• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I wish his goal was more complex rather then 'Lol overpopulation' something that's been done already. Seriously 10 years of building up to Thanos and that's the best the MCU can come up with?
Pffft, simple is sometimes better than "I need to impress this chick that I've fallen in love with in my youth by killing people but she keeps friendzoning me so I have to keep killing more people wait what do you mean she was a figment of my imagination this whole time": the story of Thanos the Insane.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I wish his goal was more complex rather then 'Lol overpopulation' something that's been done already. Seriously 10 years of building up to Thanos and that's the best the MCU can come up with?

Only way they could make that more unique is that a post-credits in Avengers 4 reveals Galactus and Thanos' reason for trying to kill off half of all life is so those wouldn't had suffered the same fate as his planet and people did.
Such simplicity was worth the wait, having to watch everything he did for some twisted plan was well done (except for the best hero having to die)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Pffft, simple is sometimes better than "I need to impress this chick that I've fallen in love with by killing people but she keeps friendzoning me so I have to keep killing more people wait what do you mean she was a figment of my imagination this whole time": the story.
To me it isn't because if overused cliches keep being used people especially me know how its gonna be or how it ends. I especially hate the misunderstanding cliche especially the lover walking in on the other who looks like he or she is cheating on him or her but really isn't. Can't tell how tell you how much I've seen that crap in fiction.

That's also not getting started with the liar reveal, twist villain (Disney and Pixar have especially been at that lately) and pre-climax argument especially in animated movies. How about doing something different for once you can make it work without having to resort to those tropes because Disney and Pixar films especially have simply been recycling the same things such as characters and tropes over and over again recently.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
76 more days to go.

They say Avengers: Infinity War is the crossover of all time. Well they haven't seen Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Am I the only one who sees this game as the Infinity War of games?
In the event that Ultimate gets a story, I'd pretty much want it to be 'Smash meets Infinity War'. I know, pretty sadistic...

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Here's some things I like about SM;

Totem Pokemon were something I wanted to see happen to pokemon for a long time. They felt like proper boss fights and were sometimes actually rather challenging and intense. Of course, we still had Kahuna's for the gold old fashioned gym leader experience, and they were threatening in their own right thanks to z-moves.

Wild pokemon encounters actually felt threatening. They appear at higher levels compared to previous games and SOS battles could make a seemingly harmless pokemon turn out to be quite dangerous. Although it is an issue that wild encounters were often actually more dangerous then the Trainers who only used one pokemon each at the same level as the wild ones but with no SOS mechanics.

Ride Pokemon are so, so much better then HMs. But that's a given.

Gym puzzles have always been kind of odd. If you were clever enough you could just avoid some gym trainers altogether, but that's actually a bad idea since it means you miss out on exp and money. By not letting you leave to go heal during a trial, you're actually given incentive to avoid combat altogether. In some trials, like the fire trial, you aren't even given a chance to heal with potions in between encounters.

A lot of the story and lore was just neat. Type: Null being created to fight the UBs, UBs existing in general, the Tapu being guardian deities. It all felt connected. We may have all seen the "twist villain" coming but she and Guzma are definitely some of Pokemon's better villains over the years until USUM came and rewrote one of them. The implication that she was driven mad by Nihilego's neurotoxin is another great example of the UB tying the game's lore together.
That being said, those games were huge wasted potential, especially in Ultra. Ultra was so goddamn lazy and was pretty much $40 DLC that changed very very little from vanilla Sun and Moon. The extremely overbearing hand holding and 69,000 longass cutscenes didn't help either.

Overall, I enjoyed Sun and Moon/Ultra but they definitely had a lot of problems that people legitimately gripe about.
Now that I think about it, I don't think I remember seeing as many people complain about SM until USUM came along. I guess that having to sit through that same story a second time without the ability to skip cutscenes made people look back at SM's story in a negative light.

As an huge defender of SM, I'll agree that USUM was a huge disappointment. I fell like the handholding is overstated though, it's only bad in the opening bit and just feels like it's holding your hand later because the game is already so linear and story driven to begin with.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
How would he be afraid of that after giving Palutena fifty moves and Dark Pit a character slot.
Kid Icarus is his stepchild while Kirby is his baby (that last one alone doesn’t help hide any sort of “bias”)

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Okay, I have one of my questions of the day. Of all the characters who have actually revealed their voices, which one do you think has the best/worst voice acting?
Greg Chun’s Ike sounds much better than Jason’s, and the bits we’ve heard of Simon are good too. Think it’s Keith Silverstein voicing him again.

Mike West’s new lines for Fox...I can’t decide if they’re better or worse. He’s clearly gotten much more comfortable in the role thanks to Zero and Starlink, but I’m still iffy on his Smash performance.

I’m not sure if Jun Mizuzawa is still here as Zelda, but if that is her my god her voice got way higher. I mean it’s appropriate given the new design, but wow. Takashi Nagasako’s Ganondorf is a fun listen, though my ears are still readjusting after hearing Hironori Miyata for the last ten years.

I do hope if Shadow makes it in Kirk Thornton records new lines so we don’t have a repeat of the cobbled Roger performance Sonic’s been stuck with again.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Anyone seen this tweet yet?

Because if not:

Newcomers: Edelgard, Isaac, Skull Kid
3rd Party: Rayman, Kyo Kusanagi, Master Chief
Upgraded Assists: Lyn, Knuckles, Bomberman
Echo Fighters: Octoling, Felix, Phoenix (F-Zero)

monadoboy

Smash Lord
It seems we could have gotten a Guitarist Rosalina in Super Mario Odyssey based on the same artbook that contains Nintendo's concepts on Bowser possessing Peach with his own version of Cappy:

https://twitter.com/AllGamesDelta_/status/1045733109243744256

Would love to see this as an alternate costume in Ultimate for her, as unlikely as it might be. It's quite a chill design for her, and I appreciate it for its simplicity.
Shame guitarist Rosa never came to be, that would be so cool.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Okay, I have one of my questions of the day. Of all the characters who have actually revealed their voices, which one do you think has the best/worst voice acting?
Yuri Lowental Marth. Such a good (and needed) change.

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199

Because if not:

Newcomers: Rex and Pyra, Gen 8 pokemon, and Isaac
3rd Party: Banjo & Koozie, Heihachi, Master Chief
Upgraded assists: Waluigi, Alacrud, Bomberman
EF: Black Knight from FE, Jin Kazama, Black Shadow

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
How would he be afraid of that after giving Palutena fifty moves and Dark Pit a character slot.
That's what I mean... After Dark Pit, he's probably scared to put any more KI or Kirby Representation in this game...
Minecon is tomorrow.
Do you all think we will be getting a Smash reveal?
Nah... I used to... But now after what Sakurai said, I kinda Doubt it... I'm gonna watch it anyways... (because I at least hope they show a trailer for the Minecraft movie coming out in May...)
I am Still mad that they changed Ike's voice. It was funny and memetic. Why change it?

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Newcomers: Rex and Pyra, Gen 8 pokemon, and Banjo & Koozie
3rd Party: Doomguy, Heihachi, Master Chief
Upgraded assists: Waluigi, Alacrud, Bomberman
EF: Black Knight from FE, Jin Kazama, Black Shadow
Did you just put Banjo Kazooie on the 1st party group

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I am Still mad that they changed Ike's voice. It was funny and memetic. Why change it?
So that it's more accurate to how he's currently representated in Fire Emblem. Besides, Ike isn't meant to be a funny character.
That's what I mean... After Dark Pit, he's probably scared to put any more KI or Kirby Represntation in this gmae...
Well, the new Black Hole and Staff items come from Kid Icarus. But I still can see him being afraid to add more characters.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Because if not:

Nintendo Newcomers: Rhythm Heaven Rep, Bandanna Waddle Dee, Ayumi Tachibana
3rd Party: Steve, Segata Sanshiro, Phoenix Wright
Upgraded Assists: Ashley, Sukapon, Takamaru
Echo Fighters: Octoling, Roll (Mega Man), Funky Kong
So that it's more accurate to how he's currently representated in Fire Emblem. Besides, Ike isn't meant to be a funny character.
That's why it was so funny. I'm a fan of ironic things.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Pit...one new line revealed was all he needed, followed by Marth
That's what I mean... After Dark Pit, he's probably scared to put any more KI or Kirby Representation in this game...
Kid Icarus will be fine with some extra songs/trophies/enemies and an echo, but Kirby can definitely get a 4th original character
Well, the new Black Hole and Staff items come from Kid Icarus. But I still can see him being afraid to add more characters.
This Black Hole isn’t Kid Icarus related, and an echo or semi clone at best will be given to them[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

SM did a lot of things right and I wish them to expand on some new mechanics like the proper boss fights that were Totem Pokemon, as they were something I had wanted ever since I got into the Pokemon games; and Trials as a whole, they're either hit or miss imo, some are great like the Normal, Grass and Ghost ones but the Water, Fire and Electric ones, while fun, are really not that interesting mechanically. And we don't talk about the Dragon Trial.
Kahunas were an improvement from Gym Leaders too, it seemed like they exchanged quantity for quality and it shows, good god, I have never been so scared in a Nuzlocke ever since Clair and the Johto E4, Z-Moves are some scary **** that need to be dealt with quickly and their other Pokemon aren't slackers either, they all felt like actual threats.
The E4 was handled well for the most part but I felt like two Kahunas felt really samey, I know they changed one of them in USUM but they really should have gone for just Hala as he was an early challenge recontextualized, Acerola as the "familiar face, unfamiliar battle", the golf chick for the complete stranger and whiever was in USUM.
The Champion fight was one of the best though, a great step up after the disappointment that Diantha was. Kukui was a nice throwback to the scrapped Oak fight and the fact I managed to experience it unspoiled only made it even better. I like that they gave Hau some spotlight in USUM but I feel the Kukui fight works much better as you're not at all familiar with his team and the fact he uses the other starter was the best part of it all.
I also appreciate the focus on story-telling, though it did have its issues which I'll talk about now.

So, what did it do wrong? New mechanics weren't as well developed. Z-Moves are fine imo, much better than Megas for the main game.
As I said, Trials needed to be explored more, only 3 of them really felt fun and unique.
Only Totem Pokemon I need didn't quite work were Salazzle and Vikavolt as they didn't take advantage of their supports and the former's thin paper defense don't translate well into a boss fight.
And speaking of support Pokemon... **** SOS Battles, they're not fun at all, they ruin the pace of wild encounters and make catching Pokemon much harder than they should be. It'd be fine if it was a rare occurence like Horde Battles or if they were only in specific places such as Dark Grass but this is just a step down compared to those. Just bring Dark Grass back guys, Gen 5 was good.
And the story, uhm, yeah, I liked it but the whole UB thing felt forced, if it were just Nihilego, fine, but the game and promotional material set the UBs up as bosses much like Totem Pokemon so I thought there was going to be a point where you go fight them but instead the subplot is forgotten as soon as it's brought up. Type:Null and Gladion are also really underused but aside from that, I liked the more personal drama rather than "evil team bad and wants to destroy the whole world" thing that had gotten tiring especially after XY asked me to take Team Flare seriously. And yeah, Team Skull are jut pure fun, second best Evil Team imo though I still prefer Plasmaaaaaaaa.

USUM ruins every character related to Lusamine and we don't talk about it though the Ultra Necrozma battle sounds hype as a Nuzlocke enthusiast and I'd love to play it just for that.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Maybe if lucky they'll at most announce the date for the next Smash Direct but even then I'm doubtful of that.
Why would you post news about something completely unrelated to the series you're focusing on? Steve in Smash could be shown if it was even possible, but posting the date of the Smash Direct on there is just a terrible idea.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
We still need goemon. He should be the 3rd konami rep.

We need him. And for merch for the series. I would love a goemon amiibo

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
What about this one guys?
Remember when the Sakurai tweeting that he had tired eyes just HAD to mean something? You're doing that all over again. It could be literally anything, but you pick tunnel vision and means it HAS to be Smash, HAS to be.

dezeray112

Smash Hero

Because if not:

Newcomers: Springman, Edelgard, Rex & Pyra.
3rd Party: Heihachi Mishima, Terry Bogard & Jade.
Upgraded Assists: Lyn, Takamaru, Bomberman.
Echo Fighters: Celica, Black Shadow & Octoling.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If anything Smash-related happens tomorrow, it's most-likely just gonna be a Direct announcement from Nintendo.

The Minecraft content may be announced in said direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom