• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
The assumptions in this post, are astounding. Don't mean to be rude, but...no, no this is...not gonna happen.
It doesn't matter if this system seller misses Black Friday. It's still gonna be selling systems. Also, notice how no delay ever happened to Smash 4? Sakurai learned from Brawl.
For the 3DS version, "Summer" turned into October 3rd. In that instance, I imagine October 3rd was given as the worst case scenario date and it just so happened to pan out as the worst case scenario. I feel as if this time around, the game is coming along faster, and we won't pan out into the worst case scenario. Honestly your point about sakurai learning from Brawl just solidifies my own

LetterO

Smash Lord
The assumptions in this post, are astounding. Don't mean to be rude, but...no, no this is...not gonna happen.
It doesn't matter if this system seller misses Black Friday. It's still gonna be selling systems. Also, notice how no delay ever happened to Smash 4? Sakurai learned from Brawl.
Smash 3DS was delayed from Summer 2014 to October.

EDIT: ive been greninja'd

Last edited:

RoysOurBoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5238-5359
Yeah but Knuckles is still there despite being an AT and Alfonzo pretty much sunk disconfirmation via background appearances. Plus, it's an old stage and it probably wasn't worth going back and removing assets if they could just put a switch in there that says "If Tails is a fighter then don't spawn him in the loop."
Assist trophies aren’t even comparable to characters as far as showing up in the background of stages. If this was about Tails possibly being an assist trophy, then yes I think it’s still possible. the only playable character who does is Toon Link and a pixilated DeDeDe and I barely count dedede because that’s a 64 stage and they purposely left the 64 stages like how they originally appeared. And I am 100% convinced that if Tails was playable they would have removed him from GHZ, or at the very least not had GHZ in the demo for us to see him in the background. Dark Samus’s and Chrom’s costumes were removed from the game, they would certainly remove tails from the background if he was playable. They wouldn’t let a character be shown who they want to hype up, especially a third party like Tails.

Don’t get me wrong, I completely agree with you that Tails is probably the most deserving second Sonic rep, I just think that there’s enough evidence to deconfirm him at this point.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
He is not an actual leaker.

I am on his Discord server mostly for speculation purposes, and his predictions come from forming his own critical thoughts on the matter. As to why he thought of a Ratholos AT, here is what he said to me just now:

"basic logic was monhunter is too dynamic for the role with all the customization and how speciifcally your character's movement changes to work as a character. but monster hunter was a really frequent collaboration with nintendo etc etc. so i'd assume a monster would represent the game better than a hunter"

He knows his speculation stuff very well, and is willing to go beyond just newcomers to predict, thinking further outside the box to critically think about possible Assist Trophies. Mimique is no leaker, he is just very good at predictions.
I've asked him in there about it in the discord too. He's just an average guy like the rest of us, but he knows his Smash and Nintendo history.

Seriously though, pay attention to Mimique and his reasons for why he believes characters and things will be included. So far his track record is near perfect, and no thats not because he's some sort of magical prophet, but because Sakurai seems to be taking the "Ultimate" title very literally. He's giving the majority of people what they want. No cuts, adding in Ridley and K. Rool, giving games like Shovel Knight representation are no mere coincidence. You can tell the man is truly trying to make this the Ultimate crossover experience.

I would not be surprised if another 50-70% of Mimique's character predictions and reasoning's are spot on. He may just be on the same thought process as Sakurai about including characters.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm surprised HE hasn't been announced yet, he's Nintendo exclusive AND is the visual-novel man himself.
Well, he's Capcom. Let's look at all the other Nintendo detectives we have to offe-

Dang I want me that nice ****ing pencil sketch aesthetic not gonna lie.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Assist trophies aren’t even comparable to characters as far as showing up in the background of stages. If this was about Tails possibly being an assist trophy, then yes I think it’s still possible. the only playable character who does is Toon Link and a pixilated DeDeDe and I barely count dedede because that’s a 64 stage and they purposely left the 64 stages like how they originally appeared. And I am 100% convinced that if Tails was playable they would have removed him from GHZ, or at the very least not had GHZ in the demo for us to see him in the background. Dark Samus’s and Chrom’s costumes were removed from the game, they would certainly remove tails from the background if he was playable. They wouldn’t let a character be shown who they want to hype up, especially a third party like Tails.

Don’t get me wrong, I completely agree with you that Tails is probably the most deserving second Sonic rep, I just think that there’s enough evidence to deconfirm him at this point.
Ridley, Dedede, and Toon Link all appear in the background and it hasn't meant disconfirmation. Heck we saw Spirit Train before Toon Link was even announced to return and people said instantly "Toon Link disconfirmed!" But he wasn't. None of them were. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that a legacy stage was ported over, cameos and all, and for said cameos just treated like the others whenever Tails would join the battle.

And Knuckles does matter because he has an elevated role now. He still runs through that shuttle loop anyways.

I don't see it as meaning much.

KMDP

Smash Legend
The only time a lawyer can cry is when it's all over...
"The worst of times are when you have to force your biggest smiles."

I'm actually shocked the "cry" line never made an appearance in Apollo Justice to Spirit of Justice, ever.

It was such a big thing in Trials and Tribulations, you'd think Phoenix would have carried it with him... oh well...

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I think I asked this, but everyone completely misunderstood me, what completely never-gonna-happen picks would you like to see?
As an example, the more I think about it the more the following grows on me, Marshmello for smash ultimate DLC.
(I've thought about that one way too much, I'm even stewing over the details of a support thread)
To add to my list, Monika from DDLC, Cuphead from his self-titled game, and Sakurai along with a Reggie echo
Additionally, a home stage for each could include: Joytime (Mello) The Literature Club (Monika), a Stage that shifts though each of the different Cuphead boss fights, and Nintendo headquarters (Sakurai/Reggie)
Professor E Gadd, I just think the moveset would be extremely fun and creative. And also Melia from Xenoblade Chronicles cause she's one of my favourite characters period and also the moveset would be awesome.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
"The worst of times are when you have to force your biggest smiles."

I'm actually shocked the "cry" line never made an appearance in Apollo Justice to Spirit of Justice, ever.

It was such a big thing in Trials and Tribulations, you'd think Phoenix would have carried it with him... oh well...
I mean, I'd imagine Phoenix had other things on his mind, what with being accused of forgery, suddenly getting a daughter...

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I think I asked this, but everyone completely misunderstood me, what completely never-gonna-happen picks would you like to see?
As an example, the more I think about it the more the following grows on me, Marshmello for smash ultimate DLC.
(I've thought about that one way too much, I'm even stewing over the details of a support thread)
To add to my list, Monika from DDLC, Cuphead from his self-titled game, and Sakurai along with a Reggie echo
Additionally, a home stage for each could include: Joytime (Mello) The Literature Club (Monika), a Stage that shifts though each of the different Cuphead boss fights, and Nintendo headquarters (Sakurai/Reggie)
Need I bring this picture up again?

But other than that, Mike Jones

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Well, I'm sure by now that the Smash leak is pretty much disconfirmed...

In other news my Deathborn Cult Fan Club is growing large by a lot, so I guess I'm underestimating how much people actually like Deathborn around here...

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Shadow’s AT is missing, Tails isn’t from the back of GHZ
I literally said if it wasn't missing.

Okay, enough of the hedgehog.( Have at you! )
Was there any widely speculated characters that were considered "locks" that got disconfirmed during Smash 4?
Zoroark is the only one that I can think of rn.

D

Deleted member

Let's just post characters that you know for a fact will NEVER make it in but still want to see regardless

Words could not describe how happy I would be if this happened. Quite possibly the only character next to Skull Kid that would get me more hyped than the Inklings did.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Guys why are we still discussing Banjo vs Rayman?

We need to make this a triple threat match for the 3rd party championship by adding Crash onto it fam

Crash vs Banjo vs Rayman? YES PLEASE!

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
Could anyone hit me up on the reason for all this talk throughout the Internet surrounding a Nintendo Direct in September? I just wanted to know because I haven't been keeping up as much as I did before, which I'll blame on getting back to school this week.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
I literally said if it wasn't missing.

Okay, enough of the hedgehog.( Have at you! )
Was there any widely speculated characters that were considered "locks" that got disconfirmed during Smash 4?
Zoroark is the only one that I can think of rn.
Wolf is the only widely accepted lock I can really think of besides maybe Lucas but he ended up being DLC so

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo probably doesn't feel the need to bend a worldwide release to an American phenomenon.
Black Friday is gigantic for sales and America is a gigantic part of the market. Let's not forget thT the Wii U version was released early, a week before Black Friday internationally, yet a week after for Japan. Black Friday is a big deal.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Let's just post characters that you know for a fact will NEVER make it in but still want to see regardless
803Poipole.png
Poipole is the fighter we don't deserve. Literally the best Pokemon of all time.
Poipole is where the "poi" part of my name comes from!
Maxwell.png
Maxwell would be pretty cool too, I played a ton of Scribblenauts as a kid.

Cooking Mama Bon Appetite  illu 1.jpg

Look me dead in the eyes and tell me Cooking Mama wouldn't be the best addition to the roster. That's right. You can't.

KMDP

Smash Legend
You know, I joked before about Daisy having a Final Smash where she yells "Hi, I'm Daisy", and then linked it to Kirby...

But if I'm being serious? The Mic Item from Kirby would actually be a cool item in Smash (It was an item in Kirby's Dream Land before it was a power-up in later games).

Also, it'd be funny seeing (and hearing) characters yelling into a stage microphone.

Some examples, for fun.
:ultmario:: HEY STINKY! -STINKY -STINKY -STINKY -STINKY | WAHOO! -AHOO! -AHOO! -AHOO! -AHOO!
:ultlink:: HYEEEEAAAAAAAAH! -YAAAH -YAAAH -YAAAH -YAAH
:ultpikachu:: PIKA-CHUUUUU! -CHUUUU! -CHUUUU! -CHUUU! CHUUU!
:ultsonic:: YOU'RE TOO SLOW! SLOW! SLOW! SLOW! SLOW!
:ultkirby:: *Original Mic Sound from KDL* | DORYAA! -RYAA! -RYAA! -RYAA! -RYAA! | POYO! POYO! POYO! POYO! POYO!
:ultmegaman::ultrob:
: *microphone feedback noise*
:ultinkling:: WOOMY! WOOMY! WOOMY! WOOMY! WOOMY!
:ultgnw:: EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
:ultwiifittrainer:: FEEL THE BURN! BURN! BURN! BURN! BURN!
:ultfalcon:: HYES! YES! YES! YES! YES! | C'MON! C'MON! C'MON! C'MON! C'MON!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Could anyone hit me up on the reason for all this talk throughout the Internet surrounding a Nintendo Direct in September? I just wanted to know because I haven't been keeping up as much as I did before, which I'll blame on getting back to school this week.
Their paid online is launching in September with yet-to-be announced details. Also, Nintendo usually does something around September/October for the fall to advertise winter stuff and elaborate more about E3 teases for Spring. It's not a guarantee that it'll happen, but from what they've done in the past it fits. Just gonna have to wait and see.

EDIT: Oh, and I think they have investors meetings in October, right? I could be misremembering that one, so forgive me if that's wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raspberry

Smash Journeyman
fe603bb3642e8480e8ff6811eae82a2b5510237231b57e150b55105e8046634a.jpg

In all seriousness, it would be amazing to have him in Smash (even though he belongs to Epic Games), especially since there is a Jazz Jackrabbit game on the GBA. I don't recall if it's also made by Epic, though.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Nothing is confirmed, but I think it's likely to happen.
Nintendo's gonna launch a new internet service soon and it'd be dumb not to go into detail about it.
Some think we'll get a Direct next month and there could be a fighter revealed there.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Here goes nothin'

Nopesville. I love SMT and Nocturne especially bit I doubt an SMT game, let alone one the only main series game that was originally released on the PS2, would get in, especially before a Persona protagonist.

I doubt anyone else cares about the possibility of a harder hitting, Ganondorf-styled clone of Pikachu (i.e. they wouldn't be an Echo Fighter)

Maybe Sakurai thinks "Oh we already have Dr. Mario, we don't need a third Mario" so I don't see him as likely.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
You know, I joked before about Daisy having a Final Smash where she yells "Hi, I'm Daisy", and then linked it to Kirby...

But if I'm being serious? The Mic Item from Kirby would actually be a cool item in Smash (It was an item in Kirby's Dream Land before it was a power-up in later games).

Also, it'd be funny seeing (and hearing) character yelling into a stage microphone.

Some examples, for fun.
:ultmario:: HEY STINKY! -STINKY -STINKY -STINKY -STINKY | WAHOO! -AHOO! -AHOO! -AHOO! -AHOO!
:ultlink:: HYEEEEAAAAAAAAH! -YAAAH -YAAAH -YAAAH -YAAH
:ultpikachu:: PIKA-CHUUUUU! -CHUUUU! -CHUUUU! -CHUUU! CHUUU!
:ultsonic:: YOU'RE TOO SLOW! SLOW! SLOW! SLOW! SLOW!
:ultkirby:: *Original Mic Sound from KDL* | DORYAA! -RYAA! -RYAA! -RYAA! -RYAA! | POYO! POYO! POYO! POYO! POYO!
:ultmegaman::ultrob:
: *microphone feedback noise*
:ultinkling:: WOOMY! WOOMY! WOOMY! WOOMY! WOOMY!
:ultgnw:: EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
:ultwiifittrainer:: FEEL THE BURN! BURN! BURN! BURN! BURN!
:ultfalcon:: HYES! YES! YES! YES! YES! | C'MON! C'MON! C'MON! C'MON! C'MON!
:ultyoshi:BRIIIM PAH! PAH! PAH! PAH!
:ultrichter:DIE MONSTER! -STER! -STER! -STER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom