• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Is it just me or does it seem like insiders have seen more than Ken and Incineroar? If they're right and the Grinch leak is fake, it seems like the box theory is still most likely wrong.
There’s at least one other character that’s been said but that one seems like it may be DLC

NastCF

Smash Apprentice
For the 100th time dudes, goddamn. The reason the Grinch leak has legitimacy isn't because of the roster image, Jesus Christ, but because of the CIRCUMSTANCES SURROUNDING IT.

Ofc anyone could fake the Smash Mural. That's never been the reason people clung to it. People believe it, because EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT IT MAKES IT SEEMS ACTUALLY LEGIT. That's why the background debunk is so ****ing ********. Because none of us are hung up on the quality of something that's relatively easy to fake, but rather the insane CIRCUMSTANCES that it would take for this to be fake in the first place.

Is it REALLY that hard for people to understand that? The reason this makes the Rayman leak look like a goddamn joke, is because that proved that anyone could put any effort into making a leak look AUTHENTIC. But NO ONE has ever tried to legitimize a leak by proving providing an identity, and a company, and other authentic material made by a professional, putting ALL these individuals and leaks in the process. And the effort necessary to fake this, is MONUMENTALLY larger than any leak ever. That's what makes this real, not the goddamn image, holy ****.
Will you... please chill. Like I know I was sassy in my comment but you really need to calm down.

My point was mostly that information which supposedly supports this leak stems from what we can -see- in the photo, and all that we can see has been shown to be possible to fake, whether it'd be easy or difficult.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
How about we all just assume this leak is fake until we have actual evidence from Nintendo or Sakurai themselves that it could be real.

That way we can all hype responsibly while also taking a more critical perspective on the situation, void of our own emotions.
You're talking about the Smash Bros. fandom here. It's impossible for most people to separate their emotions from their thoughts.

Last edited:

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Also, I wouldn’t quote the backstory to the leak as a strong point anymore because it’s definitely a ****ing mess since we don’t know who actually leaked it.

Umbrus

Smash Rookie
If this leak is real... when are we gonna find out everything? We have 42 days left. The clock is ticking.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I am so glad I started posting on this site when I did. This week has been the best thing ever. Terrible time at work and this thread has been keeping me sane. This is a wild ride. Real or fake, I cannot WAIT for this game!

ButterGeek

Smash Apprentice
This whole thing just feels like a dream
A smash leak without the one character I want that somehow involves a 50 year old French guy, Snapchat and for some reason the Grinch in few different ways, a whole civil war of TeamReal vs TeamFake
Like really this is just a dream isn't it?
Maybe it's because I'm sleepy as hell

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So while everyone is bending over backwards trying to prove/disprove the leak, has anyone stopped to consider that this man from the printshop is likely having his life torn apart by random people trying to contact him out of nowhere? Whether he is actually involved or not, his name is attached to this and it's not going to end well for him. Just something to think about.
If you ask me I'd rather be that intern who leaked Bloody Tears right now.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So while everyone is bending over backwards trying to prove/disprove the leak, has anyone stopped to consider that this man from the printshop is likely having his life torn apart by random people trying to contact him out of nowhere? Whether he is actually involved or not, his name is attached to this and it's not going to end well for him. Just something to think about.
Yeah, it's a nasty situation, particularly if it isn't even him who's responsible for the leak as has been theorized. Luckily this madness shouldn't go on for much longer, but it's probably hell for him atm.

I would say it's the same reason. We are being tricked by the quality and artifacts. Certain colors tend to move caused by the same reason and this leads to the illusion that the crystals are indeed in different shapes and positions (I think the use of "totally different" is exaggerating too much tough). Look at the original leak with all the new characters and compare them with the official clean image.

View attachment 172372

Pac-Man for example just looks like a total red mess caused by the compression and motion of the video. See how there's some extra red parts that are not present in the real one:

View attachment 172373
I was just trying to make an argument against these sort of distortions a few pages back, but I gotta hand it to you. Have a virtual handshake and admission of defeat.

Last edited:

IcyBrawler

Smash Apprentice
I think it's real and I'm sticking with that. If it's fake, I will gladly hold that L.

I believe Ryce, I don't think I've seen him be wrong about anything (besides Ant-Man). But now that he's basically saying that he isn't sure, and all these other insiders are flip-flopping their opinion from "no way it's real, I believe my sources" to "well... it could happen" I think it's safe to say no one really knows. Maybe it's because of leak bait, maybe it's because certain fighters are DLC, maybe it's outdated info, I don't know. But obviously very few if any actually know what is going on right now.

We have insiders claiming they have sources that say Banjo is confirmed, others say only Ken/Incineroar is happening, then some are saying 3-9 characters are getting in but maybe not the ones from the leak. Like WTF? And all the insiders with said sources claim most of them can be trusted, and yet there is such conflicting info. Again, obviously no one knows what is actually going on. I don't think anyone is being paid off or any conspiracies like that, I think people simply have no idea what is really going on. That's all.

Now it seems some of the differences between the real banner arts and the leak art could really be because of motion blur, compression, lighting, etc. Which means some of the points we had against the leak may have just been thrown out the window and we are back at the beginning with almost nothing against it.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Is it just me or does it seem like insiders have seen more than Ken and Incineroar? If they're right and the Grinch leak is fake, it seems like the box theory is still most likely wrong.
For some reason, I do have a funny feeling that it could still be possible that both the insiders who stated about Ken and Inceniroar along with the Grinch leak is legit.

Anyways, I guess we will have our answer soon enough as time progresses.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
That still doesn't explain the crystals being in totally different shapes and positions.
I would say it's the same reason. We are being tricked by the quality and artifacts. Certain colors tend to move caused by the same reason and this leads to the illusion that the crystals are indeed in different shapes and positions (I think the use of "totally different" is exaggerating too much tough). Look at the original leak with all the new characters and compare them with the official clean image.

View attachment 172372

Pac-Man for example just looks like a total red mess caused by the compression and motion of the video. See how there's some extra red parts that are not present in the real one:

View attachment 172373[/QUOTE]

Holy **** stop you are killing them

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
i have jiggle physics for no reason no matter what i'm wearing
TB is the fanservice character who gets the body pillows which is obvious

I think it's real and I'm sticking with that. If it's fake, I will gladly hold that L.

I believe Ryce, I don't think I've seen him be wrong about anything (besides Ant-Man). But now that he's basically saying that he isn't sure, and all these other insiders are flip-flopping their opinion from "no way it's real, I believe my sources" to "well... it could happen" I think it's safe to say no one really knows. Maybe it's because of leak bait, maybe it's because certain fighters are DLC, maybe it's outdated info, I don't know. But obviously very few if any actually know what is going on right now.

We have insiders claiming they have sources that say Banjo is confirmed, others say only Ken/Incineroar is happening, then some are saying 3-9 characters are getting in but maybe not the ones from the leak. Like WTF? And all the insiders with said sources claim most of them can be trusted, and yet there is such conflicting info. Again, obviously no one knows what is actually going on. I don't think anyone is being paid off or any conspiracies like that, I think people simply have no idea what is really going on. That's all.

Now it seems some of the differences between the real banner arts and the leak art could really be because of motion blur, compression, lighting, etc. Which means some of the points we had against the leak may have just been thrown out the window and we are back at the beginning with almost nothing against it.
Seriously? Last I saw Ryce was pretty convinced.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
It has been a while since I posted here helping with the ESRB leak from Smash 3DS. Hi everybody :p

So here's something you can try with the background if you have photoshop, and understand what happens to the image because of the low quality and artifacts caused by the recording.

Let's compare the clean background with the leaked background. Look at the spots marked in red, which are (at least to me) the most suspicious spots in the image.

View attachment 172360

Now, let's apply a filter to the clean background: Filter > Noise > Median.

See what happens to the waterfalls if I increase the value of the filter:
View attachment 172363

The waterfall from the right tends to dissapear, just like in the leaked image.

And this is what happens to the castle area:

View attachment 172364

Doesn't it look a lot more like the leaked image? I just played with the "median" filter in photoshop, that's all. You can try!

So, yeah... My point is that we have been look at the same exact background all the time, but it has been severely modified because of quality and artifacts stuff. Don't forget we are looking at the screenshot of a video in motion of a draft print.

(If you want the same result, apply Median 19 for the waterfalls and Median 28 for the castle area).
You've introduced a dozen new artifacts in your quest to achieve one or two similar artifacts.

Noipoi

Howdy!
This whole thing just feels like a dream
A smash leak without the one character I want that somehow involves a 50 year old French guy, Snapchat and for some reason the Grinch in few different ways, a whole civil war of TeamReal vs TeamFake
Like really this is just a dream isn't it?
Maybe it's because I'm sleepy as hell
There's still some hope, hang in there. It's not over till' it's over!

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
And YOU were the one telling me not to be a braggart the other night.

Irony.
???

I'm just saying it's good evidence and that Team Real (why the **** do we even have teams here? Can't we just debate the merits and demerits of the leak without grouping into factions?) hasn't presented solid conclusive evidence like this yet.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Hey guys, just wanted to stop in and offer a download to the PSD I've been using to compare various versions of the banner to see if the background has changed. So far, I've got the Wendy's truck, the 21752px wide E3 banner (post-ridley), the off-screen empty banner from the E3, the most recent website banner, and the empty background from the leak.

If you guys can provide links to other versions of the banner, I can add them as well. If updated, it'll still be downloadable from the same link. =)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dh2k3q1pr58p870/smash banner comparison.psd?dl=0
Thankfully I have a link to 8/8 banner handy.
https://www.pidgi.net/wiki/images/6/62/Illustration_-_Super_Smash_Bros_Ultimate.jpg

D

Deleted member

I really, really wish people would stop spreading his name around and linking to his stuff. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he started deleting pages. Not because it has anything to do with this being real or not, but because people who don't understand personal privacy and boundaries are hounding him.

Seriously guys, leave this gentleman alone. People were censoring his name in information posts for a reason, because now that people have spread awareness to who he is, the crazier, obsessed parts of the fandom are gonna give him nothing but grief, stress, and unwarranted harassment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
At this point, I want a Smash Speculation anime. It would last for 40 episodes on each part of Smash Spec. (Teaser Saga, E3 Saga, August Saga, Grinch Saga, Release is a 10 part finale).
Where does Sassy Geno fit in?

NotLiquid

Smash Lord
Here's the thing, burden of proof falls on the leaker.

That said, I am still open to the possibility of it being real. I'm just going to need more actual evidence in its favor to be convinced.
Pac-man is a little blurred there, but it still has nothing on those crystals.
I'm talking about these crystals, for the record.
View attachment 172375
That crystal on the right looks like it's in a "totally different" shape and position to me. I made sure to line the two images up to before I cropped them down like this, so I didn't just move one of the to the side.
Yeah, I dunno. Props for trying to propose that you could depict a potential scenario where the chunk goes missing with enough blur and trickery but there's still stuff that compression and artifacts can't explain away that easily

Flon

Smash Cadet
Not really using this to prove any side, but I do find it interesting that the leaked mural has more similarities to the Simon Belmont mural than the Isabelle mural. Forgive the poor gif comparisons.

Simon Belmot: Dr. Mario, Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, Sonic identicle. Captain Falcon, Robin, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Ryu, Palutena, Ridley identicle.

Isabelle: All previous mentioned have now been shifted back.

EDIT: as pointed out, there are different versions of the official mural art. Interesting!

Last edited:

Carfax

Smash Rookie
I think Banjo was teased in the Everyone is Here trailer...

At the end of the trailer, Yoshi is inexplicably shown laying an egg of Luigi.
I looked into this months ago but I thought my theories were too hair-brained. However, considering recent events I don't think they're AS crazy anymore..
4 things stuck out to me about this scene.
  1. Obviously it happened after the Title Screen.
  2. Both characters are green.
  3. The character's numbers are 5 & 9.
  4. Luigi missiles on to screen, lays down with his taunt and Yoshi lays him in an egg.
There may be more or less to the messaging of this scene but here are some things I've come up with.
  • Smashbros' 59th character is Duck Hunt Duo. This combined with Yoshi laying an egg of Luigi could have been a hint to Banjo Kazooie. It wouldn't surprise me if Sakurai did this, considering his red eyes tweet and the golden sun battle reference. Both characters being green could also be a possible reference to Microsoft and the Xbox.
  • These 2 characters appearing after the title screen could be a possible allusion to 2 add on characters available post launch. From the Grinch leak, we know there are 6 echo fighters and 10 newcomers. Perhaps the 5 and 9 represent the number of echo fighters/newcomers in the base game.
If anybody can think of other conclusions let us know. Regardless of my theories, there was definitely SOMETHING going on with this scene in the trailer.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'm pretty happy nobody's questioned exactly why I've said I think it's real
It's better that way

Less effort on my part and more fun for me altogether

Where does Sassy Geno fit in?
he doesn't fit in at all and that's why he listens to my chemical romance

KMDP

Smash Legend
Here is a cleared-up of the banner, courtesy of Tr1pleDee on Reddit:

View attachment 172379

It also makes it easier to see the unrevealed characters.

He said it took him an insane amount of effort to do. So either the leaker went through a ludicrous amount of effort to create this, do a bunch of research to gain false credibility, and post it on Snapchat of all places, or the leak is real.

You know, I really think I can see Skull Kid sitting either in front of or besides Mach Rider.

It looks like Mach Rider's bike is facing 45° left and Skull Kid is sitting next to the bike to me.
Disclaimer: I'm nowhere near being a Skull Kid supporter, I couldn't care less about him.
They definitely have
Main point is that "Incineroar AND ANOTHER CHARACTER ain't in there"
See above. Maybe the "Another Character" is Skull Kid.

Last edited:

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Here is a cleared-up of the banner, courtesy of Tr1pleDee on Reddit:

View attachment 172379

It also makes it easier to see the unrevealed characters.

He said it took him an insane amount of effort to do. So either the leaker went through a ludicrous amount of effort to create this, do a bunch of research to gain false credibility, and post it on Snapchat of all places, or the leak is real.
Cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom