• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I like Sonic 06...

For it's music

And that one scene when Shadow kicked Silver in the back of the head (I love Shadow in this game)

And.... that's about it.
Cutscenes, music, Shadow, that's it for me.

Also, as underdeveloped as she is, I liked Elise and her relationship with Sonic (when it's not romantic).

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I wish you luck my friend. Hope you get into your top choice.

It depends on where you apply. Trying to get into Ivy League schools (like I attempted) is extremely difficult but doable. As long as you find a school that you can envision yourself going to, the work will be worth it (take it from someone who just started college)

I like Sonic 06...

For it's music

And that one scene when Shadow kicked Silver in the back of the head (I love Shadow in this game)

And.... that's about it.
That should totally be Shadow's Chaos Control counter. *Freezes opponent, Kick to the back of the head*

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
As a person working in childcare...

If they want to appeal to kids...

They finally nailed it. This is the right difficulty.

When I worked with fourth graders, one who played almost nothing but Pokémon thought X and Y were too hard.

That should put things into perspective. A lot of fans can't put themselves into the eyes of a kid anymore. Kids are dumber then before or anything like that. But you need to remember that many kids only got through older Pokémon games because you can brute force it.
It's a perspective I keep. I remember Red being hard as hell-- I failed against Koga like five times in a row and HATED him. I was also nine. My friend from church who was two years older than me traded me his lvl.60-something Charizard to help me beat him before I traded him back.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm really not worried about Pokemon 2019. People loved Sun and Moon at release and most hate for them just came from post-USUM revisionism. Those games also started taking their first steps at finally shaking up the Pokemon formula for once.

Yes Let's Go is going backwards on this, but GF implied that Pokemon 2019 will be more geared towards core pokemon fans so I expect the most likely scenerio is for it to continue down the Sun / Moon route. And while Let's Go probably won't sell poorly, I have a hunch that Pokemon 2019 will do better unless they really screw it up.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Because I have no life without Ultimate, I went ahead and made the most current list of fighters the Blog hasn't put up yet. Only 15 left. At the current rate of 3 per week, we have five weeks left if they want to give everyone a post before the game launches. Because we don't have the time to do that without doing multiple characters a day, I think it's safe to say there will be a few getting their spotlight post-launch.

Rosalina & Luma
Diddy Kong
Zelda
Zero Suit Samus
Yoshi
Meta Knight
Mewtwo
Lucas
Roy
Robin
Mr. Game & Watch
Olimar
Little Mac
Bayonetta
Pac-Man
Bayonetta will probably get the most views because everybody wants to see how good she still is.. And yes she will indeed still be winning Smash tournaments seeing that she is still the best character.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Bayonetta will probably get the most views because everybody wants to see how good she still is.. And yes she will indeed still be winning Smash tournaments seeing that she is still the best character.
She'd probably still win tournaments but how do you know she's the best character? The game is not even out yet.

KMDP

Smash Legend
As a person working in childcare...

If they want to appeal to kids...

They finally nailed it. This is the right difficulty.

When I worked with fourth graders, one who played almost nothing but Pokémon thought X and Y were too hard.

That should put things into perspective. A lot of fans can't put themselves into the eyes of a kid anymore. Kids are dumber then before or anything like that. But you need to remember that many kids only got through older Pokémon games because you can brute force it.
I don't think kids are necessarily dumber than before (more coddled, maybe), but games are definitely having to compete with more and more things (and kids are as a result less willing to put up with bull**** difficulty).

*starts old man rant about how good it was "in my day"*

*cue "four yorkshiremen" sketch*
To keep it related to Smash, do you think we will see Pokémon Go music in Smash?
I mean, we already have FEH music...

I'm hoping for Pokémon Shuffle music.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
To keep it related to Smash, do you think we will see Pokémon Go music in Smash?
We're actually gonna get a Pokemon Go stage. That's right, folks. You thought it was gonna be in Alola when it was RIGHT IN YOUR FRONT YARD THE WHOLE TIME.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, all this LG nonsense is is "My opinion is better than your opinion!"

If you like the game, cool. If you don't, also cool. This game has caused unneeded amounts of venom on both sides and it floors me when there's absolutely no need for it seeing as how this game is nothing but a side project while a main game is in development.

The truth is? Adults are mad Pokemon isn't catering to them. They're upset it's still catering to children, because that's what the series has and always will do: cater towards children first, everyone else second, and children's tastes have changed towards wanting easier games. I 100% guarantee these games will sell well, regardless how a loud vocal minority feels about them. This situation is basically NSO all over again: There's a vocal minority very upset by it, but a lot of people just said "Whatever" and paid for it anyways because they wanted to continue playing online. And coming a month in on the service? It didn't bomb. Playerbases haven't been affected, and everyone at this point has forgotten about it and has moved on, and once Gen 8 is shown off in full, the same will happen with LG.

EDIT: Back on the subject of Smash, I could see GO content being in the game. Music, most likely.

Last edited by a moderator:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Cutscenes, music, Shadow, that's it for me.

Also, as underdeveloped as she is, I liked Elise and her relationship with Sonic (when it's not romantic).
In some ways, I kind of feel Sonic 06 is a hidden Shadow the Hedgehog 2. Shadow's much more involved with the main story then Sonic is who's relegated to protecting the princess (Which he often fails at doing multiple times) and Silver trying to kill Sonic because he was fooled into thinking he was the Iblis Trigger.

Hell, the main villain takes a shape similar to Shadow and even encounters Shadow in the past when he time travel which inspires him to take Shadow's shape.

Granted at least there's no guns or swearing added purely for the edge, but purely story-wise it feels like they wrote it around Shadow more then Sonic and Silver.

It might also explain why it took so long for Shadow to be properly playable again in a main Sonic game. Sega seeing both Shadow's game and Sonic 06 that had Shadow heavily involved with the plot, toning down Shadow's usage (And to be fair, most other Sonic characters, including the classic cast) to just Sonic and Eggman aside from spin-offs like Riders and the Storybook games.). In creating Shadow they kind of built a monster, immensely popular after Adventure 2 his popularity brought him back swiftly for Sonic Heroes and quickly took the series by storm up until after Sonic 06. And because of Shadow getting huge in that era, it's kinda why he's such a controversial character. He has die-hard fans still, but there are many that felt he was part of the reason the franchise went downhill. With Sega responding to his popularity in all the wrong ways.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
I hope that I'll never touch this particular discussion about Pokemon Let's Go, but here's my thought on it:

Looks like they actually made easy version of pokemon game AKA catching the pokemon which fills "Gotta catch them all!" perfectly. However, Everyone on the internet is worrying that if it sells greatly, future pokemon main games will likely changed into some worse in their mind. But I don't mind it at all, however KEEP THAT POKEMON GO **** away from pokemon mainline or keep it sidegame so it won't change the mainline but will be marketable toward the children of today.

Basically, if you don't like the taste of pie, don't buy it.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Honestly, all this LG nonsense is is "My opinion is better than your opinion!"

If you like the game, cool. If you don't, also cool. This game has caused unneeded amounts of venom on both sides and it floors me when there's absolutely no need for it seeing as how this game is nothing but a side project while a main game is in development.

The truth is? Adults are mad Pokemon isn't catering to them. They're upset it's still catering to children, because that's what the series has and always will do: cater towards children first, everyone else second, and children's tastes have changed towards wanting easier games. I 100% guarantee these games will sell well, regardless how a loud vocal minority feels about them. This situation is basically NSO all over again: There's a vocal minority very upset by it, but a lot of people just said "Whatever" and paid for it anyways because they wanted to continue playing online. And coming a month in on the service? It didn't bomb. Playerbases haven't been affected, and everyone at this point has forgotten about it and has moved on, and once Gen 8 is shown off in full, the same will happen with LG.

EDIT: Back on the subject of Smash, I could see GO content being in the game. Music, most likely.
I just don't want Pokemon Go to infect the mainline games.
I know it's made for kids, that's not my issue. I don't like these new mechanics and I don't want them in future new generations.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
It was a prank bro (gone wrong)
Welp, Jabaited...
I know it's made for kids, that's not my issue. I don't like these new mechanics and I don't want them in future new generations.
Didn't Masuda asure the fans that let's go is for casual fans while the 2019 game is gonna be like standard Pokemon?

D

Deleted member

I really, really wouldn't worry about that. There's a reason Game Freak is making the distinction between these two games, and why they're constantly reassuring Gen 8 is for the older fans. The way I see it, LG is gonna function as GF making a Pokemon geared towards small children, while the new main Pokemon Gens will be going for the market the have always gone for: Primarily children, yes, but with plenty of stuff for older players.

I think we all need to wait for Gen 8 to show itself before worrying it's gonna crash and burn. I really think it's gonna turn out awesome. :)

EDIT: Honestly, though, we've all been derailing the thread a TON, and I apologize to the mods and other users for that. If people wish to continue this, let's move over to a Pokemon thread.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Granted at least there's no guns or swearing added purely for the edge, but purely story-wise it feels like they wrote it around Shadow more then Sonic and Silver.
Thanks for reminding me that there is a Sonic character who is literally a rip-off of Trunks.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Well they've repeated that Gen 8 will be appreciated by the "core" fans so I don't think you have to worry about that.

Let's Go outrage is a bit ridiculous in my eyes, especially when you take those statements in mind. If it means Gen 8 gets more time in the oven then I'm all for it tbh. Hopefully they actually take some fan suggestions to heart, instead of their usual stubbornness (skippable cutscenes, varying difficulty levels, etc.) Enough about that though.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Smash, stuff like the new Luigi grab just makes me wish Sakurai and the team gave us more gameplay videos. If we got just a little bit more to look over I'd have no complaints on this prerelease cycle.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I really, really wouldn't worry about that. There's a reason Game Freak is making the distinction between these two games, and why they're constantly reassuring Gen 8 is for the older fans. The way I see it, LG is gonna function as GF making a Pokemon geared towards small children, while the new main Pokemon Gens will be going for the market the have always gone for: Primarily children, yes, but with plenty of stuff for older players.

I think we all need to wait for Gen 8 to show itself before worrying it's gonna crash and burn. I really think it's gonna turn out awesome. :)

EDIT: Honestly, though, we've all been derailing the thread a TON, and I apologize to the mods and other users for that. If people wish to continue this, let's move over to a Pokemon thread.
Well they've repeated that Gen 8 will be appreciated by the "core" fans so I don't think you have to worry about that.

Let's Go outrage is a bit ridiculous in my eyes, especially when you take those statements in mind. If it means Gen 8 gets more time in the oven then I'm all for it tbh. Hopefully they actually take some fan suggestions to heart, instead of their usual stubbornness (skippable cutscenes, varying difficulty levels, etc.) Enough about that though.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Smash, stuff like the new Luigi grab just makes me wish Sakurai and the team gave us more gameplay videos. If we got just a little bit more to look over I'd have no complaints on this prerelease cycle.
I really hope you're right, but I see no reason to get too excited until I get a solid confirmation.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I feel like this "Gen 8 will be infected by baby stuff" thing is going to be a self-full-filling prophecy.

Some people already thing last gens were more casual. I have a hunch that there will be a lot of fans that will blame Let's Go for everything they won't like in next Gen, regardless of whether they have anything to do with each other or not.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I feel like this "Gen 8 will be infected by baby stuff" thing is going to be a self-full-filling prophecy.

Some people already thing last gens were more casual. I have a hunch that there will be a lot of fans that will blame Let's Go for everything they won't like in next Gen, regardless of whether they have anything to do with each other or not.
As long as they bring back wild battles, held items, abilities, and make it so you can walk into a gym without a super effective Pokemon I won't have any complaints.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Gamers in general seem to not understand how the hell spinoffs work. Spinoffs are games that break way from some of the traditions and conventions of the main series in order to explore the series in a new way. That's it. But every time a spinoff is announced for some series, people get up in arms like it's some kind of proclamation that everything is going to change.

No, Fallout is not going to become a multiplayer game just because Fallout 76 has multiplayer. It's a spinoff.

No, Pokemon is not going to become super casual just because Let's Go is handholdy. It's a spinoff.

Just like Resident Evil didn't become a competitive shooter because of Umbrella Corps, or Metroid didn't become a co-op series because of Federation Force, or Metal Gear becoming an action game because of Revengeance.

Ironically, people like to laugh and jeer at Call of Duty for "being the same thing every year," but whenever any other franchise shows signs of changing up the formula, people go nuts.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It’s so interesting to me that so many people swear they’re hyped for Smash and come onto Smashboards, but then decide to repeatedly not talk about Smash in this thread.

Amazing.

Anyway, I must say that I think Nintendo missed the boat with marketing for this game. I don’t have much experience running a company (see zero percent), but based on work experience elsewhere I have an idea of how to keep stuff on the minds of your consumer. While Smash builds itself up regardless of when it’s announced, I still have to facepalm just a little bit that we just might not be getting substantial news for...almost 3 months.

I don’t even mean for the insatiable fans, I mean the ones that are aware of it but don’t follow the blog, break down tweets from youtubers, or make predictions on things. Your average fan.

For all we know, your average fan may have simply missed that Isabelle is in the game. Doubtful, sure, but it’s still bizarre to me that the only crumbs of new info are through blog posts.

Last edited:

Drifting

Smash Cadet
NNID
Driftie
Pokemon games are for kids unless you start playing them in a Smogon context, in which case they are very certainly a game for people with developed brains.

Let’s Go doesn’t have any impact on competitive play so as far as I’m concerned it doesn’t exist and is a spin-off only relevant for kids and casuals.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
"Children's series Pokemon appeals to Kids, fans furious, more at 11."

You guys just grew up.

D

Deleted member

It’s so interesting to me that so many people swear they’re hyped for Smash and come onto Smashboards, but then decide to repeatedly not talk about Smash in this thread.

Amazing.

Anyway, I must say that I think Nintendo missed the boat with marketing for this game. I don’t have much experience running a company (see zero percent), but based on work experience elsewhere I have an idea of how to keep stuff on the minds of your consumer. While Smash builds itself up regardless of when it’s announced, I still have to facepalm just a little bit that we just might not be getting substantial news for...almost 3 months.

I don’t even mean for the insatiable fans, I mean the ones that are aware of it but don’t follow the blog, break down tweets from youtubers, or make predictions on things. Your average fan.

For all we know, your average fan may have simply missed that Isabelle is in the game. Doubtful, sure, but it’s still bizarre to me that the only crumbs of new info are through blog posts.
Honestly, I think it comes from doing way too much too soon. Even Sakurai admitted that 8.8 was a little overkill for how early in prerelease it was, and honestly, I think it's a sign that outside of Spirits and singleplayer, there isn't gonna be much left to go over unless online is really big this time.

No matter what, though, it was gonna be a lose lose. Have too much too early? People will start to lose interest thanks to that meaning the last few months before release will be dry spells. Don't have anything early? People will be angry at how long you stayed silent. You kinda can't win here.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Anything happen so far today?
Let's see...
We've come to the conclusion that Crunchii is likely a faker looking for attention
There was a Chunky Kong meme posting session
And a long discussion on Pokemon Let's Go

A pretty average day on Smashboards if you ask me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom