwise tbh, but I'm happy to get him for free.
True, but I'm so confused by the directions (buying physical), that I'm not sure what to do. You're right, but I need to plan what I need to do.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So was it clarified if DLC was planned in 2015 or more recently? ik Sakurai said "no dlc plans" back at E3 bot I've heard both today.
It seems like he already planned all of the DLC before starting working on them this time (Even though I still think he's BS on saying they're not working on them, I'm sure there is a small team working.) Beside, my man... PR talk.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I'd like to remind everyone that complaining about the characters isn't going to accomplish anything, because, let's be real, you're all going to buy the game and every single bit of DLC that comes out for this game for as long as it releases.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Or, the more logical answer:

"Square said no"

Like, Geno's problem is that he's always had to fight against Square's juggernauts, and that, despite fan outcry, is an uphill battle.
Then why is he a Spirit (iirc)? Why would Square give them the rights to Geno but not as a fighter?

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Wait a minute...

I just realized. What is Kirby going to look like when he swallows Piranha Plant?

The thought scares me a bit.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Yeah, whenever a person such as Shadowknight1 Shadowknight1 likes one of my posts, I'm thinking something a long the lines of "Holy ****, this is a miracle!"

KamikazePotato

Smash Journeyman
I didn't even buy all the DLC for Smash 4, and I pre-ordered the game and Gamecube controllers for that one.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I'd like to remind everyone that complaining about the characters isn't going to accomplish anything, because, let's be real, you're all going to buy the game and every single bit of DLC that comes out for this game for as long as it releases.
Watch everyone reply to this being all like "you can't decide what I do and don't spend my money on"
Sakurai accepted he's gonna be making Smash until the end of time, it's time ya'll (I say ya'll because apparently that makes my opinion at least 30% more valid) accept you're gonna be buying it until the end of time.
I didn't even buy all the DLC for Smash 4, and I pre-ordered the game and Gamecube controllers for that one.
Ya can't prove you didn't. I could say I didn't buy Sm4sh at launch because Bayonetta wasn't in it and that would be a lie even though I was bummed she wasn't in it.

Last edited:

Narr

AN ORB OF MANY TALENTS
NNID
LordChrom
3DS FC
1289-8310-9030
Switch FC
SW 8256 5756 1598
piranha is cool. would've been nice to get a bone piranha alt tho. maybe next time?

Untouch

Smash Master
So was it clarified if DLC was planned in 2015 or more recently? ik Sakurai said "no dlc plans" back at E3 bot I've heard both today.
I think a lot of the DLC is third party, so a lot of the negotiations were already planned in advance.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
guess wii fit trainer has been yeeted from reality.
There is a difference between a joke character and a WTF character.
With WTF characters you can a least understand why they got in (to a certain extent)
I have no idea why a Piranha Plant was needed as a unique fighter.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
The game is good anyways and I already got King K. Rool and Ridley so it's not like this is ruining the game for me at all... but that was a disappointing direct. Like I know that my avvie makes it obvious I was a believer in the Grinch leak, but I'm perfectly willing to admit that it was fake, but the things that were there instead weren't that great imo.

Isaac being an assist ruined my soul. I'd rather him not be in the game at all than suffer a fate worse than death. The fact that they said the DLC was decided early one also completely kills any chance of him being playable. Same horrible fate applies to Waluigi.

Spirits Mode doesn't look nearly as good as Subspace, it feels more like a replacement for event matches rather than having actual levels like the Melee adventure mode and Subspace.

Piranha Plant is just kinda baffling to me. I can understand a wacky addition to the roster, but why not do something from a series that isn't represented? Otherwise it just makes me wish Paper Mario or Geno got in their instead. I know that Piranha Plant didn't "Steal" anyone's spot but a generic enemy that isn't even an important, playable character like Bandanna Dee, getting in just doesn't interest me very much.

So yeah it wasn't a great 40 minutes but I'll still love the game even if I have problems with it like I do with every game.

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
They could start working on Sora by the time Kingdom Hearts 3 launches, Geno doesn't stand a chance against him or Erdrick

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
This is not a good argument. You can add almost any character and people will be happy no matter what. Whether its a highly requested newcomer or a random character no one asked for people will be excited as long as the moveset interests them.

That would be like if Nintendo made all 5 of the DLC characters come from FE three houses and I said "No one can complain because people are happy"
My argument is that what makes a "good pick" is extremely subjective. Joke characters bring with them a certain charm and personality to the game, and help bring diversity to the roster. Having one new joke character isn't that comparable to dedicating all of the DLC to one franchise.

It's fine if you don't like Piranha Plant, not everyone should be expected to like everything, but it's not like his inclusion is some sort of crime like people are making it out to be. Personally I'm more hyped for him then any other newcomer barring Ridley.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Then why is he a Spirit (iirc)? Why would Square give them the rights to Geno but not as a fighter?
Because That's not how rights work. It's not like
"Yo my dude, can I use your characters as a Spirit with an old ass render, Mii Costume, and Fighters?"

This is not like real-life people, this is a fictional product where each use have it's own deal.
You have a deal for Spirit, the way it is used and it's representation.
Mii Costume
Trophies
Fighters
etc...etc...etc...

Guess why Cloud didn't get rekt in the cutscene today?
Or why Sonic only have shade of blue?
Or why Pac-Man is only Yellow?

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I'm disapointed that we didn't get any information about a playable demo.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
My argument is that what makes a "good pick" is extremely subjective. Joke characters bring with them a certain charm and personality to the game, and help bring diversity to the roster. Having one new joke character isn't that comparable to dedicating all of the DLC to one franchise.

It's fine if you don't like Piranha Plant, not everyone should be expected to like everything, but it's not like his inclusion is some sort of crime like people are making it out to be. Personally I'm more hyped for him then any other newcomer barring Ridley.
There are people who are saying it's meant to be a **** you to the fans, and you know, they might be right.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Sakurai never said ATs couldn't be made into DLC fighters, it's just a silly fan rule, I know it's unlikely and all, but hey Sakurai is very unpredictable, the Piranha Plant reveal proved that.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I suppose my gripe with piranha plant is how much creativity and work went into it. If it was just a joke character that couldn't really do anything then I actually might find it funny.

A lot the creative ideas that PP got could have been given to other fighters. The stretching, in particular, could have been Spring Man's thing. But nope. Piranha Plant has it. The poison shooting? That could have been given to Ashley or even a grass type Pokemon. Nope, Piranha Plant. It's a little disheartening to see such cool moves being used on a character litterally no one wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom