• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
He's always 'had' support, but it never was as big as it was after 8.8 due to Loz18, the chairs and Relaxalax making this mainstream.

Skull Kid's huge popularity RN is primarily bandwaggoning, not going to lie.
I dunno. Skull Kid seemed pretty big back in '12 with the VG Tribune thing (over 1 million votes cast!). Sakurai himself explicitly had to stress he was not a playable character when he revealed his assist trophy. You don't do that unless you know a character's got a big fanbase.

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
She could easily be added as an echo... Skull kid can not
Yes, but she was still popular according to Sakurai, and not one of those polls called that, which is my point. Sakurai is outright telling us that she placed highly in the west.

D

Deleted member

Yeah... Skull Kid wasn't talked about until RelaxAlax Brought up the chairs... he wasn't even popular in the ballot. So my recommendation is.. if you see a leak with Skull kid, Ignore it. It's probably fake.

(No offense Skull Kid fans, I just don't see it happening...)
Alax honestly doesnt have much weight to his words when he said we'll get Kiddy Kong before Rex and Pyra. Also Shadow Mario.

That's uh... that's gonna be a big ****ing YIKES from me, dog.

PolarisJunkie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PolarisJunkie
3DS FC
0361-7305-7321
And those aren't completley indicative of what was on the ballot as a whole. Dark Samus was apparently very popular in the West according to Sakurai, but did you see her on any of those online polls? No. Therefore we can't really say for sure who won the ballot, only make educated guesses at best.
At this point since we have no idea truly how any character performed other than speculation, Sakurai could say Tina the Talking Taco had a massive amount of votes in the west and there would be nothing we could do to refute it.

Shroob

Sup?
I dunno. Skull Kid seemed pretty big back in '12 with the VG Tribune thing (over 1 million votes cast!). Sakurai himself explicitly had to stress he was not a playable character when he revealed his assist trophy. You don't do that unless you know a character's got a big fanbase.
As much as I want to like polls like this, bandwaggoning plays a huge part in online polls like this, and are highly susceptible to FOTM picks.

Need I remind everyone that UNDERTALE won Gamefaq's Greatest Game of All Time award once due to bandwaggoning iirc.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I wonder how you'll react to the actual roster.
People can hate on Icineroar all they want. He's a heel. The hate gives him more power.

Is he in? Don't know for sure. Probably not since the roster was chosen in 2015 or so. But I'd be happy if he was.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Just like you, I both agree and don't agree.

What I CAN say about the Chorus Kids is that they are more marketable, which I mean...just comes from the fact they're adorable. That said, I don't think that by itself gets you ahead in Smash Bros. if there's a more clear-cut frontliner. Like, Chocobo didn't became playable before Cloud.

That's not a perfect comparison, but I DO believe Joe is the obvious stand-out choice anyway. He's the only one to be in every game, and he's the main character of the very FIRST minigame.

Also...maybe it's a little weird, but as far as promotion goes...I always think of this:

It's JOE who's at the front. He's the face to me.
I definitely get where you're coming from. ( also you just reminded me that people requested a Chocobo for Smash back in the day, huh)
Yeah, it's undeniable that the Chorus Kids are definitely more suited for marketing and that Karate Joe definitely holds more importance over them and any other possible character.
And yeah, I'm not exactly sure on how people would feel about them if they were the only RH character for the series over Karate Joe unless they would be able to reference the other games. Which they probably lend themselves to more imo.

However, their popularity or appearance isn't the reason why I think that the Chorus Kids are going to get in.
It's the fact that they're listed on Gematsu and are practically unnamed in their own game.
It's not an obvious choice for Sakurai or anyone else to make. Sure, it's not impossible, but just unlikely. After all, back during Smash 4 days immediately after E3, I saw a lot of reactions to the Gematsu leak like "Where the hell do you even pull the Chorus Kids from? Who would even choose that?" Especially with people familiar with RH, I saw people say maybe they confused them with Marshal or that Karate Joe would have to be it.

Like for instance, even you and some other members of the forum said that you think Karate Joe would be the RH character and others I've seen mention the Tap-Trial Girl.
But no one really visualizes or discusses them, so I feel like it would have to be them.

I mean if they get in and Karate Joe doesn't get something outside of a basic trophy, that's a travesty.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Using hyperbole to combat hyperbole is never good. Sure, rumor bandwagoning is a thing and we have seen it before, and we are definitely seeing it now. But to suggest Skull Kid isn't or wasn't popular is revisionist, and making up arbitrary benchmarks isn't the best either.

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
As much as I want to like polls like this, bandwaggoning plays a huge part in online polls like this, and are highly susceptible to FOTM picks.

Need I remind everyone that UNDERTALE won Gamefaq's Greatest Game of All Time award once due to bandwaggoning iirc.
Even if that's the case, it means that Skull Kid's bandwagonning vastly predates loz. Skull Kid's hype is not new, any way you go about it.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
Still a fan/considers of Sylux after Ridley and Dark Samus...my man.

One day the boy'll be in more games. And maybe we'll be able to set mines everywhere.
Few years ago I've seen a theory about Sylux being in fact Samus lost brother it was kinda mind blowing.
Since then I want him so badly being this lost brother who got his mind so crush by what Ridley and other operation that perhaps the fed did to him, that he see the Fed and Samus as his sworn enemies.

Imagine the drama Samus realising that she had her brother here but can't save him. I want them to be a Shakespearian tragedy Sylux always fighting with Samus and having her trying everything she can to save him but fail.

Potato_

Smash Lord
At this point since we have no idea truly how any character performed other than speculation, Sakurai could say Tina the Talking Taco had a massive amount of votes in the west and there would be nothing we could do to refute it.
This is completley true, but I'm more inclined to believe Sakurai over the online polls, as he had direct access to the results.

Could he be misleading us? Sure, but I'm going to trust him on this one.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
I feel like there's a bit of of a fairly obvious newcomer from the Yoshi series we're missing...

And that's Yobby
For those unfamiliar with the Yoshi lore, Yobby is Yoshi's dad. He's terrifying and Yoshi loves him. Yoshi desperately tries to vie to his father's affection, but it met coldly. Despite this, Yobby is still very protective of his spawn, because he doesn't have anyone else. It's very sweet.
He has many moves, such as:
Neutral B: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA--

Up B: No escape

Side B: Side-Eye

Down B: Do it to Em.

Please consider Yobby while speculating
i see your horrible awful suggestion and I raise you Yobby's echo fighter

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Incineroar instead of... literally anyone else
Funny, cause I have the exact opposite desires. Not that I don't like Incineroar, I'd still be hype if he got in. Just, out of all the potential Pokemon in my head, he's probably at the bottom of my most wanted.

All the memes wrought by Incineroar could be brought forth by Buzzwole... but better. I also prefer Decidueye as a starter, but I also would prefer if it weren't a starter Pokemon.

Yep, my list is 3 deep. Unless we start counting the other Gens being possible. My preferred wrestler would be Hawlucha.

I don't consider Nihelego or Tapu Koko likely personally, nor do I really care for either as a fighter. I kinda see Nihelego working best as the Pokeball version of Metroid tbh lol

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I was playing some Wrecking Crew earlier and it got me thinking…we got the stage for that game in 4, yet the Eggplant Man never showed up as an enemy in Smash Run. They ought to make up for that, since that had a trophy way back in Melee.

Who are everyone's current top 3 most wanted characters?

Mine are

1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Black Shadow
3. Medusa
1. Shantae
2. Rayman
3. Dixie Kong

Shroob

Sup?
Even if that's the case, it means that Skull Kid's bandwagonning vastly predates loz. Skull Kid's hype is not new, any way you go about it.
I'm not saying he's never had his fanbase, because he has, I want him too.

But it EXPLODED after 8.8 due to the chairs and Loz going out about him being in.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Yeah... Skull Kid wasn't talked about until RelaxAlax Brought up the chairs... he wasn't even popular in the ballot. So my recommendation is.. if you see a leak with Skull kid, Ignore it. It's probably fake.

(No offense Skull Kid fans, I just don't see it happening...)
He was popular enough to be the first assist trophy announced for Smash 4.

We still haven’t seen him as an assist when most of the popular ones have already been deconfirmed.

We haven’t seen Young Link’s final smash, and that might be because they’re waiting for a tied reveal of Fierce Deity.

One reason he probably didn’t do that well in the ballot was because there are a bunch of other Zelda newcomers so the votes were spread out, but amongst the potential Zelda newcomers, he’s probably really up there.

There’s more than just “hahah the chairs” to the people predicting him. I’ve been predicting him ever since E3 when we first found out how this game is heavily based on fan-demands.

I don’t think he’s guaranteed, but given the current evidence, he’s the most likely Zelda newcomer in my eyes. Maybe behind Sheik echo Impa, but even then I see Skull Kid in first.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Few years ago I've seen a theory about Sylux being in fact Samus lost brother it was kinda mind blowing.
Since then I want him so badly being this lost brother who got his mind so crush by what Ridley and other operation that perhaps the fed did to him, that he see the Fed and Samus as his sworn enemies.

Imagine the drama Samus realising that she had her brother here but can't save him. I want them to be a Shakespearian tragedy Sylux always fighting with Samus and having her trying everything she can to save him but fail.
If this is true Ridley better be the one who gets to kill Sylux. Can't have someone else going around killing Samus' family :p

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Cranky gets in over Dixie. (Assuming his silhouette in Jungle Japes is gone)

How do y’all react?
If I'm being frank, I'd honestly prefer that.

Cranky would be AWESOME.

Dixie would too of course, but y'know.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Alax honestly doesnt have much weight to his words when he said we'll get Kiddy Kong before Rex and Pyra. Also Shadow Mario.

That's uh... that's gonna be a big ****ing YIKES from me, dog.
Alax, Rogersbase, and kinda Shofu are YouTube clowns.

Harsh?

Perhaps but hmmm.

Rogerbase-

Not picking on him but if you aren't well researched DON'T WASTE MY TIME

The other two have been suspect for various things similar to this.

Shout out to papagenos papagenos you're doing real work, keep it up.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
No lie, true story.

I legitimately voted for Cranky Kong in the Smash Ballot thinking “You know what? Why not just have Cranky as the 3rd DK character just cause?”

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Mine are

1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Black Shadow
3. Medusa
1: Brian(Quest 64)
2: Shadow
3: Fulgore

The latter two are hard to place, but until I play KI(Xbox One), I can't form a proper opinion on his newer version. That's not an issue with Shadow(I haven't seen him in Forces, but I've seen him in a ton more games due to Sonic having a lot more media/games than Killer Instinct ever did).

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
1. Dovahkiin
2. Tails
3. Urbosa or Midna
Which, it may be presumptuous of me, but I REALLY believe Chorus Kids is only because of Gematsu. Without Gematsu, they would just be one of dozens of Rhythm Heaven characters.

Meanwhile, if you play ANY Rhythm Heaven game, you will know Karate Joe, because he's IN every Rhythm Heaven game. That is not the case for Chorus Kids.

I know, at least, I wouldn't have thought of Chorus Kids without Gematsu. Joe is the true face of the series in my opinion.
Yeah, I gotta agree there. Rhythm Heaven is a huge series, but it's got an entirely rotating cast. The only one I've played was the Wii revision (fever?) and they weren't in it.

Also rhythm wrestler is obviously the best choice, zat true?

Still, I can't see how their gimmick (since they'd obviously have a gimmick) would work well in a fighting game. If you're trying to fight competitively, the whole point is using mindgames and trying to fake out your opponent...which'll be a bit tough if you have to do things in a predictable rhythm. I always thought a RH stage like WarioWare where you had to go for a rhythm minigame every so often would be the best representation. Not every series needs a character.

PolarisJunkie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PolarisJunkie
3DS FC
0361-7305-7321
This is completley true, but I'm more inclined to believe Sakurai over the online polls, as he had direct access to the results.

Could he be misleading us? Sure, but I'm going to trust him on this one.
Def. Although after we found out that Bayonetta most likely didn't win the Smash Ballot, I'm still a bit iffy on fully putting my trust there.

Shroob

Sup?
Alax, Rogersbase, and kinda Shofu are YouTube clowns.

Harsh?

Perhaps but hmmm.

Rogerbase-

Not picking on him but if you aren't well researched DON'T WASTE MY TIME

The two have been suspect for various things similar to this.
To be fair, most of Roger's picks are Vergeben based by the looks of it.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Here's a question. If Isaac is in Smash, who do you think would voice him.

I think Max Mittelman would be a good choice, personally.

Pakky

Smash Hero
To be fair, most of Roger's picks are Vergeben based by the looks of it.
Though knowing who owns :ultkrool:is a google search away.

Being informed today about character origin and abilties is easier than ever.

EVERYONE HAS A GOOD FAN WIKI

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Count the number of pages in Skull Kid's support thread before August. I think that should speak for itself.

Geno and Skull Kid are both characters who benefited from changing perspectives. Geno wasn't given the time of day until Ridley got in, then he became a character who many assume is "basically a lock at this point". Then Loz mentioned something about Skull Kid, people took note of the missing AT, and then he too became one of the most likely characters in the eyes of the public.

Opinions constantly change. Rex was once seen as likely, then Elma was seen as likely, and now people assume no Xenoblade characters will be added because we're only getting ballot choices.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If this is true Ridley better be the one who gets to kill Sylux. Can't have someone else going around killing Samus' family :p
That'd be funny, dark, but funny.

But remember that Sylux is supposed to hate the Galactic Federation as much as he hates Samus. Personally, I'm not huge on "long lost family member" in a lot of stories.

Personally, I'm betting that Sylux is probably some dude the Galactic Feds tried to make like Samus, but using their tech instead of Chozo tech. He does get strong, but get's messed up in the process and thus blames Samus as well, since, if she wasn't around, they wouldn't have experimented on him.

Last edited:

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Nothing so far. No smash news

Also. To pass the time i am making n64 goemon models. Because i cannot make highdef ones at all.
i remember somebody doing a bunch of Goemon 3D models for a musou mockup
really impressed on what they done, makes me wish i had more time to play more of the Goemon series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom