• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I personally loved Sun and Moon, I even liked Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, but when it comes to Let's Go i'm really not feeling it.

I know what they're trying to do and i'm willing to give it a try, but I can already see it being my least favorite Pokemon game.
I can only hope Gen 8 really is for the fans like they keep saying it will be, because Let's Go looks really bad.

HOLY 5000 PAGES!!!
IT HAS BEEN A LOVELY HYPE TRAIN RIDE SO FAR! HERE'S TO ANOTHER THOUSAND PAGES ARGUING ABOUT A VIDEO GAME!!

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
At page 1000, we were in the middle of that gap between the reveal and E3
At page 2000, we were hot off the coattails of E3, talking about what Ultimate had to offer and could offer
At page 3000, we were still hyped about everything shown in the Smash Direct
At page 4000, we were all in chaos about the direct being delayed

And now, at page 5000....wait how did we get here in 3 weeks?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Wow, 5K pages!

I checked Nintendo's Twitter and it didn't say anything about Minecon. Should we take that as a sign nothing of not will be there or do we wait?
I'm just assuming there won't be any "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Minecraft" until the next Smash direct. No matter how much I want it to be tomorrow.

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
The Black Hole item may not be labled as a Kid Icarus item, but it's very clearly taken from the Black Hole power from Uprising. It functions exactly the same way.

It'd really help if they made it more clear that the Exp is supposed to be used as a difficulty setting. SM has a number of challenging moments if you keep it turned off.

Although I don't understand what's so difficult about them putting a difficulty setting in the menu instead. Because it breaks immersion or something?
Even when I turned off exp share in OR, I beat it no problem doing a wonderlocke. A WONDERLOCKE. Let that sink in

Difficulty settings would be amazing but Game Freak frankly is one of the "safest" developers around. They know they don't have to innovate much for millions of people to buy their games with almost no question, so why should they? And no, making new pokemon is not "innovation;" I'm talking gameplay mechanics. I think the extra development time needed for difficulty modes is too much for them; they'd rather just keep making one easy base game.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
At page 1000, we were in the middle of that gap between the reveal and E3
At page 2000, we were hot off the coattails of E3, talking about what Ultimate had to offer and could offer
At page 3000, we were still hyped about everything shown in the Smash Direct
At page 4000, we were all in chaos about the direct being delayed

And now, at page 5000....wait how did we get here in 3 weeks?

6000: We'll be 1.5 months away from release
7000: A leak creates mass hysteria of salt and joy.
8000: the game still has two weeks before release
9000: game releases, DLC talk immediately begins.

D

Deleted member

I think people largely hate gen 6 because it was braindead easy. I think it's a combination of older players naturally being better at beating a game and the base games themselves being easier. X was easy but I loved its aesthetic and atmosphere. OR was so incredibly boringly easy to me, though; absolutely the worst remake. And that comes from a Gen 3 fan.

Pokemon games across the board have absolutely no sense of challenge any more. Even USUM, which was a bit more difficult than Sun and Moon, was a largely painless experience for me san Ultra Necrozma, which I ended up cheesing through anyway. I really hope 2019 makes things more exciting and a bit more challenging to go through instead of constantly catering to little kids. Sure little kids play the games, but that doesn't mean making the entire experience boring for everyone.
Granted, it's not like it was the first generation to do so, but X & Y's storytelling was so ham-fisted. You start out wandering around with a bunch of people who have different goals in life as Trainers, and suddenly, you're having to learn about ancient history, superweapons, and even genocide on a global scale in a game where you're just running around grabbing creatures and battling them to make the best team possible. Also, both X&Y as well as the Sun/Moon/US/UM games had so little to do after the end of the main story. Heck, the only thing I liked from X&Y (besides Emma) was the Battle Chateau (or whatever it is because I'm always confusing them) which fulfilled my wish of having randomized battles that helped you get experience!

As far as I'm concerned, I'd be fine if Pokémon split into two different categories; Let's Go being the games catering to casual fans and children, and a more difficult version for serious gamers. It may not sound fair and would be taxing from a developmental standpoint, but if you wanna serve two masters, that
's something that you need to look into. I'd also would prefer that Let's Go be less expensive (around $50), because paying $60 for a stripped-down asset that's designed mostly to enhance the Go experience is nuts.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Wow, 5K pages!

I checked Nintendo's Twitter and it didn't say anything about Minecon. Should we take that as a sign nothing of not will be there or do we wait?
I don't know... While we all brush aside the fact of Steve being announced at Minecon, It's worth noting that Nintendo and Miyamoto Appeared out of Nowhere at Ubisoft's Press Conference... So... It's definitely possible

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
6000: We'll be 1.5 months away from release
7000: A leak creates mass hysteria of salt and joy.
8000: the game still has two weeks before release
9000: game releases, DLC talk immediately begins.
This will (sadly) be more than likely accurate.

Chrono.

I'm almost sure whatever announcement Minecon has might be related to Sony enabling crossplay with Ninty and MS.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I honestly think that by the time this game comes out, the thread will close and we'll migrate to a new one. I remember in the days of old where going past a certain number in the thousands meant Crashboards, but maybe times have changed IDK.

I'm almost sure whatever announcement Minecon has might be related to Sony enabling crossplay with Ninty and MS.
"Now Sony can kiss your ass for saying they're too good for you."

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Oh that's right, I forgot about the Ubisoft conference.

We'll just have to wait and see then.

The main reason I'm not getting Let's Go is because it just looks like Pokemon Go but on the Switch, and it is looking more and more to just be an expensive Go accessory in the end. Unless they show off something insanely awesome with the game I have no reason to buy Pokemon Go Switch version. :p

D

Deleted member

And Sony's gonna present it as "Oh... we're doing it because we HAVE to! Philistines!"

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Wow, 5K pages!

If Nintendo's twitter did tweeted about minecon related, and that'll be our first clue about nintendo at minecon or if new tag on fighter was removed which means we're getting next fighters announcement soon. For time being, new tag is still there. I give it at least one more week or few weeks to have it removed.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Even when I turned off exp share in OR, I beat it no problem doing a wonderlocke. A WONDERLOCKE. Let that sink in
I'd hate to say it, but what ruins Nuzloches is usually RNG or a refusal to spend enough time grinding, not actual difficulty itself. Smeargle, Totem Wishiwashi and Totem Mimikyu all gave me a run for my money when I first played SM blind and I don't consider myself all that bad at video games, I just don't like to grind. But difficulty often comes down to team composition anyway, so everyone has different experiences with it anyway. Ultra Necrozma is wildly agreed to be the "nuzloche killer" but it's a laughing stock if you're lucky enough to get a Zorua.
Difficulty settings would be amazing but Game Freak frankly is one of the "safest" developers around. They know they don't have to innovate much for millions of people to buy their games with almost no question, so why should they? And no, making new pokemon is not "innovation;" I'm talking gameplay mechanics. I think the extra development time needed for difficulty modes is too much for them; they'd rather just keep making one easy base game.
I honestly won't disagree with that, but I think Sun and Moon were definitely a step in the right direction, changing more about their formula then previous games had before. I also think part of what's holding back their "gameplay mechanic innovation" is their assistance on connectivity with previous games.

That said, I won't bother defending Pokemon Let's Go at all. I'm not even buying that game. It's one step forward and twenty steps backwards imo.

Noipoi

Howdy!
As far as I'm concerned, I'd be fine if Pokémon split into two different categories; Let's Go being the games catering to casual fans and children, and a more difficult version for serious gamers.
If this is Gamefreak's plan, and Gen 8 is as good as HG/SS and Gen 5 at least, i'l take back all the crap I said about Let's Go. And trust me, i've said a lot of crap.

Even though I don't like it, if Let's Go existing means the main series gets to break out of it's casual chains i'll welcome it with open arms.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Greg Chun’s Ike sounds much better than Jason’s, and the bits we’ve heard of Simon are good too. Think it’s Keith Silverstein voicing him again.

Mike West’s new lines for Fox...I can’t decide if they’re better or worse. He’s clearly gotten much more comfortable in the role thanks to Zero and Starlink, but I’m still iffy on his Smash performance.

I’m not sure if Jun Mizuzawa is still here as Zelda, but if that is her my god her voice got way higher. I mean it’s appropriate given the new design, but wow. Takashi Nagasako’s Ganondorf is a fun listen, though my ears are still readjusting after hearing Hironori Miyata for the last ten years.

I do hope if Shadow makes it in Kirk Thornton records new lines so we don’t have a repeat of the cobbled Roger performance Sonic’s been stuck with again.
It's weird, but I kind of wish Nintendo kept Jason's voice clips for Radiant Dawn Ike while Greg voiced Path of Radiance Ike.

As for Princess Zelda... unless I'm mistaken, I think she's being voiced by Yu Shimamura (who I believe seems to be the "primary" Zelda voice of the late 2000s, whereas Jun Misuzawa was the 'primary Zelda' of the 90s and early 2000's).

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
As long as GameFreak never brings back HMs, I'm set. Let's Go doesn't have any so Gen 8 better not.

And my Sinnoh remakes were delayed for Let's Go's release...

but i get the last laugh as i get to relive my childhood through the switch...

D

Deleted member

........I'm gonna be honest fam I could totally see Steve being announced at Minecon live thing. It's an hour and a half show
I'm saying this as a guy who played Minecraft and barely made anything because I couldn't creatively make anything that wasn't boxy, but what new content is there to discuss for 90 minutes... besides you know what?

Noipoi

Howdy!
As long as GameFreak never brings back HMs, I'm set. Let's Go doesn't have any so Gen 8 better not.

And my Sinnoh remakes were delayed for Let's Go's release...

but i get the last laugh as i get to relive my childhood through the switch...
It's better this way.
If Gen 8 truly is bigger and better than the games before it in every way, then the Sinnoh remakes will be amazing as well!

i'm a Sinnoh baby too. Sinnoh and Unova were my firsts.

Last edited:

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
If these would be all the newcomers for the baseroster eventually, I'd possibly not survive lol. This would be perfect in my eyes (and Banjo for DLC) and I feel like it would satisfy a lot of people.. especially loud fanbases like Geno, Bandana Dee, and Shadow. However getting 8 more characters is ambitious, it seems, I know that. But it's nice to envision it ^_^

Pic credits to my friend, Charm.

You forgot to add Isabelle and Simon.

Chrono.

Gen V only became great to me with BW2.

Even though it had a slightly weaker main campaign in terms of story and characters than the first game, the content was otherwise top notch and the post game was massive.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
It's better this way.
If Gen 8 truly is bigger and better than the games before it in every way, then the Sinnoh remakes will be amazing as well!

i'm a Sinnoh baby too. Sinnoh and Unova were my firsts.
I had dreams of seeing Sinnoh remakes and looking at my Mega Torterra before they dropped Megas in the immediate next generation. But if Gamefreak figures out a way to transfer my team from 3DS to the Switch, I'll settle at looking at my original Torterra from Platinum in glorious Switch graphics.

Polan

Smash Lord
5000 pages of hot takes, flame wars and wrongness. here's to 5000 more. also i wouldn't really expect anything at minecon. feels a bit too soon for a character. maybe the fabled minecraft content that verge leaked could be announced but i still seriously doubt it.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Anyone seen this tweet yet?

Because if not:

Newcomers: Edelgard, Isaac, Skull Kid
3rd Party: Rayman, Kyo Kusanagi, Master Chief
Upgraded Assists: Lyn, Knuckles, Bomberman
Echo Fighters: Octoling, Felix, Phoenix (F-Zero)

Newcomers: Medusa
3rd Party: Monster Hunter
Upgraded Assists: Phosphora (if this means Phosphora becomes playable, then this spot. If not, then I'll put her to Newcomers)
Echo Fighters: I don't have interest in them, or at least I can't think of any

It also asks who you expect and why so well... Using spoiler to condense space while still giving my reasons why.

For Medusa, I've grown to want Medusa a lot more. She's the missing original trio of KI characters, where the other 2 are Pit and Palutena. She's a villain, a female villain at that, could be the first one ever in Smash (Dark Samus isn't a "she", it's more of an entity or manifestation of something, so it don't count). I'm certain she can be unique enough to not be an echo of Palutena if we look at her various moves from her KIU boss battle, featuring attacks from her eyes, poison from her hand, maybe something with her snake hair (though I would want costumes of her having black hair as a reference to her Medusa's Revenge incarnation, prior to being turned into a monster), nail claws, and more, which could make her very different from Palutena herself. I wouldn't be disappointed if she was an echo in a way though as long as she has many unique moves.

The 3rd party member has to be Monster Hunter for me. I mean we got the Rathalos as both a boss and Assist Trophy, where it was shown on the A. Steppe map from MonHun, too. At the same time, there were Rathian/Rathalos Mii costumes back in Smash 4, so surely they could do something to bring in Monster Hunter, well, pretty much the Hunter, to us. MvCi did it, but I'm sure Smash can do it better, including giving us 4 male and female outfits and different voices to choose from as a reference to customizing your own hunter. I really would want to see this work. Bonus points if I can use the Kirin Armor. <3

For Phosphora, let's just say I have KI bias. We've seen her fight, and she has plenty of potential based on what we've seen and know alone from her Boss Battle, or well, the whole chapter dedicated to her. Fast, aggressive, but could get weaker overtime from releasing so much electricity unless she recharges (which will be a move). She'd also be a suitable choice to bring one of the Forces of Nature members (I don't count Dark Pit) to be playable as Viridi is already in the background of the Reset Bomb Forest stage, and the most capable of Nature members.
To add to this, the fact that she suddenly disappeared as an Assist Trophy in Ultimate, I think, as well as the disappearance of many other Kid Icarus things, does seem suspicious. Like with Little Mac and Dark Samus, I'm hoping that Phosphora will be another Assist Trophy to be promoted into a playable character.

Unfortunately I don't really generally care or have interest for many other characters at all, and can't list others besides what I listed. These are the 3 that I actively support, but do try to give fair reasoning and such to back up my support.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Newcomers: Medusa

For Medusa, I've grown to want Medusa a lot more. She's the missing original trio of KI characters, where the other 2 are Pit and Palutena. She's a villain, a female villain at that, could be the first one ever in Smash (Dark Samus isn't a "she", it's more of an entity or manifestation of something, so it don't count). I'm certain she can be unique enough to not be an echo of Palutena if we look at her various moves from her KIU boss battle, featuring attacks from her eyes, poison from her hand, maybe something with her snake hair (though I would want costumes of her having black hair as a reference to her Medusa's Revenge incarnation, prior to being turned into a monster), nail claws, and more, which could make her very different from Palutena herself. I wouldn't be disappointed if she was an echo in a way though as long as she has many unique moves.
Amen to that.

On top of that. It'd balance the Kid Icarus roster perfectly. Two unique fighters, two echo fighters. Two lights, two darks combined with the fact too Medusa had been in both Kid Icarus games and a history with Pit and Palutena as well.

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
I'm 100% fine with Ken and Incineroar and can stomach Steve as long as Shadow makes base roster and Bandana Dee/Geno are DLC

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
I'm saying this as a guy who played Minecraft and barely made anything because I couldn't creatively make anything that wasn't boxy, but what new content is there to discuss for 90 minutes... besides you know what?
I'm a very passive minecraft player, but I'd say some cool new update and... and... not sure besides that I kinda want to watch out of curiosity

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Amen to that.

On top of that. It'd balance the Kid Icarus roster perfectly. Two unique fighters, two echo fighters. Two lights, two darks combined with the fact too Medusa had been in both Kid Icarus games and a history with Pit and Palutena as well.
Lol
But, seriously Medusa is on my want list.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
She was though in the first game as the main antagonist. Sure it was at the end but still counts as an appearance.

Edit: Looked it up. There was apparently a GBC game. My bad still my point stands about why she should be chosen over the other characters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom