• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
My concern about all the Skull Kid "hints" is why they would start hinting at him so early. I honestly doubt we'll have a September direct, do they plan to just keep hinting at him until, say, October?

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I just realized, Nintendo’s big game this holiday season is Smash, so is it possible they would want to announce something at Gamescom?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
My concern about all the Skull Kid "hints" is why they would start hinting at him so early. I honestly doubt we'll have a September direct, do they plan to just keep hinting at him until, say, October?
If they launch Nintendo Online in September and don't have a Nintendo Direct beforehand they're making a huge gamble, and arguably a mistake. That service needs to be more fleshed out. Like, what's the NES games? How does cloud saves work? How will games benefit from it?

If there's not a September Dorect EVERYONE will be confused. Not to mention Kimishima saying that there's still more unannounced Switch games for the Fall lineup.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
If they launch Nintendo Online in September and don't have a Nintendo Direct beforehand they're making a huge gamble, and arguably a mistake. That service needs to be more fleshed out. Like, what's the NES games? How does cloud saves work? How will games benefit from it?

If there's not a September Dorect EVERYONE will be confused. Not to mention Kimishima saying that there's still more unannounced Switch games for the Fall lineup.
Hey, this actually puts a ton in perspective. Thank you!
Knowing Nintendo, I'm sure they wouldn't mind leaving us in the dark even more about the online, but they most likely will have a Direct.

KingBroly

Smash Lord

They also need a date for the Online. Saying 'second half of September' doesn't work, especially if they just go 'oh, you have to pay now.' That's anti-consumer and could get them into some legal trouble. Right now it's just a whole bunch of things that's not well communicated at all.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158

Sounds like something Nintendo would do, tbh. They will probably release a barebones service, and will be fine. Though a lot of people will speak out against it, most of us will still pay for it to play Smash online, and there will be a lot of fans defending it. We'll see annoying articles like "Nintendo not having voice chat is so refreshing!" "Nintendo's simple service hearkens to a simpler time!" lol

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
This is the third inarguable reference to Majora's Mask in the past 2 weeks not counting the vague one from the Direct. I don't think this is a coincidence.
Ok people need to stop pointing to this. This mask isn't being sold by Nintendo. Nintendo didn't post this image Source Gaming did. This is not a hint by Nintendo.

I think Skull Kid is just as likely as most people on here in the last 2 weeks, but please don't spread inaccuracies.
I just realized, Nintendo’s big game this holiday season is Smash, so is it possible they would want to announce something at Gamescom?
"Just realized". Considering Pokemon Let's Go isn't really interesting people (it'll do fine for a Pokemon game) then yeah it's all the basically have this half of the year. I mean you can argue they already "sold it" at this point, but we will definitely hear more soon. I'd love to get even a quick annoucnement at Gamescom, but if not TGS is right around the corner.

I'm honestly thinking that was a misquote/mistranslation. There's no way there are any, even relatively big, switch releases for the end of this year that haven't even been announced. I can see smaller things...maybe some third party games. Otherwise when are they going to announce them? Lol

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

This. we pretty much NEED a direct in september and i doubt any direct will happen from here til december without some smash info.

feels like they got this planned out to keep dropping us smash info... september for nintendo online and probly explain the online section of smash. october/november some other direct probably with pokemon and potentially a pokemon reveal for smash, maybe the story mode if that isnt already shown. then november/december a final smash direct to hype the launch and show the final character(s) at that point, again one player "spirits"/story mode or something if we havent seen the full details of that yet.

thats my guess. i'd be very surprised if we dont get a few more directs and smash info spread out over each one, i think the reason this game got announced this very year and we had essentially nothing until E3 was to hit us hard with info and hyped character reveals in the months leading up. its honestly a good marketing strategy, past smash games have somewhat lost their hype (at least for maybe the casual crowd) by announcing newcomers a year or more in advance and its "old news" feeling by the time we get the game.

KMDP

Smash Legend
He's Hans in Europe, Isaac in America, Vlad in France, and ロビン (Robin).

Puts a new meaning to "known by many names".
He's also Isaac in the UK. I know this is splitting hairs. XD

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

If Isaac is in, I wonder if Sakurai might make a reference about Isaac’s and Robin’s names.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
I just got a thought in my head... What if Nintendo announces that Smash Bros will be getting a DLC Season Pass?

Each season will get 4 unique newcomers & 2 echo fighters, & the unique newcomers will come with a new stage.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I just got a thought in my head... What if Nintendo announces that Smash Bros will be getting a DLC Season Pass?

Each season will get 4 unique newcomers & 2 echo fighters, & the unique newcomers will come with a new stage.
Duuuude that’s exactly what I was thinking too! Especially since the Switch will probably be around longer than the Wii U, I can see this happening

Though to be fair my original vision had one season of 4 echoes and 3 seasons with a mix of Uniques and Echoes arranged by theme, but your idea sounds better!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I know this will probably get overlooked in the conversation, but I just want to post this anyway, and its a bit off-topic...

I cannot wait to hear what Ultimate's "Sakurai Bias" will be...:rolleyes:
In Brawl, it was the Kirby Bias
In 4 it was the Kid Icarus Bias, and in 4 post DLC it was the Fire Emblem Bias.
Accusations of Xenoblade bias, probably.

I have to say though, this roster seems like a 90s kids dream.
I'm just running in the 90's, it's a new way I'd like to be.

Back in Smash 4 Speculation, I remember the "Big 4" that people referred to were Ridley, King K. Rool, Palutena, and Little Mac, in reference to the "most wanted" newcomers.
Those 4 were SmashBoards' Elite 4. For we got Little, Mac, then Palutena, then Ridley and finally K. Rool. Truly, we've come so far from those days.

D

Deleted member

That's how I'd prefer they do it. I really like the idea of packaging new fighters in packs alongside Echo Fighters as a kind of bonus; just seems like a neat idea to me. :)

I'm honestly thinking there isn't gonna be a September Direct at this point unless it's a Mini exclusively about the online service. Anything they would have had to show for it they're already announcing at Gamescom or in press releases, and I honestly wouldn't expect to hear about anything 2019 until January/February of next year. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
This. we pretty much NEED a direct in september and i doubt any direct will happen from here til december without some smash info.

feels like they got this planned out to keep dropping us smash info... september for nintendo online and probly explain the online section of smash. october/november some other direct probably with pokemon and potentially a pokemon reveal for smash, maybe the story mode if that isnt already shown. then november/december a final smash direct to hype the launch and show the final character(s) at that point, again one player "spirits"/story mode or something if we havent seen the full details of that yet.

thats my guess. i'd be very surprised if we dont get a few more directs and smash info spread out over each one, i think the reason this game got announced this very year and we had essentially nothing until E3 was to hit us hard with info and hyped character reveals in the months leading up. its honestly a good marketing strategy, past smash games have somewhat lost their hype (at least for maybe the casual crowd) by announcing newcomers a year or more in advance and its "old news" feeling by the time we get the game.
Agreed. I mean yeah, Sakurai literally said all characters will be revealed before release. We HAVE to expect smash info no matter what from now until the game releases. The most balanced way to reveal them is at least one reveal per month. I doubt we will have 1 month without a reveal at this point, it's just part of the marketing of the game right now.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
By the way, don't know if anyone mentioned, but the victory screens for the characters don't even say "____ WINS" anymore, it just say the character's name. I wonder if they're in the process of changing it because people said the new one was too weird...

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Agreed. I mean yeah, Sakurai literally said all characters will be revealed before release. We HAVE to expect smash info no matter what from now until the game releases. The most balanced way to reveal them is at least one reveal per month. I doubt we will have 1 month without a reveal at this point, it's just part of the marketing of the game right now.
Do you by chance remember the exact wording of that statement? I had a thought that maybe that could be taken to mean there will be no DLC, but if he said all the characters for the base game would be revealed before launch that would thankfully eliminate that possibility.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I know this will probably get overlooked in the conversation, but I just want to post this anyway, and its a bit off-topic...

More Kid Icarus bias please

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Duuuude that’s exactly what I was thinking too! Especially since the Switch will probably be around longer than the Wii U, I can see this happening

Though to be fair my original vision had one season of 4 echoes and 3 seasons with a mix of Uniques and Echoes arranged by theme, but your idea sounds better!
I have some ideas on what the seasons could consist of...

Season 1: Switchin' Into The Future (Characters From Switch Titles)
Season 2: Old Friends (Characters From Existing Franchises)
Season 3: Fighters From Another World (New 3rd Party Characters)
Season 4: The Grand Finale (2nd Fighter Ballot Results)

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I'm still shocked they didn't do costume packs for Smash 4. Giving characters alternate costumes as DLC even if it's just cosmetic would sell so much. You know how much I'd pay for any sort of Samus costume?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...dreamcast_sequel_revealed_for_nintendo_switch

Well, looks like the most iconic games in the Grandia series will finally arrive on a Nintendo console. I bet this will give fans an excuse to say "Rudo 4 Smash".

Castlevania bias, obviously.

If he gets in, I hope Xander is up to the exhausting task of announcing all of those...

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I'm still shocked they didn't do costume packs for Smash 4. Giving characters alternate costumes as DLC even if it's just cosmetic would sell so much. You know how much I'd pay for any sort of Samus costume?
******* this. I would pay a whole 10 bucks just for a Mr. L costume for Luigi.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
as much as i love teh idea of one of the BOTW championsi really think that Skull kid chances this time are actually quite high. and no, im not talking about supper silly leaks or (quasi)dumb furniture, but i think that skull kid have more stuff going for him that only this "hints".

which is cool, frankly skull kid is my favorite Zelda "Legacy" character...

I have some ideas on what the seasons could consist of...

Season 1: Switchin' Into The Future (Characters From Switch Titles)
Season 2: Old Friends (Characters From Existing Franchises)
Season 3: Fighters From Another World (New 3rd Party Characters)
Season 4: The Grand Finale (2nd Fighter Ballot Results)
They have so much raw potential in doing DLC seasons...
I do think that an Assist trophy poll would also be sweet (although a real blodshed) and i do think we should have at least 2 Switch seasons (mid life and late life) which ocld include 3rd parties.

Staarih

Smash Master
Do you by chance remember the exact wording of that statement? I had a thought that maybe that could be taken to mean there will be no DLC, but if he said all the characters for the base game would be revealed before launch that would thankfully eliminate that possibility.
He likely means revealing all the base game characters, but in a way he does mean ”all” the characters as well, as I recall reading that Sakurai doesn’t even think about DLC until after the game is finished.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
As far as all these rumor and 'leaker' debates go, none of them have any real legitimacy backing them.

Vergeben remains a 50/50, he's been right so far and has mostly gone silent. Believe him or don't, it's up to personal preference at this point.

Loz18 comes off more and more as someone who had exclusive knowledge one single time and is using that as a means to champion himself and lead people on that he's got way more info than he really does. His 'source' for the August direct was wrong (on both the date and specific contents), and as mentioned previously he was talking out of his rear about Skull Kid. He can be ignored until he gets something of substance right again.

And finally, this garbage CEO rumor.
1) He didn't steal a Switch from CEO. It just didn't happen. And the thing just evaporating afterward cements it.
2) 'They got the IP right, but not the character' Hard deconfirms this whole leak. No way in hell he can 'find echo data' for Chrom and Dark Samus but just not see that Simon was there the whole time. And being that blatant about it comes off as just being contrarian for the sake of having an unexpected pick.
3) Gothitelle in general. Every Pokemon in Smash is beloved or iconic in some capacity, and every Echo so far has been a character that people really like. For Gothitelle, an absolute WHOMST'D'VE among Pokemon, to get in, even as the argued 'token 5th gen Pokemon' is laughable.
And 1, 2, 3, delet this. It's not real, stop peddling it.

Save your debates over 'leaks' for when something substantial drops, like something on the caliber of the ESRB leak, or when someone else shows exact knowledge on the level loz18 had pre-E3. Don't eat up garbage without a second thought, every single fake leak out there will try to speak from a position of authority that grants them special knowledge or access. The proof is what matters. There will be outliers, like the infamous Brawl leaker or Ninka, but things like that SHOULD be ignored until proven otherwise. I'm honestly kind of disappointed something as blatantly false as the CEO rumor is still discussed this extensively.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
He likely means revealing all the base game characters, but in a way he does mean ”all” the characters as well, as I recall reading that Sakurai doesn’t even think about DLC until after the game is finished.
This.. Sakurai have said that they aren't even thinking about DLC yet, so don't expect a "we are working on mewtwo" style reveal.
In fact there is a slight fear that we may not get DLC characters. considering how massive teh roster number already is... is not like pumping a couple of new mario kart tracks or even a couple of Mario odyssey kingdoms (speaking of which, new kingdoms when? DX)

D

Deleted member

If I remember correctly, the exact wording was something along the lines of "This time, we plan to show off the design of every fighter before release". I don't think we have to worry about that deconfirming any DLC, I think he just means that there aren't going to be any secret unlockable characters on release. Probably because Sakurai and Nintendo know that as soon as this game goes up for pre-load on the E-Shop that it'll be datamined within 3 hours of release, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366

A correction, but I'm pretty sure Hans is the Spanish Translation. English uses Isaac.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I'd give an arm and a leg for Lucina to get her Yukata as an alt.
Also Tennis Wario and Armoured Mewtwo

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Gamescom lasts until Sunday... It's gonna be a long week.

Pakky

Smash Hero
LOOK AT THAT BOY!

Sorry if posted already

The game really is fast, and his grabs are better than Bowser's

He looks like a mix of :ultwario:&:ultkingdedede: with better tools which makes sense.

Victory pose, so sassy!

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
When did we get so angry about leaks?

I'm wondering if Gothitelle, if true, will be this game's ROB. Probably not as much given it would be an echo and a lot of the fan favorites got in but still.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom