• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Don’t you guys find it a little weird that we didn’t get a Gangplank Galleon stage despite getting King K. Rool?

It would’ve made a great stage and would’ve been a unique DK stage since it’s not in a Jungle. It’s kinda making me think that the new stages are much more limited this time around.

Hopefully, we do get a Gangplank Galleon stage soon though.
We don't have Bowser Castle after 5 games, why would K Rool be any different.

D

Deleted member

Don’t you guys find it a little weird that we didn’t get a Gangplank Galleon stage despite getting King K. Rool?

It would’ve made a great stage and would’ve been a unique DK stage since it’s not in a Jungle. It’s kinda making me think that the new stages are much more limited this time around.

We've gotten stages like Super Mario Maker and Brawl's Pirate Ship through a software update, so I feel as if the possibility isn't ruled out. Personally, I hope in some way shape or form we get Northern Kremisphere as a stage. DKC3 is like the Super Paper Mario of the DKC trilogy, and it's a shame, because that game honestly is really good.

If ANYTHING, though, I sincerely hope we get Crocodile Cacophony remixed.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Sugar, spice, and everything fake
These were the ingredients chosen
To create the perfect little leaks
But Professor 4chan accidentally
Added an extra ingredients to the concoction--
Chemical WTF
Thus, The Powerpuff Girls were born
Using their ultra-super powers
Steenee, Gothitelle and Agnès
Have dedicated their lives to fighting speculation
And the forces of Smashboards.

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Buzzwole

Smash Ace

Disappointing? Yes, especially because two of the cut stages are DK ones.

Weird? No. Plenty of characters dont have home stages.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Oh crap

The font is different, so it's fine. BRING ON THE LETTERS!
Can't wait for a Sattelaview character with the letter icons.

All Sattelaview games started with the letters BS (short for "Broadcast Satellite"), e.g. BS Fire Emblem, BS F-Zero, BS Legend of Zelda.

blackghost

Smash Champion
gaming.
Looking at your profile, you're 23. I'm 27, and I grew up on the DKC series with K. Rool as the main villain, with the cartoon airing while I was a kid.

Ridley has been a consistent fixture in the Metroid series for the last 30 years. New, old, he's here all the time. He was just in a game last year. I played Super Metroid for the first time when I was 21, and that was my first experience fighting Ridley in a Metroid game.

I hadn't played a game with Inkling or Simon Belmont, but Splatoon is very popular with younger audiences. Is there any reason they can't enjoy Inkling? The idea that you, a 23 year old, are so far removed from these characters that I, a 27 year old, have experienced and enjoyed doesn't seem to be based on anything in reality. Nowhere in my post did I say Agnes was a bad choice (although I actually doubt the idea that younger fans are playing Bravely Default in droves), just that there is no reason to exclude Banjo, especially on the basis of "kids don't know him," when you look at the roster we have.

Younger fans can and do play older games, I was simply using hyperbole to illustrate that the current characters just aren't literally "how do you do fellow kids" choices like a lot people seem to think they should be. There were a lot of younger fans asking for K. Ridley. To say otherwise is disingenuous.

So if you, and your demographic, supposedly, weren't asking for these characters, who did you vote for in the Smash Ballot?
who did i vote? bayonetta, shantae, shovel knight. all three were common choices among ffriends of mine and many non hardcore smash players. bayonetta as she is the first lady of action games at this point. shantae platformers good design fun games. shovel night he was the new sensation. thought he'd ft in.

what do you consider droves bravely default sits at nearly 1.5 million. A game doesn't have to rewrite the genre to be a great addition to it. And bravely default kinda did chnage the rpg industry showing turn base could still work and sell. younger fans mostly dont play older games. there's a reason older mascots have a hard time fully recapturing audiences its what makes mario and pokemon so special.

I dont think there were NEARLY as many fans 25 and under asking for a character with no major games in their lives. Why would fans between 10-25 have any interest in King K as a group? there may be some that have sought out older games but most haven't. I never did. Neither did most of my friends. My roomate is 29 and he was excited for King k and then laughed and said how that choice was for him and not me. ridley is different, even if you just played SMASH he's been in every game since melee. People have wanted him plus he's a space pirate dragon lizard not a goofy crocodile that practically screams 90s gaming.

Banjo could get excluded for a whole host of reaons but i agree with many other people here i dont find him to be this huge character i knew banjo from nuts and bolts. i concluded that he wasn'tinteresting and never heard of him agian until all these smash lists came out for ultimate. no attachment no interest and unfortunately most of the fully new characters i havehad that reaction for in ultimate except inklings.
ninendo has feed the elders at the table I hope the last few (elma,poke gen 7, arms, and more) receive an invitation. Nintendo has its older fans ya'll aren't going anywhere nintendo and sakurai need to no neglect that audience either.

StormC

Smash Hero

Characters getting their own stages is rarely a thing. I mean, if Bowser still can't get his damn castle as a stage, Gangplank Galleon is a pipe dream.

What I actually expect is a Tropical Freeze stage.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
As a Charizard main, it's so painful for me to be playing Smash 4 right now. I run into a tough matchup on For Glory and think "man, this would be way easier if I had Squirtle" or "If only I had Ivysaur, then the burden of approaching would be on my foe".

It's really hard to keep up the self improvement when I know half my problems with be solved with massive buffs in just a few months.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Can't wait for a Sattelaview character with the letter icons.

All Sattelaview games started with the letters BS (short for "Broadcast Satellite"), e.g. BS Fire Emblem, BS F-Zero, BS Legend of Zelda.
"Originally, I was gonna have initials for "baby sitter", but then I would have been going around wearing a big "B.S.", and you could understand why I couldn't go with that."

the-big-bs-photo-u1.png

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So does Street Fighter.

But it's still funny how you guys are analyzing this when the simple lack of a full CSS already proved the leaker was too afraid of making specific predictions of when stuff would be revealed. :p
It was pretty stupid that this """"leak""" took so much of everyone's time today in the first place. (Also highkey got tired of hearing "but photoshopped Little Mac!" as if no leak can be fake anymore), but we're in an info drought and people are bored so as long as we're past it whatever!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Saw someone else post theirs so might as well join in. Crossed out the characters who's games I haven't played. I'd miss Ike, Shulk and Richter but that's about it.
Dumb.png

I only crossed out Link because I didn't play BotW specifically. And since I played some of that Fire Emblem Warriors game, the only FE characters cut are Ike and Roy.

I played:
Little Mac: OG Punch-Out, SPU!!(I got bopped though)
Simon: CV1(also got bopped)
Ryu: SF2, SSF2, SFA, SFA2, USF4, CvS2, MVC1, MVC2, MVC3
Mega Man: MM1-MM9, MMnB, MMBnC, MVC1 and MVC2
Pokemon: I played most games, including Sun and Moon.
Zelda: 1, LttP, OoT, WW, TP, FS
Kirby: Squeak Squad, Triple Deluxe and another one or two I can't remember at the moment.
Metroid: 1, Super, Prime, Prime 2, Prime Hunters, Samus Returns. I think I played another 2D one, but not much of it.
Mario: SMB1,2,3,World,New,Sunshine,Super Princess Peach ,Bowser's Inside Story,TTYD,MKDD,MKDS,MKWii,MK7,MK8DX, Mario Strikers, Mario Party 7, Mario Party 8, Dr. Mario and more that I'm forgetting.
Snake: MGS1 and 3, both very briefly though.
Star Fox: OG and 64.
Donkey Kong: OG, DKC1, DKCR
Pac-Man: OG, Pac-Attack(that's the name of the puzzle one right?), Ms. Pac-Man
Yoshi: See Mario, and Yoshi's Island
F-Zero: OG and GX
Wario: Mario spin-offs.
Kid Icarus: First one
R.O.B: Mario Kart DS counts, right?
FE: FE Warriors...that's it. Why is PoR so ****ing expensive, the ONE game I give a **** about.

Demonslyer401

Smash Rookie

probably not going to happen especially sense our Robotic Operating Buddy :ultrob: doesn't have a stage at all

I'm still hoping he gets a stage

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Let's just post characters that you know for a fact will NEVER make it in but still want to see regardless

Much prefer a totally different Sega representative versus another hedgehog.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
This was fun. The Roster but only from the games I've played.

View attachment 160784
ssburoster-e1534142383220.jpg

this actually was kind of fun to do!

and uh my track record is pretty bad on these lmao

I've technically played Donkey Konga but I didn't feel right including him just on that game. I've played about five minutes of Super Metroid but didn't consider that enough to include Ridley, and the only other Metroid I've played is 2. I've also played like the first three chapters of Radiant Dawn and, again, don't consider that playing Ike's game. Finally, I've played a good amount of Battle Network, but none of classic Mega Man.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
If we are counting Mario Kart DS for R.O.B. Then i guess R.O.B. is unchecked for me

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It was pretty stupid that this """"leak""" took so much of everyone's time today in the first place. (Also highkey got tired of hearing "but photoshopped Little Mac!" as if no leak can be fake anymore), but we're in an info drought and people are bored so as long as we're past it whatever!
Well in my own defense I was reminding everyone of the Rayman incident as well. I think both the ESRB leak and the Rayman "leak" had lessons to be learned from them.

StormC

Smash Hero
gaming.

who did i vote? bayonetta, shantae, shovel knight. all three were common choices among ffriends of mine and many non hardcore smash players. bayonetta as she is the first lady of action games at this point. shantae platformers good design fun games. shovel night he was the new sensation. thought he'd ft in.

what do you consider droves bravely default sits at nearly 1.5 million. A game doesn't have to rewrite the genre to be a great addition to it. And bravely default kinda did chnage the rpg industry showing turn base could still work and sell. younger fans mostly dont play older games. there's a reason older mascots have a hard time fully recapturing audiences its what makes mario and pokemon so special.

I dont think there were NEARLY as many fans 25 and under asking for a character with no major games in their lives. Why would fans between 10-25 have any interest in King K as a group? there may be some that have sought out older games but most haven't. I never did. Neither did most of my friends. My roomate is 29 and he was excited for King k and then laughed and said how that choice was for him and not me. ridley is different, even if you just played SMASH he's been in every game since melee. People have wanted him plus he's a space pirate dragon lizard not a goofy crocodile that practically screams 90s gaming.

Banjo could get excluded for a whole host of reaons but i agree with many other people here i dont find him to be this huge character i knew banjo from nuts and bolts. i concluded that he wasn'tinteresting and never heard of him agian until all these smash lists came out for ultimate. no attachment no interest and unfortunately most of the fully new characters i havehad that reaction for in ultimate except inklings.
ninendo has feed the elders at the table I hope the last few (elma,poke gen 7, arms, and more) receive an invitation. Nintendo has its older fans ya'll aren't going anywhere nintendo and sakurai need to no neglect that audience either.
What is your cutoff for "younger" fans? I doubt a lot of teenagers or younger are playing Bravely Default, given that it's a JPRG series from a company that made all their classic games before the 2010s. I'd bet most people buying it were at least in their 20s... which is the group you and I fall in. I didn't even own an NES growing up but I later discovered the Mega Man games and became a big fan. There is nothing stopping younger fans from discovering older games and it's sort of naive for you to act like it rarely happens. The DKC games have been rereleased through the Virtual Console multiple times in the last decade and there is nothing stopping younger fans from trying them.

So what is your point that K. Rool appeals largely to older fans? So what? Should he not be in the game? My point is Smash, and Nintendo nowadays, IS largely older fans. The biggest demographic is now people in their 20s and 30s. We are the target audience. People with disposable income who are more picky about what they buy. The idea that we should just be quiet and not want anything is so insulting. This game is going to be a massive success exactly because it is targeting the older Smash demographic who has been with the series since the first game. It's going to be the highest selling Smash of all time and no amount of handwringing on the internet about "think of the children" is going to change that.

I'm sorry that you don't like most of the characters in the game, and I hope more appear that you do like, but taking it out on the characters in the game (and characters that fans are hoping for) is so childish. This series wouldn't exist if it wasn't for us who have been supporting it since the beginning.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
So, another leak. This one has Isabelle in it so I want to believe it, but I generally don't like taking things as gospel unless they're ESRB-level backed up.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Wow, I just realized Smash 4 didn’t have an ice-themed stage and if it weren’t for the Ice Climbers inclusion, there would be no ice/snow stages in Smash at all.
I think a lot of that has to do with the stigma ice stages have in video games, being unfun and imprecise in platformers.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Hmm, aight, I'll bite:

PLAYED
:ultbayonetta::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultfalcon::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultdiddy::ultdk::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ultfalco::ultfox::ultganondorf::ultgreninja::ulticeclimbers::ultike::ultinkling::ultjigglypuff::ultkingdedede::ultkrool::ultkirby::ultlink::ultlittlemac::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultluigi::ultmario::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultcorrin::ultmiifighters::ultgnw::ultness::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultpalutena::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpokemontrainer::ultridley::ultrobin:ultrosalina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultryu::ultsamus::ultsheik::ultshulk::ultsimon::ultsnake::ultsonic::ulttoonlink::ultvillager::ultwario::ultwolf::ultyoshi::ultyounglink::ultzelda::ultzss:

NOT PLAYED
:ultrob::ultdarksamus::ultrichter::ultwiifittrainer:

I should really play Prime 2+3 and Rondo of Blood; I try to play everything repped by a playable character in Smash.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If we are counting Mario Kart DS for R.O.B. Then i guess R.O.B. is unchecked for me
Might as well, before he was an accessory, but he's outright in the game in MKDS.

So who wants to help fund the "Get Knight Dude the Money to ****ing Buy Path of Radience and Radiant Dawn!" foundation? We got Stretch goals! Like helping me pay for a phyiscal copy of Shantae 1, Rondo of Blood, and **** it, like 30 PS2 games of my choice!

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
It just dawned on me the stupidest thing about this leak...

Furries and animals all have realistic fur textures like Shadow has on this render... both Shadow, Dixie, and Banjo didn't have them in their renders...

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Holy crap, you got a bingo!
Seriously though, either play a Fire Emblem or arrange by number haha
Fire emblem sounds like a frustrating experience, and a very slow one, definitely not my type of game.

Does it still count if I played it but never unlocked him? I was literally 5 at the time and terrible so

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Played and Enjoyed
:ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultcorrin::ultdiddy::ultdk::ultdoc::ultfalco::ultfox::ultganondorf::ultgreninja::ultike::ultjigglypuff::ultkingdedede::ultkirby::ultlink::ultlucario::ultluigi::ultmario::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultmiifighters::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpokemontrainer::ultridley::ultrobin:ultrosalina::ultchrom::ultsamus::ultsheik::ulttoonlink::ultwario::ultwiifittrainer::ultwolf::ultyoshi::ultyounglink::ultzelda:

Played but Didn't Enjoy
:ultfalcon::ultcorrin::ulticeclimbers:
Yeah Corrin is on both lists...it's complicated.

Not Yet Played
:ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultduckhunt::ultinkling::ultkrool::ultlittlemac::ultlucas::ultgnw::ultness::ultrob::ultroy::ultryu::ultdarksamus::ultshulk::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultvillager:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom