• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Several "leakers" have said there will be a switch revision.
Hitagi said it will be a Switch+ with a Tegra X2, WSJ said their source doesn't know the specs or what they're doing with it since the plans are very early.
Thanks for correcting me.

I may have jumped the gun a bit, but I still feel more confident.

D

Deleted member

So I came up with a 50 man Smash reboot roster;
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:(Dixie Kong):ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:(Skull Kid):ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley:(Sylux):ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:(Bandana Waddle Dee):ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultgreninja:(Incineroar):ultmarth::ultike::ultcorrin:(Eldeguard):ultvillager::ultshulk:(Rex & Pyra) :ultyoshi::ultinkling:(Spring Man):ultfalcon::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultlittlemac::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultsimon::ultcloud:(Ryu Hayabusa) (Sora) (Monster Hunter)

What do you think?
EDIT: Added :ultlucario: and Spring Man to change it to 50.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I still don't think Sakurai would add Steve before Banjo.

Just my thoughts
I'm not so sure Banjo has as good of a chance as people say. He's got the fan requests, but that's it. Something tells me not every newcomer is going to be a fan requested character

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I don't think sales of a franchise matter that much in Sakurai's eyes.
Good point.

But as much as I love BK, they're certainly, certainly pushing Minecraft for Nintendo consoles. Have been for years. Remember the Creeper 3DS XL?
I think franchise sales matter less when they haven't sold in the literal hundreds of millions. That kinda sales does have an impact, imo.

I think that BK coming along wouldn't be a shock.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I'm not so sure Banjo has as good of a chance as people say. He's got the fan requests, but that's it. Something tells me not every newcomer is going to be a fan requested character
I'm just saying that I think Banjo would be the first Microsoft owned character to make it in.

Not that he'll actually be in the roster.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
No I'm implying that after Isabelle is added to the box, that is the final design, as is the case with the download codes, which have already shipped and hence will not be updated.
That still is a bit wrong, since you're assuming that the download code card hints at the final design.

Ryu isn't the last character on the side of the box that we can't see, it's Cloud, so 'a box in front of Ryu' really doesn't mean anything.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So I came up with a 48 man Smash reboot roster;
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:(Dixie Kong):ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:(Skull Kid):ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley:(Sylux):ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:(Bandana Waddle Dee):ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultgreninja:(Incineroar):ultmarth::ultike::ultcorrin:(Eldeguard):ultvillager::ultshulk:(Rex & Pyra) :ultyoshi::ultinkling::ultfalcon::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultlittlemac::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultsimon::ultcloud:(Ryu Hayabusa) (Sora) (Monster Hunter)

What do you think?
I'd get to save sixty bucks. :p

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, I'm genuinely curious. Can you elaborate on "so-called reviewers"? I'm not sure what you're implying.

I mean, they have to review the gameplay. Not touching the controller kind of makes it hard to do that.
Basically, sometimes games are so challenging that people would rather just want to see everything they have to offer by playing as little of it as possible. Not exactly reviewers, but there are journalists and devs out there that want the option to skip the gameplay. Of course, that would be a problem depending on the execution.

https://nichegamer.com/2017/10/04/git-gud-you-should-be-able-to-skip-cutscenes-but-never-gameplay/

I'd be more with people saying "oh, that's just a rumor" over the new Switch if it came from somewhere like NintendoEverything or something. No, this came from the Wall Street Journal. That gives it really, REALLY good chances of being real. WSJ doesn't report on something like that if they have even a sliver of a thought it's not true.
That'd be good, I have a friend of mine that would rather consider getting a Switch if it gets a new model.

Untouch

Smash Master
I'd be more with people saying "oh, that's just a rumor" over the new Switch if it came from somewhere like NintendoEverything or something. No, this came from the Wall Street Journal. That gives it really, REALLY good chances of being real. WSJ doesn't report on something like that if they have even a sliver of a thought it's not true.
I don't think a switch "revision" is all that unlikely, it's been 2 years afterall.
I just don't think it'll be anything more than a "switch lite" like the 3DSXL or the DSlite, instead of something like the new 3DS.

The DS lite was released 2 years after the DS afterall, and the 3DSXL was released a year after the 3DS.

Narr

AN ORB OF MANY TALENTS
NNID
LordChrom
3DS FC
1289-8310-9030
Switch FC
SW 8256 5756 1598
the first microsoft character will absolutely be blinx the time sweeper

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:(Dixie Kong):ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:(Skull Kid):ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley:(Sylux):ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:(Bandana Waddle Dee):ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultgreninja:(Incineroar):ultmarth::ultike::ultcorrin:(Eldeguard):ultvillager::ultshulk:(Rex & Pyra) :ultyoshi::ultinkling::ultfalcon::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultlittlemac::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultsimon::ultcloud:(Ryu Hayabusa) (Sora) (Monster Hunter)

What do you think?
Isabelle is missing. She's the face of Animal Crossing. If anything I'd take Villager out and put in Isabelle. Otherwise, it looks good

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

What do you think?
Not sure how I feel about Corrin being in over Robin. I understand taking out Lucina and Chrom, but removing all three Awakening characters? Awakening saved the series while Fates, by both fan reaction and total sales, underwhelmed.

But Marth (old school FE), Ike (end of old school FE), Robin/Corrin (3DS FE revival) and Edelgard (new FE) is a very fair and even distribution of the FE franchise. Good idea.

Get rid of Incineroar.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Thanks for correcting me.

I may have jumped the gun a bit, but I still feel more confident.
I don't think it's a bad thing to be excited or confident in the possibility. Just prepare for a scenario in which it doesn't happen. There are still things we don't know and Steve is a big one. Minecraft content will probably happen but Steve as playable is still on the air. We'll see though.

However, I will say that I have been continually surprised by the popularity of Banjo. The fact that he blew that gigantic poll away relatively easily is a very telling sign. Say what you will about that Tweet by Phil Spenced, but if it did anything it boosted Banjo's popularity. I dunno. I think it could go either way. Or both ways, preferably.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
What's this about a report from the WSJ?
From what I heard, it seems like the WSJ reported that new upgraded Nintendo Switch could be released in Summer 2019.

Whilst Hitagi (the leaker who claimed that Steve is possibly going to be playable) did mention the existence of the Switch Pro, he also mentioned the specs if I recall. We'll have to wait and see whether this Switch Pro will be true.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not sure how I feel about Corrin being in over Robin. I understand taking out Lucina and Chrom, but removing all three Awakening characters? Awakening saved the series while Fates, by both fan reaction and total sales, underwhelmed.

But Marth (old school FE), Ike (end of old school FE), Robin/Corrin (3DS FE revival) and Edelgard (new FE) is a very fair and even distribution of the FE franchise. Good idea.

Get rid of Incineroar.
I added :ultcorrin:over:ultrobinbecause I think his moveset is more interesting. Believe me, I very well aware of the general opinion of Fates lol.

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman

What do you think?
I love the 4-character theme for all the major franchises! It limits the roster, but also allows for interesting newcomers. A few things though, I couldn't see Fire Emblem not having an Awakening rep, considering that's the game that really revitalized the series. I'd even see Robin or Chrom getting in over Ike. Another thing, I don't feel like they'd cut Isabelle, especially considering all her popularity these days. I think it's more than likely she'd get in over ROB, or maybe even Villager. Also, it's definitely missing Pit, Sakurai's pride and joy.
I could maybe see them making the current clones into comprehensive skins, like Alph. So Dr. Mario, Daisy, Pichu, Lucina, and Richter could get in.
I would be really happy with this roster, though!

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I don't think it's a bad thing to be excited or confident in the possibility. Just prepare for a scenario in which it doesn't happen. There are still things we don't know and Steve is a big one. Minecraft content will probably happen but Steve as playable is still on the air. We'll see though.

However, I will say that I have been continually surprised by the popularity of Banjo. The fact that he blew that gigantic poll away relatively easily is a very telling sign. Say what you will about that Tweet by Phil Spenced, but if it did anything it boosted Banjo's popularity. I dunno. I think it could go either way. Or both ways, preferably.
Yeah, I did see that reddit poll this morning.

I think that it could even be like the hypothetical 2 SE reps.
Sora's the tough one to get; but Geno would be easy as hell, from what it seems. So why not get both?

Same for Steve and BK in my eyes.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Welp, if this new Switch model becomes a real thing I know I'm going to reluctantly but it because I'm a stinking Nintendrone.

On the bright side it'll help me fight the temptation of buying that special edition Super Smash Brothers Switch. Hopefully they'll sell those joycons separately.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Funny enough bill saying 72 hours

Because it just accrued to me what’s happening in october

Majoras mask 18th anniversary so maybe skull kids the reveal for that perhaps?
(If Medusa is thrown in that’s a bonus)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well that and Tropical Freeze helped but it's kind of sticky situation with Rool being included first(not to mention a bit of a base breaker issue regarding how she should be either a semi clone or doomed as an echo, many of her diehard fans don't like the echo treatment where's the more passive or desperate ones are okay with it.) I'm still not throwing the towel just yet.

NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy I just want to point out that I'm not getting on Rool's fan base but I just don't like how some people act like I shouldn't support her because of K. Rool being included already and claim DK fans just want more faces on the character selection screen, I actually want to play as Dixie in Smash and I'm sure many feel that way when it comes to their most wanted.
Personally, I think they missed the boat (no pun intended) when K.Rool was revealed. It was the perfect time to casually put her in without much fanfare (if she was an echo) so that she didn't take away from K.Rool's trailer.
I can't say I understand how Sakurai's mind works, but to me it would have made sense? I still like Dixie, but I'm not confident in her chances right now. There's always DLC. Wonder if echoes would be cheaper...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ouch, where's Mario's OOF sound effect when you need it? XD
Like it's nothing personal, lol. It's just I can't personally get excited about any reboot after a game that brings literally everyone back, you know? Like, why play that when Ultimate exists? It'd feel like a huge downgrade.

Honestly that's a legitimate issue Future!Me needs to worry about when the time comes, and not Present!Me, but still. If Melee players can stick to the same game for seventeen years, who knows? Maybe I can too. :p

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I still don't think Sakurai would add Steve before Banjo.

Just my thoughts
I'm sure people didn't think Cloud would get in before Geno, but here we are.

Sakurai is looking at more than just character popularity. He's also looking at the franchise itself. Banjo is easily more requested than Steve, but can B&K hold a candle to a gaming monster like Minecraft?

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Personally I do not mind between Banjo & Kazooie or Steve for Smash.

Banjo & Kazooie is something that I played since I was young when I had the Nintendo 64 and for Steve, as I had stated before that I've yet to play the Minecraft series but I do understand its popularity.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Basically, sometimes games are so challenging that people would rather just want to see everything they have to offer by playing as little of it as possible. Not exactly reviewers, but there are journalists and devs out there that want the option to skip the gameplay. Of course, that would be a problem depending on the execution.

https://nichegamer.com/2017/10/04/git-gud-you-should-be-able-to-skip-cutscenes-but-never-gameplay/
Hm. An interesting opinion, but that's a really poorly written/edited piece. And statements like, "My personal theory is that a lot of the gaming press and critics are simply stuck in an industry they really don’t like and want to make it more of what they like..." really diminish the article as a whole, even if it is an editorial.

I haven't seen too many examples of games journalists not wanting to play the game itself, outside of the IGN plagiarizing debacle and Zero Punctuation proudly not finishing half the stuff he plays. What I have seen are journalists who list a game's lack of respect for players' time in an era of "games as a service" and pay-to-win DLC as a negative, which I think is totally warranted. I can't sink fifteen hours into every major release just to see when it gets good later on. I can only imagine having to play them on a deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom