• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Gamescom lasts until Sunday... It's gonna be a long week.
Has Nintendo ever done Smash reveals at Gamescom before? I don't remember them ever doing things with Smash Wii U outside of E3 and Directs, so I don't know if we'll see anything too crazy at Gamescom for Ultimate. Probably just more clean footage like we got this morning (which I would love!)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
You know, I'm starting to think it's Palutena who will get a Memories article instead of Pit, for obvious reasons related to their first game's Japanese title.
Oh yeah, in Japan it's a "I'm not Zelda" situation rather than Pit's current predicament. I think they changed the gag in the tutorial depending on region. Pit asks who this Kid Icarus guy is, Palutena tells him it's not important. Not sure what the Japanese version is tho.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Has Nintendo ever done Smash reveals at Gamescom before? I don't remember them ever doing things with Smash Wii U outside of E3 and Directs, so I don't know if we'll see anything too crazy at Gamescom for Ultimate. Probably just more clean footage like we got this morning (which I would love!)
Not that I know of, but first time for everything I guess...?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Nothing Smash before but they have done some reveals like showing off Lola Pop from ARMS.
Probably nothing will come of it, at least not without the offical accounts droppign hints to watch out for something.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Just because they haven't doesn't mean they can't. Lola Pop was revealed last Gamescom. Just Nintendo proving to be able to announce something at the event should be enough to at least have 1% of hope for something. Whether or not they do it, it's their decision, but it's 100% possible.

edit: lol i got :ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
He likely means revealing all the base game characters, but in a way he does mean ”all” the characters as well, as I recall reading that Sakurai doesn’t even think about DLC until after the game is finished.
Ah, you're right. I completely forgot he doesn't think about DLC until after everything has been said and done.

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
WTF is this controller? lol
Doing Special Moves will be incredibly hard and uncomfortable.

Pretty sure that's a prototype of the original gamecube controller not of the controller they'll be releasing with ultimate. It's just a little piece of history, not related to smash in any way.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Let's keep an eye on the following

Smash Blog
Smash Twitter
Smash Facebook
Camelot Twitter/Facebook
Wayforward Twitter/Facebook
Ubisoft Twitter/Facebook.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
So, are we just gonna gloss over the new gameplay that was uploaded last night? 'Cuz this is some pretty good stuff right here.
The first one seems vaguely poetic considering both franchises' debates in the days of Sm4sh. Eh, who cares about that? Free gameplay!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh yeah, in Japan it's a "I'm not Zelda" situation rather than Pit's current predicament. I think they changed the gag in the tutorial depending on region. Pit asks who this Kid Icarus guy is, Palutena tells him it's not important. Not sure what the Japanese version is tho.
Probably something that isn't as obvious to Westerners, no doubt. Apparently, Hades was Kefka'ed a bit in the localization according to Sakurai, as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm floored at how fast this Smash's pre-release feels like it's going. I really appreciate all the constant info coming from Nintendo about the game, too; it definitely helps keep things interesting compared to Wii U/3DS' pre-release, where the time gaps for announcements were huge, lol. With only 3 months left and a confirmation that the full roster will be known before release, I don't think we'll have too long a wait before we know what's what about the roster and whatever the mysterious Spirits mode is.

...Man, I probably care more about what Spirits is than characters at this point. I gotta know what it is! I'm hoping so badly that it's a SSE 2, but I know I'm only setting myself up for disappointment by doing that. Maybe something along the lines of a hybrid of Melee's adventure mode mixed with Mario Tennis Aces' text-box scenes...?

I just really wanna see Nintendo characters interact again. I have this idea that a SSE 2 would pair up Luigi with the Inklings and have something ridiculous like Ridley with Pichu for cutscene shenanigans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
So, are we just gonna gloss over the new gameplay that was uploaded last night? 'Cuz this is some pretty good stuff right here.
The first one seems vaguely poetic considering both franchises' debates in the days of Sm4sh. Eh, who cares about that? Free gameplay!
Snake vs. King K. Rool. A matchup we should've had ten years ago, finally a reality. I'm so happy.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Hm... I don't think K. Rool would have won that without the Smash Ball. Things weren't looking all that great for him. But hey, sometimes things can change course.​

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
When did we get so angry about leaks?

I'm wondering if Gothitelle, if true, will be this game's ROB. Probably not as much given it would be an echo and a lot of the fan favorites got in but still.
ROB at least makes sense in hindsight, he was a majorly successful NES add-on and was a unique choice for a retro pick, the game & watch to icies pit essentially. Gothitelle is Gothitelle...

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I only get angry about leaks when they're almost certainly BS and people are choosing to believe them anyway.
So just watched the Yooka-Laylee reveal for Brawlout and I think they kind of off-handedly shade Smash a little bit

Yooka: "Look at this Laylee, this time we get to be the guest characters in someone else's game!"

Laylee: "It's about time! You'd think working with that blue knight guy we'd have a little more clout"
I think that may have actually been a joke about Rivals of Aether since Shovel Knight is actually a playable character in that game now.

Last edited:

Smithn

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4332 5240 6154
The part where K. Rool shoots the cannonball and kicks Snake into it is so good.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So anything new other then the gameplay videos? Which I guess means there will be a new Smash demo at Gamescom?

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I've seen some people shocked that Dark Samus plays like Samus. I mean....Yea? She's s clone of her lol. A lot of her animations are different and look really cool, but she's still a clone. It baffles me when people look at echoes and say "they look pretty much the exact same??". I mean...Duh????

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I've seen some people shocked that Dark Samus plays like Samus. I mean....Yea? She's s clone of her lol. A lot of her animations are different and look really cool, but she's still a clone. It baffles me when people look at echoes and say "they look pretty much the exact same??". I mean...Duh????
I wonder how much of Smash 7's dev cycle will be taken up by Luigification.

Rememer when that was a word before the good, dull people at TVTropes made it "divergent character evolution"?

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So anything new other then the gameplay videos? Which I guess means there will be a new Smash demo at Gamescom?
I don’t think so yet.

Gamescom still didn’t even begin yet. It really starts on the 22nd.

There’s also a stream with some announcements though soon, however I don’t think Nintendo or Sakurai has said anything about it yet.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
When did we get so angry about leaks?

I'm wondering if Gothitelle, if true, will be this game's ROB. Probably not as much given it would be an echo and a lot of the fan favorites got in but still.
people get pretty heated about this one for whatever reason so i try not to bring it up...but legit i dont see anything that damaging against it. simon doesnt have to be in code of a demo build, we legitimately have reason to believe richter may have been worked on first anyway, and he could be lying about how he got this info/saw the data to avoid getting caught leaking OR he could have had a substantial amount of time alone with the game. if he was trusted enough to help set up the game AND the demo is entirely public info at the time of CEO nintendo might have literally sent him a demo copy and he may have had it at his house for a significant amount of time OR it was sitting at CEO for a while and if he worked there he could do with it as he pleased and then just given it/sent it back after the event was over. theres too many unknowns to simply write it off as ridiculous imo. not saying its definitely true but it should be looked at.

ROB at least makes sense in hindsight, he was a majorly successful NES add-on and was a unique choice for a retro pick, the game & watch to icies pit essentially. Gothitelle is Gothitelle...
Gothitelle is weird but it does have a logic to it, representing every gen of pokemon, and yeah its a weird logic but sakurai has been known to be weird like that in the past. Also this game has SO many characters, cutting corners by doing an echo fighter that works to achieve that goal could be realistic and get us someone odd like gothitelle just because it works out.

I'm not really invested personally in any pokemon (i think with pichu,ivysaur,squirtle back if we didnt get any new pokemon i'd be fine) so gardevoir/incineroar i dont really care which one we get but i still think the leak has enough going for it to be talked about and i am still leaning toward it. anyway not trying to get into a big discussion about it just laying down my thoughts.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
So does ANYONE understand what the rap in Gang-Plank Galleon is saying?

If you ask me, it's detrimental to just how well done the rest of the track is.
I have no idea what they're saying but it sounds really goofy and fun and it's one of my favorite new remixes I've heard. It's so Donkey Kong it makes me smile.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Skull Kid has been one of my most wanted character. But seeing his fanbase almost makes me not want the character in Smash. They suddenly grew overnight and became extraordinary arrogant, especially for a character no one believed had a chance just a short time ago.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I wonder how much of Smash 7's dev cycle will be taken up by Luigification.

Rememer when that was a word before the good, dull people at TVTropes made it "divergent character evolution"?
Considering that echo fighters in this game are low-priority characters meant only to please fans, I don't think we'll see that much. Sort of like how they're already giving Ganon his sword but not really decloning Lucina and Dark Pit at all.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475

Looks like this is how Loz18 got some information about smash. Make me wonder if saying this dont put him/her at risk in his/her work, or he/she's just trolling ‍♂

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Fun Fact- Smash Bros for Wii U actually has an in game excuse for some levels not being available for 8 Player Smash, saying that the Fire Marshal won't allow it. Now in Smash Bros Ultimate, all 103 levels can be played in 8 player, meaning that the Fire Marshal unfortunately got cut. Not everyone is here :(.

Also, this game is now technically a fire hazard. Sakurai has gone off the deep end, trying to satisfy players so much that he put fanservice over safety.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
people get pretty heated about this one for whatever reason so i try not to bring it up...but legit i dont see anything that damaging against it. simon doesnt have to be in code of a demo build, we legitimately have reason to believe richter may have been worked on first anyway, and he could be lying about how he got this info/saw the data to avoid getting caught leaking OR he could have had a substantial amount of time alone with the game. if he was trusted enough to help set up the game AND the demo is entirely public info at the time of CEO nintendo might have literally sent him a demo copy and he may have had it at his house for a significant amount of time OR it was sitting at CEO for a while and if he worked there he could do with it as he pleased and then just given it/sent it back after the event was over. theres too many unknowns to simply write it off as ridiculous imo. not saying its definitely true but it should be looked at.

Gothitelle is weird but it does have a logic to it, representing every gen of pokemon, and yeah its a weird logic but sakurai has been known to be weird like that in the past. Also this game has SO many characters, cutting corners by doing an echo fighter that works to achieve that goal could be realistic and get us someone odd like gothitelle just because it works out.

I'm not really invested personally in any pokemon (i think with pichu,ivysaur,squirtle back if we didnt get any new pokemon i'd be fine) so gardevoir/incineroar i dont really care which one we get but i still think the leak has enough going for it to be talked about and i am still leaning toward it. anyway not trying to get into a big discussion about it just laying down my thoughts.
That's a lousy excuse though, Gothitelle isn't popular or relevant so it makes little sense to add it. There's never been a need to represent every generation before so why would they suddenly need to now? It'd be an echo for the sake of being an echo which is the worst kind. Not to mention that would likely mean no gen 7 pokemon which makes the whole idea of representing all generations pointless if you're just gonna skip the latest one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom