• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
He's been brought up by Vergeben. He isn't 100% on it, but he has stated he's heard murmurs of it maybe being a thing.
Vergeben said that there may possibly be a Minecraft-based character in Smash
Could does not equal is. Vergeben has definitively stated Ken and Incineroar, not Steve.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Wasn't Guile's theme already confirmed to be getting a new remix in one of the Nintendo Power Podcasts?
Wait it has? show me a clip...
Well, it's real

I can't believe we're getting Ken and Steve from Minecraft in the same game. We're about to reach MUGEN-levels of playable characters in this game
I wouldn't call it MUGEN levels until Ronald McDonald is in

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If Steve is in the game and the SE character is Lara or Sora, then Sakurai really went all out on this roster.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around just how many legendary franchises we might be getting in this game.
I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai added the remaining Japanese gaming icons like Frogger, Heihachi, Layton, Ryu Hayabasa, Lloyd and Leon Kennedy for the base game. It's a possibility I have constantly thought about ever since Sakurai had that interview about there not being much worldwide popular Japanese franchises to represent left in a Nintendo Dream interview. Plus, with the amount of third-parties represented through ATs, characters, & bosses, I think we might be seeing more third-party newcomers than expected.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Well, it's real

I can't believe we're getting Ken and Steve from Minecraft in the same game. We're about to reach MUGEN-levels of playable characters in this game
I think we already hit MUGEN-levels when both Cloud and Bayonetta joined the roster in Smash 4.
Now with characters like Simon and Ken, not even mentioning some of the ATs, we definitely are already there.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Welp, even if the entire base roster is leaked at least most of the DLC will probably be safe. Ryu only got leaked last time because of a screw up on Nintendo's part, right?

Too bad they probably won't be getting CG trailers, but even Smash's non-CG ones are generally pretty fun. Roy taking out Roy Koopa and turning Falco into fried chicken made that reveal for me. And Corrin's delitefully cheesy reveal was easily in the "so bad its good" category.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
While "confirm" seems like a strong word in this case, the box "leak" heavily implied that, of the two new characters, one of them would be an echo of Ryu. (or one of seven other characters, but Ken as a Ryu echo makes a ton of sense)
This is fair... But I still don’t see it happening.

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
Thing is, there's too much in this picture that's hard to dismiss. And the things people _have_ tried ended up being inconsistencies, bugs, and fluid assets that are present in other SSBU pre-release media. It's pretty darn solid so far.
There were things in the ESRB that made people call it fake. A very very long list of inconsistencies that turned out to be true.

Like i said before, just because someone actually puts in effort does not mean that it should be taken as gospel.

I think people are so used to bad blurry leaks that when a new leak with effort comes out then it surprises them.

Chrono.

Welp, even if the entire base roster is leaked at least most of the DLC will probably be safe. Ryu only got leaked last time because of a screw up on Nintendo's part, right?

Too bad they probably won't be getting CG trailers, but even Smash's non-CG ones are generally pretty fun. Roy taking out Roy Koopa and turning Falco into fried chicken made that reveal for me.
Cloud never getting leaked was the best thing that could've happened lol.

I wasn't as hype for a character since Sonic in Brawl.

Untouch

Smash Master
Steve not being in the game and leakers only saying there's a "possibility" makes perfect sense to me.
Playtesters are usually tasked to test certain things, they don't have full access to the roster and don't have full access to the games. They are sat in a room and told to replicate a bug in a certain setting with certain characters. I know people who used to be playtesters, this is how it works.

There is a real possibility that playtesters were tasked on finding a bug on a minecraft stage or with a minecraft assist trophy, but nothing related to Steve. If I was a playtester that was asked to find a glitch on a minecraft stage and with a creeper AT, I would think that Steve is also in to complete the package. While this is safe assumption this isn't always true. Pilotwings has both a stage and an item.

To me it sounds like Vergeben hasn't been explicitly told that Steve is or isn't in the game because the playtesters also don't know. The fact that he's asked and still doesn't know is a bit sketchy to me though, but K Rool managed to slip under the radar, they could be keeping Steve very under wraps.

I personally don't think he's in but people have their opinions and won't change them so whatever.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I think people are kind caonfusing the leakers... dunoo if teh legit ken leaker said anything besides this leak... he certainly didn't said stev at least... i think he didnt said anyone else...

And we knew ken was coming from a mile away .

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
No credible leaker mentioned Steve.
Yes, one has, and they were backed up by Vergeben.

Also, hot take, but if this leaker is to be believed, and people's jobs are on the line if the Square Enix character is found out, then it's not Geno. Geno isn't a
large enough reveal to be kept this far under wraps. I'm willing to bet it's either Lara Croft, Sora, or maybe Erdrick.

My money goes to Sora though, because he had a good presence in the ballot (the entire Kingdom Hearts community rallied around him) and Kingdom Hearts is a massively popular series. Additionally, Sora would be such an out-of-left-field reveal as many think he's an impossible character due to Disney, so him being revealed would be a Bayonetta-level reveal.

If revealed alongside Steve or in the same Direct, I imagine Smash could very well break the internet.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Something that makes me trust Vergeben to the extent that I do is that he never tries to come off as this all-knowing oracle of Smash Bros.. He's made it clear that he doesn't know everything and only knows basic context regarding some things, and also often makes it clear he isn't batting 1000 on certain things he brings up. He just seems more credible than most for that alone.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I think people are kind caonfusing the leakers... dunoo if teh legit ken leaker said anything besides this leak... he certainly didn't said stev at least... i think he didnt said anyone else...

And we knew ken was coming from a mile away .
Are you talking about Verge?

He did say there would be Minecraft representation of some kind. And I believe the other day he and another leaker spoke with each other and both said we might be getting a fighter.

Untouch

Smash Master

Also, hot take, but if this leaker is to be believed, and people's jobs are on the line if the Square Enix character is found out, then it's not Geno. Geno isn't a
large enough reveal to be kept this far under wraps. I'm willing to bet it's either Lara Croft, Sora, or maybe Erdrick. My money goes to Sora though, because he had a good presence in the ballot (the entire Kingdom Hearts community rallied around him) and Kingdom Hearts is a massively popular series.
Sora to me would make sense seeing how large of a legal juggernaut Disney is.

Chrono.

Something that makes me trust Vergeben to the extent that I do is that he never tries to come off as this all-knowing oracle of Smash Bros.. He's made it clear that he doesn't know everything and only knows basic context regarding some things, and also often makes it clear he isn't batting 100
0 on certain things he brings up. He just seems more credible than most for that alone.
He's definitely grown a bit since his r/kappa leaky dump days lol.

RC-3197

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure when people are talking about steve they are referring to this leak:
A person with a supposedly accurate source claims a minecraft character
u/dasvergeben (vergeben's real reddit account) says he might be legit, and he has heard rumors of playable minecraft characters
The person confirms it is indeed playable Steve

Negotiations for Katalina from grandblue fantasy are underway *for DLC
This particular leak seems like it could go either way at this point. I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Nintendo Russia would be on GMT+4 at least.

GMT+2 could be any country in CEST (daylight savings time for most Western European countries including France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, Spain and Italy).
That would be Nintendo of Europe, which is located in Germany. They have limited operations in France as well, but Germany is what we'd be looking at here.

D

Deleted member

large enough reveal to be kept this far under wraps. I'm willing to bet it's either Lara Croft, Sora, or maybe Erdrick.

My money goes to Sora though, because he had a good presence in the ballot (the entire Kingdom Hearts community rallied around him) and Kingdom Hearts is a massively popular series. Additionally, Sora would be such an out-of-left-field reveal as many think he's an impossible character due to Disney, so him being revealed would be a Bayonetta-level reveal.

If revealed alongside Steve or in the same Direct, I imagine Smash could very well break the internet.
I'd think Sakurai would consider Geno big enough to keep him under wraps but I'll believe whatever says our SE is anyone other than him.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

large enough reveal to be kept this far under wraps. I'm willing to bet it's either Lara Croft, Sora, or maybe Erdrick. My money goes to Sora though, because he had a good presence in the ballot (the entire Kingdom Hearts community rallied around him) and Kingdom Hearts is a massively popular series.
I don't attribute someone's job being on the line as a sign that it can't be Geno or for sure is someone else. Square is a very sensitive company, so any information coming out of them is pretty risky with how closed-doored they can be. As well, EVERYONE risks their jobs giving out information like this. Perhaps this source in particular just feels that risk is too real, or got that info in a not-as-secluded way.

Besides, both leakers confirmed that they don't know who it is for sure yet. If it was a big deal, like Sora, I figure their other sources would have at least heard the same.

So if anything, I feel it's the opposite.

Last edited:

Polan

Smash Lord
the way the ken pic is posed makes me think it was either for promotional purposes or someone taking a pic with a specific set of characters to prove that they had access to the game. if its the latter maybe it was just intended to be seen by a small group of people until Leaky McLeakPerson over here posted it on 4chan.

Bandiheart

Smash Rookie
On this situation, I would personally like to throw my opinion into the ring. I believe that the Square character is going to be Sora. As much as I support Geno's inclusion, I must agree. Geno is just not popular enough compared to Sora to be able to be a character that people's jobs are on the line for in this situation.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai added the remaining Japanese gaming icons like Frogger, Heihachi, Layton, Ryu Hayabasa, Lloyd and Leon Kennedy for the base game.
And where is Sora? Dude's definitely an icon.

You're seriously underestimating him dude. He was top 5 finalist in the first Dengeki Smash poll (a very large Japanese fan poll) and wasn't allowed in the second one because he likely would've won again. Dude was also in the top 5 of another large Japanese fan poll of characters expected to be in Smash Bros. Kingdom Hearts is massive, and definitely has more overall presence than Frogger, Ninja Gaiden, and I'd even say Layton (mind you, overall presence means worldwide presence, so while Layton may have more Japanese presence, Kingdom Hearts has more worldwide presence).

RC-3197

Smash Apprentice
I don't attribute someone's job being on the line as a sign that it can't be Geno or for sure is someone else. Square is a very sensitive company, so any information coming out of them is pretty risky with how closed-doored they can be. As well, EVERYONE risks their jobs giving out information like this. Perhaps this source in particular just feels that risk is too real, or got that info in a not-as-secluded way.

Besides, both leakers confirmed that they don't know who it is for sure yet. If it was a big deal, like Sora, I figure their other sources would have at least heard the same.

So if anything, I feel it's the opposite.
IIRC cloud wasn't leaked, and my personal theory is that square enix being involved is the reason why this particular characters is such a secret.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
That would be Nintendo of Europe, which is located in Germany. They have limited operations in France as well, but Germany is what we'd be looking at here.
Very likely. I did some additional research and here are the countries in Europe that have Nintendo offices from roughly westernmost to easternmost: Portugal, Spain, UK, Ireland, France, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, Germany, Austria and Russia.

Of these, Portugal, UK and Ireland are GMT or GMT+1 depending on daylight savings. Russia has various time zones but Nintendo of Russia is based in Moscow, so the relevant time zone is GMT+3 as they do not observe daylight savings.

That leaves France, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, Germany and Austria, and they all observe GMT+1 or GMT+2 depending on daylight savings.

Of course, Germany is where the main Nintendo of Europe headquarters is located, but as you said, they do have operations in France, as the Nintendo of Europe Research and Development is based in Paris.

This leak very likely comes from either France or Germany, but it could be from the other European countries I've mentioned.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Damn, that’s a real Leak right there. But why does Ken look so UGLY!?! Please tell me they fixed it up already. It’s fine I’m happy Ken is still in though, but I wished we saw his Render.

Also, the roster is going to get leaked isn’t it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom