• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It absolutely does. It's getting so frustrating to see people so hung up on the background thing, when the inconsistencies are have been easily explainable from the goddamn start, yet everyone is stubbornly clinging to this no matter what you tell them about it. It's genuinely starting to irritate me.
Some of the inconsistencies are explained.

Just because some of them are doesn't mean they all are.

Noipoi

Howdy!
It has been a while since I posted here helping with the ESRB leak from Smash 3DS. Hi everybody :p

So here's something you can try with the background if you have photoshop, and understand what happens to the image because of the low quality and artifacts caused by the recording.

Let's compare the clean background with the leaked background. Look at the spots marked in red, which are (at least to me) the most suspicious spots in the image.

View attachment 172360

Now, let's apply a filter to the clean background: Filter > Noise > Median.

See what happens to the waterfalls if I increase the value of the filter:
View attachment 172363

The waterfall from the right tends to dissapear, just like in the leaked image.

And this is what happens to the castle area:

View attachment 172364

Doesn't it look a lot more like the leaked image? I just played with the "median" filter in photoshop, that's all. You can try!

So, yeah... My point is that we have been look at the same exact background all the time, but it has been severely modified because of quality and artifacts stuff. Don't forget we are looking at the screenshot of a video in motion of a draft print.

(If you want the same result, apply Median 19 for the waterfalls and Median 28 for the castle area).
e8a.gif

I T ' S H A P P E N I N G

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Why do so many people take the word of insider's over VISUAL evidence. That's why I'M confused. Is it because they're 'popular'?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I have a gut feeling this isn’t the case, but I’m a ****ing ******* who isn’t smart enough to have his own opinions so imma just agree because I really want this to be real.
1518747680128.jpg

You can't just blindly agree on the grounds of bias and expect to take it legitimately because he wrote an ubiquitous arrangement of lexicon.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Vergeben's Smash record isn't completely bulletproof, suggesting areas of misinformation.

He specifically said that the Wii U cast + Snake and Wolf would return not every veteran. Indicating he had no knowledge of the likes of Pichu, Young Link and such. He never publicly listed K. Rool, any of our echo fighters or Richter either.

D

Deleted member

It has been a while since I posted here helping with the ESRB leak from Smash 3DS. Hi everybody :p

So here's something you can try with the background if you have photoshop, and understand what happens to the image because of the low quality and artifacts caused by the recording.

Let's compare the clean background with the leaked background. Look at the spots marked in red, which are (at least to me) the most suspicious spots in the image.

View attachment 172360

View attachment 172363

View attachment 172364

Doesn't it look a lot more like the leaked image? I just played with the "median" filter in photoshop, that's all. You can try!

So, yeah... My point is that we have been look at the same exact background all the time, but it has been severely modified because of quality and artifacts stuff. Don't forget we are looking at the screenshot of a video in motion of a draft print.

(If you want the same result, apply Median 19 for the waterfalls and Median 28 for the castle area).
This makes things very interesting...

Anyone wanna try to figure out the consistency problems with the crystals? 'Cause if people can shoot down the background problems, that's a huge blow to us Team Fake people.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Why do so many people take the word of insider's over VISUAL evidence. That's why I'M confused. Is it because they're 'popular'?
The visual evidence has flaws and most of the insiders have proven track records, that's all.

Some people need more than blurry movie screencaps to be convinced.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Because... they're insiders? Being an insider means you just know? Does that mean they are actual insiders? I don't know, maybe so maybe not. Not hard to understand why people follow them though.

NoPLo

Smash Cadet
NNID
NoploSnowman
That still doesn't explain the crystals being in totally different shapes and positions.[/QUOTE]

I would say it's the same reason. We are being tricked by the quality and artifacts. Certain colors tend to move caused by the same reason and this leads to the illusion that the crystals are indeed in different shapes and positions (I think the use of "totally different" is exaggerating too much tough). Look at the original leak with all the new characters and compare them with the official clean image.

1540590083948.png

Pac-Man for example just looks like a total red mess caused by the compression and motion of the video. See how there's some extra red parts that are not present in the real one:

1540590190202.png

Last edited:

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord

View attachment 172360

View attachment 172363

View attachment 172364

Sir can i have your autograph

D

Deleted member

I'm not going to go out of my way to prove a leak true or false. It's just that there's three facts that make me have a really hard time believing it's entirely the camera which are..

1) Most of the difference in the background take place in places that are obscured by characters in the ESRB version.

2) The character portraits aren't distorted nearly as much as the background is when they should be effected the same.

3) Those crystals didn't just blur, they changed positions entirely. I don't see how any ammount of blur can prove that.

The burden of proof is on the leaker. Although if you want me to believe that, why don't you go through all the steps you listed and prove to me those crystals can change shape and positions through snapchat blur and compression alone?
Exactly. The issue here is that you refuse to believe it, cause you're not convinced, and you're unaware of just how much camera quality and compression affect an image, and just how radically they can change it.

Thus, the only way to effectively convince you is to have you recreate the exact same conditions under which the snapchat screens were taken, and see for yourself just how much your own images get distorted. Literally, apply the scientific method to it. If you're not willing to that far, yet insist on clinging to that dumb argument, then that's on you. The background debunk is as equally stupid as the "Shulk is a photoshopped L.Mac" debate from the ESRB. It's probably the dumbest way to try and debunk the Grinch Leak. Which I do think COULD have better angles that I wish people who wanna prove is fake would approach and explore, but everyone is so hung up on believing the backgrounds being different is strong enough evidence to prove the leak could be faked.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Exactly. The issue here is that you refuse to believe it, cause you're not convinced, and you're unaware of just how much camera quality and compression affect an image, and just how radically they can change it.

Thus, the only way to effectively convince you is to have you recreate the exact same conditions under which the snapchat screens were taken, and see for yourself just how much your own images get distorted. Literally, apply the scientific method to it. If you're not willing to that far, yet insist on clinging to that dumb argument, then that's on you. The background debunk is as equally stupid as the "Shulk is a photoshopped L.Mac" debate from the ESRB. It's probably the dumbest way to try and debunk the Grinch Leak. Which I do think COULD have better angles that I wish people who wanna prove is fake would approach and explore, but everyone is so hung up on believing the backgrounds being different is strong enough evidence to prove the leak could be faked.
Jeez, who stole your Christmas?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

View attachment 172360

View attachment 172363

View attachment 172364

Dude you may have just proved my point on lighting and the blurry and forgot to mention this one camera movement may remove important factors of the photo that make it seem fake

can you check the crystals in that as well

The castle and crystals is what team fake is pointing out the most (you did the castle already)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Because they're usually right.
Man, I sure do remember Mother 3 being localized.

And Smash Wii U Deluxe being a launch port for the Switch.

Yeaaaaaah let's not jump the gun there. They are right as much as they are wrong, and it is 100% possible for them to be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero
All this over some crystals and waterfalls.

I'm not a graphic artist expert. I can't get too into the nitty gritty about it.

But Grinch refuses to die after three solid days of investigation.

At this point I'm just along for the ride.

Tyrathius

Smash Cadet
Oh god, the hype is returning. I'm trying to keep it under control until official confirmation comes, but dammit I want this to be real.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

View attachment 172360

View attachment 172363

View attachment 172364

I'm sure some megamind will slap this down and we'll all be sad tonight but, as of right now?
tenor.gif

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Man, I sure do remember Mother 3 being localized.

And Smash Wii U Deluxe being a launch port for the Switch.

Yeaaaaaah let's not jump the gun there. They are right as much as they are wrong, and it is 100% possible for them to be wrong.
I suppose I should've specified Ultimate-wise haha
Believe me I know. I recall insiders confirming Shovel Knight was in as DLC for 4!

D

Deleted member

I would say it's the same reason. We are being tricked by the quality and artifacts. Certain colors tend to move caused by the same reason and this leads to the illusion that the crystals are indeed in different shapes and positions (I think the use of "totally different" is exaggerating too much tough). Look at the original leak with all the new characters and compare them with the official clean image.

View attachment 172372

Pac-Man for example just looks like a total red mess caused by the compression and motion of the video. See how there's some extra red parts that are not present in the real one:

View attachment 172373
Man or girl, i want to marry you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
You know... Critiquing the "official" art kinda WAS the main crux of the Team Fake argument back in the ESRB times...

Just another funny coincidence.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

View attachment 172360

View attachment 172363

View attachment 172364

This might be it guys. :starman:

Last edited:

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Absolutely. I have yet to see a single thing have a consensus come to, and I'm beginning to think we all like the sound of our own voices, because I've also yet to see a single thing taken to heart by the opposing side.
We all agree that if this is fake it's one of the most impressive fakes ever made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom