• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Kudos to Sakurai again for staying true to Akira Yuki's design when putting him in the game. Pretty much stuck to Virtua Fighter's general graphic look, and it looks good.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Honestly, the OG 8 should've survived the beams and not just Kirby. It would justify all the focus on them in this game...
I imagine the the OG 8 will be among the first you unlock (or at least you'll have the option to).

beans

Smash Lord
So came back with toughts in order and now I feel I can give a fair note to the direct.
"Should've changed places with 8/8"
It left a lot of ATs open to discussions and made it feel much more when they were deconfirmed
It left on a really low note when you compare it to Castlevania reps and King K. Rool

Personal opinions
Spirits were disapointing: its just more management stuff, and even if we get more characters in, its still a really big downgrade from 3D models too jpegs

Online is wonky: its nice the fact you can choose what rule set you can play, buts its not nice to make it so its a coin flip to get something you enjoy

Kencinoroar: Ken is fine, but Incineroar is something I'll never get behind. But those who like him can stay with their Fire Tony the Tiger

Pirana Plant: yea remenber when relevancy to the franchise was a factor to take in. Well **** that. I get the ideas of WTF characters, but you can make an argument for all of them (ROB being important to the NES sales, Duck Hunt being a peripheral like ROB, Game and Watch being a leagacy portable, and Wii Fit Trainer representing the casual audience of the Wii), but when you put a literal mook character in, you just throw it down of a cliff into a volcano like a japanese old man

Lifelight: best thing of the direct, almost made me rethink my bad opinion on the game. Almost. Like really, if it wasnt playing to Smash Tour 2 I would've been pre-ordering the game right now.

DLC: welp **** me, DLC isnt something I can get easily. Really nice to know that characters I maybe legit interested in will just being there taunting me.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I suppose my gripe with piranha plant is how much creativity and work went into it. If it was just a joke character that couldn't really do anything then I actually might find it funny.

A lot the creative ideas that PP got could have been given to other fighters. The stretching, in particular, could have been Spring Man's thing. But nope. Piranha Plant has it. The poison shooting? That could have been given to Ashley or even a grass type Pokemon. Nope, Piranha Plant. It's a little disheartening to see such cool moves being used on a character litterally no one wanted.
The creativity and work that went into the joke character is the joke in itself, and he's a free DLC character that isn't even part of the five packs we're getting.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Seeing so many potential fighters being relegated to spirits is the second biggest tragedy after the AT massacre tbh. Karate Joe and Chorus Kids aren't even good enough to be an AT, let alone a fighter, for example...let that sink in.

Really shows how low Sakurai thinks of some characters.

Ik, ik, be grateful they're even in the game and all that, yes, but still...putting them in as spirits is honestly a rung below AT in terms of importance, and ATs are already a middle finger to whatever character's fanbase. Making them a spirit only is like...two middle fingers.

I know that's not how Sakurai sees them. He probably sees it as "you plebians should be grateful they're even in the game at all" kind of thing. But undoubtedly it's how most people are probably going to see them, and at the least, it shows Sakurai couldn't be bothered to or just flat out didn't want to make a moveset for them.

lltacx

Smash Journeyman
If Vergeben is right for the DLC then i think Sora will be SE's rep. And honestly... if Microsoft joins in then it'll just be Steve, not Banjo. I really don't want to set myself up for disappointment again.

D

Deleted member

I think I’m just getting too riled up because of how disappointing the direct was for me. I was basically dead set on Geno especially when the reveal started with all the Mario characters.
Believe me, I got riled up too. I was dead set on Spirits being a suped up Smash Run and Banjo and Shadow getting revealed, and I got pretty dang salty when none of that happened and hated the Direct. I didn't even really pay attention to the World of Light trailer because I was just so grumpy for a few hours. After calming down though and rereading some press release stuff and rewatching the explanations on Spirits, I pretty much 180ed and started loving all the announcements. Yes, I'm still disappointed with some things, but when choosing to focus on the positives, this Direct gave me:

-Incineroar, a character I thought I'd hate but shockingly now love after seeing him in action.
-Said fire kitty beating up my least favorite newcomer (Ken), making me laugh pretty hard.
-A surprise character, which are always my favorite in a Smash prerelease.
-A unique mode that while looked underwhelming and kinda crummy at first, has potential as long as I keep an open mind and at least try it before bashing it.
-ADVENTURE MODE WITH RPG MECHANICS, HOLLY CRUD WHY DID I IGNORE THIS UNTIL HOURS LATER IT LOOKS SO GOOD.
-A hard number on planned DLC fighters and a season pass announcement, both things I really wanted.

So for me, after weighing the positives and letting go of some of my salt at not getting exactly what I wanted, I found there were plenty of cool things to be happy about personally. Geno isn't out of the running yet: his odds may be slim, but hey, people said the same thing about Ridley and K. Rool, and look what happened.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
But i was thinking that the fact that Digimon Survive is on the Switch in 2019
Can realy help Agumon as a DLC
DLC characters were decided before the main roster cutoff though.

"We decided on which fighters to include when we started planning."

The five characters are already decided on. It's why characters like Rex and Spring Man didn't make it, because DLC was already decided.

Fan demand could come into play with a potential Season 2, but for now the only thing we can do is wait and see who makes the cut.

This is pretty intense lol.
I should really keep this quote hyperlinked or something so I don't lose it lol.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Kudos to Sakurai again for staying true to Akira Yuki's design when putting him in the game. Pretty much stuck to Virtua Fighter's general graphic look, and it looks good.
Oh my god, yes! Thanks for bringing that up, Iridium!

He does look amazing, using the original Virtua Fighter art style. I was actually quite surprised that they did that, but I'm not complaining. ;)

Potato_

Smash Lord
True, but I'm so confused by the directions (buying physical), that I'm not sure what to do. You're right, but I need to plan what I need to do.
It's actually real simple! Once you get the physical copy you have to hit plus over the game (on the Switch home menu), go to "My Nintendo Rewards Program" and hit "Earn points". It'll basically sync the game to your account and recognize that you own it. Then it'll email the code for the plant to the email associated with your Nintendo account.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
So was it clarified if DLC was planned in 2015 or more recently? ik Sakurai said "no dlc plans" back at E3 bot I've heard both today.
as far as i understand, while DLC seems to be already completely planed, i don't think that it was planed back in 2015.
So, I have 2 questions:

1) While we haven‘t seen the stage builder, they also didn‘t exactly say it isn‘t in there. Granted, I doubt they wouldn’t talk about it, if it is in the game, but it‘s still a possibility imo. Maybe it‘s just the same as in Smash4 or Brawl and they only wanted to mention new/interesting things. (The same kinda goes for Homerun Contest, Break the Target and Smash Run) I just feel like it‘s weird to remove some of these, Stagebuilder/Homerun Contest don‘t seem too hard to make to me. And even thougha bit lackluster, they still added a lot of fun for me.

What do you all think about Stagebuilder, Homerun, Break the Target and Smash Run/Tour? All definitely deconfirmed? Still a chance for some?...
I really REALLY REALLY wanted stage builder back.... but is gone jim... its gone.

I mean, they even showed us the "tips" menu. if a feature wasn't shown (specially a feature as big as that one would be) is safe to say that is gone.

I actually really love the diversity Piranha Plant brings to the roster

Especially to the Mario universe

It ain't a plumber, turtle or princess. It's something completely different!

It's also neat to have a generic enemy playable. We have avatar characters like Villager and Robin so why not an enemy?

Also we have one more villain now!
yeah.. my main issue with incieroar is that it wasn't as "exotic" as say lycanrock, or mimikyu could have been... but piranha plant kinda ofsets that. Plus.. i have the feeling that everyone assumes that goomba and koopatroopa are the most popular mario enemies. but i wonder if the mario marketing team have diferent numbers... i mean... i know that the piranha plant merchandise is always there, silently, biding it's time....

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Although the DLC pass is cool and all, I’m not buying it, I’ll just buy DLC characters as they come out.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I wonder how those people who argued against Bandanna Dee due to being "A hat Goomba" are feeling now...

KMDP

Smash Legend
its not nice to make it so its a coin flip to get something you enjoy
It's less of a coin flip and more of a measure to make sure you're still able to play online even if nobody is playing (or available to play) your desired ruleset.

D

Deleted member

So, LeakyPandy seemed to hint at a Dragon Quest reveal for Smash Bros. at the VGA's, what with the whole "politics" thing.

Spawn Wave, however, hints at Sora, and with Sakurai's Background Theory giving us two dice that appear to have a symbol from Kingdom Hearts...
So that means we're getting Sora, because we know that LeakyPandy uses other people's info.

Holy ****.

Spawn Wave is gonna pull a 10-0.

Iridium

Smash Hero
There's some funky stuff going on with costumes. Crafted Yoshi, mysterious black hair Shulk, Meta Ridley are still missing, as well as a lot of Little Mac's costumes iirc.
I don't think I saw this. Do you have any images that you can show?

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Alright folks, I'm gonna make some bold predictions, feel free to bookmark them or whatever.
1. I think trophies will be readded in through an update (depends on how much people complain)
2. We WILL get more dlc besides the fighter packs.
3. We'll probably have the screenshot mode from smash 4 back in some form.
4. All Characters will have costumes

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I mean, is it really that implausible to assume he does, though? Not all of his fans, but definitely certain parts of the fanbase.
I think it's a bit melodramatic to assume that, yeah.

Remember when Sakurai """hated""" Metroid and DK?

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I really hope there are more voiced cutscenes besides the one in the trailer. That was one of the few things I got hyped for in the direct.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
So came back with toughts in order and now I feel I can give a fair note to the direct.
"Should've changed places with 8/8"
It left a lot of ATs open to discussions and made it feel much more when they were deconfirmed
It left on a really low note when you compare it to Castlevania reps and King K. Rool

Personal opinions
Spirits were disapointing: its just more management stuff, and even if we get more characters in, its still a really big downgrade from 3D models too jpegs

Online is wonky: its nice the fact you can choose what rule set you can play, buts its not nice to make it so its a coin flip to get something you enjoy

Kencinoroar: Ken is fine, but Incineroar is something I'll never get behind. But those who like him can stay with their Fire Tony the Tiger

Pirana Plant: yea remenber when relevancy to the franchise was a factor to take in. Well **** that. I get the ideas of WTF characters, but you can make an argument for all of them (ROB being important to the NES sales, Duck Hunt being a peripheral like ROB, Game and Watch being a leagacy portable, and Wii Fit Trainer representing the casual audience of the Wii), but when you put a literal mook character in, you just throw it down of a cliff into a volcano like a japanese old man

Lifelight: best thing of the direct, almost made me rethink my bad opinion on the game. Almost. Like really, if it wasnt playing to Smash Tour 2 I would've been pre-ordering the game right now.

DLC: welp **** me, DLC isnt something I can get easily. Really nice to know that characters I maybe legit interested in will just being there taunting me.
It's like you're reading my mind man! Except for the DLC part

monadoboy

Smash Lord
guess wii fit trainer has been yeeted from reality.
Eh, Wii Fit Trainer comes from one of the biggest games on the Wii and perfectly captures Nintendo's venture into the casual market with the Wii. I don't think she qualifies as a joke character

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
The directs story mode had a .hack vib to it. And even though we have a fighters pack of 5 more characters, lets hope a season 2 Nd dlc outside of the characters is also avaliable.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
When the characters people are most mad about being excluded on a roster of seventy-four are a supporting one-off character from a 20+ year old game, a character that hasn't been playable or prevalent in fifteen years, and a character owned by a direct competitor... kinda speaks to the quality of the roster.

KMDP

Smash Legend
inb4 they make my boi a late rescue, making the OG 8 theme even MORE shallow than it already was because of the way they treat him...
Here's hoping that's not the case.
It's actually real simple! Once you get the physical copy you have to hit plus over the game (on the Switch home menu), go to "My Nintendo Rewards Program" and hit "Earn points". It'll basically sync the game to your account and recognize that you own it. Then it'll email the code for the plant to the email associated with your Nintendo account.
Thanks, I was wondering about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom