• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
If this is what we're ending with, I'm fine:

You see it's funny because I'm fine with the game's current roster even if we get no more newcomers.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
If Incineroar has this as his pummel and D-Throw, then I'd be 100% satisfied with him being in Ultimate:

finalfightmame8.gif

Of course, I'd love anything else Mike Haggar related for his moveset, as he was my favorite character to use in Final Fight.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero

I know Mega Man could talk through text early, but hearing his voice in a game now (forget the cartoon) is nice. Also, clean gameplay and graphics to boot.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
It's weird, but I kind of wish Nintendo kept Jason's voice clips for Radiant Dawn Ike while Greg voiced Path of Radiance Ike.

As for Princess Zelda... unless I'm mistaken, I think she's being voiced by Yu Shimamura (who I believe seems to be the "primary" Zelda voice of the late 2000s, whereas Jun Misuzawa was the 'primary Zelda' of the 90s and early 2000's).
Wouldn't have minded that seeing as Greg's range is kinda poor (all his FEH characters sound the same).
Oh that's interesting, was she Zelda in BOTW?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
If this is all we're ending with, then i'm fine with it.
Celica Better be a Robin echo.... But yeah, I'd love this roster...

Incineroar: Litten was my gen 7 starter and hated Rowlet and the attention he got... Looks like I might have the Last laugh 10/10
Shadow: Easily one of the most obvious echoes... I'd take it... 10/10
Ken: He's the OG echo... He deserves it 10/10
Steve: Easily my most wanted third party character... 10/10
Celica: This is assuming that she is a Pichu version of Robin... In that case, yes I'd take her 8/10
Geno: While I don't want him personally, I know a lot of fans want him and I respect that. So I'm kinda hoping he's in, just for them... 7/10

overall, this possible last batch of newcomers gets a 9/10 from me. All that it would be missing for me is an RH rep, and It would be perfect...

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
So far I see it as we’re just gonna get a few more coming up with one more directly given what sakurai said.

Otherwise it’s playing the waiting game til release day.

Almost just 2 months left.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Is there more info to suggest that this is the final roster? Fill me in...
See this here box?

It suggests that either we are getting no more newomers, or that our remaining newcomers are invisible. So I suppose it's still possible we could get a ghost or the Invisible Man as playable fighters.

Also Isabelle was a lie. Sakurai only put that trailer out because he's a troll.

No offense to anyone who actually believes the box theory, I actually do believe it could be plausible.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
"Celica as a Robin echo" is the new "Isabelle as a Villager echo."

I'm not putting too much stock into a text leak that may have gotten lucky since I believe in Box Theory, but Celica as a Robin echo outright doesn't work.

Like, there's a better chance of Mae getting in as a Celica echo, and that's saying something. I'd totally love that btw.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
The Black Hole item may not be labled as a Kid Icarus item, but it's very clearly taken from the Black Hole power from Uprising. It functions exactly the same way.
So do many black holes, doesn’t mean it’s from Uprising (Mega Man and Palutena have black holes apart of their final smashes, so it’d be pointless to make the item from either series). The only new item from this game and the item from Smash 4 that were obviously taken from Uprising are the *Insight* Staff and the Drill Arm

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
If this is what we're ending with, I'm fine:

You see it's funny because I'm fine with the game's current roster even if we get no more newcomers.
As I've said before, Smash Ultimate could have ended at E3 and I would have been satisfied. Pre-E3, I was actively hoping for a Smash 4 port so that nobody would get cut. How naive I was back then.

That having been said, I've readjusted my expectations with what's been given. The end of E3 lowered expectations, and the August Direct shattered them. So it's been quite difficult to adjust my expectations this time around--but the above continues to remain true. :upsidedown:

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
At page 1000, we were in the middle of that gap between the reveal and E3
At page 2000, we were hot off the coattails of E3, talking about what Ultimate had to offer and could offer
At page 3000, we were still hyped about everything shown in the Smash Direct
At page 4000, we were all in chaos about the direct being delayed

And now, at page 5000....wait how did we get here in 3 weeks?
In response to your question, a cardboard box.
That, and Steve.
And now, I guess, another Fire Emblem character.

D

Deleted member

If this is all we're ending with, then i'm fine with it.
Inceneroar: I’ll take it. Not the Pokemon I was expecting, but hey maybe he’ll be cool.
Ken: Not surprised considering Ken is the OG clone.
Geno: Great for everyone that wanted him after all these years.
Steve: Eh, I’m not to big on Steve, but I think he could offer something interesting.
Shadow: Bleh.
Celica:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey so uh

I’m hearing from a friend in a discord server that some GameStops have an ad saying 100 fighters or something, and that some clerks reinforced it to them

Anyone been to a GameStop lately and noticed said ad??

D

Deleted member

Hey so uh

I’m hearing from a friend in a discord server that some GameStops have an ad saying 100 fighters or something, and that some clerks reinforced it to them

Wait for real? Where was this?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hey so uh

I wouldn't put any stock in that at all. Something like that wouldn't have even gotten out to a random clerk, never mind confirmed by several of them.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Hey so uh

"I'm kinda hoping that you aren't expecting too many new challengers"
Oh Sakurai, you cheeky Little Liar

Seriously though, I kinda doubt it imo

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Incineroar: I've come to like his design, and him being a "heel" Pokemon :p
Ken: okay.
Geno: I haven't played SMRPG yet, but I like his character and design :)
Steve: YesssSSSSSsssss. (but Banjo-Kazooie too pls)
Shadow: okay.
Celica: okay.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Hey so uh

You lads ready for 32 character reveals over the next two months!?

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
The "exciting news" for Minecon is they will be moving Minecraft: Story Mode to another studio so it can continue. Because everyone wants that.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Hey so uh

I remember seeing a mock-up boxart at GameStop that said something along those lines.

But that was before the game was revealed as Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and it had Shovel Knight on the cover.

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
Congratulations on 5002 pages! I was here during 100 pages O.O

But can’t wait to see more adventures of us talking about more Smash till launch and DLC.

By the way, what’s you guys favorite stage remake so far in Ultimate? Now with 103 stages there’s a lot of good ones here.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My friend now said the “100 characters” is PROBABLY counting Assist Trophies, so...

They’ll try to verify it whenever they can

Untouch

Smash Master
With how Sakurai said that 3 characters in 2 months was "a bit overboard", I very highly doubt we're getting more than 2 unique characters in the same timespan.
Echos are a different story but we'll have to see I guess.
I still personally think the box theory is right but I'm just trying to keep my expectations in check.

Jchrono95

Smash Apprentice
I mean, I can maybe see nintendo announcing 100 as an end of dlc goal. I would be completely and utterly shocked if 100 was for the base

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Hey so uh

I think if it was an ad that was inadvertently out in the public the internet would be ablaze by now--said person would have certainly taken a photograph if they saw it.

That's not even getting into the implausibility of announcing 30 characters in 2 months. I'm optimistic that if we count Mii Fighters and Pokemon Trainer separately, we're at 74 character, with the base game we could have 80, and through extended DLC with tons of echos--it isn't *impossible* to reach 100. But not in the base game. Would love to be proven wrong with evidence, though.

EDIT: If counting assist trophies, aren't we kinda there? He said over 50 assists, and we're at 70 characters now.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Now, this is operating under the assumption that these are realistic decisions and not my own pipe dreams. Course, I am HELLA BIASED so deal with it.

-3 Nintendo newcomers,
Isaac (Golden Sun), BWD (Kirby), Rex & Pyra (Xenoblade Chronicles)

Isaac and BWD have been long, LONG requested with many fan requests and has remained a consistent want for a dozen years now while Rex and Pyra have been recent mega-hits and a representative of the continuation of a large-scale franchise which Nintendo could not possibly overlook. From a popularity and advertising standpoint, Rex and Pyra are a no-brainer.
-3 3rd party,
Jack Frost (Atlus), Ryu Hayabusa (Koei Tecmo), Doom Slayer (DOOM)

All these 3rd parties have had a large amount of historical significance to Nintendo and in gaming as a whole. At the same time, they're the faces of their own respective genres and would be recognizable to most people who are even somewhat aware of videogames. As an aside, all of them have recent games headed over to Switch, also making it a prime advertisement opportunity. As much as I'd prefer an actual protagonist over Jack Frost, there's no denying he's far more recognizable, which is also the only reason I think Nintendo would pick him over Erdrick from Dragon Quest while Slime has a bit less to work with in terms of moveset potential due to needing to draw from variants to be unique.
-3 upgraded assists
Lyn (Fire Emblem), Bomberman (Bomberman), Waluigi (Mario)

All three have had an extremely large amount of fan-requests over the years, on top of being parts of still relevant franchises, with one in particular causing a large influx of jokes with his deconfirmation. Considering none of them are lacking for moveset potential, it wouldn't be so difficult to create a unique moveset as well. if any assist trophies in particular were getting cut and re-added as fighters, I'd find it hard to see any other assist trophies being as most likely for a DLC upgrade.
- 3 echo fighters
Octoling (Splatoon), Shadow (Sonic), Medusa (Kid Icarus).

Shadow and Octoling serve as both rival characters and as villains, mimicking the player character's abilities, albeit with a different visual flair, a relatively easy way to make them lazy echoes. Shadow would have to give up his chaos abilities and guns, but echoes don't exactly adhere to lore to begin with. Medusa I see happening because Sakurai Bias but also because she's played a major role both in the retro game and in the reboot while having similar proportions and weaponry as Palutena except with a unique appearance and visual flair. (Except for the shield, but they could easily just make it a dark shield or something)

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Celica Better be a Robin echo.... But yeah, I'd love this roster...
Fire Emblem having 3 echo fighters would be the epitome of what's wrong with the series pattern of protagonists (it already is with 2 echo fighters, one of which is built of a semi clone of the character the other echo fighter is based off of ...)

Also why would Game Stop have the info about 100 characters, let alone some random clerks being in the know? Answer that and we could discuss it seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom