• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Watching the new footage. K. Rool reminds me of Wario a lot. His animations in the air, his stomach aerial, and the sheer quirkiness of his specials. :ultkrool::ultwario:

Dark Samus seems notably lighter/float-ier than regular Samus. It was interesting to see it using Morph Ball Bomb as an edge-guarding tool (@1:00); between that and the better rolls I'm very interested in seeing how Dark Samus's neutral game turns out.

Chrom seems like a better Roy like everyone was predicting. I wonder which of the many versions of Marth will rank highest this game? Marth, Fire Marth, Girl Marth, or Shonen Marth?

Last edited:

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
i really hope nintendo keeps making the match videos of the quality as the k rool and ridley/dark samus videos. It's nice to see some smash footage that isn't FFA all items on high shaky camcorder.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
So I've asked this before, but I like getting opinions on so I'll ask again.

Would you rather....

Get all information pertaining to the game including characters, stages, modes, etc. Today and just have to wait until December to play.

Or

Have small tidbits of information each day on the website with all being revealed by release.

Or

How we have it now with 1 or 2 more information dumps in directs between now and release.

Or

No more information, keep the speculation up and be surprised at release.

For me, I'd rather get all the information now. Not knowing kills me. But I'd probably regret it on the long wait. So what does everybody else think?
Option 1. Kills all leaks. Kills all my wasted time on the internet so I can focus on other things. I know its not feasible though. However, if not that, I'd rather get major info every 3 weeks, but less information with each reveal.

Like imagine getting Simon and Richter 2 weeks ago, getting the Chrom and Dark Samus announcements this week, and getting the K. Rool announcement at the beginning of September. The spread of information would make people happier and talk more about what the game is getting rather than be stuck in information droughts for the next month or 2, especially since we don't know if the game is going to give us more info any time soon.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Watching the new footage. K. Rool reminds me of Wario a lot. His animations in the air, his stomach aerial, and the sheer quirkiness of his specials. :ultkrool::ultwario:

Dark Samus seems notably lighter/float-ier than regular Samus. It was interesting to see it using Morph Ball Bomb as an edge-guarding tool (@1:00); between that and the better rolls I'm very interested in seeing how Dark Samus's neutral game turns out.

Chrom seems like a better Roy like everyone was predicting. I wonder which of the many versions of Marth will rank highest this game? Marth, Fire Marth, Girl Marth, or Shonen Marth?
I guess they balanced him by giving him an all or nothing recovery. From there it's all damage and knockback tweaks until the two are considered equal on tier lists. Sadly I think that may involve pulling Chrom back rather than pushing Roy ahead.

i really hope nintendo keeps making the match videos of the quality as the k rool and ridley/dark samus videos. It's nice to see some smash footage that isn't FFA all items on high shaky camcorder.
Yeah, I want to see Simon/Richter in action outside of carefully framed trailers.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Part of me thinks that perhaps it would have been a worthwhile idea to reveal a little less in the Direct. Maybe it would have been better to do small reveals (such as how Smash 4 revealed Robin and Lucina) every now and then, and every few weeks maybe reveal an echo fighter on the Super Smash Blog. I personally would have preferred a steady drizzle of info to massive information rainstorms every couple of months.​

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Hey DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon , since I think you are the best users when it come to "leaks", did you saw this tweet by loz18?
There was a problem fetching the tweet
If yes, do you have an idea where he could have posted those info? 'cuz apparantly, some peoples have already found what loz18 is talking about.

Also, nothing with the rest of this post, but...
*hmmm intensifie*

Staarih

Smash Master
I found this interesting. I assume this is a Japanese Twitter user who combined this chart. Looks like the speculated characters line up pretty much with the west - though these days it isn’t surprising as we’re running out of characters haha! And Smash speculation likely takes inspiration around the globe.

Guess he didn’t get the memo of Zero though.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I found this interesting. I assume this is a Japanese Twitter user who combined this chart. Looks like the speculated characters line up pretty much with the west - though these days it isn’t surprising as we’re running out of characters haha! And Smash speculation likely takes inspiration around the globe.

Isn’t X in Mega Man’s Final Smash too ever since 4? (Not counting Bass or Proto Man who are new additions to it as of Ultimate)

Also I’d replace Rex & Pyra with Elma since the former is more likely to be DLC if the 2015 roster finalization is anything to go by

Also Captain Toad is (most likely) deconfirmed. He could have like a 5% chance by a miracle and that’s being generous, but it’s looking really bad for him.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Hey DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon , since I think you are the best users when it come to "leaks", did you saw this tweet by loz18?
If yes, do you have an idea where he could have posted those info? 'cuz apparantly, some peoples have already found what loz18 is talking about.

*hmmm intensifie*
Interesting. Probably coincidence but for all the talk we have Skull kid its odd lol. Also, where do you think people have found Loz's stuff?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Loz mentioned wanting a comic artist. He may have opened an account on Tumblr, Instagram, or (less likely) DeviantArt.

Though I still say he’s talking out of his ass ever since the Backpedaling Bonanza of the past few weeks

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Interesting. Probably coincidence but for all the talk we have Skull kid its odd lol. Also, where do you think people have found Loz's stuff?
I really don't know lol. I'm asking because I don't really know where to find those type of "leaks", but I really want to know if Loz18 is on something deep or if he is selling us rocks that, in his opinion, are worth diamonds.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Rex can't use monado arts, can't use backslash, can't use air slash and can't use vision. How would he be an echo?
Instead of Monado...he uses the power of waifus
Isn't Fire Emblem an SRPG? So long as they both use swords, there's no difference in the animation, so technically, they DO fight like one another. Can't speak for Dark Samus, though; never played Metroid beyond Super Metroid.
Some (maybe even most) FE characters have different fighting animations, especially important characters
*hmmm intensifie*
More (un)intentional hints toward Skull Kid joining Smash as a death fighter...yeah

KMDP

Smash Legend
Same. I don't believe it at all and I think it's weird that so many people do, but I will 100% admit I was wrong if it were true, because come on, who could predict that.

Im honestly not sure what they mean here, they say it's not the same but then say it has all the same stuff....my guess is nothing new so the King K. Rool and Dark Samus/Chrom videos were just internal. Bummer.​
Sounds like what they're saying is that the Gamescon build of the Smash Ultimate demo was made in July like the E3 one, but has everything the E3 build had and more.

It weirds me out to see a Japanese person call Isaac "Isaac" and not "ロビン" (Robin).

And again Robin in Japan is "ルフレ" (Reflet) so there's no overlap.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Is there any specific reason I'm not understanding as to why Paper Mario isn't showing up in a decent amount of these? Why would Shantae and X make it before him? Kinda hurts my soul, but it's okay.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I haven't latched on to any of these leaks. Not Loz18, Vergeben, or any of them. Unless it's backed up to the same extent that the 3DS ESRB leak was, I won't risk disappointment.​

RandomAce

Smash Champion

*hmmm intensifie*
He said it was expensive so it’s maybe one of those statues you can actually buy.

I also like how one guy said “incoming Skull Kid comments”.

Last edited:

abrinx77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Abrinx
Okay, so what would everyone's reaction to this trailer concept be?

It's nighttime. Wario walks atop a dusty desert dune and, over the horizon, spots some ancient ruins. He wipes the sweat from his brow and half-heartedly scratches his butt, clearly showing signs of fatigue, and he presses forward. As he walks, the camera pans upward to show a bustling city right at the outskirts of the desert, showing that he barely walked at all.

Inside the dilapidated temple, Wario spots something that hops away into a chamber. He follows it, thinking it will lead him to the fabled treasure. He corners the creature, who is guarding the ancient chest. It's Pichu. Wario does a backhanded slap, knocking the Baby Pokémon away, and it runs off crying.

Wario rubs his palms together and goes to pry open the chest, but a shadow looms over him. Wario looks ahead and sees Pichu waving at him with a wicked grin on its face. But Pichu isn't making the ominous shadow.

A blast of brilliant light zaps toward Wario as he quickly crumbles to a cartoony pile of dust with eyes and his signature nose and mustache. Blinking in disbelief, the soot pile stares up at the assailant. The camera pans to reveal...

SIGILYPH
Lines Up!

-GAMEPLAY MONTAGE-

Final scene shows Sigilyph floating around the area as soot-pile-Wario's eyes try desperately to reach the treasure, only for him to roll his eyes in annoyance that it's just out of reach.

Just for the sheer absurdity of it, how would you react?
I'd unironically love this. I used Sigilyph a ton. At least it would be different.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
It weirds me out to see a Japanese person call Isaac "Isaac" and not "ロビン" (Robin)..
In my region Isaac´s name is "Hans", so maybe he's just like me and call him Isaac because it's how the most people on the internet calls him

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's also nice that the ones who are playing actually know what they're doing, like the guy who played K. Rool obviously had plenty of experience with him and did a pretty good showcase of the character. Looking for good Ridley players was like trying to find a needle in a haystack (for obvious reasons of course, not blaming people for not being good with a completely new character in a game they've never played before).

Last edited:

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I just realized that if Rare has stayed with Nintendo, we may have seen Lanky and Chunky Kong in Smash already as fighters or assist trophies. :(

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I haven't seen K. Rool act out of his neutral B after firing his blunderbuss (unless I missed it somewhere). I've always seen him continue to sucking things in. It looks awesome but if he can't cancel out of neutral B that'd be pretty rough.

D

Deleted member

Since you guys seem to be misunderstanding this tweet and the image, it's not made by Japanese fans, unless you want me to believe someone with Japanese as their native language is called "Luciano". It seems more like the guy just took the pic from somewhere and edited it(which, if you guys just do a simple Google reverse search, will find out it was originally posted on English websites)
Also, the text roughly says "who'll come in the next Direct?"

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I haven't latched on to any of these leaks. Not Loz18, Vergeben, or any of them. Unless it's backed up to the same extent that the 3DS ESRB leak was, I won't risk disappointment.​
A leak like the 3DS ESRB or the Ryu/Roy dlc leak might...might not happen ever again
I just realized that if Rare has stayed with Nintendo, we may have seen Lanky and Chunky Kong in Smash already as fighters or assist trophies. :(
They probably wouldn’t have been affected that much (nearly forgotten maybe, but that’s about it)

Aeronite's Kiseki

Smash Journeyman
So just watched the Yooka-Laylee reveal for Brawlout and I think they kind of off-handedly shade Smash a little bit

Yooka: "Look at this Laylee, this time we get to be the guest characters in someone else's game!"

Laylee: "It's about time! You'd think working with that blue knight guy we'd have a little more clout"

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
All DKC Content is Nintendo's property. Tiptup the turtle may be the only exception because he was in Diddy Kong Racing + the DS port but also a recurring Banjo character.

The Kremlings/K Rool retained use in the mario football and baseball games and were only retired because the DKC series was revived and nintendo/retro wanted to focus on new characters over the kremlings. There are 0 legal reasons behind the lack of rare era dk characters until now, only personal reasons only those at nintendo know.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
We would’ve gotten Banjo in Smash by Brawl.

Lanky and Chunky definitely wouldn’t be Fighters.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Nintendo still owns both Lanky and Chunky. They still have the rights to everything Rare created for their Donkey Kong titles. It's still not out of the question.​

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Nah, that probably wouldn't have made a difference. We just now got K. Rool. At most we may have gotten K. Rool a little earlier in say Brawl. Banjo-Kazooie would probably already be on though... and maybe Krystal.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
The Kremlings/K Rool retained use in the mario football and baseball games and were only retired because the DKC series was revived and nintendo/retro wanted to focus on new characters over the kremlings. There are 0 legal reasons behind the lack of rare era dk characters until now, only personal reasons only those at nintendo know.
Maybe Nintendo/Retro/Sakurai found all characters but K Rool useless to deal with, making it illegal for Nintendo themselves to ever mention what they consider the “darkest Kong moment other than the rap” (if someone uses the “meant to be forgotten”characters, Reggie and the Nintenjas will strike down the perpetrator)

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Loz mentioned wanting a comic artist. He may have opened an account on Tumblr, Instagram, or (less likely) DeviantArt.

Though I still say he’s talking out of his *** ever since the Backpedaling Bonanza of the past few weeks
I wrote him offering my help for it but he only left me with something around the lines of "thanks, I will write you back after i review it" (it being the examples of how my works look like). Nothing strange really, all clients can leave you at that if they find someone better or whatever, I don't care, that's just how business are.

But a few moments ago, I honestly just lost the very small % of care and attention I was giving him up until now. He was certain enough to drop those hint tweets last night and today he tweeted saying he has no info regarding the role of skull kid at all. Basically he just confessed he is a ****ing idiot. I confronted him telling him that kind of discrepancy and behaviour literally just ruined the trust anyone can have on him and that's just troll bevahior. His respones after I said that were just as immature as his current bevahior. The kid is full of **** and wasting other people's time, I'm done with him.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
It's a strange feeling, too. Hoenn and Unova are my two favorite regions, but while Gardevoir makes a ton of sense for a Hoennese Pokémon character, having the Unovan Pokémon be Gothitelle over the more prominent choices (the starters, Zoroark, Genesect, Victini...) or the fan favorite choices (Chandelure, Haxorus, Krookodile, Golurk...) would just feel...hollow. Almost insultingly so, haha. Like "we wanted to represent all the regions, but your favorite region was deemed low enough priority for a low-priority, low-popularity echo at most." Obviously the thought process wouldn't actually be that, but still.
This is one of the reasons why I really don't like the whole push around it being 'a representation of all generations'. Yeah all of them are there, but it doesn't really feel like a proper 'representation' when all of the other generations get popular/prominent Pokémon from them while one essentially gets scraps.

To be honest, I'd say the Unova Pokémon League feels more like proper 'representation' then that since at least that immortalizes an iconic moment in Gen 5, Gothitelle doesn't have that same memorability whether within the generation or out.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Maybe Nintendo/Retro/Sakurai found all characters but K Rool useless to deal with, making it illegal for Nintendo themselves to ever mention what they consider the “darkest Kong moment other than the rap” (if someone uses the “meant to be forgotten”characters, Reggie and the Nintenjas will strike down the perpetrator)
What are you talking about? Chunky was an assist trophy in Smash 4. I saw him at Best Buy!

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
So I found out that none of the DK64 trio were going to be in Diddy Pilot, plus only Tiny was confirmed for Donkey Kong Racing. So yeah, nevermind haha.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom