• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Other M failed because it was ****. Not because it tried to do something different.
There are still various factors that add up to it being ****. It doesn't hurt to analyze what they are and learn from mistakes.

It's not **** because it's doing something different, but some of the things it did differently made it ****.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Look at Bill's Twitter feed, he retweets a lot of nerdy science and astronomy stuff. He's a science nerd who's associated with Nintendo, making a Majora's Mask joke about a spooky looking asteroid is not something strange for a guy like him at all.

I'm like 99% sure it isn't some cryptic hint.

D

Deleted member

Very late response, but there was:

It was done before Isabelle was confirmed though, so it's more of a viewpoint into the fanbase's thoughts from about a month ago.
Hilda and Dry Bowser over Zack and Louie really hurts.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This community was already shred in two over a box. Please don't shred it in four over a funny looking rock in space.
It's also awkward to talk about it on top of that, because that funny-looking rock in space could have hit our planet.

Very late response, but there was:

It was done before Isabelle was confirmed though, so it's more of a viewpoint into the fanbase's thoughts from about a month ago.
RIP DMK, he never stood a chance.

Also, Ninten's look amuses me a lot more than it needs to, it's almost like a French version of Ness. :laugh:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Look at Bill's Twitter feed, he retweets a lot of nerdy science and astronomy stuff. He's a science nerd who's associated with Nintendo, making a Majora's Mask joke about a spooky looking asteroid is not something strange for a guy like him at all.

I'm like 99% sure it isn't some cryptic hint.
hah a ****ing nerd

alright let's talk about boxes

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm a huge fan of Incineroar and Geno and I hope to see them revealed soon, but yeah these fake leaks could stand to be a little more creative.
Come on, we all know you're fake! Put Cooking Mama on your 4chan post, at least it'll get us talking.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
But that's the thing, Metroid isn't a narrative game, it doesn't NEED a story other than an excuse for Samus to do whatever the hell she does. The reason OM failed was because it tried to do something that it wasn't.
And if they needed more characters, then all they needes to do was get Adam right like Fusion did. You don't need a Remember The New Guy scenario with a personality that seems to have come straight from an action film.
Metroid is incredibly narrative. The lore in those games are more advanced than any other game I have ever played. You just have to read. And it's not forced reading, it's voluntary. Metroid is incredibly lore driven and has a story there. It's not in the forefront though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There are still various factors that add up to it being ****. It doesn't hurt to analyze what they are and learn from mistakes.

It's not **** because it's doing something different, but some of the things it did differently made it ****.
With Japanese culture though, they often drop entirely what's innovative when something goes wrong and seldom try it again, so at this stage it's irrelevant unless they got a Western studio that did acknowledge that game's faults and do their own better spin on it (since Retro's hella busy .

What's with Nintendo and all these Majora's Mask related teases? I'm not convinced it will lead anywhere...
Haven't been a Skull Kid supporter, won't be, so I ain't even mad.

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
I'm a huge fan of Incineroar and Geno and I hope to see them revealed soon, but yeah these fake leaks could stand to be a little more creative.
Come on, we all know you're fake! Put Cooking Mama on your 4chan post, at least it'll get us talking.
Was there a new fake leak with those two, or are you just saying in general?

Metroid is incredibly narrative. The lore in those games are more advanced than any other game I have ever played. You just have to read. And it's not forced reading, it's voluntary. Metroid is incredibly lore driven and has a story there. It's not in the forefront though.
Reading the logbook entries is like half the fun of the 3D Metroid games. There is SO MUCH info packed in those things.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
To be honest when I first saw the Bill tweet I didn't even think Smash at all.

>Guy makes a tweet about a spooky looking asteroid, comparing it to the MM Moon.
>Bill makes a reference to MM.

Bill's personal twitter is very casual. He'll tweet and respond to things just because he feels like it.

When does this asteroid pass earth? Could it be that THAT'S what Bill meant? As in "Oh **** it passes soon?"

Also where are these people actually believing it's a smash hint? I just see people in this thread commenting on it, and others going "you idiots this isn't a hint" without any people actually saying it is.

As for him hinting at a Big House announcement, I doubt it. EVO was significant because EVERY big fighting game is there, and as such it attracts a lot more viewers. Many of those viewers might not be huge into Smash news, and so an announcement could get them to watch. Big House is only smash, a community that's already going to watch whatever Nintendo puts out regardless.
What is Bill's full name and what is this tweet?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I can't see Ninten being an echo.

His proportions fit Ness' alright, but his moves should be different. Some (if not most, I forgot) of Ness' PK moves aren't even in the first Mother.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Game Developer: *sneezes
Smash Community: Sneezing is a sign of getting the cold! You go to a doctor to get a cold remedy!!! DOCTOR LUIGI CONFIRMED FOR SMASH!!!

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
But that's the thing, Metroid isn't a narrative game, it doesn't NEED a story other than an excuse for Samus to do whatever the hell she does. The reason OM failed was because it tried to do something that it wasn't.
And if they needed more characters, then all they needes to do was get Adam right like Fusion did. You don't need a Remember The New Guy scenario with a personality that seems to have come straight from an action film.
Funny thing about that is that the Prime series as a whole did a better job of building a narrative through its worldbuilding than Other M's hamfisted attempt at telling a story.

Smooth Criminal

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The Square rep we deserve.
Technically, she's an Office Create Rep, but I agree.

Do you think people might have voted for her?

Game Developer: *sneezes
Smash Community: Sneezing is a sign of getting the cold! You go to a doctor to get a cold remedy!!! DOCTOR LUIGI CONFIRMED FOR SMASH!!!
Yeah, it sadly gets this ridiculous nowadays. I miss Smash 4 speculation...

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I don't think it's a bad thing to be excited or confident in the possibility. Just prepare for a scenario in which it doesn't happen. There are still things we don't know and Steve is a big one. Minecraft content will probably happen but Steve as playable is still on the air. We'll see though.

However, I will say that I have been continually surprised by the popularity of Banjo. The fact that he blew that gigantic poll away relatively easily is a very telling sign. Say what you will about that Tweet by Phil Spenced, but if it did anything it boosted Banjo's popularity. I dunno. I think it could go either way. Or both ways, preferably.
I think there's more to it, though--it's not that Phil Spencer's tweet boosted Banjo's popularity, but opened up a silent majority that had been silent thinking it was impossible. They were a Nintendo character...owned by Microsoft. Banjo & Kazooie have been wanted since Melee, but after the Microsoft buyout--most of us considered it impossible. Of course, as a result, it looks like he had a rise in popularity--and so I'm not saying to "pretend he did" as we have to accept the evidence at face value. But to also acknowledge the possible reasons why.

And so it's just a lil frustrating for those of us that had been holding out hope since Melee--now that the impossible is possible--for it to still not happen.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Are people looking past the tweet he's replying to? It's a MM reference about a spooky asteroid passing by.

ITS NOT A HINT
Okay, it may not be a hint, what I mean by “messing with us” is that he was making a joke.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Pretty ignorant thing to say. He became an AT BECAUSE many people knew who he was and have been pulling for him for more than a decade.
Oh good. That clears up why there was so much Kuru Kuru Kururin and Joy Mecha Fighter support around here.

...oh wait.

Last edited:

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Technically, she's an Office Create Rep, but I agree.

Yeah, it sadly gets this ridiculous nowadays. I miss Smash 4 speculation...
Personally I think it's just because since Ultimate is the biggest Smash game ever, we're all hyped with speculation on who's next, and are trying to dig for any possible information we can, especially since it's not like new info is being given out every week. Plus, it's fun.

D

Deleted member

Yo whatup I'm back. Was gone for a bit, anything interesting happen? Has the inevitable Gothitelle reveal been confirmed?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This entire situation in a nutshell:

93O5Abp.jpg

Smash 4 speculation had Trophy Theory, Ridley's Shadow and tower of smash.

It wasn't much better back then.
Okay, so what was the least worst speculation period? At least there was a "Pichu will be the last DLC guys" poster, but we don't even have something like that this time, so it's less funny.

nah

murder is
What about disguises? We could have had that if Agent 47's Hitman franchise was still at Squeenix.

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
Smash 4 speculation had Trophy Theory, Ridley's Shadow and tower of smash.

It wasn't much better back then.
Spotting patterns or hints out of nothing is a smash tradition at this point. Remember the spots on the Smash 4 site TOTALLY meaning we were going to get Wolf?
Or the infamous clouds from the beginning of SSE showing playable characters?

It happens at basically EVERY opportunity.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
I'm severely shocked he hasn't put (NOT CLICKBAIT) at this point. This is some xtremegamez level of ****ery.
Worst part is, look at those numbers. He is getting THOUSANDS of views, dear god.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Isn't Smashchu one of those people who adamantly railed against Ninka/Vaanrose's leak and then against the ESRB leak all the way up until Shulk got revealed?
I question most of these rumor. You know, because I don't believe everything I see on the internet.

And thats the problem with the Smash community now. People mock others because they didn't believe a leak. They mock others because they dared to question something. "How dare you be skeptical about something. You must listen and believe." As I've said, there use to be a time where people were heavily skeptical of what others said. Even on Smashboards, post that actually had real information were doubted and were even deleted by the mods. Now, you have the exact opposite situation except now it's far more childish since everyone shuts their brains off and just except whatever is put on their plate. Look at where its gotten you all. You have YouTube channels that discuss every """leak""" with absolutely no merit to them just for click. You all think Skull Kid is definitely in because Bill made a tweet replying to someone else using an image from Majora's Mask. You guys buy into everything your told and you're critical of me because I say "You know, that could be wrong." All you've done is created a hotbed for fakers to come in and get their 15 minutes of fame.

And by the way, there is a link to my blog in my signature. Go to December/January. You know who I was writing about? Laura Dale and all the "leaks" she made. You know what happened? She was absolutely wrong. And who said she was wrong? I did. Despite everyone believing them. Despite almost every major game site hanging on her every word. If fact, I think I said it perfectly in that post

The end result is that these behavior encourage liars and fakers. Consider this scenario. Let’s say I had a Patreon or a Paypal and I wanted to make more money. I wanted cash fast, so rather than building my brand, I just try to get attention to get a lot of people to give me cash. All I need to do is make a fake rumor. If I have a few people vouch for me. Maybe I make nice with someone in the industry or make fake reddit and twitter accounts to say how “credible” I am. Then, I could keep peddling rumors and sites would cover it. Heck, even if I actually have legitimate information, I could just stretch the truth a little and make some fake rumors. Even if they are all wrong, I fall back on the few good ones.
Sorry I'm not a good little sheeple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom