• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
You know what funny about a year ago people hated clones in the smashboards but now that they are called echo fighters now everyone wants more of them
If I had a dollar for every time someone said this exact same thing in this thread since I've been back, I'd be able to finally take the vacation that I want.

Why the hell does it matter if a charcter’s popularity is “bandwagon” ? If it will satisfy a lot of people why does it matter?
It doesn't matter, people just like being petty about what people like or how many people like something.

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
people discussing a character

Smashboards: Is this a bandwagon?
I think the implication is probably that Skull Kid became a meme, absorbing fans who don't really care about the character himself beyond his popularity factor.

Tingle's been deconfirmed. He is still a stage element in Great Bay; unlike the other characters spotted in the backgrounds of stages, Tingle actually affects Great Bay gameplay, by acting as a platform, and no character in the Zelda franchise could possibly replicate his function.

Thank god.
Probably, although there have been other precedents of characters that had previously appeared in stages also being playable characters, such as Dedede and Toon Link. Given Tingle's active role in the stage, however, as opposed to background cameo, I tend to agree with you. I do tend to prefer SK, There are other Zelda reps I prefer anyway, so yay for less competition.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Do research? And miss out on that timely specific ad-revenue?

Perish the thought.
It's embarrassing really.

He was one of the ones that was SUPER against :ultridley: back in the day.

The Gnoggin guy is pretty alright though his opinion against Springman was invalidated by :ultsimon::ultrichter:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Let's be ****ing honest.

I HIGHLY doubt people would be clamoring for Isabelle were it not for Verg.

I still see soo many people argue against her with the "She's a pacifist!" argument. She's basically the 'Shulk' of Gematsu, where people just 'expect' it to happen at this point.
Isabelle has been the most likeliest newcomer after Inkling way before the game was announced.
She just seems to have a big hatebase that likes to shove her as an Echo so she doesn't "steal" their favorites' "slot".

The Shulk comparison still stands because Shulk was considered likely long before Gematsu happened. Stop acting like they're fads that only grew because of leaks like Chorus Kids.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
"I personally haven't seen people clamoring for a character, therefore nobody was clamoring for that character until it was brought to my attention"

Shroob

Sup?
Isabelle has been the most likeliest newcomer after Inkling way before the game was announced.
She just seems to have a big hatebase that likes to shove her as an Echo so she doesn't "steal" their favorites' "slot".

The Shulk comparison still stands because Shulk was considered likely long before Gematsu happened. Stop acting like they're fads that only grew because of leaks like Chorus Kids.
I mean, before Gematsu, the general consensus of the fanbase was "What's a Shulk". It didn't help that getting a copy of Xenoblade was ridiculously hard either.

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
I think people are going overboard with the echo fighters like people are still asking for like 7 more echo fighters were gonna get like 3 more i feel max cause we already have like alot revealed for this game already

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I think people are going overboard with the echo fighters like people are still asking for like 7 more echo fighters were gonna get like 3 more i feel max cause we already have like alot revealed for this game already
We need at least one for every fighter.
Thanks for watchin'.

Chrono.

Let's be ****ing honest.

I still see soo many people argue against her with the "She's a pacifist!" argument. She's basically the 'Shulk' of Gematsu, where people just 'expect' it to happen at this point.
Eh, maybe. She's still one of the more popular Nintendo characters, so I imagine support would still be there. She got hit with the AT pretty early into Smash 4 so that obviously would cause things to not go well for her.

But for Smash Ultimate even before E3, support was always there.
Probably, although there have been other precedents of characters that had previously appeared in stages also being playable characters, such as Dedede and Toon Link. Given Tingle's active role in the stage, however, as opposed to background cameo, I tend to agree with you. I do tend to prefer SK, There are other Zelda reps I prefer anyway, so yay for less competition.
I think what sets Tingle apart from other stage elements is that he's an active "hazard" of the stage instead of just a static/non-intrusive background like Viridi, Knuckles and Conductor Link are.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I mean, before Gematsu, the general consensus of the fanbase was "What's a Shulk". It didn't help that getting a copy of Xenoblade was ridiculously hard either.
Well, there was this.

Moonfall is probably the reasoning behind Skull Kid IF he gets in.

Last edited:

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
I just hope that Nintendo dont abuse the echo fighter thing too much and make interesting chracthers with possibly unique moveset in too echo fighters that my one worry

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I just watched a video talking about a leak from some guy named Toenail. Have you guys heard anything about this?

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
Why the hell does it matter if a charcter’s popularity is “bandwagon” ? If it will satisfy a lot of people why does it matter?
I think what most people are worried about is fans clamoring for a certain character that doesn't hold interest for long, like a flavor of the months. They're concerned that the roster will look like fad characters, not characters with long-lasting appeal and creativity.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I just hope that Nintendo dont abuse the echo fighter thing too much and make interesting chracthers with possibly unique moveset in too echo fighters that my one worry
:ultdarksamus: too late :ultshadow:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I just watched a video talking about a leak from some guy named Toenail. Have you guys heard anything about this?
Isn’t that the one that said Sora without anything Disney related in his move set and that Riku would be his echo? Yeah I don’t buy it. It also lists Tapu Koko instead of Incineroar.

(Shame too, it’s the only elaborate leak as of late with Elma in it... :c )

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I think what most people are worried about is fans clamoring for a certain character that doesn't hold interest for long, like a flavor of the months. They're concerned that the roster will look like fad characters, not characters with long-lasting appeal and creativity.
The roster's already been picked, so if a character makes it in, it's not cause they were suddenly a meme during the development cycle of the game

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I think we'll get Isabelle, Shadow, Ken and possibly Impa. That would give us an even 10 echoes.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Let's be ****ing honest.

Isabelle has become the mascot of Animal Crossing ever since New Leaf, and this time, development on the game has started when that has been fully established.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I was looking for Isabelle in Smash way back when.

I think I said she was the character next to the Inklings that was the closest for a lock.

Let's see how things develop.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I did the same, but I got more out of Zelda than I did Odyssey.
Not much of a Zelda fan outside of Windwaker and A Link to the Past. BOTW also doesn't seem my kind of game. I love exploration, but within a set level rather than open world.

When Odyssey is done i am debating Tropical Freeze, Fortnite, FighterZ, or Saints Row but I have a feeling the Pro Controller will make the last three more enjoyable and I am only planning on getting that December 7th.

Shroob

Sup?
Isabelle has become the mascot of Animal Crossing ever since New Leaf, and this time, development on the game has started when that has been fully established.
And?

I still see way more people that don't like the idea of her than do. The only reason I personally feel like people have 'accepted' her as being in is due to Vergeben.

The exact same thing happened with Incineroar where no one would shut up about Decidueye, but as soon as he said Incineroar, suddenly all these Incineroar fans appear from nowhere.

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
The roster's already been picked, so if a character makes it in, it's not cause they were suddenly a meme during the development cycle of the game
Fair point, I could see it possibly affecting DLC though.

You know, if Sakurai spends his time perusing Smashboards to figure out character popularity.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
And?

I still see way more people that don't like the idea of her than do. The only reason I personally feel like people have 'accepted' her as being in is due to Vergeben.

The exact same thing happened with Incineroar where no one would shut up about Decidueye, but as soon as he said Incineroar, suddenly all these Incineroar fans appear from nowhere.
I agree with the Incineroar sentiment, but lol I can attest to people being nuts about secretary dog before Verg said anything at all.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Which is why comparisons to Shulk, a character from a game that's proved to be lasting now that Nintendo is treating his games as one of the big boys, is annoying to me as a Shulk fan :/

It's pretty obvious at this point Xenoblade isn't flavor of the month. And with the critical reception and fan campaigns around Xenoblade before Sm4sh, I don't think he was flavor of the month back then either. He was in the same position Inklings are now, and no one complains about them.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Not much of a Zelda fan outside of Windwaker and A Link to the Past. BOTW also doesn't seem my kind of game. I love exploration, but within a set level rather than open world.

When Odyssey is done i am debating Tropical Freeze, Fortnite, FighterZ, or Saints Row but I have a feeling the Pro Controller will make the last three more enjoyable and I am only planning on getting that December 7th.
You can literally download Fortnite right now on the Switch. also wew I don't trust Bamco with that FighterZ Switch servers

7982Brick

Smash Cadet
With all these so-called ”leaks” I'm just waiting for another ESRB leak to happen. It literally feels like when one leak is debunked 10 more appear on 4 chan.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
With all these so-called ”leaks” I'm just waiting for another ESRB leak to happen. It literally feels like when one leak is debunked 10 more appear on 4 chan.
That's what happens though. Always.
It's really easy to post **** on 4chan. I've even posted a leak on there.

D

Deleted member

Alax catches six Ls for dissing BWD.
I guarantee you Alax will find a way to say that Monika from Doki Doki Literature Club is more unique and deserving than Bandana Waddle Dee.

The sad part is that this isn't even a joke, because he'd no doubt do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom