• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I actually think Ridley would be stoked to have Mario do good deeds in his name.

Because that gives him more chances to exploit people's gratitude for murder and/or administering mental scars.
He'd be depressed at first, but then he'd realize the possibilities.
The wonderful, horrible possibilities.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
It's not. They wouldn't update the website with a rip of a song that was already in Smash 4.

Also the opening is part of the remix and the way the vocals kick in way earlier is not like that in the original too.

That said, it's very close to the original
It kind of makes you wonder what the point even was in making a new version if it was going to be similar enough for casual observers to be unable to distinguish it from the original version that is already in the game.

In other words, we got robbed. Sakurai, right this wrong! Id (Purpose) (Rap Version) for DLC or bust!

D

Deleted member

It kind of makes you wonder what the point even was in making a new version if it was going to be similar enough for casual observers to be unable to distinguish it from the original version that is already in the game.

In other words, we got robbed. Sakurai, right this wrong! Id (Purpose) (Rap Version) for DLC or bust!
Id (Purpose of the Lotus) by Lotus Juice-Free Music DLC Available Now!

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Or maybe it means not everybody gives a damn about Fire Emblem, a franchise which owes it's popularity in the west to Smash in the first place :p

Over-represented. Three characters was enough, especially when Zelda, Nintendo's #3 most important franchise, only has 6 compared to Trash Emblem's 7.

Taste is subjective. You like anime waifu simulator, I don't. Ain't no reason to throw shade at each other over it.
Oh god, please stops it with the Zelda underrepresented arguments.

The series has so many stages and things aside from characters. Not to mention that it’s bad enough when three of those characters are Links (I like YL though). Like aside from Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf, there isn’t many to add aside from Skull Kid and Impa.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Even though I subscribe to the nihilist theory(That all theories are ****ing stupid, including this one)

I still can't disregard that the box 'has' a pattern. You can deny it all you want, but it's there, and it's easily re-make-able for a visual representation as to how it works.

'why' is it like that? I don't know, I wasn't put in charge of designing the damn thing.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Just like with pretty much all instances of "cultural appropriation", I'm pretty sure actual Japanese people don't really care that westerners use the word Otaku wrong.

At worst, you might get a raised eyebrow because you're willingly referring to yourself using a derogatory term, that's it.
Yeah. I didn't think there was anything wrong with using that term in the West. I thought it was only derogatory in Japan.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Ridley is (was?) actually a very nice purple space dragon-pterodactyl-person.

They just forced him into playing the role of a psychopath for a series of movies he didn't want to be a part of, which unfortunately affected his mental state.

I haven't played Metroid except the master piece in Brawl.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

The series has so many stages and things aside from characters. Not to mention that it’s bad enough when three of those characters are Links (I like YL though). Like aside from Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf, there isn’t many to add aside from Skull Kid and Impa.
Not many characters aside from those three have very prominent roles, so it's kinda hard to say if it makes a lot of sense to add more Zelda characters

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
You know what's so ironic about the music theory being apparently "killed"?

It just happened to be related to the same characters that were the subjects of Gematsu Leak when it got killed too.

:ultrobin:ultchrom:

Nevertheless, that remix is pretty nifty~

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
You know what's so ironic about the music theory being apparently "killed"?

It just happened to be related to the same characters that were the subjects of Gematsu Leak when it was killed too.:ultrobin:ultchrom:

Nevertheless, that remix is pretty nifty~

Fire Emblem.
Killing theories and leaks since 2014.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Another Fire Emblem song, deconfirming 'one track per franchise'. It's not even a good song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=206XFPy8XuM
Not to sound toxic here, but Vergeben must have been laughing his *** off at this. Wouldn't really blame him for it after what happened with Steven's theme being included in the site.

PREACH

These people don't know yet. Wait until the Switch port comes out on Friday, then you'll ALL want Neku.
That game's been tempting me to play it for ages now. Definitely gonna be one of my first Switch games once I get a hold of one in November.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
My guess is that they wanted to give it a little more energy to better fit the nature of the game, hence the percussion. The port was also infamously butchered a bit (RIP), so the remix might be a little bit smoother in practice.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Not many characters aside from those three have very prominent roles, so it's kinda hard to say if it makes a lot of sense to add more Zelda characters
I’ll take HW Impa though. So badass...

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
At least mai boi Skull Kid has a big role in Majora's Mask, even if his other three (including Hyrule Warriors since all characters are big in that game) roles are minor.

And somehow I feel that Tingle could get in at the very least; he even has his own games.

Shroob

Sup?
Here's something I don't get.

I'm seeing people say "RIP Elma" now that the music theory is dead...

Uhh, why, exactly?

Like, let's be real, it was only a matter of time until Xenoblade had a song up on the website, so what would that have left us with?

Punch Out?

Star Fox?

Kid Icarus?

Like, the biggest thing that irked me about "Music Theory" was that, the longer and longer it was allowed to live, the more franchises it flat out killed, leaving us with series that, let's be ****ing honest now, are not getting unique fighters. Echoes? Sure, but not uniques.

Elma can still ****ing happen, hell, you would have probably discredited the "Music theory" then and there had Xenoblade been shown because frankly, there just aren't a lot of franchises 'left' to have realistic, non-echo newcomers.

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
The Music Theory died? That's good. Very good.

Is it bad to say I miss the time when Waddle Dee was speculated to be an Echo of all things? I just wish his support didn't die out so soon, especially when there might be a ballot for DLC... It seems like he's one of the only characters whose changes haven't changed have remained consisten all throughout the speculation period, and the fault lies in the fact that he's forgotten or not mentioned by popular leakers.

D

Deleted member

Dude, I'll take literally anybody from Zelda to be in Smash. Skull Kid, Impa, Midna and Wolf Link, Giraham, One of The Four Champions, hell I'll evern take freaking Groose. Just give me somebody! I'm freaking tired of seeing the same damn Zelda cast in every Smash game since Melee!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I personally want Tetra as a unique fighter (I know it's technically another Zelda character, but at least it's not a clone). Having Tetra fighting with a scimitar would be pretty cool

MainJPW

M.T.A
How would Tails alone even be a semi-clone to Sonic in the first place?

Pardon my ignorance but I'm not too knowledgeable about Sonic so do inform me about some info I may not know.
As far as the Classics ( or 2D games in general ) go which is where Sonic's moveset is based on they play largely the same; in Sonic 2 they play exactly the same and in Fighters, they share the most attacks. Sonic's Forward Smash which is from Fighters? It's the Windup Punch.

Tails has the same move.

Forward Tilt? Horse Kick. Tails has the same move.

Tails also has the most Spin Ball based moves after Sonic in Fighters. In general, Tails is capable of doing a lot of the things Sonic can do like Spin Dash for example. Tails is practically a semi-clone in his own series.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Welp, if nothing happens tomorrow, it's safe to say that the 10-days-since-playlist-update pattern has been ruined.

G'night
Sadly must agree apparently. Hopefully we get something mid or late October though.

I just fear for the sanity of this community if we don't get anything this week...

D

Deleted member

Also, I hope this question is not off topic, but did anyone else notice that there's someone posting some thread in Korean in the Ultimate fourm about 4 times now? That's kinda strange lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
As far as the Classics ( or 2D games in general ) go which is where Sonic's moveset is based on they play largely the same; in Sonic 2 they play exactly the same and in Fighters, they share the most attacks. Sonic's forward tilt which is from Fighters? It's the Windup Punch.

Tails has the same move.

Forward Tilt? Horse Kick. Tails has the same move.

Tails also has the most Spin Ball based moves after Sonic in Fighters. In general, Tails is capable of doing a lot of the things Sonic can do like Spin Dash for example. Tails is practically a semi-clone in his own series.
I’d almost prefer Tails as a Sonic semi-clone/echo. I know him best from Sonic 2, and I really want to see orange-ball-with-tails spin dashes.

Just throw Peach’s float on and he’s good in my book.

Aww, I want Tails so bad. He’s my ‘most deserving’

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
IF Koei Tecmo got into smash with hyrule warriors impa itd be the foot in the door for my last real want left for smash. The LAST retro nes star not from contra.
Ryu Mutha Effing Hayabusa

and possibly ayane or kasumi too as an echo idk
(well last real want aside from shantae but with wayforward doing the lizard manuver im sure shes in somehow)

Last edited:

As i huge Zelda fan, i've always been satisfied with the number of Zelda rep in smash. Just not really satisfied about some minor things (mostly related to respecting the source material) like the Dorf being a heavy hitter version of Cpt Falcon... i mean if he was like that in the games i'd understand but he never punches or kicks anyone, he mostly uses magic and a sword (or 2). Zelda's moveset is cool and all (not much to pick from in term of moveset in the LoZ games) but she's always been trash tier (just ask any Zelda main)(this could change with Ultimate tho).

About the Links, the only thing that bugs me is that Y and TLink are still too similar. OH! and Sheik should have a Deku Nut instead of that weird whip thing...

Every other Zelda newcomers would be extra icing on an already delicious cake.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Also, I hope this question is not off topic, but did anyone else notice that there's someone posting some thread in Korean in the Ultimate fourm about 4 times now? That's kinda strange lol.
Can you send us a link?

Dude, I'll take literally anybody from Zelda to be in Smash. Skull Kid, Impa, Midna and Wolf Link, Giraham, One of The Four Champions, hell I'll evern take freaking Groose. Just give me somebody! I'm freaking tired of seeing the same damn Zelda cast in every Smash game since Melee!
Man, Girahim would’ve been nice honestly. Sorta reminds of Zamasu, and I like him.

I personally want Tetra as a unique fighter (I know it's technically another Zelda character, but at least it's not a clone). Having Tetra fighting with a scimitar would be pretty cool
Pretty neutral on Tetra, she looks cool, but not really the first character that comes to my mind when it comes to Zelda newcomers.

Last edited:

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Lists a bunch of Zelda characters including Groose of all things but skips on Vaati...

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Fire Emblem is character-driven, and every game has dozens of playable characters. It's sort of similar to Pokemon in that sense. The Legend of Zelda, meanwhile, is adventure driven game with only one real playable character throughout the series.

There's still a number of potential fighters from the Zelda series (Skull Kid, Ghirahim, Midna, Tetra, Impa, any of the four Champions, Tingle, Yuga, ect), but I don't think the reason FE has more is simply due to "bias". LoZ already has its main protagonist (Link), namesake (Zelda) and it's main villain (Ganon), but FE is in a weird spot where it has several main protagonists and ultimately only some of them can be playable. It's why that despite all the characters FE has, there's still no villains from that series, despite having several notable ones (namely The Black Knight). LoZ is a "completed" series representation wise and any more characters beyond the main three would just be nice bonuses, while FE will realistically never be "complete".

I do think it's really strange how LoZ hasn't gotten a single newcomer in Smash 4 though. I'm expecting something in Ultimate, even if it's not until DLC. Even though I don't think LoZ needs any more characters it's kind of strange to see them not capitalizing on its popularity more.

D

Deleted member

Can you send us a link?

Man, Girahim would’ve been nice honestly.

Pretty neutral on Tetra, she looks cool, but not really the first character that comes to my mind when it comes to Zelda newcomers.
That spam bot was in the front page of the Ultimate section of the forum, but it’s been deleted by the mods.
Lists a bunch of Zelda characters including Groose of all things but skips on Vaati...
Hey Vaati would be cool too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom