• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Hey so uh

I’m hearing from a friend in a discord server that some GameStops have an ad saying 100 fighters or something, and that some clerks reinforced it to them

Anyone been to a GameStop lately and noticed said ad??
Hm, but there's problem with this: If those clerks claimed to know that there's 100 fighters, there's no way for them to know that number UNTIL nintendo told them (which is very impossible since we know that Nintendo is keeping true number of fighters in secret). I bet that they woul-
Yeah apparently disregard all that, whomever’s in charge of advertising for GameStop got bamboozled by a literal deviantart mockup:

https://www.deviantart.com/ssbfangamer/art/Super-Smash-Bros-For-Nintendo-Switch-Boxart-711515999

****IN' KNEW IT. They just fell for this ****, nice fanmade cover there. Or maybe that Gamestop clerks misunderstood, and it was count of ATs and fighters together.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Jeez, how much would all the Smash DLC end up being monetarily if they go up to 100 characters? How much would you have to pay to get the Ultimate ULTIMATE experience?
It costed ~$34 to get all 7 fighters, granted those are all unique. I can see echo fighters being thrown in to the mix with uniques for the same price.

At most I can see a season pass costing $40, which probably means 8-10 unique fighters + echo fighters (unless those will be come through DLC another way). Perhaps if it's huge enough, they do another season. Not sure though.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Jeez, how much would all the Smash DLC end up being monetarily if they go up to 100 characters? How much would you have to pay to get the Ultimate ULTIMATE experience?
Let's be generous and say $4 a character and both include echos in the and count the mii fighters and Pokemon trainer as three each.

We start with 68 characters and 6 echos for 74

Assuming two more new characters and two more echos that makes 78 on base roster. So that's 22 x 4, coming to... 88 dollarydoos?! And characters will probably cost more, especially if packaged with stages

Let's hope new Echos are packaged in too to fluff up the numbers.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If you had one opportunity to include a 3rd Party series that has never been on a single Nintendo console/handheld, which would it be?

For me? Either Ratchet & Clank or Ape Escape.
Sly Cooper, no contest. Since Sucker Punch had done a N64 game once, I imagine they wouldn't need much prodding (then again, Sony does own the IP nowadays).

There's also Jak & Daxter. Would be amusing, especially when pit against protags that are mute like Jak used to be.

Not really bias if Bandana Dee is highly demanded and requested especially in Japan.

Sakurai's already dealt with worst too like the rabid Waluigi fans.
A few angry Waluigi fans is nothing compared to the collective annoyance Dee fans would have if he's not in there.

Hm, but there's problem with this: If those clerks claimed to know that there's 100 fighters, there's no way for them to know that number UNTIL nintendo told them (which is very impossible since we know that Nintendo is keeping true number of fighters in secret). I bet that they woul-

****IN' KNEW IT. They just fell for this ****, nice fanmade cover there. Or maybe that Gamestop clerks misunderstood, and it was count of ATs and fighters together.
How on Earth would anyone be fooled by that when they don't even use the RIGHT Pac-Man design on the cover? :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I know that SonicToast would love Goomba to be playable.
Goombario, Goombella, or bust.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I know pre-planned DLC gets flack, but I really hope they plan it out better in advance this time. There's a huge advantage to having discounted season passes for both developers and consumers compared to releasing everything one by one like Smash 4 did.
Is Goomba a better choice than Geno?
Well, Goomba is far, far more recognizable then Geno and has even been playable in some Mario spin off titles. The only thing it lacks is moveset potential, but I'm sure a creative mind out there could come up with something. I wouldn't even know who Geno was if it wasn't for Smash speculation.

I mean I think Geno is the far better and far more likely choice but you could actually make the case for Goomba.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
69: Incineroar
70: Steve
71: Elma
72: Geno

36e: Dixie Kong
38e: Shadow
54e: Medusa
60e: Ken

-

1. Bandana Dee
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Gen 8 Pokemon
4. Heihachi
5. Isaac
6. Rex
7. Rhythm Heaven rep
8. Skull Kid
9. Sora
10. Spring Man

1. Black Knight
2. Black Shadow
3. Felix
4. Impa
5. Jeanne
6. Octoling
7. Ribbon Girl
8. Zack Fair

Could you just imagine that...

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
Let's be generous and say $4 a character and both include echos in the and count the mii fighters and Pokemon trainer as three each.

We start with 68 characters and 6 echos for 74

Assuming two more new characters and two more echos that makes 78 on base roster. So that's 22 x 4, coming to... 88 dollarydoos?! And characters will probably cost more, especially if packaged with stages

Let's hope new Echos are packaged in too to fluff up the numbers.
And then at the end we get "Smash Ultimate: "But for real this time guys" edition" with all DLC added in.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
69: Incineroar
70: Steve
71: Elma
72: Geno

36e: Dixie Kong
38e: Shadow
54e: Medusa
60e: Ken

-

1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. TH Fire Emblem character
3. Gen 8 Pokemon
4. Heihachi
5. Isaac
6. Mach Rider
7. Rex
8. Rhythm Heaven rep
9. Sora
10. Sylux

1. Black Knight
2. Black Shadow
3. Felix
4. Hilda
5. Impa
6. Jeanne
7. Ninten
8. Octoling
9. Ribbon Girl
10. Zack Fair

Could you just imagine that...
Doesn’t Bayonetta’s Jeanne palette deconfirm Jeanne tho

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
And then at the end we get "Smash Ultimate: "But for real this time guys" edition" with all DLC added in.
Just to make all of us who did buy in feel silly for it.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Fighter Pack 1: Skull Kid, Geno, Shadow.

Cost: One Human Soul

Smash Fans: Deal.

Does Peach have the Daisy palette still? If not, I know Simon has a Richter color.

Last edited:

Chrono.

No.

If it was a real alternate costume, then yeah.
Does Peach have the Daisy palette still? If not, I know Simon has a Richter color.
Not a Richter color, it's based on the SCV4 Japanese box art.

Super_Castlevania_IV_-_(JP)_-_01.jpg

But it's close enough to say they look similar, which is why I think the whole alt colors=deconfirmed isn't an end all be all.

Not to mention if they cared that much about similar looking different characters then Yoshi wouldn't have two near identical looking alts.

Last edited:

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
I can easily see Nintendo go the season pass route
Considering we got a season's pass for both Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade Chronicles 2, I can easily see them having at least one for Ultimate.

Hopefully it's reasonably priced when compared to the bundles that were offered in Smash 4 (where you didn't really save anything by purchasing bundles unless you bought the shared character and stage bundles for both the 3DS & Wii U games).

EDIT: I had forgotten that Fire Emblem Warriors also had a season pass, oops. So yeah, it almost seems all but assured.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Man, that bet I made...still can be fulfilled and paid. Incineroar needs to be revealed next.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I got beat to it but no, it's not a Richter color. This ain't Fire Emblem costume hour where a slightly more blue Marth is Roy.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I mean, Goomba is technically one of not only the most iconic Nintendo enemies but the most recognizable mook in gaming history, the general public would be familiar with them more then some overrated decade old side puppet.:troll:

How many fighting games actually break the 100 characters mark?
Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 as far as I know.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You shut your mouth I'll have you know Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 was the most goddamn fun anime spam brawler fighting game out there.
Sure, if you were some 11 year old making machinima about Future Trunks staying in the Present timeline and beating up Majin Buu.

N-not like I'd know from experience, hahaha.

Jchrono95

Smash Apprentice
Can I say something?
I've never play Super Mario RPG. Was Geno really that cool there or is his following wanting him in more as representation for the game?

Chrono.

So Galacta Knight is fair game then?
Well in Galacta Knight's case, Meta Knight's model was edited slightly to resemble him even more. Same case as Captain Falcon's Blood Falcon alt that has the logo on his back.

It's definitely not in the same ballpark as a color swap.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So Galacta Knight is fair game then?
The point of removing identical-looking alternate costumes is that you don't confuse one character with another.
Untitled.png Untitled.png
These two could easily be confused for the other. Take it out.

To a lesser extent. Not as strong of a resemblance, but anyone who only hates FE because of Smash would probably get them confused on a daily basis. Blue hair, big sword, mostly similar body types, the looks. Palutena's Guidance also directly approaches this similarity.

Untitled.png Untitled.png
What kind of blind man do you have to be to get these confused, though? They obviously have different body types and recognizable features. Mario's figure alone is able to discern him easily through his mustache or the M still being an M.

Well in Galacta Knight's case, Meta Knight's model was edited slightly to resemble him even more. Same case as Captain Falcon's Blood Falcon alt that has the logo on his back.

It's definitely not in the same ballpark as a color swap.
I recall the Blood Hawk being there since Melee, but it was censored in all international releases until 4.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
100 characters? Guess it's time for a new game.

From 69 til 100. Who would the remaining characters be? To not go overboard. Clones and echoes will for this game hold an actual number.

69. Incineroar.
70. Elma.
71. Medusa.
72. Bandana Waddle Dee.
73. Isaac.
74. Chibi-Robo.
75. Dixie Kong.
76. Lip.
77. Rayman.
78. Geno.
79. Ken Masters.

80. Shadow the Hedgehog.
81. Banjo & Kazooie.
82. Steve.
83. Captain Toad.
84. Decidueye.
85. Chorus Kids.
86. Rex & Pyra.
87. Heihachi Mishima.
88. Spring Man.
89. Sora.

90. Crash Bandicoot.
91. Joker.
92. Celica.
93. Black Shadow.
94. Doshin the Giant.
95. Karate Joe.
96. Shantae.
97. Lark.
98. Skull Kid.
99. Shy Guy.
100. Hanafuda Cards.

Last edited:

Chrono.

The point of removing identical-looking alternate costumes is that you don't confuse one character with another.
View attachment 167101View attachment 167102
These two could easily be confused for the other. Take it out.

To a lesser extent. Not as strong of a resemblance, but anyone who only hates FE because of Smash would probably get them confused on a daily basis. Blue hair, big sword, mostly similar body types, the looks. Palutena's Guidance also directly approaches this similarity.

View attachment 167104View attachment 167105
What kind of blind man do you have to be to get these confused, though? They obviously have different body types and recognizable features.

I recall the Blood Hawk being there since Melee, but it was censored in all international releases until 4.
Gotta wonder why they went ahead and added 2 green Yoshis.

Unless Crafted Yoshi and regular green Yoshi can't be selected or on the stage at the same time.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Unless Crafted Yoshi and regular green Yoshi can't be selected or on the stage at the same time.
And what exactly is the difference between Falcon and Falcon but his jumpsuit is a light black?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Crafted Yoshi isn't the same shade of green.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think "not getting players confused" is honestly a lost cause at this point when in Smash Wii U, you can currently have an 8 player FFA with all Little Macs being wireframes on the neon-green background stage that is Duck Hunt.

If players don't want to get confused, then leave it to the players to not choose similar looking alternate color-schemes.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I do believe with echos and extended DLC that it's possible to get to 100 through DLC. I don't think it's what they'll do, despite being close, so I don't consider it likely--I also try not to speculate too much on DLC as a lot of the unknown unknowns would become known after the game is released, in addition to the known unknowns of the base roster size/characters. But here's a realistic wish list to demonstrate:

Base
74. Incineroar
75. Isaac
76. Felix (echo)
77. Banjo & Kazooie
78. Ken (echo)
79. Shadow (echo)
80. Geno

DLC
81. Octolings (echo)
82. Dixie Kong (echo)
83. Impa (echo)
84-85. Rex & Pyra
86. Spring Man
87. Bandana Waddle Dee
88. Skull Kid
89. Edelgard
90. Waluigi (Assist-playable)

91. Joker (Sega/Atlus)
92. Tails (Sega)
93. Heihachi (Bandai Namco)
94. Bomberman (Konami/Assist-playable)
95. Dante (Capcom)
96. Erdrick (Square Enix)
97. Sora (Square Enix/Disney)
98. Rayman (Ubisoft)
99. Crash Bandicoot (Activision)
100. Travis Touchdown (Grasshopper Manufacture)

I include echoes in the count, as well as considering Pokemon Trainer and Mii Fighters separately--it's kinda a cheat, but it's a cheat I could see them doing. The order also doesn't matter. Now, I do believe assist trophies to playable characters is an unlikely (but not unrealistic) scenario. Which is why I only did one first party and one third party--they could easily be substituted with other characters. And there's more given some known unknowns--if DLC is extended, we may see an 8th Gen Pokemon as DLC. And I'm certain there are some more plausible characters that I couldn't think of. It's easy to get to 100 characters with DLC--it's just uncertain how long it will go for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom