• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The blog confirmed that Isabelle's fishing pole can be used as a tether recovery.
I feel like most people were pretty sure it would be able to, but it's still nice to have 100% confirmation.
:ultsimon::ultrichter: :ultisabelle:
holy recovery batman thats a lot of tethers

I'd be fine with box theory if I felt people treated it as it is (technically a hypothesis).
I totally understand but... 'the box hypothesis' sounds way less sexy:troll: but yeah joking aside, i understand your point.

Every other post takes box theory as if it was gospel.
I think we both agree that nothing should be set in stone regarding this theory (yet). At least that's the way i see it.

As a wise Nethermoosen once said: ''Absolute refusal of Box Theory is the same as absolutely adhering to it. They are both unwarranted extremes.''

Ah and he aslo said this :p

Last edited:

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Here's an idea for what we could talk about. How about discussing what Ultimate fanart we'd like to see?
Well, not specifically Smash Ultimate, but a general Smash Bros fanart idea I've had in my head but wish I had the talent to draw is an image of Tabuu sitting in a big, comfy chair with his legs crossed and a wine glass in his hand, sitting in front of a fireplace, maybe with a fuzzy robe on, and behind him is like a group of trophies like in a hunter's lodge, but instead of animal trophies it's trophies of Smashers.

Kind of a dark image but I can't help but find it kinda funny in a sorta black comedy way.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Depending on who you feel is going to be in the first game, who do you think is going to be DLC

The ones I see are: Banjo, Isaac, Skull Kid, Dixie, probably some new characters I don't know about

Shot in the Dark: Sora

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
Leon and Jill have way more than "I have a gun" Leon is very competent in over the top CQC, as is Jill and Chris, plus Jill has really funky powers in RE5.

Also this amazingly meme scene, Chris also uses tons of wrestling moves

Not to mention the constant RE challenge of "Knife only" runs and Leons excessive use of roundhouse kicks.

Also heres how you have some fun with Gun-Fu even if Sakurai wouldn't go this all out with it lmao.

I think if you look at Snake's moveset (with it having more emphasis on explosives), then you can add that Jill could use a grenade launcher, complete with the variations like acid and incendiary grenades. I could see Leon getting away with using a weapon like the Striker, but if not he's got the Handcannon or something more sci-fi with the P.R.L. 412. But honestly... with the guns Bayonetta has, I don't see it much harm if a handgun was used for something like down tilt (similar to some of Chris' ground normals in MvC). Speaking of MvC, there's always the possibility of summoning actual zombies/BOWs like Jill in MvC2 (and to a lesser extent Frank West in TvC). The knife mechanics throughout the series would be perfect for a ftilt you can angle.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Depending on who you feel is going to be in the first game, who do you think is going to be DLC

The ones I see are: Banjo, Isaac, Skull Kid, Dixie, probably some new characters I don't know about

off the top of my head;

-Geno (if not in Base game)
-Miss Pac-Man as an Echo Fighter (if not in base-game)
-Isaac
-Banjo
-Maybe another Final Fantasy character (Again, if not in base roster...I really only say this because I want Terra from 6)
-Bandana Dee

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

-Banjo-Kazooie
-Isaac
-Rex & Pyra
-Spring Man

Banjo-Kazooie is almost guarantee. Isaac I can easily see due to how demanded he is and if he doesn't make it Base and Rex & Pyra and Spring Man are very likely especially with the former of how Sakurai gushes over Xenoblade.

Could also see Ribbon Girl, Felix (Echo of Isaac) and Octoling (Echo of Inkling).

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

My assumptions for the base game at the moment are Banjo & Kazooie, Geno, Isaac, and Incineroar. Given those:

I do not actually think Rex & Pyra or ARMS rep are locks--because it's Sakurai, there are no locks. But with every veteran in the base game, unless Nintendo goes all third party (unlikely), I feel like they're pretty likely.

Third Party wise, I believe we'll see characters from our current third parties. Dante is very likely as Capcom's next rep, and with Devil Make Cry 5 coming out, it's highly relevant and we've seen increased popularity recently. Bandai Namco is another question mark--rumors that a character in the base game, and I'd think Lloyd would fit in that case, though I think Heihachi would be a fit for DLC as he was once considered and could be a Ryu situation, with a fighting character for DLC. I think a Persona rep for Sega/Atlus is a big possibility, and as Sakurai liked Persona 5, Joker would be the likely representative. Sora seems the most likely actually, his popularity larger due to Kingdom Hearts 3 (which was still very large in 2015), and fits Smash well. And like B&K, those who own the copyright (presumably Disney, Square less so) have been rumored to say they would support his inclusion if Sakurai asks (but both Disney and the creator must agree). Whether this includes Disney content included somehow--I would guess probably not (but I would love that). And for series not currently from a third party in Smash, I think Activision's Crash Bandicoot has the highest likelihood--a mascot character with a Smash-perfect moveset, who's back in the public's consciousness thanks to the N-Sane Trilogy. And it would just be cool to Sony's former mascot alongside Nintendo, Sega, and Microsoft content.

Other first party characters--if Skull Kid and Bandana Waddle Dee do not make the base game, it's possible they could be in the game given their huge popularity. But I'm much less certain about them, as they also have a high chance of making the base game for various reasons. My bet would be on Skull Kid. As much as I would love for assist trophies to become DLC characters to make it so assists are no longer a hard deconfirmation, I have a feeling that's too pie-in-the-sky. I would prefer Bomberman, though if anyone has a chance, given Nintendo officially commented on the matter through Reggie, Waluigi is perhaps the most likely candidate.

So I'm thinking:
1. Rex & Pyra
2. ARMS rep
3. Skull Kid
4. Crash Bandicoot
5. Dante
6. Heihachi
7. Joker
8. Sora

I also see echoes as a possibility given how easy they are to make and can satisfy fan demand. But I'm less certain of who, given I haven't thought about them as much, other than Octoling--but they too have a possibility to be in the base game, depending on what time frame they could be made in. Also, this is all heavily biased--they're all characters that I know, and many I have a preference for (seen in my sig). But I've tried to be fair, for instance as much as I want Tails, I think it would be better to see a new series like Persona be represented. And, of course, this is all tentative because I still think they're waiting for the game to be finished before working hard on the details, even though they may be considering it at this point, and who knows where the zeitgeist will be when the game launches.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Spring Man, Rex & Pyra, Bandana Dee, Skull Kid, Lloyd, Crash, Banjo.

There might be some echoes too to go along with them, like Ribbon Girl for Spring Man, Impa for Sheik, maybe Coco for Crash.

I'm really tempted to put Waluigi on the list, although I'm going to withhold him for now I definitely think he's one of the frontrunners.

Just for clarity's sake, I think the final characters for the base game are Incineroar, Ken, Shadow and Geno.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
If Loto/Erdrick actually gets in im really hoping they go with his famicon design over the ugly adult one

Way more appealing than uh this:

Its really funny how erdricks design has the same thing with goku where the kid version of them has a more appealing design then the adult

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Can she work as an Echo though. She doesn't have the height and structure to match his tbh. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
I actually have no idea, I've never played ARMS, I just assumed it could work because I've seen others bring it up.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If Echoes become DLC, how much less would they cost in comparison to unique ones?
Probably about half of a regular character, although I'm sure there'd be some bundles that might chip more off than that, similarly to how Smash 4 had those character + stage bundles.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Y’know, at heavy times of speculation like this, I somehow forget this is a crossover. A Nintendo crossover with other third parties.

All these characters are interacting with one another in amazing reveal trailers and fighting in the game. I can make Olimar and Donkey Kong beat up Sonic and Cloud while Zero helps me on Gerudo Valley. I can make the Duck Hunt Dog and Pac Man fight a giant Mewtwo in Dracula’s Castle. The list goes on and on.

One of the reasons a younger me was so excited for Greninja was that I got to see my favorite Gen 6 starter beating the **** outta Mario, It was a dream I didn’t know I had.

We should all remember, that regardless of who gets in, this is an amazing game, and the fact that all these characters from vastly different backgrounds are all coming together is a huge milestone on it’s own.

Yeah, Bomberman, Shovel Knight, Ashley, and Waluigi not being playable may suck, but seeing them here is amazing on it’s own.

Yeah, maybe you don’t care about Isabelle or K. Rool, but they’re just one or two of the currently 76 characters (counting Miis and Echos).

Even if I don’t get my RH rep, I’m still going to enjoy the hell outta this game. And I’m going to enjoy it for as long as it can last. Hopefully you all can do the same regardless of if there’s only 2 newcomers left, or more.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
A Nintendo crossover with other third parties.
This is where Smash Bros. vs. Capcom could come into play. Only issue is it'd have to be Nintendo exclusive.

Anyways though I gotta go to bed. I'll talk more with you guys tomorrow.

Last edited:

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
Resident Evil is the king of survival horror, but I really don't know how you make Jill/Chris/Leon (Poor Claire, the last of the main 4, just short of being as iconic as the rest of them) have an interesting moveset that isn't just ''I have a gun!" but I'm sure Sakurai could think of something.
My man, this isn't hard at all!
I'll focus on Leon here, as I genuinely think that he is guaranteed to get into Smash one day.

Jedisupersonic Jedisupersonic has touched on it, but even if you remove all of Leon's guns his moveset writes itself.
You can pull sources for jabs, smashes and tilts largely from Resi 4, be it knife swipes (a good ftilt-type move here), roundhouse kicks (a staple of combat in RE4) or even his "shake off" kick - that would make a fine fthrow. This tominagi fits right in as a back throw. And we don't have to stop here...
There's so much material to pull from here, and that's without considering his other appearances across the series.

Whilst you'll have to take some liberties, specials could use more interesting equipment from the game like a crossbow, rocket launcher, flash grenades and such. For any projectiles that he has, it would be very important to preserve the feel of Resi 4's over-the-shoulder aiming.

There is so much to pull from to represent this near-perfect game with such close ties to the GameCube, and god knows Resident Evil is a big enough series.
Leon's a very obvious choice for Smash. You don't front a genre-defining, critically acclaimed and immortal GameCube game (I know it was on other formats, but there is one version that everyone talks about!) that's part of a very prominent and ever-successful series, and yet somehow fall under the Smash radar. And I hope I've shown you can really make his potential Smash incarnation truly feel like Leon.

With Capcom fully supporting the Smash series now and Mega Man already making the cut, Leon is no doubt a frontrunner for a Capcom playable character - people here seriously sleep on him.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
If Echoes become DLC, how much less would they cost in comparison to unique ones?
I'm guessing that we may not see as many echoes for DLC as we would think, despite what a great opportunity that would be. That being said, I think the most likely possibility is if we see unique characters that could come with an echo (like Simon/Richter), or a series tie-in (Skull Kid DLC also comes with Impa echo), or much, much more unlikely, echoes being released in batches free to those who subscribe to the online service. I feel like while an echo pack seems like a good idea, many echo characters for the price of a unique character DLC, licensing issues might be a problem, though Nintendo could release a pack with all first party echo characters bundled together.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Can she work as an Echo though. She doesn't have the height and structure to match his tbh. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Slight height differences don't matter, Lucina was made relatively taller in Smash so that her height difference from Marth was negligible. And since Spring Man's and Ribbon Girl's body structures are that of a generic fit human male and female (just with the springy/ribbon arms), I don't think they would be different enough to prevent Echoing (as evident by the male Wii Fit Trainer being an alt-costume of the female Wii Fit Trainer, with the same exact hitboxes/hurtboxes).

That said I'm not sure Ribbon Girl would be made an Echo of Spring Man, but at the least I think it's workable.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
I expect all DLC to be for marketing and/or 3rd parties like smash 4

Fact that sakurai requested sega to bring there arcade titles to switch and capcom is doing that as well makes me believe were getting a new capcom and sega rep

also square bringing a ton of FF games to switch. wouldnt be surprised if DQ11 switch ends making the the hero of that game DLC

on the nintendo side of things, FE three Houses character has a good chance too

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
So... does anyone have specific Mii Fighter costumes as DLC? I'd like it if we have a Ness costume for Swordfighter, using a bat or more Fire Emblem characters.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I expect all DLC to be for marketing and/or 3rd parties like smash 4

Fact that sakurai requested sega to bring there arcade titles to switch and capcom is doing that as well makes me believe were getting a new capcom and sega rep

also square bringing a ton of FF games to switch. wouldnt be surprised if DQ11 switch ends making the the hero of that game DLC

on the nintendo side of things, FE three Houses character has a good chance too
I really hope the dq11 hero is not who we get. His design is kinda meh so I’d be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom