• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I didn't mind making her look more like a ''real" woman. (I hate the term real woman considering women like men come in all shapes and sizes.)

I don't even particularly mind TOO much how the new Lara looks.

What I do mind?

She's just so god damn devoid of personality. She's sooooooo boring in comparison to OG Lara.

And I blame it on the more ''serious" tone.
Yeah OG Lara reminds me sort a bit of James Bond or something. Pretty charismatic and badass and all that.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Miiverse - LOL - I mean, seriously, Miiverse is dead and the stage is just a Battlefield form. Nothing creative here. Could see a stage similar to it at some point, but Miiverse itself? Nah, it's not gonna happen.[/spoiler]
I can see them doing something similar to Splatoon 2 where they make an entire Miiverse like system made for Smash specifically and making a stage dedicated to it (not called Miiverse, obviously).

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I can see them doing something similar to Splatoon 2 where they make an entire Miiverse like system made for Smash specifically and making a stage dedicated to it (not called Miiverse, obviously).
That's what I meant when bringing up the possibility of a stage similar to it.

Miiverse itself won't come back since it's dead. But the idea of the stage might.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Looks like I missed some battle between Banjo Kazooie and Bravely Default. Not gonna knock BD since I havent played it, but I do remember Nintendo hyping it up when it first launched. The second one, not so much. Forgot there even was a second one.

Now I don't wanna respark some war but I'm also not gonna reread 20 pages so I may be repeating stuff already mentioned. Banjo, obviously is a far cry from :ultpacman::ultsonic:, but when Banjo Kazooie launched, it was the second best selling new IP on the N64, only behind... Smash Bros itself! (Goldeneye is above both, but Im not counting it as new since it uses the Bond IP) That is pretty respectable in it of itself. A kid/casual nowadays isn't gonna recognize them, but they're probably not gonna recognize :ultkrool::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultridley:either. These newcomers appeal to this kind of crowd
And the crowd that wants/grew up with Banjo Kazooie in the game also happens to be comprised of 99% this kind of crowd...
Not gonna jump the gun and call him a lock, but the pieces are in place for his inclusion like no other entry before. But if he does make it, I will be sipping my Monster and being even more hype for Ultimate despite being in the age range that doesn't even know B-K exists and should want MineCraft Steve or whatever instead.

Such a lust for debunking! WHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!?!

(Wonder if there's MGSV music in the game. Smashing to not-Bowie's Man who sold the world or kinds in America anybody?)
At the very least I need Heavens Divide, Sins of the Father and the Sortie/Peace Walker theme. If by some miracle we get Rebel Yell, Take on Me or Final Countdown in Smash I'll be blasting them across Shadow Moses for sure.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Absolutely, which is why I'm not gonna make a support forum or anything. Mario Picross is very special to me. I have a deep personal attachment. So despite him being another Mario, he's one of my "never happening, but I'd be incredibly happy" picks
Archaeologist Mario one of my most wanted alts costumes for Mario. Especially if we could also get a matching Peach (MP2 mixed with odyssey).

D

Deleted member

Wasn’t the Chorus Kids’ name blatantly photoshopped in? And their logo literally an RH despite the series being called Rhythm Paradise in EU?
Wouldn't a lazy "just letters" icon be a point toward it being legit?

The Chorus Kids are special, and their icon changes to "RP" in Europe. Obviously.

StormC

Smash Hero
this discussion may be over but the reality is nintendo has already addressed its older fans with character inclusions. inklings easily can be argued were for everyone. Fans over 30 received 2 Simmons, king k, and Ridley. It wasn't my age or younger asking for characters that were popular the year we were born. I think there are a lot of people here that dont want to speak about the character choices but i'll be annoyed if the younger audience gets ignored in character selection in this game. younger fans need something as well. There's no reason it cant be agnes.
Looking at your profile, you're 23. I'm 27, and I grew up on the DKC series with K. Rool as the main villain, with the cartoon airing while I was a kid.

Ridley has been a consistent fixture in the Metroid series for the last 30 years. New, old, he's here all the time. He was just in a game last year. I played Super Metroid for the first time when I was 21, and that was my first experience fighting Ridley in a Metroid game.

I hadn't played a game with Inkling or Simon Belmont, but Splatoon is very popular with younger audiences. Is there any reason they can't enjoy Inkling? The idea that you, a 23 year old, are so far removed from these characters that I, a 27 year old, have experienced and enjoyed doesn't seem to be based on anything in reality. Nowhere in my post did I say Agnes was a bad choice (although I actually doubt the idea that younger fans are playing Bravely Default in droves), just that there is no reason to exclude Banjo, especially on the basis of "kids don't know him," when you look at the roster we have.

Younger fans can and do play older games, I was simply using hyperbole to illustrate that the current characters just aren't literally "how do you do fellow kids" choices like a lot people seem to think they should be. There were a lot of younger fans asking for K. Ridley. To say otherwise is disingenuous.

So if you, and your demographic, supposedly, weren't asking for these characters, who did you vote for in the Smash Ballot?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I love reposting this every time it comes up.

View attachment 160786
The best part is that the initial pics didn't have Ridley unlocked, there was just two slots between Samus and Pit and everyone was going "RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY SHOW US RIDLEY" and then an image with him unlocked showed up and there was just a collectove "oh" across the globe

For reference, these were the inital images.

Shroob

Sup?
The best part is that the initial pics didn't have Ridley unlocked, there was just two slots between Samus and Pit and everyone was going "RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY SHOW US RIDLEY" and then an image with him unlocked showed up and there was just a collectove "oh" across the globe

It went from "SHOW US RIDLEY" to "OH GOD TAKE IT AWAY"

Enchess

Smash Lord
This was fun. The Roster but only from the games I've played.

View attachment 160784
I'm too lazy for doing the whole pic thing, but...
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi:
:ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultdoc:
:ultpichu::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultchrom::ultgnw:
:ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultzss::ultwario::ultsnake::ultike::ultpokemontrainer::ultdiddy:
:ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultlucario::ulttoonlink::ultwolf::ultvillager::ultmegaman:
:ultrosalina::ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultrobin:ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultryu:
:ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultkrool:

The ones I haven't played:
:ultroy::ultlucas:: Didn't play cuz no American release. Really want to try both of these though.
:ultrob:: Haven't had chance to play and tracking it down is low priority for me
:ultwiifittrainer:: I'm never gonna spend money on a fitness game. Not my thing.
:ultcorrin:: I read a lot of in-depth impressions and hated everything I saw. I loved FE pre-Awakening, but feel meh on Awakening and Fates seemed to double down on everything I didn't like.

Is it weird I'm proud it's only 5?

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion

On Reddit (again), I found this tier list, which averaged tier list placements for the demo characters, from the tier lists created by ESAM, ZeRo and M2K/Salem. I'm mostly certain these are not ordered within tiers, so keep that in mind.

I also get that this won't mean much, so please don't remind me.
i know some people get annoyed at tier lists i find them fun. IMO from what ive seen pikachu, shiek, and bayo (although for different reasons than 4) are all easily elite. pokemon trainer effectively has a frame 1 invicinble airdodge and at least 2 great characters for mu advantages. shiek is shiek from smash 4 with a damage bonus and unerfed bair. marth is good.

snake is the first im not sure about in brawl with nuetral heavy gameplay he thrived if this game is offensive and combo heavy he may not be as good. mewtwo,link, ryu all have top tier potential dont know if they will reach it or not.

ganon is good enough to be a threat. zelda is overhyped. she's better not good. she's playable. ridley will be fine. but he will be held back by most o fthe game's elite characters comboing him for free. he'll be a very effective doubles character

in low tier ice climbers will rise to upper mid minimum. most people seem to think no grabs equals death for the character. desyncs are crazy good and will only get better over time.

poor samus.

D

Deleted member

What was the excuse the """"leaker"""" pulled for the double player 3's again?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

It legit was this:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
For the 3DS version, "Summer" turned into October 3rd. In that instance, I imagine October 3rd was given as the worst case scenario date and it just so happened to pan out as the worst case scenario. I feel as if this time around, the game is coming along faster, and we won't pan out into the worst case scenario. Honestly your point about sakurai learning from Brawl just solidifies my own
Smash 3DS was delayed from Summer 2014 to October.

EDIT: ive been greninja'd
Remember Smash 3DS released in Japan first a few weeks earlier on September 13th, which was still Summer 2014. (and Smash Wii U released first in the States while for some reason the PAL regions waited a week and Japan waited two weeks).

Untouch

Smash Master
If the logo was RH it could not be localized properly.
You cannot translate it to RT in Japan because the box art (which the logo is based off of) in Japan does not use the latin alphabet, it's all in Japanese.
Final Fantasy works because the "Final Fantasy" text is on every box art, including Japan.

D

Deleted member

What was the excuse the """"leaker"""" pulled for the double player 3's again?
I really don't remember and I only now just noticed it.
My guess is that we were either too worried about Ridley to care or our standards were much lower back then. Probably both.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
It's okay everyone

Ridley is finally here now, so no worries...

*Ridley grasps your head lovingly...before dragging it across the stage floor to the edge*

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
You cannot translate it to RT in Japan because the box art (which the logo is based off of) in Japan does not use the latin alphabet, it's all in Japanese.
Final Fantasy works because the "Final Fantasy" text is on every box art, including Japan.
So does Street Fighter.

But it's still funny how you guys are analyzing this when the simple lack of a full CSS already proved the leaker was too afraid of making specific predictions of when stuff would be revealed. :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's what you think. Sakurai is in the process of changing every single series symbol to two letters. Enjoy MG, FE, XB, and IC.

So does Street Fighter.
Yet another reason why the Street Fighter icon should've been the Punch Button icon.

Last edited by a moderator:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.

On Reddit (again), I found this tier list, which averaged tier list placements for the demo characters, from the tier lists created by ESAM, ZeRo and M2K/Salem. I'm mostly certain these are not ordered within tiers, so keep that in mind.

I also get that this won't mean much, so please don't remind me.
A bit late, but I am glad mah boi, Sonic is on the high tier section. He may not be top tier, but still, that is something, not that I care for tiers, for I don't, I am just saying.

Also, Red the Pokemon Trainer is on the top tier section? That's a surprise.

Raspberry

Smash Journeyman
Now that all current leaks have been debunked, I have to say that I'm glad they were fake. However, it feels like I'm part of the minority when I say that I wouldn't want any part of the game to be leaked before release, since knowing that no characters are cut eliminates the fear of losing our favourite characters and encourages suspense rather than anxiety.

Why would anyone want to spoil the whole game 3 months before release? It's not like knowing everything so soon will make the release come faster. On the contrary, spoiling everything from now eliminates most of the pleasure of watching the Directs and it also only leads to 3 empty months during which time will pass even more slowly.

KMDP

Smash Legend
That's what you think. Sakurai is in the process of changing every single series symbol to two letters. Enjoy MG, FE, XB, and IC.

Yet another reason why the Street Fighter icon should've been the Punch Button icon.
SM
DK (...wait)
LZ
HK
MT
SF
PK
MT
FZ

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

DK rap sentence mixing gives me life.
At the very least I need Heavens Divide, Sins of the Father and the Sortie/Peace Walker theme. If by some miracle we get Rebel Yell, Take on Me or Final Countdown in Smash I'll be blasting them across Shadow Moses for sure.
I'd love to have sins of the Father, but I have a feeling they won't add it in with lyrics with it since we can't even get Snake Eater with lyrics.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I'm too lazy for doing the whole pic thing, but...
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi:
:ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultdoc:
:ultpichu::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultchrom::ultgnw:
:ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultzss::ultwario::ultsnake::ultike::ultpokemontrainer::ultdiddy:
:ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultlucario::ulttoonlink::ultwolf::ultvillager::ultmegaman:
:ultrosalina::ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultrobin:ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultryu:
:ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter:

The ones I haven't played:
:ultroy::ultlucas:: Didn't play cuz no American release. Really want to try both of these though.
:ultrob:: Haven't had chance to play and tracking it down is low priority for me
:ultwiifittrainer:: I'm never gonna spend money on a fitness game. Not my thing.
:ultcorrin:: I read a lot of in-depth impressions and hated everything I saw. I loved FE pre-Awakening, but feel meh on Awakening and Fates seemed to double down on everything I didn't like.

Is it weird I'm proud it's only 5?
I'm lazy too...

:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultjigglypuff:
:ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultchrom:
:ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultzss::ultwario::ultike::ultpokemontrainer::ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultlucario::ultrob::ulttoonlink::ultwolf:
:ultmegaman::ultrosalina::ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultmiifighters::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultrobin:ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultkrool:

Not played:
:ultfalcon::ulticeclimbers::ultdoc::ultpichu::ultroy::ultgnw::ultsnake::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultcorrin:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Don’t you guys find it a little weird that we didn’t get a Gangplank Galleon stage despite getting King K. Rool?

It would’ve made a great stage and would’ve been a unique DK stage since it’s not in a Jungle. It’s kinda making me think that the new stages are much more limited this time around.

Hopefully, we do get a Gangplank Galleon stage soon though.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Don’t you guys find it a little weird that we didn’t get a Gangplank Galleon stage despite getting King K. Rool?

It would’ve made a great stage and would’ve been a unique DK stage since it’s not in a Jungle. It’s kinda making me think that the new stages are much more limited this time around.

We do have it though.

:pirateship:

:troll:

D

Deleted member

Probably considered too similar to Pirate Ship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom