• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beans

Smash Lord
What are the chances for a direct next week? I am aware of the rumored Nov 8 date, I just want a consensus.
With the even november 2nd in mind, I think the chances have gone up.
They were tiny but its about geting better, not getting good

Trisepta

Smash Cadet
Hi there!

Please take a look at this handy pyramid:

What you're doing is called a contradiction, and is a complete and utter waste of both of our time. Please use this handy pyramid to build better arguments that are more constructive toward our discussion.

Have a nice day! :)
Okay. I'm going to make an in-depth post on the whole background situation.
Also, if you'd like I can point out all of the fallacies in your posts. For example, your post I was replying to was an "appeal to authority" fallacy.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Atleast papageno kind of told what his source said

It knew about banjo but the other 6 thought were true but with no proof they felt the banner was the smoking gun for the other 6

And just like with the other creditable papagenos source is also saying “where’s incineroar?”

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
And herein lies the problem that's been causing hundreds of pages worth of arguments. This is all presumptive. I've made it clear that I'm sitting on the fence for that exact reason, because there is literally no definitive proof one way or the other that you could give. Just to make it clear, for a hundredth time - I'm only arguing because I want to test every single hole in this leak.

And there, now when it turns out to be real I've saved face!
To be fair, the exact reason I made that comment was to minimize the amount of pages of arguments by addressing an obvious counterpoint to my argument right away rather than waiting for someone to point it out and then respond. I wasn't trying to accuse you of anything.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So did we ever get a confirmation on whether the Tour Bus' background matched the leak or not? I keep hearing different answers from different people.
That mural from the Tour Bus was the pre-Isabelle one. You can check yourself - she's not behind Little Mac and Cloud like she should be. So no, the background wasn't different, people were just claiming it was.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Also, if you'd like I can point out all of the fallacies in your posts. For example, your post I was replying to was an "appeal to authority" fallacy.
Vaan has you covered
Everything you're gonna say has been said from what I understand
I wouldn't waste your time aha; background is pretty solid "yes" or "no" at this point you know?

MainJPW

M.T.A
It has been a while since I posted here helping with the ESRB leak from Smash 3DS. Hi everybody :p

So here's something you can try with the background if you have photoshop, and understand what happens to the image because of the low quality and artifacts caused by the recording.

Let's compare the clean background with the leaked background. Look at the spots marked in red, which are (at least to me) the most suspicious spots in the image.

View attachment 172360

Now, let's apply a filter to the clean background: Filter > Noise > Median.

See what happens to the waterfalls if I increase the value of the filter:
View attachment 172363

The waterfall from the right tends to dissapear, just like in the leaked image.

And this is what happens to the castle area:

View attachment 172364

Doesn't it look a lot more like the leaked image? I just played with the "median" filter in photoshop, that's all. You can try!

So, yeah... My point is that we have been look at the same exact background all the time, but it has been severely modified because of quality and artifacts stuff. Don't forget we are looking at the screenshot of a video in motion of a draft print.

(If you want the same result, apply Median 19 for the waterfalls and Median 28 for the castle area).

Pack it up.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
So at this point, the only inconsistencies tackling are the crystals since some blurring, motion, and median work can make locations blend together or disappear?

Inb4 another counter comes up

Rigumaro

Smash Apprentice
It has been a while since I posted here helping with the ESRB leak from Smash 3DS. Hi everybody :p

So here's something you can try with the background if you have photoshop, and understand what happens to the image because of the low quality and artifacts caused by the recording.

Let's compare the clean background with the leaked background. Look at the spots marked in red, which are (at least to me) the most suspicious spots in the image.

View attachment 172360

View attachment 172363

View attachment 172364

Doesn't it look a lot more like the leaked image? I just played with the "median" filter in photoshop, that's all. You can try!

So, yeah... My point is that we have been look at the same exact background all the time, but it has been severely modified because of quality and artifacts stuff. Don't forget we are looking at the screenshot of a video in motion of a draft print.

(If you want the same result, apply Median 19 for the waterfalls and Median 28 for the castle area).
This is very interesting. On the other hand, if the video compression caused this, wouldn't it have caused many other parts to also be different? And why did it only change stuff on the areas that were blocked by characters on every instance of the illustration?

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord

View attachment 172360

View attachment 172363

View attachment 172364

I mean, yeah this really works!

D

Deleted member

Ah yes, the picture is so blurry that it flipped some crystals around, moved them to the right, and changed their shape a little. Just totally normal camera blur. We know it's normal cause some guy on Reddit said they no a guy who said so. :4pacman:
That still doesn't explain the crystals being in totally different shapes and positions.
Ok, ****ing hell.

You guys wanna prove the leak is because of background inconsistencies. Do the following:

- PRINT the E3 poster on cardboard.

- Make sure it has a SLIGHT convex curvature to it horizontally.

- Set it on the table.

- Download Snapchat on your phone.

- Take a video of it from the same angle.

- Send that video to a friend, and have them take screencaps.

- Compare the three. The leak, your print. The E3 one.

- Do this multiple times, and take note of how many differences you can spot with each experiment you make.

FFS, this is getting ridiculous.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

View attachment 172360

View attachment 172363

View attachment 172364

What happens if you do this on the crystals?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

View attachment 172360

View attachment 172363

View attachment 172364

This...this is a great ****ing post.

That blows things wide open imo.

Like not that i’m 100% on this, but that at least presents some sort of comparison.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
This is very interesting. On the other hand, if the video compression caused this, wouldn't it have caused many other parts to also be different? And why did it only change stuff on the areas that were blocked by characters on every instance of the illustration?
It's about to go down boys

VGPhaze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
philms91
3DS FC
2664-2113-7159
Maybe those areas in the background were blurred slightly more in the final banner to create depth of field?

D

Deleted member

Absolutely, go right ahead. That's what you're supposed to be doing. That's what promotes good and healthy debate, and prevents us from running in circles on pointless and meaningless things.

andres22

Smash Cadet

At this point I don't care if it is real or fake, the ****posting during this period of speculation has far surpassed that of Sm4sh

Androobie

Banned via Warnings

View attachment 172360

View attachment 172363

View attachment 172364

I have a gut feeling this isn’t the case, but I’m a ****ing dumbass who isn’t smart enough to have his own opinions so imma just agree because I really want this to be real.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Well, whichever way the end result goes in terms of the leaked roster or the insider claims, I'm still happy and satisfied with the final roster.
I am 95% satisfied (this is still going to be among the best Smash games regardless).

Having Isaac (and Shadow) will push this to 100% Satisfaction.

If I get another character on my want list as DLC? Then... well... I'll be beyond satisfied.

SushiRoll

Smash Apprentice
Ok so as someone who is brand new to this, and has zero stock in the supposed 'credible leakers' saying Ken + Incineroar, why are these people's words taken so seriously by so many?

I'm not calling them liars, I'm just wondering why so many people think there's no way they're wrong.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I'm just in that group of people who literally doesn't care how this roster goes at this point, as what we have should be good enough. I'll still have hope for various characters, but I also hope we don't go crazy because of this all.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226

View attachment 172360

View attachment 172363

View attachment 172364

Big Brain my boy

That is f***ing BIG BRAIN man!

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Ok so as someone who is brand new to this, and has zero stock in the supposed 'credible leakers' saying Ken + Incineroar, why are these people's words taken so seriously by so many?

I'm not calling them liars, I'm just wondering why so many people think there's no way they're wrong.
Because they have very rarely been wrong in the past.
Vergeben has never been wrong regarding Smash beyond a leak he disowned back in March-even then that's one strike against him.

sup my dudes.

Gimme the rundown: is the leak still a Schrödinger's Cat?
Very much so

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Ok, ****ing hell.

You guys wanna prove the leak is because of background inconsistencies. Do the following:

- PRINT the E3 poster on cardboard.

- Make sure it has a SLIGHT convex curvature to it horizontally.

- Set it on the table.

- Download Snapchat on your phone.

- Take a video of it from the same angle.

- Send that video to a friend, and have them take screencaps.

- Compare the three. The leak, your print. The E3 one.

- Do this multiple times, and take note of how many differences you can spot with each experiment you make.

FFS, this is getting ridiculous.
I'm not going to go out of my way to prove a leak true or false. It's just that there's three facts that make me have a really hard time believing it's entirely the camera which are..

1) Most of the difference in the background take place in places that are obscured by characters in the ESRB version.

2) The character portraits aren't distorted nearly as much as the background is when they should be effected the same.

3) Those crystals didn't just blur, they changed positions entirely. I don't see how any ammount of blur can prove that.

The burden of proof is on the leaker. Although if you want me to believe that, why don't you go through all the steps you listed and prove to me those crystals can change shape and positions through snapchat blur and compression alone?

D

Deleted member

This...this is a great ****ing post.

That blows things wide open imo.
It absolutely does. It's getting so frustrating to see people so hung up on the background thing, when the inconsistencies are have been easily explainable from the goddamn start, yet everyone is stubbornly clinging to this no matter what you tell them about it. It's genuinely starting to irritate me.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I find it funny that the "notice how these areas are the only ones covered up by characters" point keeps getting brought up when the same dang background is in the same leak image without the characters.

Anyway, I assume the video artifacting would affect other areas differently due to it depending on certain colors.

Raspberry

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 172360

View attachment 172363

View attachment 172364

Words cannot express how much I love you

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

All these people, with multiple different sources as some claim visual and the fact people with both mixed AND spotless records are claiming this

KMDP

Smash Legend

They've got proven track records of being accurate with information with other games (naturally, some of them have some failures, but not everyone's going to have a 100% Success Rate).

Vergeben is probably the most shaky of all of them (he's been super wrong about MvC:I and DB:FZ), but he's had pretty much a 100% success rate with Smash so far.

Last edited:

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
Absolutely, go right ahead. That's what you're supposed to be doing. That's what promotes good and healthy debate, and prevents us from running in circles on pointless and meaningless things.
I'ma be honest here and say that I feel it's unhealthy to look at this whole thing as a debate. A debate has a winner and a loser. A discussion does not. Going into this in a debate mindset is 100% the reason things are consistently getting heated and why we've had, like, 5 posts telling the thread to chill tf out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom