• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are people looking past the tweet he's replying to? It's a MM reference about a spooky asteroid passing by.

ITS NOT A HINT

Those don't happen on weekends either I'm pretty sure.
I find it hard to believe a Nintendo figure doesn't know the power his words have. Also apparently he's teased before.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Maybe in Japan, but overseas? I doubt it.
I remember Cloud having a few supporters, but most people didn't genuinely think he'd get in. That's probably why Sakurai was specifically looking for the most popular FF character. He saw a small window to get a FF character in Smash, so he took it.
Pls. We had that discussion earlier today, Saying that cloud had "a few supporters" is false. Ever since the Brawl days and the open door of third parties he was in a lot of People's top 10 pick and people were mocked, for a while he became the "Goku" of the fanbase.

good lord, people keep twisting his statements again
I mean, what he said is clear. Square doesn't care about Geno if he's leaked because he's a common pick, whenever he's in the leak trap list of not, whenever he's the right characters or not.

People are just SLIIIGHTLY suspicious thinking that it make no sense to make a leak trap list if you put Geno in the middle of like three random SE name. That's like putting Pikachu in the middle of 4 other random pokemon names and asks "Who's going to be in smash?"

However, no matter what, Geno is the most likely.

Boys, I voted for Cloud "most voted for FF character" Strife back when people called us silly for such.
Smash echo chamber dude. Smash echo chambers. Happy to see that someone else voted Cloud :bobomb:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Do you see the pattern there which makes those the exception?
A pattern comes in 3's or more. There are other instances of directs being announced on weekends and actual directs happening on them as well.

Basically there are no rules for when a direct can happen

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I think at MOST he's hinting at a character trailer or Direct announcement in 3 days time. That's it. And that's a small chance, his comment may have nothing to do with it and we could still get an announcement this weekend.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
what IS all this about Wall Street Journal anyway? Anyone wanna fill me in?

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Bill's just making a Majora's Mask joke.

I've made Majora's Mask jokes, you've made Majora's Mask jokes, literally everyone and their mothers make Majora's Mask jokes.
Nuh uh. My mom doesn't make Majora Mask jokes cause she doesn't know what it is!

Therefore, your post is wrong.

Checkmate. :smirk:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I find it hard to believe a Nintendo figure doesn't know the power his words have. Also apparently he's teased before.
That still doesn't make it a tease.

This is some basic occam's razor stuff right here. You'd have to ignore the context of the comment and the conflicting schedule this theory implies for this to be halfway plausible. And therein makes it implausible.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
okay so yeah it's not a Skull Kid hint.

However, if Skull Kid get's revealed anyway (yus!), people will say Chairs/Couch/Pillow in Sakurai's Background Theory was right and only applied to reveals during Smash Directs :troll:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Anthony Higgs is the one thing besides the music that people seem to universally like about Other M.

I think he's pretty cool. As a relative outsider to the Metroid series, getting a playable character from the Galactic Federation seems like a neat concept, and Higgs himself is cool.
I watched the Other M The Movie and he really doesn't have anything to him. He's just this extremely nice guy who just happens to be the only one besides Samus to survive the whole game and doesn't do much that makes him interesting or to stand out. Tbh, he feels more like an action film character than a Metroid one.

That still doesn't make it a tease.

This is some basic occam's razor stuff right here. You'd have to ignore the context of the comment and the conflicting schedule this theory implies for this to be halfway plausible. And therein makes it implausible.
There is no conflicting schedule. Announcements have been made on Sundays. I'm not saying it's absolute but we should keep our eyes peeled. You don't know for certain and neither do I.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
72 hours from now would roughly fall onto Sunday. If Big House 8 does what EVO did this year and teases a new Smash Direct before a grand final starts, then this could very well what Bill is teasing towards. It makes a lot of sense in my opinion, since the Big House series are among the most improtant Smash tournaments every year, and it would be a great way to spread news of a brand new Smash focus Direct. Thankfully we won't have to wait much longer to see if my prediction is correct or not.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm sure he's aware. But the problem is that during the Smash hype cycle, there's a fan for everything. If he's sincerely worried about Smash fans getting riled up, he couldn't even tweet about anything Nintendo without getting some fanbase saying "________ confirmed!!!"

If anything-- and this is me being a pessimist here-- the tweet deconfirms Skull Kid as a playable character. I imagine that by now Trinen is aware of the final roster, and he wouldn't be allowed to tease the idea of one of the characters he knows hasn't been announced yet.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I watched the Other M The Movie and he really doesn't have anything to him. He's just this extremely nice guy who just happens to be the only one besides Samus to survive the whole game and doesn't do much that makes him interesting or to stand out. Tbh, he feels more like an action film character than a Metroid one.
"Man, you've got no style!"

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So someone at Nintendo makes a tweet and once again it's somehow a hint. So what else is new with Smash speculation?

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, I think a Direct/reveal 'announcement' on Sunday for the Big House is fine.

But it doesn't mean Skull Kid.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
A pattern comes in 3's or more. There are other instances of directs being announced on weekends and actual directs happening on them as well.

Basically there are no rules for when a direct can happen
Pretend I said the word commonality then. Pedantry won't negate the point.

And yeah there are directs aired or announced on weekends, but those are very rare, so if that and a tweet devoid of all context are the main points on which this theories hinges, I'd warn to brace for a letdown.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
So someone at Nintendo makes a tweet and once again it's somehow a hint. So what else is new with Smash speculation?
It's not really a hint. People are jumping to conclusions atm.

I am however arguing that a direct or trailer announcement could happen any day now.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
If it is Skull Kid though this is gonna throw a loop over VergeBen's predictions.
Lack of evidence is proof of evidence.
Not because Vergeben didn't know about Skull Kid (if he get announced) that it means he's wrong.
He always claimed that the three Characters he knows (Incineroar/Ken/Square-Enix Character) are in the game 100%(At worstDLC for Square-Enix) not that it was JUST this.

Raspberry

Smash Journeyman
So let me get this straight. Smash fans have built their theories upon furniture, numerology, boxes, music, clouds, trophies, even Mother Nature itself and now we're moving to Twitter references about what is happening in outer space? What's next, interdimensional leaks?

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Bill's just making a Majora's Mask joke.

I've made Majora's Mask jokes, you've made Majora's Mask jokes, literally everyone and their mothers make Majora's Mask jokes.

This isn't a direct hint. This isn't a Skull Kid hint.

It's a Majora's Mask joke.
My Mom actually almost made me return Majora's Mask when I was a kid because she thought the mask transformations were creepy as ****.

She actually did make me return Perfect Dark because it was "too real". Funny to look back on that now that we have **** like Call of Duty and Battlefield.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
There's no way people actually believe Bill not only retweeting the obvious not-Smash reference and making a joke about it, but also knowingly have it be a real-world comparison be a Smash leak.

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt don't be this ****ing dumb. :073:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don't think Bill is hinting at anything. He could be. I don't think it would be for something like Skull Kid in Smash though as that would make his tweet would be TOO obvious and then he'd never be able to post anything ever again without people saying it'sa hint. Something happening in general in 72 hours though. Maybe.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
So let me get this straight. Smash fans have built their theories upon furniture, numerology, boxes, music, clouds, trophies, even Mother Nature itself and now we're moving to Twitter references about what is happening in outer space? What's next, interdimensional leaks?
No, the Nintendo guy on Twitter is clearly making a Majoras Mask reference but people are absolutely jumping to conclusions about it.

D

Deleted member

tbh, I just want Anthony to show up in another Metroid game so we can remember him.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That's exactly what I'm talking about, when has Metroid ever needed some guy spouting random one-liners?
It needed characters that weren't just Samus and Ridley.

For real, I understand that a major theme of Metroid is isolation, but its really hard to make plots that are worth a damn when the only recurring characters are Samus and Ridley.

Anthony is one of the few characters that is both an ally to Samus AND is alive.

Plus his friendly and goofy personality creates a nice foil to Samus' stoic and reserved personality.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Not necessarily. Verg didn't know about K. Rool either. Only way Verg would be wrong is if Incineroar or Ken were deconfirmed at this point
Skull Kid wouldn't disprove Verge, or the box theory. But if he were confirmed, both box and Verge can't be right.

Not that I believe Skull Kid will be announced, but it's fun to think about the possibilities.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Are people looking past the tweet he's replying to? It's a MM reference about a spooky asteroid passing by.

ITS NOT A HINT
I'm just quoting this because people need to read it.

72 Hours Remaining is like the most common phrase associated with that game. It was just a joke ya'll stop losing your minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom