• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's true, viability is there most definitely.

Though in terms of personalty I just can't see it.
Personality was never an issue, as Decidueye has a well defined one in the games themselves. It puts on the facade of being the classic cool and cold sniper, but gets incredibly flustered if caught off guard, breaking the facade. That could also be incorporated into Smash by having its close-range ground moves not be very good, making it prone to ambush.

Plus I mean its bow strings are just the drawstrings of its hood. That alone kind of paints it as a dork disguised as a badass.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Leaker probably leaked Ken because they are in the know that everyone suspects him.

The Pokemon Rep and Square Rep as well as anyone else leave room for surprises and thus people might not believe them.

Even with all the evidence for this image I feel like you slapped say Geno or Steve or whoever in this image? There'd be far more people reaching to discredit it.

Remember Duck Hunt and how everyone tried to prove it wrong? People legit thought it was an altered Pluto from Disney. Like that might be why they leaked Ken and only Ken so far.
This is very plausible. If so, how would he link the Ken leak to any new character for validity though?

Pakky

Smash Hero
Personality was never an issue, as Decidueye has a well defined one in the games themselves. It puts on the facade of being the classic cool and cold sniper, but gets incredibly flustered if caught off guard, breaking the facade. That could also be incorporated into Smash by having its close-range ground moves not be very good, making it prone to ambush.

Plus I mean its bow strings are just the drawstrings of its hood. That alone kind of paints it as a dork disguised as a badass.
Well okay, to each their own.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
If memory serves, Shulk's splash art during his reveal in Smash 4 was a reference to previous leaks showing that he was playable.
I don't think Nintendo would ever acknowledge leaks, real or fake. Some people thought the name of Shulk's trailer ("It looks like we have no choice") was a reference to the leak when it was actually a reference to Xenoblade, from my understanding.

D

Deleted member

Three possibilities:
  • The leaker only had access to Ken
  • The leaker is getting a rise out of this and plans multiple escalating leaks
  • The leaker wanted a taste of the leaker life, without causing a full-on manhunt
Because this is a debug screenshot, I doubt the first possibility?
That's what I'm thinking. If this person has full debug access, why would Ken be the only thing they would get? I have a feeling we'll see more soon enough. My bet is the CSS will be next.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace

OMG Decidueye is basically me when I play an FPS :D

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I don't think Nintendo would ever acknowledge leaks, real or fake. Some people thought the name of Shulk's trailer ("It looks like we have no choice") was a reference to the leak when it was actually a reference to Xenoblade, from my understanding.
Yeah, it's a line Shulk says when targeting/getting targeted by an enemy who is stronger than your party/a much higher level than your party.
It's meant to reference that Smash has powerful foes.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
If he is a debugger or a palytester, this leaker was probably watched very closely by those in charge to insure no one was taking pictures or videos, meanimg we were very lucky just to see Ken. We may get a blowout this weekend, but this could be it and still be real while every other anon on /v/ claims to be 'Mr. Kennith Leeker' and brings their new "leak". Buckle up folks, whatevers happening is gonna be interestimg.

Oh, and Kens theme is bad ass, so I cant wait for the new remix.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
B I G M O O D

I honestly wonder what other songs they got besides this for him. With 36 songs there's a lot of possibilities.

Also if Guile and Sagat's themes aren't in I will be dissapoint.
Trust me, If Guile's theme doesn't get in, People will riot...

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
actually I am really extatic for the Ken leak. He's the Guy i want the most affter K Rool, so yeah....happy mood. :)

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
While we can assume this screenshot is real, I'm curious as to the circumstances behind its creation.

This isn't a marketing grunt or mailman who snapped a pic of some materials.

This was someone with full access to a debug build of the game, with the knowledge to use the debug tools to go into a screenshot posing mode and pose these 4 characters mid-taunt animation on Moray Towers. (Why? to prove it's not Smash 4? Why PAC-MAN then?)

Why pose the characters at all? Why leave the debug text on-screen?

The pool of people who could have leaked this is REALLY low, and they'd had to have known that. It's just bizzare.

(Contrast with the ESRB leak, which makes perfect sense as to how that could come about.)

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
If the person has a means of seeing the full CSS and shows it, I think this thread will melt down to an extent not yet seen.

cothero

Smash Lord
This prima leak is one the stupidest leaks i've ever seen in smash history. Vault Boy is a ridiculous choice and Black Shadow is as generic as he is boring, not to mention the assist trophies choices. Let's move on, people.

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
While we can assume this screenshot is real, I'm curious as to the circumstances behind its creation.

This was someone with full access to a debug build of the game, with the knowledge to use the debug tools to go into a screenshot posing mode and pose these 4 characters mid-taunt animation on Moray Towers. (Why? to prove it's not Smash 4? Why PAC-MAN then?)

The pool of people who could have leaked this is REALLY low, and they'd had to have known that. It's just bizzare.

(Contrast with the ESRB leak, which makes perfect sense as to how that could come about.)
I was thinking the same thing. It's extremely strange. It also makes me wonder if we really will get more from this person or if it was just a one-time thing.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
I dunno, it's hard to kick this one down.

I'm typically really hawkish about leaks, but darn if this isn't one of the most convincing ones to date. It's one thing to make a new model, but to then appropriately and consistently apply obscure graphical bugs that weren't common knowledge in said screenshot? If it is a fake, and if they're smart, they'll stop here. I doubt someone could keep this level of attention to detail up for very long.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
If the person has a means of seeing the full CSS and shows it, I think this thread will melt down to an extent not yet seen.
Nah, nobody will believe it, because Game and Watch's hand will be clipping into Wario's CSS box.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

Sakurai certainly won’t have a large list of potential homes to start the grease fire in that is for sure.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Do ESRB employees happen to have access to the debug mode...?

...though, they probably should have a newer build, so...

Unless a playtester somehow got a screenshot while the guys watching weren't looking, or somehow stole it...

I think this is most-likely real, I just won't say definitely because nothing online is ever definite, but it truly is odd.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The question is, if we see nothing else, why?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
While you're right, I don't think that Sakurai would ever walk back an authentic leak (I'm not saying that that's what you think he'll do, it's just implied in the realm of possibility) to be spiteful. If memory serves, Shulk's splash art during his reveal in Smash 4 was a reference to previous leaks showing that he was playable. If anything, an authentic leak like this Ken one would give us a pun in the splash art when he is revealed.

In a universe where Sakurai would be spiteful and punish the entire fanbase because of leakers though, it's interesting to think what kind of joke characters we'd get instead of the leaked ones. Like, what if we got Tumble from Mario Party 3 instead of Ridley? What if we got Sudowoodo instead of Ken? Scarfy instead of Simon Belmont? It's scary to think about but funny at the same time. Thankfully with the way game development works we don't have to worry about Sakurai scrapping entire characters just because they were leaked... or do we?
By confirmation, I was referring to confirming the character, rather than addressing the leak. I'm not sure what level of four dimensional chest Sakurai likes to play to spite leaks, but my guess is he'd rather not think about them unless he's forced to, and he'd much rather play with audience expectations. K Rool's in! loljk just Dedede. Nope, he's actually in! Or, new Animal Crossing! jk Isabelle's in Smash. Tom Nook in Smash? Psyche, it's Animal Crossing (though the latter is nebulous as it's less Sakurai, and more Nintendo).

Although my conspiracy theory is that there are characters used to track down specific leakers, and since none of Verge's main Smash sources know of Steve's play-ability, but the reddit leaker's source claims it, that that's the fake one to avoid leaking Banjo. Wishful thinking, but give me a week or more to dream. :p

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If we don't see anything else, It probably means that he (or she) got caught.
Keep an eye on the Japanese headlines.

If we see, "Game tester found stabbed to death with Galaxia replica" we'll know.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
B I G M O O D

I honestly wonder what other songs they got besides this for him. With 36 songs there's a lot of possibilities.

EDIT: I mean seriously, how could you NOT want this?

well.. i already got this so im happy :3

yeah,,, this intrigues me too ,it get even more weird if we assume is indeed a print, (but i'm not sure now) Considering that the only place you would print an image with debug data is on very internal documents :S...

I do have a slight theory that this leak may be on purpose to try to flush out a particular leaker.... after all, leaking ken after showing that box wasn't exactly the most "risky" leak,...

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
SUPER ROUGH SPECULATION HOT-TAKE: (please don't spread, just discuss)

The timezone on the timestamp in the image meta-data is +2. The only Nintendo branch this would match is the relatively new Nintendo Russia?

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
The question is, if we see nothing else, why?
Two big possibilities:

1) A faker got in over their head and realized they couldn't keep up with these very high quality fakes
2) They got caught, as it's a pretty small pool of people with both access to the debug menu and the knowledge of how to use it

The timezone on the timestamp in the image meta-data is +2. The only Nintendo branch this would match is the relatively new Nintendo Russia?
Either it's a fake and the faker is in Russia, someone's camera/phone is set to the wrong timezone, or this is a case like the ESRB leak where legitimate information is spread about among friends, who then share it to their friends, who then post it online.

Last edited:

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079

Unless a playtester somehow got a screenshot while the guys watching weren't looking, or somehow stole it...

I think this is most-likely real, I just won't say definitely because nothing online is ever definite, but it truly is odd.
ESRB employees never actually play the game they're given.
They just watch footage of the game and rate it off of the content showcased to them by the company.
So this dude had his hands on the game, he was probably a playtester or something like many others have said.
The ESRB leak was just an employee taking pictures of the screen they had to rate.

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
To be fair, you're right about Square being absolute pricks. We're talking about the same company that'll never re-release Final Fantasy VIII because they want to erase it from history lmao
they dont rerelease 8 because of licensing issues they have with the song eyes on me thats used in the game. rinoa was literally just released like 2 months ago in the new dissidia they dont wanna erase 8 lol

kylexv

Smash Master
The ESRB leak happened 25 days before Smash 3DS released.
If we get a roster leak tomorrow, it will be 76 days before launch. Oof.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
B I G M O O D

EDIT: I mean seriously, how could you NOT want this?

Guile's Theme is a must, in addition I am really hoping they bring in Chun-Li, Cammy and Sakura's Theme in there too.

Volodya

Smash Apprentice

Славься, Отечество наше свободное!

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961

ESRB doesn't play the games. They get sent prerecorded videos, which they use to rate the game. It's a good faith system where the devs send in what they believe to be the content most representative of the game and most likely to be problematic in the rating.

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
Only one picture posted and it was of Ken and 3 random vets.

Why not 4 different Kens doing different taunts(and showing different alt colors).

Why not Ken and another newcomer.

Why do we have to wait to see more pictures from him?

Guys don't believe just any picture leak, just because its not blurry and has effort put into it doesn't mean its real. Not saying its automatically fake but I'm not giving the guy attention until he actually does something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom