• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I wonder what kind of reaction this would have gotten if it hit 4chan around March:

View attachment 160744
Bias for wanting King K. Rool alone would force me to want to believe this.
I'm sure this image would be scrutinized under a harsh lens since image leaks are easy to disprove once the reference render is found.

But after a day or two and no reference render is found and we compare the renders amongst the other I'd say this supposed leak would have at least some merit.

Where this (the leak that this mock up is referencing) leak falls short for me are the couple of reference renders for Isabelle and Skull Kid seem highly similar.
And the model quality for the Shadow and Agenes(?) look a bit off.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Like I said time and time again, Sakurai could literally throw Shadow in over Tails, and that'd be it. I would be extremely wrong and he would be thrown in the game. I wouldn't be losing any sleep over it, nor do I think I could predict what he will actually do. Only going off of things that have been observable so far.
Just all I'm saying is the common ideas that goes for Shadow's inclusion could literally be used for Tails. Unique Up-B, animations, taunts, etc.
But Tails does have the seniority, iconography, and amount of fans for him in order to get in, it may not be as vocal and vast as Shadow's, but they are there. (Also Juri isn't really a no name in the realm of fighting games, she's quite popular. Now outside of that, definitely not. Same could probably be said about Shadow, if you're not familiar with platformers or the modern series itself, you could probably not know who he is. But I digress.)
And I mean we did get Simon as the actual fighter instead of Richter or Trevor Belmont, or even Alucard. Despite two out of three making an appearance. So it does seem that Sakurai leans on seniority and iconography rather than popularity.
But I already stated my points and made myself clear, I feel like I'm just repeating what I already spoke on.
Call me crazy, but I don't honestly see why we can't have both. Tails could be a unique fighter that takes cues from Sonic while still taking advantage of his unique abilities. Shadow could be a Chrom-esque echo where he uses Sonic's basic moveset but borrows thematic abilities from some other fighters or has his own.

Honestly, I think they're a package deal. Tails is one of the most well known sidekicks in all of gaming. Heck, ever since Sonic 2 he's been there, either as playable or as support save a few oddball instances. Even with all the forgettable friends Tails sticks out because he's the original buddy.

Likewise, a Shadow echo probably wouldn't take too long. The body proportions are the exact same and Shadow was quite literally designed as a mirror of Sonic. He only gained his unique powers later on in the series but even then he's supposed to be Sonic's darker equal.

Smash Ultimate really does seem like it's trying to be the definitive, end-all-be-all game. Shadow without Tails is a glaring omission. It would be like leaving Luigi out but adding in Wario. Given the attention to detail, general level of fanservice, and the apparent desire to flesh out the series that are already here, I think Tails and Shadow are highly likely. Not a lock, but very possible.

Then again, I'm one person with an opinion so take that as you will.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Oh...

Oh....

Am I the Lara Croft guy?

Like I was the Bayo guy last time?

You know what happened last time?

I'm not saying it's true.

But it's true.

Lara Croft for Smash Ultimate DLC. :troll:
That’s something needed. One of the last gaming icons not in Smash yet...and a bad*** who just so happens to be a female
What's all this about ESRB having rated the game already? This would be huge if true yet I can't find anything about Ultimate on the ESRB website
It says E10+ on the Smash website (trust the real source and not the sinful leaker company)
Just so long as original Lara is an option.

Also, add Lara Croft to the list of characters who should get multiple Stamina Mode death animations (along with Crash and Bubsy)
Original Lara as the starter costume and reboo Lara as the alt

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Do not understand
Its just the website being updated. They removed all of the "New" descriptions over the most of the options. They also removed the section of new pokemon and AT's that were to the right of their pages when you clicked on them.

Could mean something in the near future, probably won't be though.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
This might ruffle some feathers and tick some of the other oldies off but....

In terms of iconic-ness, Banjo and Kazooie are essentially the same tier as Bayonetta. :ultbayonetta:

• Both series are critical darlings
  • Both series sold well
  • Both series are beloved by Nintendo fans, but are generally unknown to the public at large
  • Both series are seen as among the best of their genre (3D Platformers and Action Games)
  • Both series have incredibly passionate and dedicated fans
  • Both series have leads that couldn't be mistaken for anyone else
  • Both series even had games that were partially made by Nintendo
Really, both characters are Nintendo fan favorites but not much else. Banjo is only iconic to Nintendo fans, as is Bayonetta. They're simply iconic to different eras with Banjo and Kazooie being fairly big in the N64 era and Bayonetta being fairly big in the Wii U and Switch era.

And that's not a bad thing. Not every third party needs to be some super iconic character that everyone will know.
But one major difference is that one series is Japanese and the other series is not. Stop far, when referring to characters, every series in Smash is Japanese (not every character, but every series). I'm not sure if Sakurai wants to put characters from non Japanese series in the game.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
But one major difference is that one series is Japanese and the other series is not. Stop far, when referring to characters, every series in Smash is Japanese (not every character, but every series). I'm not sure if Sakurai wants to put characters from non Japanese series in the game.
I....

wasn't....

talking about that.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Ah, it's the same on mobile but I see the difference on desktop view. Intresting. Mayne making changes to add more Pokemon/assists after a new direct?

Hopefully them changing up the site means more changes coming soon

KMDP

Smash Legend
I think I asked this, but everyone completely misunderstood me, what completely never-gonna-happen picks would you like to see?
As an example, the more I think about it the more the following grows on me, Marshmello for smash ultimate DLC.
(I've thought about that one way too much, I'm even stewing over the details of a support thread)
To add to my list, Monika from DDLC, Cuphead from his self-titled game, and Sakurai along with a Reggie echo
Additionally, a home stage for each could include: Joytime (Mello) The Literature Club (Monika), a Stage that shifts though each of the different Cuphead boss fights, and Nintendo headquarters (Sakurai/Reggie)
Opossum Opossum has Merric, and I have Charlotte.

Charlotte is never gonna happen. Unless Sakurai had a brief brain aneurysm while doing the Project Proposal and decided to add some nobody border guard recruitable character from Fire Emblem Fates over literally anyone else. :laugh:

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
didnt the photoshopped little mac wasa form of damage control when the image got leaked? like some of teh guys that knew the leaker tried to mount a process in which he procedeed to photoshop little mac into shulk? or that was false?

cothero

Smash Lord
Are you guys aware that the new Square Enix rep that Vergeben talked about could be Lara Croft? That makes sense considering how Sakurai is focusing in add iconic characters and all this thing about video game history.

D

Deleted member

didnt the photoshopped little mac wasa form of damage control when the image got leaked? like some of teh guys that knew the leaker tried to mount a process in which he procedeed to photoshop little mac into shulk? or that was false?
That would be interesting if that's why that whole thing was started. The ESRB Leak is such an interesting piece of Smash history. Did we ever get the full story on how/why it happened?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Considering Sakurai's penchant for making sure characters follow their most iconic designs, I can't see new trilogy Lara getting in.
I actually would love to see Lara Croft (original design) get in Smash. She’s a PS1 icon along with Snake and Cloud.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
That would be interesting if that's why that whole thing was started. The ESRB Leak is such an interesting piece of Smash history. Did we ever get the full story on how/why it happened?
IIRC it was someone at the ESRB who showed the video to a friend, and that friend showed it to their friends, and somewhere along the line it got posted to 4chan and then it was blown wide open.

Could be wrong, though.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Call me crazy, but I don't honestly see why we can't have both. Tails could be a unique fighter that takes cues from Sonic while still taking advantage of his unique abilities. Shadow could be a Chrom-esque echo where he uses Sonic's basic moveset but borrows thematic abilities from some other fighters or has his own.

Honestly, I think they're a package deal. Tails is one of the most well known sidekicks in all of gaming. Heck, ever since Sonic 2 he's been there, either as playable or as support save a few oddball instances. Even with all the forgettable friends Tails sticks out because he's the original buddy.

Likewise, a Shadow echo probably wouldn't take too long. The body proportions are the exact same and Shadow was quite literally designed as a mirror of Sonic. He only gained his unique powers later on in the series but even then he's supposed to be Sonic's darker equal.

Smash Ultimate really does seem like it's trying to be the definitive, end-all-be-all game. Shadow without Tails is a glaring omission. It would be like leaving Luigi out but adding in Wario. Given the attention to detail, general level of fanservice, and the apparent desire to flesh out the series that are already here, I think Tails and Shadow are highly likely. Not a lock, but very possible.

Actually, your stance is exactly what mine is. My original post, which is quite a few pages back now, stated that I thought if we get Shadow, we'll also get the fox.
My point was that we wouldn't get Shadow without getting Tails in some regard, as he's Sonic's partner in crime. One is way more iconic as opposed to Shadow, despite the popularity that he harbors.
I always thought if not Tails, it's Knuckles and vice versa. Now given the echidna is an AT, I think it's more likely for Tails.

I just think if Shadow's AT wasn't missing or if it wasn't in the previous games, he wouldn't be brought up as much as he is now.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Lara is an interesting choice. I'm still of the opinion that the Nintendo theme is still there, and it'd go against that, but if Smash ever crosses the line where I consider it a general gaming crossover she would need to be one of the first additions. Although I'll abandon the boards if she's ever added cuz I can't deal with another argument over if a character's boobs are big enough.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
On that Mimique guy and whether he is passing off real leaks as "predictions", we do have precedence of that having happened before; when Sal Romano posted the first part of the Gematsu Leaks he did so as an "unlikely prediction" in a Neogaf thread, so it could certainly possibly happen again. The main thing I find curious about him is him "predicting" a Rathalos AT just a week before the August Direct, that is absolutely not something I seen anyone bringing up anywhere prior. Saying bring everyone back a couple weeks before E3, Shovel Knight AT, and Final Smash meters are also interesting things.

Definitely going to keep an eye out for him.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Doubt we will get the real story since the guy involved would have to out himself as the leaker.

I wonder if he actually got caught.

Enchess

Smash Lord
On that Mimique guy and whether he is passing off real leaks as "predictions", we do have precedence of that having happened before; when Sal Romano posted the first part of the Gematsu Leaks he did so as an "unlikely prediction" in a Neogaf thread, so it could certainly possibly happen again. The main thing I find curious about him is him "predicting" a Rathalos AT just a week before the August Direct, that is absolutely not something I seen anyone bringing up anywhere prior. Saying bring everyone back a couple weeks before E3, Shovel Knight AT, and Final Smash meters are also interesting things.

Definitely going to keep an eye out for him.
Someone ask him if he thinks Mio Amakura is happening. Asking for a friend.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Heck, ever since Sonic 2 he's been there, either as playable or as support save a few oddball instances.
Those oddball instances being SEGASonic The Hedgehog, Sonic Labyrinth and Sonic Blast.

He’s only missed 3 games since his debut. Tails should win an award for good attendance.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ok this is my new favorite character and I have so much to say.

Bella Goth, iconic, love it.
Make Flirt have the same effect on all genders, this is 2018 Sims don't judge no more.
Slap, the most iconic Sim attack. However it should be a never ending jab, instead the side b command grab should be the "Fight" action that creates a cartoon ball of dust. Or Maybe that's her grab? Open for thoughts.
Buy Mode, more than just kitchen and I'm good.
Aliens, love it, gotta have it.

Ok the firework thing, that touched me in a personal spot and I had to make this post for it. As a kid I didn't realize they would start a fire indoors. I still remember being scared as **** when I set off like 3 at once indoors. Best Final Smash.

Bella Goth for 2018. Top Tier. Only ***** that can take down the witch.
Yes! Equality! The guys want her! The girls want her! Everyone wants Bella!

Bella's so hot, even the animals want her!

Meet your new Top Tier goddess!
Icon_Bella.png

...Ok that was way too much fun. I kinda wouldn't mind seeing this now.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Actually, your stance is exactly what mine is. My original post, which is quite a few pages back now, stated that I thought if we get Shadow, we'll also get the fox.
My point was that we wouldn't get Shadow without getting Tails in some regard, as he's Sonic's partner in crime. One is way more iconic as opposed to Shadow, despite the popularity that he harbors.
I always thought if not Tails, it's Knuckles and vice versa. Now given the echidna is an AT, I think it's more likely for Tails.

I just think if Shadow's AT wasn't missing or if it wasn't in the previous games, he wouldn't be brought up as much as he is now.
Yeah, tails is definitely more iconic. Very few characters really exemplify sidekicks like Tails and Luigi.

Shadow is important for other reasons, good or ill, but I have to tip it in favor of the character who was Sega's original Player 2.

Still, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it's just Shadow. I don't think Sakurai would just leave Sonic hanging like that given the intense focus on "Everyone is here" but hey, we said Wolf was a lock for 4 and that he couldn't possibly leave out K. Rool but he did. Anything can happen.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I actually would love to see Lara Croft (original design) get in Smash. She’s a PS1 icon along with Snake and Cloud.
Imagine seeing that. Cloud vs Lara vs Snake.

Then imagine Crash also got in.

It'd be the literal perfect Playstation All Stars battle, but in Smash.

Sakurai:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
This might ruffle some feathers and tick some of the other oldies off but....

In terms of iconic-ness, Banjo and Kazooie are essentially the same tier as Bayonetta. :ultbayonetta:

• Both series are critical darlings
  • Both series sold well
  • Both series are beloved by Nintendo fans, but are generally unknown to the public at large
  • Both series are seen as among the best of their genre (3D Platformers and Action Games)
  • Both series have incredibly passionate and dedicated fans
  • Both series have leads that couldn't be mistaken for anyone else
  • Both series even had games that were partially made by Nintendo
Really, both characters are Nintendo fan favorites but not much else. Banjo is only iconic to Nintendo fans, as is Bayonetta. They're simply iconic to different eras with Banjo and Kazooie being fairly big in the N64 era and Bayonetta being fairly big in the Wii U and Switch era.

And that's not a bad thing. Not every third party needs to be some super iconic character that everyone will know.
I think you're downplaying the first Bayonetta's popularity outside of Nintendo circles a bit. Its was a moderate hit at most, but I think a lot of the notoriety the series enjoys within certain hardcore circles was built before Nintendo got involve with the series.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Shadow’s AT is missing, Tails isn’t from the back of GHZ
Yeah but Knuckles is still there despite being an AT and Alfonzo pretty much sunk disconfirmation via background appearances. Plus, it's an old stage and it probably wasn't worth going back and removing assets if they could just put a switch in there that says "If Tails is a fighter then don't spawn him in the loop."

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Also Samus vs Peach vs Lara vs Chun Li is a female thing I really really really want to see in Smash one day.

That's another thing that NEEDS to happen.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
On the topic of faces that look wrong in Smash, the Pokemon Trainer looks ridiculous. I don't know what's changed since Brawl but he somehow looks even sillier then he did back then. Why is their nose almost nonexistent? At least I can escape from that awful voice by playing the female trainer, but I'll never escape the face.

Although I suppose it could be worse. They could have the souless, unchanging smile of a certain other trainer.

Although this kid does still have a clearly visible nose...

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

Adding to the fact that Sakurai seem's to be breaking "fan made trends" every time he announces something.

"Impossible to have a full cast, too much work" - No cuts
"No way irrelevant characters get into this game" - Proceeds to put Simon and K. Rool in this game.
"A 3rd party series won't get 2 characters"- Richter
"BUT, a 3rd party series can't get 3 characters"......

I'm all for it if it means Sakurai can break this logic too.

Additionally, I also think this is the end-all-be-all game. Between the base and DLC, I have a feeling we are going to get a lot more characters than we expect, unique and echo fighters together. Personally speaking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom