• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Oh...

Oh....

Am I the Lara Croft guy?

Like I was the Bayo guy last time?

You know what happened last time?

I'm not saying it's true.

But it's true.

Lara Croft for Smash Ultimate DLC. :troll:
I mean, kind of. Can't think of anyone else who'd fit the role.

I didn't know you were the Bayo guy last time though, but it makes sense given your avatar.
I wonder what kind of reaction this would have gotten if it hit 4chan around March:

View attachment 160744
Absolute refusal to get my hopes up. "K.Rool AND RIDLEY?! Not happening." But now our memes and dreams are reality.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Let's just post characters that you know for a fact will NEVER make it in but still want to see regardless
Gaming's second or third most heroic janitor, Roger Wilco!

Even if by some miracle Sakurai wanted a Sierra character in, it'd end up being squeaky clean King Graham

D

Deleted member

Welp. Etika made a video on the fake leaks and forgot to add the one picture with the misspelling.

Get ready for tens of thousands of people believing it.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Let's see how many layers of NOPE, Demi-fiend is on.
  1. 3rd party
  2. Sega already has 2 characters
  3. Niche genre
  4. Niche game series within that genre
  5. Extremely dark tones
  6. Unconventional appearance
  7. Anime-styled look
  8. Comes from a game that never got released on a Nintendo console
  9. Is a one-off protagonist
  10. Game came out 13 years ago
At the very least, I have Featuring Dante memes.
For what little it's worth, since I know little about SMT, I'd pick that dude since he's got sick tattoo markings on him.

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
Let's just post characters that you know for a fact will NEVER make it in but still want to see regardless
Steve And Blue From Blues Clues (They would have made for an awesome Rosalina and Luma echo fighter if Sakurai couldn't afford to give them an original moveset)!

Along with Calvin and Hobbes (Would have been cool to see them as switchable characters like Shiek and Zelda were in Brawl)!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
After dealing with writer's block for quite a long time, I finally have a new Palutena's Guidance concept thought up...

:ultkrool:King K. Rool
  • Pit: Now there's a face that I've never seen before. Lady Palutena, who is this guy? And why does his left eye look so weird?
  • Palutena: That is the ruler of the Kremling Krew, King K. Rool.
  • Pit: King Cruel? I don't recall hearing about him before.
  • Viridi: No Pit, it's King "K." Rool! And I shouldn't be too surprised that you don't know about him.
  • Palutena: King K. Rool is the arch-enemy of Donkey Kong and the Kong family. He has antagonized the Kongs in various ways, which includes stealing Donkey Kong's banana hoard, and kidnapping certain Kong family members.
  • Viridi: King K. Rool's cruelty is so low that he has no problems executing his own followers, and he even tried to destroy Donkey Kong Island with a weapon called the "Blast-o-Matic".
  • Pit: Ugh, with that bloodshot eye, I guess it shouldn't be too surprising that he's unstable. But what should I know about his fighting abilities?
  • Palutena: King K. Rool is big, slow, and powerful. Watch out for his Blunderbuss, as it can fire a cannonball that will deal a lot of damage if you get hit.
  • Viridi: He can also use his own crown like a boomerang. And if you think that you'll have the advantage by getting in close, beware that King K. Rool can counter your direct attacks with his own stomach.
  • Pit: So he can attack from a distance, and counter my direct attacks? It sure sounds like he's well prepared for anything.
  • Palutena: King K. Rool is still far from perfect Pit. He leaves himself wide open when attacking, so try to use his slow speed to your advantage. That will be your best chance for victory.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
DCgJOwFXkAQeu20.jpg

While people will obviously want to support Saki/Isa and Marina Liteyears more over other Treasure characters, it'd be fun to see what kind of moveset Sakurai could come up with for Bangai-O's Riki and Mami, I'm sure it'd be explosive.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
A WEAPON TO SURPASS GOTHITELLE.
Such a lust for debunking! WHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!?!

(Wonder if there's MGSV music in the game. Smashing to not-Bowie's Man who sold the world or kinds in America anybody?)

blazefan519

Smash Ace
K so I was gone the whole day and now I finally have access to my computer and now there are 50+ pages, neat. Last place I left off was that leak that ruffled everyone's jammies, has anything on that changed or no?

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
When is TGS this month

I imagine we'll get direct close to around that time
Its possible its earlier since we don't know the exact date for the Switch Online service (only says September 2018) and they will likely have a direct to promote it, so it could theoretically be next week or in 3 weeks.

K so I was gone the whole day and now I finally have access to my computer and now there are 50+ pages, neat. Last place I left off was that leak that ruffled everyone's jammies, has anything on that changed or no?
Nope, it was fake. Really good fake though, a lot of us had fun with it.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
He posted a full photo with Agnes, Chorus Kids, and Shadow in the VS screen against Wario.

He (maybe could be someone else) has said a gameplay video is coming later.

The consensus is fake af.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
When is TGS this month

I think it's the weekend beginning 21st.

I imagine we'll get direct close to around that time
They did a silly and put the wrong accent on Anges' name.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Also this "lol only old people know who Banjo" business is silly.

Smash is a 20 year old franchise. It has a huge adult fanbase, and so does the Switch - people in their 20s and 30s are the biggest demographic for it.

How many kids are out here playing old Castlevania games with Simon Belmont or DKC games with K. Rool in them? I guess they all got to play Samus Returns and learn who Ridley was because he was recent, right?
this discussion may be over but the reality is nintendo has already addressed its older fans with character inclusions. inklings easily can be argued were for everyone. Fans over 30 received 2 Simmons, king k, and Ridley. It wasn't my age or younger asking for characters that were popular the year we were born. I think there are a lot of people here that dont want to speak about the character choices but i'll be annoyed if the younger audience gets ignored in character selection in this game. younger fans need something as well. There's no reason it cant be agnes.

Enchess

Smash Lord
It's literally just Mario, it's the same guy.
Then again we have :ultdoc: so I guess anythings possible.
Absolutely, which is why I'm not gonna make a support forum or anything. Mario Picross is very special to me. I have a deep personal attachment. So despite him being another Mario, he's one of my "never happening, but I'd be incredibly happy" picks

D

Deleted member

Such a lust for debunking! WHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!?!

(Wonder if there's MGSV music in the game. Smashing to not-Bowie's Man who sold the world or kinds in America anybody?)
The licensing costs for those songs would likely be immense. I'd love to have Take On Me in Smash though.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
More images were given, all of which had more problems to them, including spelling Agnes's name wrong (the accent in the e was pointed the wrong way)

This pretty much killed the leak for everyone, but the Leaker claims it was just a mistake due to first round translations, and to expect a video in the future, so now everyone is kind of waiting in morbid curiosity

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Alright, I've decided to rethink the chances of every remaining past stage coming back... that is, assuming we're getting more.

Despite believing we either won't get more or that what's left will be new stages, it's still worth doing for me because DLC is very likely gonna be a thing :p

Planet Zebes - Very unlikely - Its similarity to Brinstar in its setting is glaringly obvious. Even if it has a different layout, it's essentially the same colors and a similar background and even the same acid lake. It's gonna feel too repetitive to put Zebes when Brinstar is already there even if it lacks the latter's breakable parts.

Sector Z - Very unlikely - It's basically Corneria, but bigger. Seriously, it even has the same hazards with the Arwings and Wolfens. It at least has a different background, which makes it stand out a little more from Corneria than Zebes does from Brinstar, but I doubt that and size would be enough when literally everything else is identical.

Metal Cavern - Very unlikely (base game), Possible (DLC) - This stage manages to stand out for many reasons; it's never been playable in multiplayer without hacking, its layout is unique and was never used in any subsequent Smash game and people want it. Fan projects like Smash Flash 2 and Project M did some effort bringing life to that otherwise unplayable stage, showing some people do care for it. But the problem is that the appeal of playing a previously unplayable stage means it could sell itself superbly well as DLC, which is why I think it's likelier as such.
Mushroom Kingdom - Unlikely - The changes done to the 64 version, which makes it look more like it's taken straight from the original SMB, is the kind of effort I'd have imagined to see in the Melee version. The fact that the 64 version got them instead makes me think we should rule out the Melee version from happening.

Poké Floats - Very likely (base game), Guaranteed (DLC) - A surpisingly popular stage with a very unique concept, Poké Floats is honestly a very shocking omission. I personally don't like the stage much (though that's probably because I didn't play on it a lot), but a lot of people do and the demand has been there for a while. With Utimate being a crowdpleasing title, I can see it come back. If not base game, definitely DLC. People would easily buy it.

Mute City - Possible - I personally don't see the renaming on the Smash 4 Mute City as a hint towards it. It could always be a new one or just a reference to the console it emulates like with Dream Land GB which, yeah, I know there's two Dream Lands, but the specific name is clearly a nod to that. Anyway, while Port Town is fundamentally the same stage in concept, Mute City is actually more iconic as well as the first stage of its kind. I can see it happen.

Icicle Mountain - Never in a thousand years - I don't wanna talk about this stage. It's horrible.
Rumble Falls - Never in a million years - I'd rather have Icicle Mountain, and I absolutely hate Icicle Mountain.

PictoChat - Very unlikely - Honestly, PictoChat 2 brings the concept of this kind of stage so well in so many different ways that the original ends up feeling bland and generic in comparison. Not to mention some layouts weren't that great, like those cubes that just acted as annoying walls. So yeah, not seeing it.

Rainbow Road - Possible - While there are stages like this already in Smash, such as Mario Circuit, Rainbow Road is simply the most iconic location of a Mario Kart game. And this one has a few unique things on top of looking absolutely gorgeous. I say it's got good chances.

PAC-MAZE - Very unlikely - It is with great pain and sadness that I must rate it this way. The gimmick of this stage requiring separate screens simply hurts its chances more than it helps them. It's a real shame too because it's the actually good Pac-Man stage...
Jungle Hijinxs - Impossible - This is honestly my favorite DK stage, its background/foreground dynamic made for some really fun fights and I loved it! However, Stage Morph utterly crushed this stage's chances.

Pyrosphere - Possible - I frankly see nothing holding this stage back. Yeah, the Ridley stage boss exists, but like, he's so different from the playable Ridley that it should be a non-issue.

Woolly World - Possible - Like with Pyrosphere, I see nothing holding it back.

Orbital Gate Assault - Likely - Given the tremendous amount of effort spent on thisi stage alone (took a whole year, dammit!), I can't see these efforts being wasted for just one game. Plus, like with Pyrosphere and Woolly World, nothing really hurts its chances of coming back.

Miiverse - LOL - I mean, seriously, Miiverse is dead and the stage is just a Battlefield form. Nothing creative here. Could see a stage similar to it at some point, but Miiverse itself? Nah, it's not gonna happen.

Anything I screwed up on? ^-^'

Last edited:

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Black Friday is gigantic for sales and America is a gigantic part of the market. Let's not forget thT the Wii U version was released early, a week before Black Friday internationally, yet a week after for Japan. Black Friday is a big deal.
It seems what Nintendo is going to sell this Black Friday is the Switch and Pokemon Let's Go. They're not doing nothing, but they probably don't want people thinking they'll get a discount on Smash.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
More images were given, all of which had more problems to them, including spelling Agnes's name wrong (the accent in the e was pointed the wrong way)

This pretty much killed the leak for everyone, but the Leaker claims it was just a mistake due to first round translations, and to expect a video in the future, so now everyone is kind of waiting in morbid curiosity
Oh great, so it's not completely dead. God, September Direct can't come sooner.

KMDP

Smash Legend
If you mean the leak with 7 characters (one of whom we couldn't work out), it's been debunked... probably.

The leaker revealed a bigger picture, and they slipped up by spelling "Agnès" wrong (they spelt it "Agnés", using an acute accent instead of a grave accent).

Chrono.

I don't see an SMT character as really impossible. Who they'd choose is up in the air though.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
"Eugh! what is it with these fake leaks and making Ridley look like a potato?"

(not a flattering picture, looks better in acton)
Anybody else remember that Smash 4 fake roster leak where it was just already-released renders, but then there was also this really grotesque Ridley that looked nothing like Ridley?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Top kek potential would be a real ESRB 2.0 happening before fake ESRB 2.0 even gets his video made.

I'd feel bad for Sakurai but I'd laugh my butt off in the general direction of this current ''leaker."

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
I think I asked this, but everyone completely misunderstood me, what completely never-gonna-happen picks would you like to see?
Great Reaper from Kid Icarus uprising

Pharaoh Man from Megaman

I just like his moveset potential
Spiral Knight
From an online game I used to Play

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wasn’t the Chorus Kids’ name blatantly photoshopped in? And their logo literally an RH despite the series being called Rhythm Paradise in EU?

Chrono.

Not really, I actually do think that the Shadow image did have a source that somebody pulled out a while back
It was thought to be from a comic cover but the bigger picture makes it obvious that it's just Sonic's Ultimate render airbrushed.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It was thought to be from a comic cover but the bigger picture makes it obvious that it's just Sonic's Ultimate render airbrushed.
Imagine that. Imagine if Shadow was the only echo who didn't even get a unique pose. Sakurai just whatever-ed his render and didn't even try.

Imagine living in THAT world.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom