• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
So, I was quite disappointed with the direct tbh. Luigi's Mansion 3 was amazing but other than that...not hyped. Fire emblem and Metroid noticeably missing.

As for Isabelle...I really, really do not like AC. But putting that bias aside...

That trailer was bad.

Slow, dragged on, no cinematic visuals like Ridley/Rool/Simon, no explanation on her in depth, no interactions with other characters like everyone else that makes it feel like actual smash...not even the smash transition logo in the beginning to hype you up. It just throws her on screen and you know it was her as soon as you saw "not actual gameplay footage".

I couldn't get hyped for her.
I couldn't get hyped for her and I love Animal Crossing to death. That trailer was beyond bad, and she's just a semi-clone to boot. Chrom and Dark Samus had a better trailer...

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So, I was quite disappointed with the direct tbh. Luigi's Mansion 3 was amazing but other than that...not hyped. Fire emblem and Metroid noticeably missing.

As for Isabelle...I really, really do not like AC. But putting that bias aside...

That trailer was bad.

Slow, dragged on, no cinematic visuals like Ridley/Rool/Simon, no explanation on her in depth, no interactions with other characters like everyone else that makes it feel like actual smash...not even the smash transition logo in the beginning to hype you up. It just throws her on screen and you know it was her as soon as you saw "not actual gameplay footage".

I couldn't get hyped for her.
Pretty much agree except for the not liking AC part, Really happy she’s in, but besides that, the direct was kinda a letdown

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
I'm actually thinking Ken will be a SEMI CLONE of Ryu. It would make sense considering Vergeban seems to only know of unique newcomers.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
This salt is... kind of entertaining, though I may not be able to understand since I'm looking through a very different pair of goggles.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
We've gone from poeple being mad about clones getting in or characters being clones to people being mad about new characters not being clones.

Like damn, I don't care for AC but I thought people would be happier given the amount of people that do and in particular, like Isabelle. I was happy for the people that did want her but now they seem like a minority.

All that being said, her trailer was boring imo. I don't, however, think that it should detract from her being in Smash.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
>piggybacking even though they made a unique claim (Isabelle as the reveal) and were the only one to do so
>logically
>uses a subjective opinion

Look, just because you want Geno doesn't mean this is false.
Vergeben said we are getting a second Square Enix rep

My only iffy thing on this is alll the ins are from Vergeben check marks

Besides it could just be a miracle lucky guess and it’s not saying if he’s unique or echo just newcomer

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Isabelle's trailer itself was way more mellow than the rest, and I think that's partially why people are disappointed.

Ridley's is "OH **** HE'S IN" and all dramatic
Simon's is "OH **** HE'S IN" and all dramatic
K. Rool's is "OH **** HE'S IN" and all dramatic
Isabelle's is "wait is this an ac trailer or a smash trailer"

Untouch

Smash Master
Why am I being pegged as "salt because Isabelle is in instead of my character being in" because I didn't like the direct?
My character DID get in already. I think the direct was lame, and her reveal was lame, I don't really care that she's in at all.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Here's something that caught my eye...

Umm... if you don't mind my asking, what caught your eye about the Smash Switch dock?

Just the dock itself? Or is there something about it?
If I told anyone in this site I didn't care about K.Rool's reveal, I would have been ripped apart. Well, I didn't, but didn't go around like it was the end of the world, especially when I know he has his fans. If you don't like Isabelle, fine, but don't act like she isn't super ****ing popular or that she doesn't deserve this.
The whining about Isabelle is one of the most selfish and childish things I have ever seen this fanbase do.
Too true.

I don't care about Animal Crossing personally, but I'm happy for Isabelle's fans, at the very least.

I'm not going to complain that it wasn't Isaac or someone else; it was Isabelle, the trailer was fun (if not necessarily exciting) and Isabelle's fans are happy. I can deal.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Is this what the Wolf reveal was like?

Everyone whining that a character is a clone when in actuality they're like 90% unique?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Hold on, I'm so out of the loop that I can't even find said loop. How does the Isabelle reveal correlate to Dante in Smash?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
All you guys expecting Skull Kid, Isaac, and Geno had way too lofty expectations. I for one, Welcome our Animal Crossing overlords, and I think Isabelle's inclusion as a unique fighter is completey justified. Animal Crossing is big enough to have more than one character, and Isabelle is basically the series mascot at this point. I think she deserves it.
This is Smashing Ramen of the Isabelle Defense Squad, Signing out

Shroob

Sup?
So yeah.

The only part in question with Verg now is this Dante leak existing.

Before the Dante leak, this more or less lined up with "103 is the final stage number, deal with it."

But obviously Dante would need a stage.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I can totally see a non-Geno Square Enix character coming. Given the love Square is pouring out to Nintendo, I really feel like it could be another FF character.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Anyways, the one good thing about this is that it basically disproves the theory that only popular characters from the Ballot will be added.

Chorus Kids still have a chance!

Noipoi

Howdy!
I leave for a week and this place is as salty as ever, maybe even more so.

Ah, how I missed the boards.

Last edited:

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Isabelles trailer was a lot slower than the other ones, but she's still an excellent addition for sure.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
By the way, I watched the Japanese direct and not the English one yet, but I'm going to look at the differences. I take it the board game wasn't in the English one? Because Civ 6 wasn't in the Japanese one.

Also, very excited for Chocobo's Dungeon.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Umm... if you don't mind my asking, what caught your eye about the Smash Switch dock?

Just the dock itself? Or is there something about it?
It's the OG 8. Luigi, Ness, Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff aren't on it...

That could probably tell us something about the starting roster

Also Yoshi :yoshi:

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Hmm, majority of Smash newcomers were once Mii Costumes from Smash 4.
  • Inkling
  • Chrom
  • King K Rool
  • Isabelle
Other AT characters like Knuckles and Zero were once Mii Costumes from Smash 4.

Could this mean...Geno and Skull Kid have a likely chance??
DnAq37xUcAA-un4.jpeg
DnArDAuUwAAZYK1.jpeg
DnArCRyUcAEjsPp.jpeg

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Or maybe they are revealing 1 good character 1 evil character at that order:
- Inkling (good)
- Ridley (evil)
- Simon Belmont (good)
- King K. Rool (evil)
- Isabelle (good)
- ??? (evil)

So maybe next one is Skull Kid.
It could be Incineroar, i mean he is the heel pokemon.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Isabelle's trailer itself was way more mellow than the rest, and I think that's partially why people are disappointed.

Ridley's is "OH **** HE'S IN" and all dramatic
Simon's is "OH **** HE'S IN" and all dramatic
K. Rool's is "OH **** HE'S IN" and all dramatic
Isabelle's is "wait is this an ac trailer or a smash trailer"
Even when characters are introduced that I don't care for I generally can still enjoy the trailer, I'm never had a Smash trailer leave me with such a feeling of Meh as this one did.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I think y'all need to chill out and remind yourselves that this was a NINTENDO Direct, not a SMASH Direct and y'all set your bars too high. There was going to be at least one newcomer and we got Isabelle. I was surprised that we only got one, but I'm not complaining. Be thankful that we got a new character to join the fight instead of 35 minutes "wasted" like some of you are complaining about because I'd take that over NOTHING.

We got two and a half months until the game drops so plenty of time to at least drop 1-2 more Directs and I expect the Final Direct in November to come off with a bang. So stop being salty and try to focus on what's next

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
While Isabelle was a fine edition, I don't think she was enough for a Smash reveal. Her + Echo would have been fine, but just her? Left me a little unsatisfied.

I don't have a problem with Isabelle, though.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
So who's ready for an Akuma semi-clone reveal in the same trailer as Heihachi with Ken as the echo?
What if Black Knight is in as a semi-clone lmao.

This is gonna be fun.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
We've gone from poeple being mad about clones getting in or characters being clones to people being mad about new characters not being clones.

Like damn, I don't care for AC but I thought people would be happier given the amount of people that do and in particular, like Isabelle. I was happy for the people that did want her but now they seem like a minority.

All that being said, her trailer was boring imo. I don't, however, think that it should detract from her being in Smash.
The irony is delicious for many of us Dark Pit mains, I would presume. I know I'm loving it, and I'm happy for Isabelle's supporters.

And for those of you who are upset over Isabelle (or anyone for that matter) for getting in and are relentlessly hating on their supporters,

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I don't care that Isabelle is in the game it's just that trailer was really lame.
I mean, I liked it.

Animal Crossing is a different breed of game. It's meant to be slow and calming. The trailer was true to that. It actually made me nostalgic for when I played New Leaf.

The feeling of slowness could also be attributed to their decision to stick with text bubbles, as they're going to leave that up long enough for slower readers to catch on. It's annoying for someone who's used to mashing the A button the moment they're done with a sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom