• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Any future Smash game that thoroughly revamps/cuts the roster is going to have to include some compelling af additions for me not to pick the game with like 85 characters and seven million stages. What do I care if Ultimate won't be the most current one, I still have fun playing Smash 64.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'm sure people didn't think Cloud would get in before Geno, but here we are.

Sakurai is looking at more than just character popularity. He's also looking at the franchise itself. Banjo is easily more requested than Steve, but can B&K hold a candle to a gaming monster like Minecraft?
Cloud got in due to fan demand, though.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's still unreal King K Rool actually made it in.

Time to rewatch his reveal for the 50th time.
I've rewatched K. Rool's trailer more than any other, it's easily the best one they've made imo, towards the end the hype meter is dialed way past 11. I still laugh at the Dedede fakeout, for the most part I tend to be very calm during reveals, but that was a proper hands on head moment, I don't think I've ever been caught that offguard before, in the moment I just had no idea what to make of it.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If you thought Cloud would get in before Cloud got in, idc if you were right, you're still nuts. :p

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
So I checked with the days for fighters and did some calculation. There are 22 fighters that haven't got a blog post yet out of 24. We have 2 fighters remain. And I was thinking. Is Sakurai trolling us again with "all fighters will be revealed before the game's launch". Like he has some secret fighters that we don't know?

I've rewatched K. Rool's trailer more than any other, it's easily the best one they've made imo, towards the end the hype meter is dialed way past 11. I still laugh at the Dedede fakeout, for the most part I tend to be very calm during reveals, but that was a proper hands on head moment, I don't think I've ever been caught that offguard before, in the moment I just had no idea what to make of it.
I literally started punching the crap out of my bed out of excitement. If Skull Kid or Banjo were revealed I don’t know what I’ll do.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
So I checked with the days for fighters and did some calculation. There are 22 fighters that haven't got a blog post yet out of 24. We have 2 fighters remain. And I was thinking. Is Sakurai trolling us again with "all fighters will be revealed before the game's launch". Like he has some secret fighters that we don't know?
I mean it's still possible he could leave something hidden in the game that will just end up getting leaked after the final direct. Who knows, but I'd rather take his word then be disappointed about hoping for that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So wait this guy has hinted at stuff before with credibility? I'd love for Skull Kid to be our next reveal
Yeah, who's this Bill guy? How can we be sure he actually knows anything?

(fwiw that post is obv in reference to the joke, 72 hours from now would bring us to a Sunday direct in the west, which isn't happening)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
What makes it worse is that people won't know if Bill is directly hinting Skull Kid, or just using a popular quote to hint at a Direct.

Cloud got in due to fan demand, though.
Maybe in Japan, but overseas? I doubt it.

I remember Cloud having a few supporters, but most people didn't genuinely think he'd get in. That's probably why Sakurai was specifically looking for the most popular FF character. He saw a small window to get a FF character in Smash, so he took it.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
If you thought Cloud would get in before Cloud got in, idc if you were right, you're still nuts. :p
Proud to be nuts, the same way I defended the NO CUT theory when the game was announced in march, and that Cloud would be back when almost everyone though he would be cut.

Hopefully my Guts continue to be right. :happysheep:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Jesus ****ing christ being a Skull Kid fan ain’t good for my heart
>that reaction of Reggie from the Yo-Kai Watch promo is still being used
Perfect.

I hope they still got some really good ones like that in store. That's one of the reasons why I'm eager for another Smash Direct.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Sakurai is looking at more than just character popularity. He's also looking at the franchise itself. Banjo is easily more requested than Steve, but can B&K hold a candle to a gaming monster like Minecraft?
Depends on what decade you grew up in. Banjo-Kazooie was a phenomenon when it came out and Minecraft is phenomenon now.

Rare was no ****ing joke during their time at Nintendo. They even helped DK take over Mario for the SNES's Mascot for a bit during that era and BK was a headliner of a game for the N64. Minecraft may be a HUGE deal but it was never front and center of a major company's console marketing. At least, I don't think Microsoft has done that considering it can be played on ANY console.

I could be wrong. Regardless, one thing Banjo does have is that he was considered for Melee but was dropped for "adult reasons", likely the buyout, something that Steve doesn't have yet.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Guys....who ever is saying "RIP Geno" or "bye Geno" are completely misinterpreting what Verg is saying.

He's saying that SE would likely not fire someone over mentioning Geno because so many people expect it. This has nothing to do with deconfirming Geno lol. Vergeben can't give out a list of names because of other characters mentioned. He doesn't know which are fake and which one (or possibly 2) are real, saying any of them could cost people jobs.
good lord, people keep twisting his statements again

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Is that what he's hinting at? Thought he was hinting at a Smash direct announcement, personally.
It could 100% just be a reference to MM, that's for sure. That is a tagline from that game, but who knows if he's actually saying Skull Kid is the reveal.

I'm more inclined to think he's hinting at a direct or trailer announcement sunday and not exactly at skull kid

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Proud to be nuts, the same way I defended the NO CUT theory when the game was announced in march, and that Cloud would be back when almost everyone though he would be cut.

Hopefully my Guts continue to be right. :happysheep:
Yeah but that one wasn't crazy because a lot of people were under the impression Ultimate would be a modified Smash 4, in which case cuts wouldn't make sense.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
If I knew the ballot would be used for Ultimate I would've voted for Ashley, no question.

It's my greatest regret...
That’s pretty much how we all felt lol, I would’ve voted for Banjo or Waluigi in a heartbeat.
I voted for Daisy and only Daisy.

No regrets.
Boys, I voted for Cloud "most voted for FF character" Strife back when people called us silly for such.
In addition, I also voted for Daisy, Ridley, Phoenix Wright and Shantae.

I'm doing pretty good so far.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So I came up with a 50 man Smash reboot roster;
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:(Dixie Kong):ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:(Skull Kid):ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley:(Sylux):ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:(Bandana Waddle Dee):ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultgreninja:(Incineroar):ultmarth::ultike::ultcorrin:(Eldeguard):ultvillager::ultshulk:(Rex & Pyra) :ultyoshi::ultinkling:(Spring Man):ultfalcon::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultlittlemac::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultsimon::ultcloud:(Ryu Hayabusa) (Sora) (Monster Hunter)

What do you think?
EDIT: Added :ultlucario: and Spring Man to change it to 50.
No Elma or Isabelle? ;-;

Oh man it's happening

What draws my attention more tho is Trinen saying he's not at Comic Con..hmm...

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
That Bill statement has me slightly more curious that slips on tinfoil hat the last day of The Big House 8 will have a direct announcement for 10.10.2018, and on that day Shadow and Skull Kid will be revealed (and hopefully Elma too).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
As I’d really love to see Skull Kid in, I hope in a sense this might be true, then again, he could be messing with us.
Are people looking past the tweet he's replying to? It's a MM reference about a spooky asteroid passing by.

ITS NOT A HINT

But a direct announcement?
Those don't happen on weekends either I'm pretty sure.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Anyone at all doubt that we're getting some sort of Smash announcement?

The video and the New banner being removed basically confirm it, but I still don't wanna jinx it.

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, ya'll need to calm the **** down.

Bill, an incredibly prominent figure of NoA wouldn't hint/leak a new character reveal.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Are people looking past the tweet he's replying to? It's a MM reference about a spooky asteroid passing by.

ITS NOT A HINT

The 8/8 direct was announced on the last day of EVO this year, and the Robin/Lucina live stream was announced on EVO Sunday 2014 too iirc

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

ITS NOT A HINT

They have. The August direct announcement happened on Sunday at EVO

Noipoi

Howdy!
Bill's just making a Majora's Mask joke.

I've made Majora's Mask jokes, you've made Majora's Mask jokes, literally everyone and their mothers make Majora's Mask jokes.

This isn't a direct hint. This isn't a Skull Kid hint.

It's a Majora's Mask joke.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom