• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dandelionel

Smash Apprentice
It's not exactly obscure, it's one of the most successful mobile games of all time, spawned an anime, and will be getting a console game.

It's still big, but it's been over taken by other games as the biggest (either FGO or BanG Dream depending on metrics)
Wait Bang Dream is finally popular? Good, because I played a little bit of it and it was so polished that it was astounding. Too bad that I'm not into idol games.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
What's this I'm hearing about some mobile character getting leaked or something?
Some guy who Verge is backing up claims that Katalina, a character from a mobile game called Granblue Fantasy, is playable.
I mean, Simon, Ridley and King K Rool have been mostly for the west. I think it would compensate. Remember than in Japan Smash sells millions.
Sakurai is almost completely reluctant to add Japan-only characters. He had Ayumi Tachibana and Takamaru scrapped because they were Japan-only.

Shroob

Sup?
As someone who actually plays Granblue and can comment on it objectively.

My biggest question is: Why Katalina?

The player character is basically the main character of the game, Katalina is just your first party member.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And now we got people asking for Frogger...

The sad thing is, there's still going to be people that ignore all of that and just play on Final Destination with items turned off.

Seriously, guys, Melee was 17 years ago. You have to move on.

Finally, someone that gets it. They're certainly taking Mii costumes into account, so even Federation Force Marines as ATs wouldn't seem that random. How many promotions we'll have in this fashion is what we can wait and see for.

Seems fair, but I don't know if Ninty would acknowledge Telltale Games stuff.
Frogger is actually my second most wanted third party now, only after Crash.

Dandelionel

Smash Apprentice

The player character is basically the main character of the game, Katalina is just your first party member.
Personality I guess? I played only a little bit of Granblue but at least the main character seemed too generic. At least the male version, and that's sadly the default one. Although if I had to choose one myself I would choose the blue haired girl instead. Katalina would be okayish but like, she is an anime sword user.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I got my King K. Rool and Ridley. Anything else at this point is icing on cake though I still want Banjo-Kazooie, Black Shadow and Medusa but I'll still be satisfied with what I got.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wait what Katalina? Who?
480px-Katalina_B.png

"Lyria's bodyguard, and a girl with a mysterious past. She has let fly a banner of rebellion against the Empire, and is by turn Lyria's loyal retainer and her loving older sister. "

D

Deleted member

If we were talking of FGO, would you be arguing in favor of Saber/Artoria, or would you be arguing in favor of Ritsuka?

If we were talking of FEH, would you be arguing in favor of someone like Marth, or would you be arguing in favor of the Summoner?

Exactly.

Untouch

Smash Master
This granblue leak suffers from the same problems leakypandy's leak suffers from.
How would they get this info? Low level programmers and bug tests would not know what Nintendo's marketers are planning. They wouldn't know what business deals are going on between huge companies for obvious reasons.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
She's from a mobile game called Granblue Fantasy. Someone with the backing of Vergeben claims that she's in.
Pretty sure Verge is just backing up his Steve Claims...
We all know that the Granblue part is garbage

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
If we were talking of FGO, would you be arguing in favor of Saber/Artoria, or would you be arguing in favor of Ritsuka?

If we were talking of FEH, would you be arguing in favor of someone like Marth, or would you be arguing in favor of the Summoner?

Exactly.
I mean, to be fair.... Saber 'is' Fate.

I think the better comparison would be Lyria, since she's GBF's mascot.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well, if this rumor (not a leak, difference in wording yo) is true, then that would kills the box theory. Which i’d be fine with, despite me hating the idea of Steve in Smash. Probably the only character I would probably pick to crushinate every time I play.

That said, Verg simply said that some information overlaps between them. Some information doesn’t. We don’t know what information does or doesn’t overlap. Steve being playable doesn’t overlap, but an Assist Trophy or stage does.

Granted, I think the idea that one couldn’t determine what Minecraft content is in the game is...interesting. There’s a definite difference in stage or Assist Trophy.

It’ll be interesting though. I just want more specifics. :urg:

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Honestly I don't even care about K Rool and Ridley.
I got my squids. I got everyone else too. That's all I need.
now if I get a wrestler kitty and a wooden doll as well i'll be really happy

Dukemon

Smash Apprentice
Anyway it seems echoes may be immune to the music theory, we got Dark Samus months after a Metroid remix that came with Ridley
Yes, I would say Echoes do not count.
Ridley was announced and we have got a Metroid Remix. Dark Samus was announced but we have got no Metorid remix. I think this is why Deep of Brinstar remix was used as background music for the announcement of Dark Samus. Ridley had his Ridley Themesong, but it was not published on the website yet.
Daisy was announced during the E3 presentation, but the new Mario Remix was published three weeks ago.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Honestly I don't even care about K Rool and Ridley.
I got my squids. I got everyone else too. That's all I need.
now if I get a wrestler kitty and a wooden doll as well i'll be really happy
We have such a similar yet vastly different taste in newcomers.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yes, I would say Echoes do not count.
Ridley was announced and we have got a Metroid Remix. Dark Samus was announced but we have got no Metorid remix. I think this is why Deep of Brinstar remix was used as background music for the announcement of Dark Samus. Ridley had his Ridley Themesong, but it was not published on the website yet.
Daisy was announced during the E3 presentation, but the new Mario Remix was published three weeks ago.
Would the music theory be a load of hogwash if a single series got TWO tracks, too?

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

Maybe it's due to the fact that she seems to be the main focus for Project Re: Link (at least in terms of the gameplay/reveal trailer). The game is getting an English release (although it is on the PS4).

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Seeing the quotes

Why?

I thought he said Minecraft is getting presentation that’s not playable

And that the heck is granblue he’s going to loose points if he’s supporting someone for that

Oh by the way I never really understood this

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comm...ts_new_game_by_snk_just_announced_in/e69q1et/

Can someone tell me what’s significant about it that involves smash bros?
He never said what exactly its representation would be.

Just that Minecraft would be in the game in some capacity.

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
I really don't understand why they'd pick such an obscure character, what powers does she have? Does her game is considered a masterpiece? Or is it just to promote the game?

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
I personally think when Sakurai said that he believes, “a change in direction is what’s needed”, he was referring to the game as a whole. You can just focus on adding as many characters as possible, but hen the rest of the game suffers.

Instead, if you already have a big, diverse, well represented roster, you can flesh out other things like single player, stages, items, maybe even stuff like trophies and music.

We’ve seen this in action already with content being added onto simple additions. We could have just gotten Dracula’s Castle, but no. We got stage hazards of different monsters and Dracula himself. It’s not just a stage, it’s an experience.

These are the sorts of additions I think Sakurai is looking for. He’s added more modes that aren’t crap like Tour. They refined other modes like Classic and Squad Strike.

I think fans get too caught up in characters and don’t focus enough on actually being able to play it. Having good characters is good, but will mean nothing is there aren’t new, fantastic ways to play the game as them.
I agree with a lot of this, and I've been much more interested in modes than characters since the game has been announced (especially now that I've got my most wanted characters aside from one or two). At this point I find modes and quality-of-life changes to be more important than the roster. It's nice being able to play as your favorite character, but it's a bit sullied when you get KO'd early from janky mechanics, or stuck to limited online modes.

Speaking of, I'm more anxious over the fact we haven't heard anything about the online more than any box theory. I would've figured they'd mention something during the most recent direct, but they just told us more of the same about the online service itself. I'm not expecting it to run any better at this point, I'm just hoping there are more modes to play.

For some reason a lot of my anticipation is centered around stages, too. The sheer amount is amazing, and I'm eager to see all the different forms. But then again, most of them are old stages, so I can understand why there isn't much discussion about them here.

I'm just glad I'm at the point where I don't really have to fret over what characters are and aren't in the game, and I'm looking forward to all the extra content the game will have since resources won't have to be split for two games like it was for Sm4sh.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So if Steve to be true then who we got in base roster is then.

Chrom(E)
Daisy(E)
Dark Samus(E)
Incineroar
Inkling
Isabelle
Ken(E)
King K. Rool
Richter(E)
Ridley
Simon
Steve

Still much less then previous newcomers in the other Smash games so Sakurai had indeed kept his word when he said "Don't expect too many".

At that point Geno may very well be DLC then.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I really don't understand why they'd pick such an obscure character, what powers does she have? Does her game is considered a masterpiece? Or is it just to promote the game?
The game is 'big' in Japan, probably in the top 3-5 mobile games.

And powers? Ice-wielding swordswoman.

Untouch

Smash Master
I would imagine that if Nintendo wants a mobile representative they'd pick either a character from Draglia Lost or FEH, you know, games they make money from...

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So... Verge is backing up someone who says Steve and a Grandblue character are joining Smash? Or is there something I’m missing here?

Ummmmmm... I’m skeptical. I guess Steve makes sense, however there are some things that make me wary about his (her?) chances. But Grandblue? That has little to no relationship to Nintendo whatsoever and is mediocre at best here. I rrrreeeeeeaaaaalllllllyyyy doubt a Grandblue character is coming to Smash. I didn’t even know what Grandblue was until now.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
How so?
also why is my birthday in your signature?
I love the inklings and really want Geno, and am cool with pretty much all of the newcomers so far, but I also very much like K. Rool. So I see your posts mentioning that you don't care so much for him and feel a kind of dissonance for a second haha.

Also, to answer your question about my signature,

Also, I didn't know it's your birthday, but hey that too I guess

Shroob

Sup?
Ya know...

The biggest funny is that Granblue was made by a whole bunch of people that made early Final Fantasy games, including Nomua.

Wouldn't it be a kick in the teeth if Verg mistook Katalina as the "2nd SE rep"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom