• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I adore cosmetics. I don't know why they refuse to do more costumes.

Looks like they may be patching that up this game but I don't have much hope.

Still. Imagine the possibilities. I'd buy them all. Part of the problem or not.
They could even release characters that wouldn't have made it in otherwise as cosmetics. (People will get over it.)
So, instead of making a whole new fighter or even an echo fighter, just making someone's "Alph" so to speak just for cosmetic purposes.

Also, not even just costumes. Audio and stuff too. Give me the ability to swap Xander's voice out for someone else lol

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
They could even release characters that wouldn't have made it in otherwise as cosmetics. (People will get over it.)
So, instead of making a whole new fighter or even an echo fighter, just making someone's "Alph" so to speak just for cosmetic purposes.

Also, not even just costumes. Audio and stuff too. Give me the ability to swap Xander's voice out for someone else lol
Imagine if they dropped Shadow as just an alt

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Do people actually think that anime fans are weebs? Anime fans are more otakus than weebs. Calling someone a weeb is an insult
Yep, some people really think that. That's what happens when people just communities only by their worst parts.

"Otaku", from my understanding, is also a pretty unpleasant insult in Japan, but a lot of western anime fans called themselves that playfully until it stuck.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Thanks dude

It's not fun but mom being disabled means it has to be done
That's seriously respectable dude.
Really sucks to see how people have to sacrifice a lot just to help their own family on their own like you in this world, but hopefully it'll get better as time goes on. Keep it up my friend.

Also now I get the difference between otaku and weeb lol

KMDP

Smash Legend
If you truly love something, then it's good to criticize it.
Okay, I'm going to stop you here on this point.

One really shouldn't go out of their way to actively try and find something about a thing they love to criticise, that's not necessarily a good thing (at it's worst it's little more than nitpicking). Not to mention that a person can love something for the very reasons someone else finds fault in it, or can find the faults not worth complaining about.

Stuff like this comes down to opinion, and not everyone holds the same opinions.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
>Music theory is ded
>People think box is ded too and next
>They all believe we will get ****tons of newcomers suddenly bcs ( uh. Verg didn't know about K.Rool!!11!1!1!)

Pls guys. No.
Hype responsibility.
We MIGHT get more, and the music theory open the door for more rep of old series. BUT.
We ain't getting magic 7 newcomers.

Also for the Geno vs Sora Debate.

>Sora if Sakurai go full madman for a big bang at the end of speculation. But I'm sure he'll be DLC
>Geno as a love letter for the fans.
>Both because it's the best ending smfh.

I vote for both

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Yep, some people really think that. That's what happens when people just communities only by their worst parts.

"Otaku", from my understanding, is also a pretty unpleasant insult in Japan, but a lot of western anime fans called themselves that playfully until it stuck.
Yeah I think I've heard about otaku being an insult in Japan, but weeaboo is way worse

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
That's seriously respectable dude.
Really sucks to see how people have to sacrifice a lot just to help their own family on their own like you in this world, but hopefully it'll get better as time goes on. Keep it up my friend.

Also now I get the difference between otaku and weeb lol
After the end of the month, one of the stores I work is closing, but as long as this helps us pay the property tax we should be fine.

After that, I'll be taking a short break from the two jobs to learn to drive, then I'll have to find another.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
I believed music theory, but it's obviously dead now.

What makes me sad is that... the probability of a Xenoblade, or Mother or something remix appearing on the website just got down a whole lot and that makes me very sad ):

(Also Box Theory and Music Theory have nothing to do with each other)

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If I may ask not to sound stupid but how would shadow as a echo kill the box theory?
The box concept art has 3 open spaces, one on the back, two on front.
Isabel is going to take the space in front.

The space on the back is located on the row with Ryu, not Sonic, making it prime position for the Ken render.
The space in front will be taken by a newcomer due to there being no space for an echo.

Shadow would break the assumption that the space on back would be taken by Ken.

Arcad5

Smash Cadet
Considering we're talking Shadow anyway, where do you guys stand on him? Would you think he'd be a better echo, newcomer, semi-clone, or just left out altogether?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Considering we're talking Shadow anyway, where do you guys stand on him? Would you think he'd be a better echo, newcomer, semi-clone, or just left out altogether?
If he gets in he'll likely be an echo but I honestly think he'd work more as a semi-clone considering he relies on the chaos emeralds for attacks which is different from Sonic.

D

Deleted member

Also unrelated...but why do you always seem negative (not even a “thinking real” kind of thing, just something negative)
I'm ginna feel like Burb by saying this but I'n really only being realistic.
Also, a fan theory has no effect on newcomers, believing one that never had any ground to stay on was setting oneself for disappointment
"bland, fetish-friendly characters"

oh so now the BNHA stan is gonna preach to us
Hey, don't diss on MHA just because the guy is being annoying

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
He should be in as an echo of Sonic but if Sakurai really wanted to go out of his way to make me fangasm, he'd put him in as a semiclone with the moveset from Smash Legacy

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm getting tired of this being said over and over again tbh

Everyone should hype irresponsibly.
It's more fun that way.
I like to hype irresponsibly during normal days, but whenever a direct is announced I let go of all my expectations so it's even more exciting.
The only exception was Isabelle, i'm excited for her as a character but I was really expecting her reveal around that time.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Newcomer or Semi-Clone, No Echo. that's my prediction

Also it's been 2 hours without a Blog Post...hmmmm

Edit: and just when i say that the blog updates, oof

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'd rather be called an otaku than a weeaboo. Is otaku a dead term or something? Is it not cool with the kids anymore? lol
A bit off topic but uh
geeks are geeks are geeks regardless of what language you're speaking in.

I like to hype irresponsibly during normal days, but whenever a direct is announced I let go of all my expectations so it's even more exciting.
The only exception was Isabelle, i'm excited for her as a character but I was really expecting her reveal around that time.
My ridiculous brand of speculation allows me to get the more bizarre things correct because I don't buy a lot of people's theories most of the time.

It's okay to let go. It's okay to set yourself free.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
If I may ask not to sound stupid but how would shadow as a echo kill the box theory?
The box theory is dependent on the idea that whoever made the mock up was aware of the roster and designed the pattern around it. The pattern that they currently have seems to accommodate for Ken being somewhere on the back of the box. However, the pattern does not accommodate for Shadow, so if he was in it would prove that the box was not made with every last newcomer in mind.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I can agree...to an extent. Box Theory has many interesting ideas behind it and that is why I am entertaining it as a plausible scenario, but to claim predictions and opinions on a subject as evidence? I dunno, I guess I have a different definition of evidence than some, then. To me, evidence is irrefutable proof that cannot reasonably be argued with and is corroborated by something, which speculation and opinion is not.

Probability and chance are concepts that are based off of individual bias and speculation. Person A can say something has a "50% chance" to happen, while person B can say there's a "100% chance". Neither one can really be right due to the nature of chance being a pretty loose and subjective concept for most things in the first place, and can only be verified if something corroborated by factual proof is presented.

To each their own, I suppose.
Well, as someone who worked on some research projects, I think you are mistaken about what evidence is or isn't. Evidence doesn't have to prove anything. It need only suggest. Even in science, it's more accurate to say theories are shown to be consistent predictors than to say they've been proven irrefutably. You can ALWAYS think of an arbitrary law of physics to satisfy all of our observations while making entirely different predictions. And it is technically possible that every law of physics we know could be false. That doesn't mean we should abandon them for being unproven.

Let me go over what I consider evidence for box theory:
-the pattern is clear, and almost entirely consistent. You can argue that the other side is a different pattern, but how realistic is that really? That would imply it's pure coincidence that so many characters fell perfectly in blog order on the visible side. It's possible, but it's also technically possible that Ridley will be cut from Smash because Sakurai changed his mind again.
- the pattern breaks in exactly one spot, which suggests an echo, most likely Ken. This also lines up really nicely with both Verg, who has a track record, and the Ken image leak that last I saw was widely agreed to be real. If we get any confirmation of Ken, that's a prediction box theory made that came true. Really, there aren't many possibilities here, even with the minimum assumption of the unshown characters are on the other side. We have (1) Ken is there suggesting artist knows roster, (2) artist only layed out one side and miscounted on the pattern they were going for, (3) there's a blank spot on the other side for seemingly no reason, (4) the pattern one the visible side is coincidence, which is statistically impossible (which is not the same as actually impossible)
-the bottom row of the visible side is not centered. This creates ugly asymmetry. It's also worth noting that Smash in particular has a fondness for keeping things centered as Shroob Shroob has pointing out repeatedly in unrelated debates.
-marketing departments often know secrets of a game early, even before the programmers at the same company, even on the same game. This isn't speculation. I work in game industry. Im going off a combination of my experience and being told by other workers in the industry.

When I take that together, I see a pattern that is statistically impossible to be an accident, so I conclude it is likely intentional. From there, I can conclude the backside is missing a spot in a specific row, indicating either an echo, a mistake, or imo ugly design that's inconsistent with the rest of Smash. I dismiss the ugly design due to inconsistency, so I'm left with a mistake or echo. Now, one of the possible echoes for that spot is Ken, who has a prominent leaker and photo leak supporting this. But it's also worth remembering it doesn't have to be Ken. Basically if Ken is deconfirmed, it takes away evidence for the box, but doesn't provide any evidence against it because the theory does not require Ken, even if Ken supports it.

But here's the thing, if the artist didn't just make a mistake (a possibility I'm not dismissing at all), that means the artist does know at least some of the roster before us and incoorporated this into the box design. Handily, this explains every single blank space on the box and makes the box prettier (subjective) and more symmetrical and inline with normal Smash design (objective).

Thus, I conclude the box is worth using as a predictor. Not putting my faith in it completely. Simply being open to the possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom