• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

SNK, even if only for a little bit, was Capcom's biggest rival in the arcade scene back in the day. They got a handful of iconic characters under their belt too like Terry Bogard, Geese Howard, Marco Rossi, Athena, Nakoruru, Iori Yagami and Kyo Kusanagi.

Who would they go with is harder to say, but the easy choice would be Terry or Marco imo.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's not a deciding factor anymore, but it still helps. At its core Smash Bros is still a celebration of Nintendo, with further celebration of video games as a whole with the many 3rd parties we've gotten.
To be fair, Master Chief hasn't been anywhere near a Nintendo-related property at all, let alone a console. At least with Kratos, you can argue the excuse of him having fought Shovel Knight once.

Edit: Well, okay, there's that Minecraft skin, but still.

SNK, even if only for a little bit, was Capcom's biggest rival in the arcade scene back in the day. They got a handful of iconic characters under their belt too like Terry Bogard, Marco Rossi, Athena, Nakoruru, Iori Yagami and Kyo Kusanagi.

Who would they go with is harder to say, but the easy choice would be Terry or Marco imo.
If they picked Athena, I would enjoy the PTSD reactions to Micronics' abysmal NES port of her game.

That said, Marco would be the best option, since Metal Slug gameplay is overall simpler to adapt into Smash (plus the vast array of weapons).

Last edited:

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
Possible Retro Fighters.

-Ayumi Tachibana
-Balloon Fighter
-Bubbles
-Excitebiker
-Lip
-Mach Rider
-Sable Prince
-Sheirff

Ayumi I think maybe the most likely being she was considered for Melee.
I still really want a character who fights like a total non-fighter. Like how Phoenix Wright was in MvC3 or Celica in Blazblue. Ayumi would fit that really well.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
How would you guys react if when we get DLC it’s in seasons a la Tekken 7, and Season 1’s DLC content is as follows
- Rex & Pyra (probably the safest DLC bet ever)
- Octoling (echo of Inkling)
- You were expecting Springman as the ARMS rep, BUT IT WAS ME, DIO DR. COYLE!
- Dixie Kong (assuming she’s not base roster and is TOTALLY unique)
- and the last one, a surprise pick, the protagonist of Dragalia Lost, Nintendo’s new mobile exclusive IP
I like this because this makes it sound like multiple waves of DLC characters, each comparable to Smash 4's entire DLC. I'd be hella down, though they'd better throw a good number of stages in there too

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Not a Retro. It means someone that originates from the 80's in an NES or SNES game.
Dark Samus originated in the Metroid Prime games created by Retro Studios though, and normally the word “retro” doesn’t start with a capital R so they thought you were talking about a Retro Studios character

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Scorpion if anything you'll more likely to see in a PSASBR sequel which isn't even likely at this point. Mortal Kombat also isn't that popular in Japan and isn't even an Japanese created franchise. Cloud was and Final Fantasy is popular in Japan too.

I'm just stating facts.

And before you say Banjo-Kazooie. They at least had ties to Nintendo which is why they actually have a shot especially being Microsoft is okay with their inclusion and the good relationship between them and Nintendo now.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Good old days when people thought they can actually cut Jigglypuff.
I don't know why there's people who still have the "Jigglypuff is uncuttable" mentality, when it's well known now that Jigglypuff was a low priority character in Brawl who was close to getting cut and would have been if Brawl's development was delayed just the slightest bit more.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know this is kinda old but I grabbed this quote and got distracted before I could respond. It stung a little but him being in the game at all was a longshot. I'm hoping that this at least gets his foot in the door but we'll see.
Bomberman as a franchise is doing pretty well right now thanks to Bomberman R, so as long as Konami doesn't stuff it in a box again, I think he'll have decent odds at being promoted from an AT to playable next game.

Of course, that's probably wishful thinking on my part, but I'd like to believe he'll have good chances in the future. :)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Possible Retro Fighters.

-Ayumi Tachibana
-Balloon Fighter
-Bubbles
-Excitebiker
-Lip
-Mach Rider
-Sable Prince
-Sheirff

Sable Prince, Ayumi Tachibana and Lip aren’t that well known outside of Japan though, and that reasoning is why Sakurai decided to keep Takamaru as an AT. I count Lip as being deconfirmed as well due to the Stick, and if Kirby’s Down B has the Face Block, it’s a double deconfirmation. Balloon Fighter is deconfirmed in spirit too due to Villager’s up B.

At this point it would likely be either Sheriff, Mach Rider, Excitebiker, or possibly even Donkey Kong Jr.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Scorpion if anything you'll more likely to see in a PSASBR sequel which isn't even likely at this point. Mortal Kombat also isn't that popular in Japan and isn't even an Japanese created franchise. Cloud was and Final Fantasy is popular in Japan too.

I'm just stating facts.

And before you say Banjo-Kazooie. They at least had ties to Nintendo which is why they actually have a shot especially being Microsoft is okay with their inclusion and the good relationship between them and Nintendo now.
Does popularity have to mean everything for a character's chances to you? Being retro means little at this point too.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
uuuuuuhhhhh
Lesson of the day: never capitalise a letter for the wrong word. It makes all the difference,

I still really want a character who fights like a total non-fighter. Like how Phoenix Wright was in MvC3 or Celica in Blazblue. Ayumi would fit that really well.
There's also Isabelle, that is assuming they don't just give her Villager/Mayor's stuff.

Sable Prince, Ayumi Tachibana and Lip aren’t that well known outside of Japan though, and that reasoning is why Sakurai decided to keep Takamaru as an AT. I count Lip as being deconfirmed as well due to the Stick, and if Kirby’s Down B has the Face Block, it’s a double deconfirmation. Balloon Fighter is deconfirmed in spirit too due to Villager’s up B.

At this point it would likely be either Sheriff, Mach Rider, Excitebiker, or possibly even Donkey Kong Jr.
People are still sleeping on a Pro Wrestling character, too.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Does popularity have to mean everything for a character's chances to you?
Still ignoring that Mortal Kombat isn't even an Japanese created franchise. All these third parties so far has been.

Also being that Sakurai is basing the newcomers off of the ballot yes.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I really miss the newcomer posters that we got from Smash 4. It gave us so many gems like these:

Those are great. I also like that they were done by the major artists of the other games, e.g. Sugimori did the Greninja artwork, and they all fit in those styles.

Would have loved to see those for characters other than the inklings this round.

My one big gripe is they used 16-bit Sonic in the Duck Hunt and Pac Man posters, while everyone else was 8-bit. Made him stick out weirdly.

Can you imagine what Ridley's or K.Rool's would have looked like?

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Bomberman as a franchise is doing pretty well right now thanks to Bomberman R, so as long as Konami doesn't stuff it in a box again, I think he'll have decent odds at being promoted from an AT to playable next game.

Of course, that's probably wishful thinking on my part, but I'd like to believe he'll have good chances in the future. :)
Yeah, I'm hoping that Bomberman doesn't just disappear after this. I know I'm just one person but I bought R at launch just to support the series even though it was pretty lackluster then :laugh:. I'm hoping that the next one has more options though. Even with the dlc, I feel that this one is a little lighter compared to some of the older games

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I thought you meant a Retro Studios character because you capitalized the R. In that case...

uuuuuuhhhhh

Simon doesn't really count. I'm referring to 1st party retros.

Melee: Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch
Brawl: R.O.B.
Smash 4: Duck Hunt, Little Mac

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Rumours of Fox's demise have been greatly exaggerated. He's had a mix of buffs and nerfs.

His Up Smash and Up Air do less knockback, and he can't throw out side B with reckless abandon anymore.

Meanwhile, he's had QoL improvements to his jab and aerials, including his B-air which was low key already pretty good.

The characters inherent design is pretty difficult to make actually bad. Even in Brawl, a game where multiple characters in the game had 0-death grab combos on him, he was still in the upper half of the cast.
Well, that's good to hear that Fox isn't too greatly affected by his nerds considering he's my favorite of the original 8.
Makes more sense as a unique newcomer but toon link echo I guess? Doesn’t really work maybe
[/QUOTE
Echo or not, I'd be glad to have Tetra in Smash, she can wield her cutlass for her basic attacks, and they could give her, her flintlock pistol as a Neutral B, and have it shoot water bullets like in Hyrule Warriors. Release rapid torrential bullets by pressing B repeatedly to rack up damage, or fire a charge shot that does decent amount of damage at once.

Also, have her use a cannon on wheels as her Side B if she can get on the cannon (like how Villager can optionally get on the gyroid) and fire it, and by doing so the recoil sends her and the cannon backwards to hit opponents sneaking up behind her, or she could fire it normally, and she can hit the cannon to launch it forward at the same fast speed as the roller crate item causing high knockback and damage.

Down B can be a counter, if anyone attacks her and she uses it, she stomps her feet and two squeaky loose planks on both sides of her, launches the foe high into the air, and would change aesthetics on different stage such as a stone slab, or a loose piece of metal. It'd work on both sides of her too as
wel - AHHHH *mobs against counters with pitchforks surround me* A-alright we'll just give her Toon Link's bombs... please don't hurt me.

And Up B can be her with a paraglide and an updraft that pushes her back on stage foes on the side as pushed by a windbox, and anyone above her will be hit with high damage like Mr. Game & Watch's Up B, hitting her will make her fall just like Snake's Up B.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I thought you meant a Retro Studios character because you capitalized the R. In that case...

uuuuuuhhhhh

Can a third party count as retro, though? It’s debatable imo

Chrono.

Here's a question: What are some characters you guys feel are likelier than the community as a whole seems to think? Obviously this means no Skull Kids/Isabelles/Isaacs/Genos/etc etc.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Possible Retro Fighters.

-Ayumi Tachibana
-Balloon Fighter
-Bubbles
-Excitebiker
-Lip
-Mach Rider
-Sable Prince
-Sheirff

And so were like 4 other people on that list what's your point?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Time to twist the mood a bit. Who are your 10 most wanted characters this time around? I'll start:

10. Balloon Fighter
9. Golisopod (w/ Guzma maybe)
8. Rex and Pyra
7. Dixie Kong
6. Isaac
5. Shadow
4. Banjo
3. Bandanna Waddle Dee
2. Skull Kid
1. Geno
For this many I'll include pipe dream characters and ones I think will be dlc if anything.

1. Ray MK III
2. Joker
3. Black Knight
4. Geno
5. Primarina
6. Elma
7. Skull Kid
8. Banjo and Kazooie
9. Guzma (Golisipod)
10. Rex and Pyra

My number 1 realistic base roster character is Black Knight.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
Here's a question: What are some characters you guys feel are likelier than the community as a whole seems to think? Obviously this means no Skull Kids/Isabelles/Isaacs/Genos/etc etc.
Steve and Jack Frost, tbh.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
No. A Direct has not been confirmed yet, but there are still red flags that point out to a Direct announcement.

NoA has been silent for 27 hours and 47 minutes now. When NoA goes silent, it's usually for a Direct announcement. It's like, they are in the second phase.
The phases goes like this:
1. Tweet, then start tweeting a lot.
2. Go silent for very long period.
3. Announce the Direct.

That's how NoA has been. Oh, and contrary to popular belief, NoA does actually tweet on weekends, just not as much.
They posted an hour ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom