• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayman001

Smash Cadet
I have to say, I kinda want to see CrashBoards come back again, just for the complaints.
No comment on the picture leak at all? I went through the last 15 pages or so just to repost them for you. I at least want acknowledgement. :upsidedown:

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
Okay, here's a fairly standard question: What are some of the weirdest characters/games you'd like to see be represented in non-playable roles?

My main one is the Uniracer - a one-off unicycle from a SNES-era game made by Nintendo of America and DMA Design, now known as Rockstar North. It was a knockoff of Sonic only realized in North America and the EU that I've never played personally, but it seems hillarious enough that I'd be interested in seeing it roll around as an assist trophy.

Otherwise, I'd be down for some Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE non-playable representation, as one of the three people in the world who enjoyed that game.
That's not happening due to the Disney lawsuit over Red's Dream, even if it was over 20 years ago because Disney.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
lol I forgot Little Mac in Brawl looked like this.

View attachment 160726

Yikes boo boo.

Still better than Fight Night Little Mac
I mean, that's sort of what NES Little Mac was like, though he's got a older looking face than he should have.

Honestly Punch-Out!! Wii's Little Mac is one of the best redesigns this side of Alpha Chun-Li. Who knew spiking up his hair, giving him a tan and a more cartoony face would fix so much.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Okay, here's a fairly standard question: What are some of the weirdest characters/games you'd like to see be represented in non-playable roles?

My main one is the Uniracer - a one-off unicycle from a SNES-era game made by Nintendo of America and DMA Design, now known as Rockstar North. It was a knockoff of Sonic only realized in North America and the EU that I've never played personally, but it seems hillarious enough that I'd be interested in seeing it roll around as an assist trophy.

Otherwise, I'd be down for some Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE non-playable representation, as one of the three people in the world who enjoyed that game.
Hmm... *thinks*

Here's a weird one for you: Paper Boy.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
TL;DR: Some characters deconfirmed now might still have a chance down the line if you don't let up your support.
This is why I’m not giving up on Meowth and Toad, especially Meowth. Even if I’m probably the last vocal supporter, I’m not giving up on that cat.

If Meowth cannot get in Smash alone, then maybe he needs his friends to help him break in Smash and steal a slot. And that’s why I started supporting Team Rocket, especially after Pokémon Let’s Go Pikachu/Eevee.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
Im grateful with these leaks/fakes/rumores hahahahaha make the wait more interesting

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

Foreman Spike just to see everyone's reaction

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Vector Man being an Assist Trophy or something. I played his games on that one Sonic Collection as a kid, and I thought they were pretty cool. Though I don't know if he's actually owned by Sega, who I'm pretty sure published it or Blue Sky, the developer. His games have some decent tracks too. Nothing that claps as hard as MM, Sonic or Castlevania, but some catchy 90's techno.

Same for Buck Bumble, I just want the main theme from that game on some stage, don't care which.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Of course, it'd be a no-brainer to add in a recent gen Pokemon, but you can't just rule everything out of Sakurai is willing to go THAT far. Not to mention with Sonic not even being a part of the project plan of Brawl's and being added mid-development and Roy being practically an advert, we've had instances to where we can't just rule stuff out just yet.
Besides Sonic being originally planned for Brawl, Sonic was the most requested character for Brawl by far, and is ****ing Sonic; Springman and Rex/Pyra aren't remotely comparable. Additionally just Sonic's inclusion delayed Brawl, and DLC wasn't possible on the Wii, so Sonic's inclusion was a then or never situation for Brawl. There's absolutely no rational reason that Sakurai would decide that Springman and Rex/Pyra are so essential in the base game that he would delay the game to rush them in instead of waiting for DLC where they're fully workable.

Roy is not a comparable situation, he was a last minute clone when Sakurai needed some workable clone candidates to beef up Melee's roster. So unless you think Sakurai is going to make Springman a Little Mac Echo or make Rex a Shulk Echo, Roy's situation is not comparable to theirs.

And if you think Sakurai knew of them and decided to reserve a slot for them back in December 2015 because Greninja, also remember Sakurai stated Greninja was an explicit exception because of Pokemon, while in the same interview stating that if Awakening released as little as six months later (where it released in Japan just one month before Smash 4's project plan was devised), Robin and Lucina probably wouldn't have been playable in Smash 4, whereas Fire Emblem was a long established franchise and of higher standing by May 2012 than Xenoblade was by December 2015.

Overall, people who still think Springman and Rex/Pyra will happen in the base game are blinded by recency bias, people only think they will be in now because of their very recently successful games and being the latest hotness, if Arms and Xenoblade 2 didn't have that success they would be barely brought up now, much like how no one brings up Henry Fleming as a realistic candidate and Chibi Robo is a niche pick at best. And back in December 2015 there would be no way to foretell if Arms/Xenoblade 2 were going to be million sellers with highly requested characters for Smash or be another Codename STEAM/Zip Lash. Not to mention it been made clear by this point that the roster selection for Ultimate is focused on fan requests, with Sakurai outright saying he deferred to the Ballot for selecting newcomers, so that is even less reason to think he gambled on completely new characters from a new IP and an at-best second tier series.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Vector Man being an Assist Trophy or something. I played his games on that one Sonic Collection as a kid, and I thought they were pretty cool. Though I don't know if he's actually owned by Sega, who I'm pretty sure published it or Blue Sky, the developer. His games have some decent tracks too. Nothing that claps as hard as MM, Sonic or Castlevania, but some catchy 90's techno.

Same for Buck Bumble, I just want the main theme from that game on some stage, don't care which.
*Sees Vector Man suggested*
*Remembers Comix Zone exists*
Hmm...
Sketch Turner... that'd be a weird, out of nowhere appearance. :laugh;

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Who would be the rep? The grim reaper?
I can see it now:

New Fighter: Bella Goth
1535674352563.jpeg

Specials:
Neutral: Flirt (paralyzes the enemy. Double effect on male characters)
Side: Slap (command grab where she slaps someone in the face repeatedly)
Down: Buy Mode (a random kitchen appliance spawns on top of the enemy)
Up: Alien Abduction (she floats up on a column of light)
Final Smash: Indoor Fireworks (she sets off a set of fireworks which land on the enemies and set them on fire)

On Reddit (again), I found this tier list, which averaged tier list placements for the demo characters, from the tier lists created by ESAM, ZeRo and M2K/Salem. I'm mostly certain these are not ordered within tiers, so keep that in mind.

I also get that this won't mean much, so please don't remind me.
High tier Link?
Top tier Pokémon Trainer?

I’ve never played high tier characters before...how weird is this gonna be?

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Question
What new final smash do you think these characters will get?
:ultpeach:
:ultdiddy:
:ultyoshi:
:ultdaisy:
:ultyounglink:
:ultlucario:
Sakurai only seems to be eliminating transformation final smashes and ones that take the user out of the fight for extended periods of time, so I only see Diddy Kong and Yoshi getting new ones. Everyone else there will get possibly tweaks to the ones they already have. Just a guess, naturally.

KMDP

Smash Legend
(she sets off a set of fireworks which land on the enemies and set them on fire)
When characters are set on fire by the effect of Bella's firework, they lose all player control and just stand there screaming until they die.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Question
:ultpeach: - Emotions from SPP
:ultdiddy: - Maybe a Diddy/Dixie tag team
:ultyoshi: - G I A N T E G G
:ultdaisy: - Emotions but copied
:ultyounglink: - Fierce Diety
:ultlucario: - Brawl Lucario but its the Mega form doing it

LetterO

Smash Lord
Looking back at Smash 4 updates feels super weird. Yoshi and Sheik weren't revealed to actually be returning until the April 8th direct, and neither was Captain Falcon until a year after Smash 4's inital e3 trailer. Characters like Ness, Jigglypuff, Game & Watch, and R.O.B. weren't even revealed officially.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
At the very least I would love for Peach to have a Super Princess Peach-themed Final Smash
I just want Peach to get a new Neutral Special move.

Replace Toad with Perry. And give back her old grabs/throws.

So Toad can be a playable fighter.

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai only seems to be eliminating transformation final smashes and ones that take the user out of the fight for extended periods of time, so I only see Diddy Kong and Yoshi getting new ones. Everyone else there will get possibly tweaks to the ones they already have. Just a guess, naturally.
Lucario had a transformation one, and Peach's slows down the battle. Other 2 never had one

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I can see it now:

View attachment 160732
Specials:
Final Smash: Indoor Fireworks (she sets off a set of fireworks which land on the enemies and set them on fire)

High tier Link?

That final smash. I see you too were a man of culture psychopath in the making

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The internet is a strange and dangerous place, I googled ZSS with google safe search on to see if the ultimate look actually matched the SR design... *Thousand yard stare and PTSD flashbacks*
I stopped trusting safe search a looooooooooooong time ago. Never look up any of the space furries.

Even some of the technically-not-lewd stuff can be really disturbing. Why is there always an exaggeratedly obese version of every character I look up so high up on the results?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I stopped trusting safe search a looooooooooooong time ago. Never look up any of the space furries.

Even some of the technically-not-lewd stuff can be really disturbing. Why is there always an exaggeratedly obese version of every character I look up so high up on the results?
I can attest to that :yoshi:

Noipoi

Howdy!

On Reddit (again), I found this tier list, which averaged tier list placements for the demo characters, from the tier lists created by ESAM, ZeRo and M2K/Salem. I'm mostly certain these are not ordered within tiers, so keep that in mind.

I also get that this won't mean much, so please don't remind me.
Inkling is high tier
Pokemon Trainer is top tier
Both my planned mains are high tier

It's over for you lads.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Question
Couldn't Lucario's Brawl Final Smash work? Just have it use the Mega form?

Peach SHOULD get something from her own game. Like Joy to knock people into the air, then Anger to send them flying right after.

Yoshi's could be a B I G E G G. Or a Yoshi Stampede. Y'know like Tron's super in MVC2, where a bunch of Servbots run over the opponent.

Young Link SHOULD be the Fierce Deity Mask, just as a Cutscene super or like Zero's Level 3 in Marvel 3.

Diddy's can be re purposed as something similar, but as a quick cutscene super if need be.

Would be cool if Daisy used the plane from Mario Land herself or that Crystal Punch thing from Strikers Charged.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Daisy's Final Smash
She takes a big, deep breath, and shouts -
HI, I'M DAISY!
- at speaker distorting volume. It's effect is sort of like the effect you get when 5-Volt catches you in the Gamer stage.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Aero the Acro-Bat, so that nearly everyone would go "literally who?" at a character that actually used to be a mascot for Sunsoft in the US.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I'm not even part of the CV community but just seeing the non-existing talk of Lords of Shadows tells me it doesn't actually exist.
Lords of shadow is a ... strange thing...

Is not terrible, and in fact once all have been said and done, Lord of shadows 1 is a genuine good game. with a spin off story that was going places. The problem with LoS one is that feels more akin to god of war than castlevania, and even if the climbings section were a good pace changers for the "battle arenas" style of gameplay, they were heavily scripted and linear, meaning that there was 0 plataforming.

The game is beautiful, the animators knew what they were doing and the game is actually quite big. the monster variety was sometimes lacking, but the combat was actually very well though off.
Another problem teh game have is it's soundtrack. Is not bad, but Oscar isn't a videogame composer, he is a film's composer and he did a film's OST. that and seriously the ammount of musical pieces simply pales along the scope of the game, meaning that the tunes get reused severla times. Cheapening some of the impact they could have had. And a Castlevania game with not amazing music is.... unheard of... even the most ****tiest Castlevania games had memorable music (haunted castle), and usually they were composed with a clear method in mind (a blend of baroque music and pop/rock structures) and this was utterly ignored while doing the music, while failing to propose something else with the same weight.

Then again, overall the quality of LoS 1 was very good, and set up pretty decently for what was supposed to be a duology... then the sequels happened.

Mirror of fate is a pretty game, don't get me wrong, and some of the pieces this time were better designed for being Videogame music rather than movie OST. the idea of teh 3 characters was interesting and while the HD remake is cool, honestly i like a lot what they managed to do with the 3ds 3d effect. BUT..
Gameplay wise is terrible :/ they just slapped the LoS formula into a 2d metroidvania and simply didn't worked. there werent save points but autosaves, annoying sequences, and the combat could be resumed into midlessly spamming one button.

And then... LoS 2 happened. what was supposed to be the finale, the brooch to wrap the duology had a very troubled development, and is actually a shame because there is a lot of talent poured into that game, the animators, the map makers, etc... and actually the combat system kept was was best of the first game and expanded on it tastefully. along with an actual metroidvania style map that make a way better mixture of the combat arenas with the climbing exploration.

the sad part is that this sound amazing, and then, the game proceeds to shoots itself on the feet... repeatedly First, the first game problem with little enemy variety comes back, and now is even worse... which is a shame cause if they would resused the first game enemies to enchance the monster roster would have helped... and then out of nowhere you are being forced to run the crappiest stealth sequences trough the game because reasons... (even if noone in the development team actually seems to like them, but there was a director's decision)

And then we go to the Story and plot... which is basically a butchering of everything you could managed to care about the other games. plot twists thrown just because, plotholes everywhere, some characters have the stupidiest though process ever concieved so the plot can move forward. forced decisions, campy ending, etc... is like ending a orchestral tragic opera with a kazooie. which helped greatly into being forgotten.

The most annoying part is that if you take out the stealth parts, is actually a very enjoyable game it could not only been a great castlevania game, but an amazing ps3 gen game... but simply it doesn't wants to. :/ 7/10 i think is a good score. the game is NOT bad. but you will end dissapointed. still, if you are like.. super into gothic castle, and maybe some vapire chronicles stuff, is worth trying.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I can see it now:

View attachment 160732
Specials:

High tier Link?

Ok this is my new favorite character and I have so much to say.

Bella Goth, iconic, love it.
Make Flirt have the same effect on all genders, this is 2018 Sims don't judge no more.
Slap, the most iconic Sim attack. However it should be a never ending jab, instead the side b command grab should be the "Fight" action that creates a cartoon ball of dust. Or Maybe that's her grab? Open for thoughts.
Buy Mode, more than just kitchen and I'm good.
Aliens, love it, gotta have it.

Ok the firework thing, that touched me in a personal spot and I had to make this post for it. As a kid I didn't realize they would start a fire indoors. I still remember being scared as **** when I set off like 3 at once indoors. Best Final Smash.

Bella Goth for 2018. Top Tier. Only ***** that can take down the witch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom