• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Eh.

The SE rep will be fighter #70, and they'll also be able to say "75 characters!" on the main site, which is basically a milestone number.

Seems like a good end point pre-DLC for me.
In the end it's all up to Sakurai though. Won't find out until the games release. ;)

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
"Entitled"

In two weeks it'll have been two months since August direct.

There was a two month gap between E3's and August's.

It's in no way unreasonable to say that October would be a fine time.
When someone says the word "entitled" many possible images pop into my mind of what that person may be like.

None of them are ever good.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ya know, I wonder...

If there was to be a horror franchise included, what would it be?

Also, why not take my quick straw poll on scary video games while you're at it?

https://strawpoll.com/f9afyybb

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
On that music thing, considering the following for music total (under the assumption that all the tracks in the sound test are the final count):

Castlevania has 34, Metroid has 25, Yoshi has 14, Kirby has 39, Star Fox has 17, Game & Watch has 2, Wii Fit has 10, Sonic has 20, Bayonetta has 11, FFVII has 2, Street Fighter has 36, Pac-Man has 13, and the other section has 97. Moray Towers was shown to have 23 tracks available for selection, but we don't really know if all of them are from Splatoon. However, for now, let's assume they are.

All of that adds up to 343 tracks.

That leaves track totals from Smash itself, Mario, DK, Zelda, Pokemon, F-Zero, Earthbound, Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, Wario, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Punch Out, Xenoblade, Metal Gear, and Mega Man unaccounted for.

It's been stated in this interview that Mega Man and Fire Emblem also received a substantial increase in tracks, the music team has more free reign in picking songs, some tracks get stuck in licensing hell, and that there won't be as many mellow songs this time (like The Roost).

Either some series' just have a ton of music (Mario having a lot wouldn't be a surprise; it did have 71 in Smash 4 alone) or there might be other franchises involved. Hm.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
>ballot stuffing
This is why we can’t have nice things.
That's why I keep saying "we don't know how well a character did". Other than that, you don't need a ballot to figure out K.Rool or Isabelle was popular. Votes probably helped 'smaller' character like Chrom more.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Here's an idea for what we could talk about. How about discussing what Ultimate fanart we'd like to see?
Instead of hoping for people to draw smash fanart I like, I usually make my own.

I've been thinking about drawing Bowser and Squirtle standing back-to-back, arms crossed, wearing sunglasses..
Sorry buddy, this idea was so cool I had to draw it myself! Hope you don't mind.
turtle boys.png

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I kind of want to make fanart, but when I start I begin thinking maybe it'd be better if I worked on my own thing that way I can create something from it of my own

Pakky

Smash Hero
164903[/ATTACH]
Yoshi taking a nap with his friends!
His...very dangerous friends...
Wholesome and good :3

Very well done.

Inceniroar eating Fancy feast would be funny though I can't be bothered work and personal projects keep me busy these days.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Bayo is definitely closer, though. She's published by Nintendo and almost like a Nintendo character. Sonic is still 3rd party. Sakurai would've added Sonic in Melee right out if development time allowed for it. This is well before any Sonic GameCube games came out. Thus, he didn't get in for relations to Nintendo, but for both popularity and iconicness. Just like almost every 3rd party(save Bayo, obviously). Snake still had those going for him. Being a favor alone isn't going to get a character in. There were other factors to consider, like licensing and such.
Even with Bayo having her games saved by Nintendo, that isn’t enough to have her be closer to them than their biggest threat and greatest 3rd party ally Sonic. Sure the popularity and iconic ness definitely helps hiand his series, but the sight of Mario vs Sonic alone was a big enough reason to put him in the game...and that dream match wouldn’t have existed without their near decade long war between enemies turned life long brothers (though I will admit at the least Bayo is 2nd, having more personal relations to Nintendo than the rest).

What could probably be agreed on is Nintendo buying Sega (not like any other 3rd party company have had as much love and respect for Nintendo than their former rival)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Ya know, I wonder...

Resident Evil is the king of survival horror, but I really don't know how you make Jill/Chris/Leon (Poor Claire, the last of the main 4, just short of being as iconic as the rest of them) have an interesting moveset that isn't just ''I have a gun!" but I'm sure Sakurai could think of something.

Never played Fatal Frame, but it also seems like a good choice. It's very J Horror and seems like Sakurai might enjoy how Eastern it is.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Even with Bayo having her games saved by Nintendo, that isn’t enough to have her be closer to them than their biggest threat and greatest 3rd party ally Sonic. Sure the popularity and iconic ness definitely helps hiand his series, but the sight of Mario vs Sonic alone was a big enough reason to put him in the game...and that dream match wouldn’t have existed without their near decade long war between enemies turned life long brothers (though I will admit at the least Bayo is 2nd, having more personal relations to Nintendo than the rest).

What could probably be agreed on is Nintendo buying Sega (not like any other 3rd party company have had as much love and respect for Nintendo than their former rival)
Again, Sonic was fine with being in by Melee(if it weren't for a development time issue). Sakurai was fine with the idea before he even became 3rd party. There was no ties to Nintendo when adding him. At all. That was blatantly irrelevant. Sonic got in for two reasons, previous asked to be in, and extreme popularity.

There is no reason for Nintendo to buy Sega. It has to be the whole company, cause they aren't going to give up their flagship series. Sega's doing just fine without them anyway, considering they have tons of other IP's they own. It's just their most known IP... which also often gets a lot of bad games here and there too. What an irony.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Just wanted to add my 2 cents on that, '''''pro-box'''''' people are not trying to prove that the box theory is 100% right, it's literally impossible to know at this point (it'll be confirmed only by official releases), they're are usually trying to explain why the box theory should be considered. On the other hand, the ''''anti-box'''' people are trying to say we shouldn't even consider the box mainly for reason such as ''it's dumb'' or ''it's just a box''. In other words the real debate is not around ''is the box theory right?'' it's more around ''should we even consider it as a theory?''. If it happens to be true, people who just discarded it will look a bit more foolish, if it is disproved, '''''pro box''''' people have made a wrong assumption. Anti are making a statement, Pro are making an assumption. That's my understanding.

Maybe some or all the DLC characters are already decided, therefore his source could be right about the SE character and the box theory would still hold. If i remember correctly he didn't specify any dates regarding the SE character. But as you said he must be confused in the moment, i hope his sources can confirm or disprove the box theory before the next direct...

Probably about this post i made yesterday but it was not meant to disprove the Box Theory. Just pointing out that the design was not final if anybody had doubts.

Edit: typos and wording...
And we just have different understandings--my experience has been the opposite. Every other post takes box theory as if it was gospel. And there's a disconnect between how flimsy the evidence is to how certain people are of it. And saying the arguments against it is tantamount to saying "it's dumb" is a strawman. That's not the argument, but of an opinion of it as a whole. The argument is it's a placeholder image, which everyone agrees on, and it's design is subject to change, and even then, the theory breaks down because it may not have every character on it. That's an assumption. I've gone in depth before, but at some point I'm essentially repeating myself. :p I'd be fine with box theory if I felt people treated it as it is (technically a hypothesis), instead of as fact, stifling speculation. But people are free to talk about what they want, I'm not saying we shouldn't consider it. :upsidedown: But I've exhausted the topic, so I'll chime in if I see anything non-boxy interests me.

Virtually all of 64's, Melee's, and Brawl's OST are in Wii U's OST. We'd still be at 481 tracks. There's plenty of music to go, about 450-500ish.
Hmmm... We had 500 tracks with 63 characters. 300 more tracks means 37 new characters! That's the new music theory. And it's math, so it's fact.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just noticed none of us are ready for Isabelle's victory animations...

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Three words:

"Yoshi Akuma Pose"

I'm ready for anything :yoshi:
And there comes a time when every fighter meets his match and a new victor is crowned.
May you live to see that day late in your life and never face the thousand deaths.

D8E63F2F-F64B-4C72-9A01-39845FB34E14.jpeg

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
Ya know, I wonder...

I mean, if we're talking characters, I think either Leon S. Kennedy or Jill Valentine (based off her appearance in RE1) should be the pick. That being said, I love Silent Hill much much more. SH has some of the best sound design, and I'd love for there to be any chance of music being in (Shattered Memories was on the Wii at least). But there aren't particularly strong characters that have appeared on Nintendo consoles, compared to Resident Evil. Then again...
1230112-new_international_track_and_field_5.jpg

EDIT: I'd also appreciate any reference to Eternal Darkness ever existing, especially considering its exclusivity on the Gamecube.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Resident Evil is the king of survival horror, but I really don't know how you make Jill/Chris/Leon (Poor Claire, the last of the main 4, just short of being as iconic as the rest of them) have an interesting moveset that isn't just ''I have a gun!" but I'm sure Sakurai could think of something.

Never played Fatal Frame, but it also seems like a good choice. It's very J Horror and seems like Sakurai might enjoy how Eastern it is.
Leon and Jill have way more than "I have a gun" Leon is very competent in over the top CQC, as is Jill and Chris, plus Jill has really funky powers in RE5.

Also this amazingly meme scene, Chris also uses tons of wrestling moves

Not to mention the constant RE challenge of "Knife only" runs and Leons excessive use of roundhouse kicks.

Also heres how you have some fun with Gun-Fu even if Sakurai wouldn't go this all out with it lmao.

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
The blog confirmed that Isabelle's fishing pole can be used as a tether recovery.
I feel like most people were pretty sure it would be able to, but it's still nice to have 100% confirmation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom