• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
On the OoT vs TP Ganondorf topic, I feel like the OoT guy is a better fit for Smash simply because a lot of his moves look more natural on his build to me. I guess it makes sense as his build is the reason he was chosen as a Falcon clone in the first place.
What I'm saying is to make OoT Dorf and TP Dorf into different characters so that the latter one can be fully uncloned.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
i just realized the ResetERA leak said there was going to be 5 echoes, and he named 3 of them

That doesn't leave room for Richter

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
So I've recently discovered the Gothitelle thing, and it made me think about the prospect of getting a playable Pokémon from every generation thanks to Echo fighters.

I'm sorry but I don't like the idea of playable Gothitelle in Smash, I don't have a specific grudge or dislike of this Pokémon in particular, it just... would stick like a sore thumb in the playable Pokémon roster, it really wouldn't feel like a Nintendo All-Star at all. But I have another idea for a playable Pokémon from every gen so far.

First of course bring us a unique gen VII Pokémon newcomer, then add two Echo fighters to represent Hoenn and Unova respectively. This makes me think I half-jokingly speculated a few weeks ago about Victini as an Echo of Pikachu. They roughly have the same body shape, Victini just has a thinner body between the head and legs, and they have the same Pokédex size. Here's how I imagine it:
  • Thunder Jolt becomes Incinerate: Victini takes the same pose as Pikachu, but the projectile is a fireball that works like Mario's custom big fireball.
  • Skull Bash becomes Zen Headbutt and is functionally the same.
  • Quick Attack remains the same.
  • Thunder becomes Searing Shot: Victini takes the same pose as Pikachu then powerful flames surround its body and damage anyone nearby.
  • Final Smash becomes V-Create and is basically a clone of Marth's and Lucina's Final Smash except a fiery V appears instead of a hit point counter.
In addition, Pikachu's electric effects, asides from Quick Attack and the pummel, would be replaced by flame effects. When I thought about Victini as a Pikachu Echo earlier I thought it would probably not work because of the animation differences but Dark Samus suggests that they're being a bit more liberal with animation changes that I expected them to be, as Victini's animations would certainly be less intensive to differenciate from Pikachu's that Dark Samus, basically it would be giving it a different idle stance as well as walking and running animations (which would certainly be floating like DS as suggested by the datamined animations from SM).

The cons are that Victini has longer arms, which would make it a bit harder to port over Pikachu's animations. I also had a shorter tail, but this would probably only affect the up smash's range.

And for the Hoenn rep Gardevoir is good, but rather than a unique newcomer, make it an Echo of Mewtwo. They have roughly the same body shape and abilities (Gardevoir can learn all of Mewtwo's special moves from Smash), so it could work. The big con is that Gardevoir lacks a tail, although the dress-like feature could be a workable substitute, at least down tilt, up tilt and up air: I admit it would look weird on forward tilt, back air and especially down throw. For other attributes, while Mewtwo uses dark magic aesthetics, Gardevoir would instead use light magic similar to Zelda, and could have Shadow Ball replaced with Moonblast (while being functionally similar). And for the Final Smash Gardevoir uses Hyper Beam, which works as a clone of Pokémon Trainer's Final Smash. It might sound generic, but don't forget that it would be a reference to Mega Gardevoir's Pixilate ability, and it would be colored in pink as a reference to this. It can also be more functionally similar to Mewtwo's FS if you replace Hyper Beam with Hyper Voice, but it seems a bit less hype.

I said earlier that with the exception of Dark Samus all potential echo ideas I generally saw as nice bonus rather than something I want, but I think I've found new echo fighters I really want. It would be such an amazing way to have all regions get playable representation! If they get revealed in a trailer with a gen VII Pokémon newcomer and a Pokémon boss like Guzzlord I think I would be incredibly hyper hyper and it would be a Pokémon fan's wet dream when it comes to Smash. Those who are not genwunners anyway

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Sorry to butt into the echo discussion, but one thing I’ve noticed about all of them is that the echo and the character they’re an echo of are both from the same series:
- Chrom is a Roy echo (with some Ike elements), Lucina is a Marth echo. All these share one series in common - Fire Emblem
- Richter is a Simon echo, both are from Castlevania
- Dark Samus is a Samus echo (with some animation liberties), both from Metroid
- Dark Pit is a Pit echo, both from Kid Icarus
- Daisy is a Peach echo, both from Mario

I don’t think we’ll ever get an echo for a character who’s of a different series than their base character. Ganondorf started as a bigger and slower clone of Captain Falcon, but eventually became Luigified up to today, where he even uses a sword, so he obviously isn’t an echo despite sharing some similarities.

Dr. Mario isn’t a Mario echo per se either, cause his jumping skills are impaired compared to Mario. In that respect you could consider Doc “Luigified” as well.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Well there was the “red eyes” tweet which may have been a reference to Simon and K Rool.

Then there’s the question as to why that pillow and those chairs. And why are they just chilling there.

But mainly it’s just fun to speculate
I’m just playing the waiting game.

I didn’t even noticed the chairs, pillows, barrels, and ladder rope, and I seriously doubt that they were meant to hint at other characters, especially the last two because it doesn’t even resemble anything that hints at King K. Rool.

I feel that after Loz18 leaked Skull Kid, everyone started looking everywhere to prove why Skull Kid is actually in.

But what I don’t see mentioned a lot is how strange Loz18 has been acting shortly afterward. First, he seemed disappeared soon after he mentioned Skull Kid was getting added because they were going to promote something, added with the fact that Nintendo has been giving false information to catch leaks, and the fact there doesn’t seem to be anything for LOZ for Skull Kid to promote and not that far ahead of time back 2.5 years ago, and with Loz18 recently beginning to give just speculation instead of information after his short disappearance...

Something tells me they used Skull Kid as bait to trap whoever was leaking information, and Skull Kid isn’t actually in Smash.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
https://www.reddit.com/r/castlevania/comments/95o6kq/here_are_the_songs_that_will_be_in_smash_bros/ This link has the names and links to the tracks, though it links to the NES Vampire Killer theme when the Smash trailer used the Chronicles/Judgement one, not sure which personally
Meanwhile, I find it curious that they link to the NTSC versions of CVIII's tracks, when the Akumajo Densetsu ones are much more notable in Japan:

Edit: Also, I'd like the Chronicles Vampire Killer for Dracula's Castle rave party feelings. :chuckle:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's probably why. The cost to licence it must be immense.
And Nintendo has deep deep pockets.

Ahh well, at least modding exists I guess... But it would be hype to see it at tournaments on hazardless Midgar.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I didn’t even noticed the chairs, pillows, barrels, and ladder rope, and I seriously doubt that they were meant to hint at other characters, especially the last two because it doesn’t even resemble anything that hints at King K. Rool.

I feel that after Loz18 leaked Skull Kid, everyone started looking everywhere to prove why Skull Kid is actually in. But Loz18 disappeared soon after he mentioned Skull Kid was getting added because they were going to promote something, added with the fact that Nintendo has been giving false information to catch leaks, and the fact there doesn’t seem to be anything for LOZ for Skull Kid to promote and not that far ahead of time back 2.5 years ago, and with Loz18 recently beginning to give just speculation instead of information after his short disappearance...

Something tells me they used Skull Kid as bait to trap whoever was leaking information, and Skull isn’t actually in Smash.
Honestly? Same. I have a feeling Soren, Gardevoir and Gothitelle may be fake outs too, especially with regard to the datamine leak, cause remember, after the Royu datamine, Sakurai decided to name all future DLC slots after Mario.

Sorry to anyone who wanted Gardevoir though :( at least there’s no Gothitelle

D

Deleted member

And Nintendo has deep deep pockets.

Ahh well, at least modding exists I guess... But it would be hype to see it at tournaments on hazardless Midgar.
It may have just cost more than what Nintendo was willing to pay for a single music track.

Last edited by a moderator:

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
"phew" read through 2983 to now. I wonder what's for dinner? lol off topic. So...

Let's say I'm not expecting too many newbies for September's Direct like with the August Direct.(5 newcomers...WOW!)
I'm hoping to expect maybe 3 newcomers. -1 newcomer & 2 echos. That's just me. Sakurai can go overboard for all I know.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If it's not a Smash-focused direct I could only see one pop-up trailer at the end or nothing at all. One or the other.

KingBroly

Smash Lord

I feel that after Loz18 leaked Skull Kid, everyone started looking everywhere to prove why Skull Kid is actually in.

But what I don’t see mentioned a lot is how strange Loz18 has been acting shortly afterward. First, he seemed disappeared soon after he mentioned Skull Kid was getting added because they were going to promote something, added with the fact that Nintendo has been giving false information to catch leaks, and the fact there doesn’t seem to be anything for LOZ for Skull Kid to promote and not that far ahead of time back 2.5 years ago, and with Loz18 recently beginning to give just speculation instead of information after his short disappearance...

Something tells me they used Skull Kid as bait to trap whoever was leaking information, and Skull Kid isn’t actually in Smash.
We haven't seen Shadow or Skull Kid yet, both characters that had the same AT effect, I believe.

D

Deleted member

We haven't seen Shadow or Skull Kid yet, both characters that had the same AT effect, I believe.
Not exactly. Shadow slows time, while Skull Kid did can reverse controls, make everyone invisible, or flip the camera.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

Oh, yes the chairs and pillows probably mean nothing and wouldn’t even have been speculated over if not for Loz, but...

The fact that he got a Mii Costume and his AT is missing while the Moon was added certainly makes it possible that he is a fighter, especially given his popularity and the overall want for a new Zelda rep

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Back to the whole “bait” thing

With all that in mind, the possibility (in my mind at least) that Skull Kid, Soren, Gardevoir and Gothitelle are bait used to trap leakers, I think the ProtonMail leak holds the most credibility at the moment. Since ProtonMail uses end to end encryption and you can set messages to self destruct, both in the recipient’s inbox and your outbox. The whole “not the whole list” may also be a way of the leaker covering their own ass and only leaking bit by bit as an additional measure and/or verifying REALLY well that they’re in before sending those encrypted self destructing emails.

(Wow gee, I never thought a course I took in grad school, which I later dropped out of, would come in handy one day...ohhhh man don’t get me started cause I’d be nerding out about encryption technologies and **** aaaaaaaaaa)

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord

With all that in mind, the possibility (in my mind at least) that Skull Kid, Soren, Gardevoir and Gothitelle are bait used to trap leakers, I think the ProtonMail leak holds the most credibility at the moment. Since ProtonMail uses end to end encryption and you can set messages to self destruct, both in the recipient’s inbox and your own. The whole “not the whole list” may also be a way of the leaker covering their own *** and only leaking bit by bit as an additional measure and/or verifying REALLY well that they’re in before sending those encrypted self destructing emails.

(Wow gee, I never thought a course I took in grad school, which I later dropped out of, would come in handy one day...ohhhh man don’t get me started cause I’d be nerding out about encryption technologies and **** aaaaaaaaaa)
What leak is this?

KingBroly

Smash Lord

With all that in mind, the possibility (in my mind at least) that Skull Kid, Soren, Gardevoir and Gothitelle are bait used to trap leakers, I think the ProtonMail leak holds the most credibility at the moment. Since ProtonMail uses end to end encryption and you can set messages to self destruct, both in the recipient’s inbox and your own. The whole “not the whole list” may also be a way of the leaker covering their own *** and only leaking bit by bit as an additional measure and/or verifying REALLY well that they’re in before sending those encrypted self destructing emails.

ProtonMail leak?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
So some have a theory that in this game the new Multi-Man Smash theme will be a bunch of Dittos transformed into other fighters, what is your thoughts on the possibility?
DkFnAATXoAI99Sp.jpg

ThatRedPlumber

Smash Apprentice
Inb4 Ashley is an Assist Trophy again because we’re getting either Jimmy T. or Kat and Ana as a Wario Ware rep.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
ProtonMail leak?
What leak is this?
Super Smash Bros. Direct will reveal Simon Belmont. Menu will be shown off.

-----BEGIN-----
Version: BCPG C# v1.6.1.0
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=7xNq
-----END-----
It leads to a now empty mailbox that had a message that said:

“Simon Belmont
Heihachi
Lloyd Irving
Isabelle
Waddle Dee

Not the complete list.”

(Copying image sources is a ***** on mobile sorry, I’m just transcribing what it said in the snapshot. The email address was “imgur(some sequence of letters)@protonmail.ch)

What lends credence is the whole “Waddle Dee” name, which is most likely Bandana Waddle Dee since that name was too long and “Bandana Dee” is a fan nickname. It would also explain why ALL Waddle Dees are absent from Dedede’s moveset, even those that don’t wear bandanas.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
View attachment 157282

Imagine this remade in 3D for Smash ultimate for Porky's final smash.
Spookiest final smash ever.
If Porky got that, I'd want the screen to start freaking out and everyone taking seemingly random knockbacks and damage in quick succession in a random rhythm. I want people to not grasp the true form of Giygas' attack.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
"phew" read through 2983 to now. I wonder what's for dinner? lol off topic. So...

Let's say I'm not expecting too many newbies for September's Direct like with the August Direct.(5 newcomers...WOW!)
I'm hoping to expect maybe 3 newcomers. -1 newcomer & 2 echos. That's just me. Sakurai can go overboard for all I know.
If it's not a Smash-focused direct I could only see one pop-up trailer at the end or nothing at all. One or the other.
Yeah, I could see it being a regular direct with one character reveal at the end to catch people off-guard.

Inb4 Ashley is an Assist Trophy again because we’re getting either Jimmy T. or Kat and Ana as a Wario Ware rep.
I'd swap Kat/Ana for Mona, but otherwise I like that possibility.

So some have a theory that in this game the new Multi-Man Smash theme will be a bunch of Dittos transformed into other fighters, what is your thoughts on the possibility?
View attachment 157283
That'd be great, honestly.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
Anyone else notices how during Richter's victory animation the sashes on his bandana just float up for no reason?

During the dynamic slow-motion colour flash.

Is that the Ghost of Luigi?

Iridium

Smash Hero

We need these tracks, for we need some creepy music. I'm not kidding about the second one.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I'm just saying, if we got 9-Volt we'd have the closet thing to Team Captain N in legal terms.
9-Volt, Peach and Duck Hunt paired with Simon, MegaMan and Pit.

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else notices how during Richter's victory animation the sashes on his bandana just float up for no reason?

Maybe Richter has the same wind bending powers as Phoenix Wright

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
That'd be out of left field, but any WarioWare representation is always welcome. Kat and Ana would be interesting, kinda like Ice Climbers.

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
Shadow- more antiheroes like Dark Pit & Meta Knight
Skull Kid- more villains like K. Rool & Ridley

The way I see it, we're about to see more of them baddies shine after the overabundance of heroic newcomers in Smash 4. only villains were Bowser Jr. & I guess Duck Hunt Duo if you want to consider them one. All pettiness aside, its more if they interest me the most. Ridley & K. Rool= 100% interested!

Now if only we need Viridi, Black Shadow, Porky & Skull Kid, I'm all set for Nintendo villains. And I guess you can throw Medusa in, but, I dunno, she's not really for me anymore. Used to be my go to but I just moved on because of the Goddess of Nature. Sorry.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Shadow- more antiheroes like Dark Pit & Meta Knight
Skull Kid- more villains like K. Rool & Ridley

The way I see it, we're about to see more of them baddies shine after the overabundance of heroic newcomers in Smash 4. only villains were Bowser Jr. & I guess Duck Hunt Duo if you want to consider them one. All pettiness aside, its more if they interest me the most. Ridley & K. Rool= 100% interested!

Now if only we need Viridi, Black Shadow, Porky & Skull Kid, I'm all set for Nintendo villains. And I guess you can throw Medusa in, but, I dunno, she's not really for me anymore. Used to be my go to but I just moved on because of the Goddess of Nature. Sorry.
I want Viridi solely because of the sass she'd display in battle.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
About the whole only 1 newcomer only for a general Nintendo Direct.

The E3 2014 Direct revealed 2 newcomers(well 4 when counting the Mii Fighters as separate). So this isn't exactly another smash rule set in stone.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Honestly not really buying that Gothitelle and Gardevoir leak, because Gothitelle is well random and while Gardevoir is a mon that has hold its popularity to some degree, but why choose Gardevoir to rep Gen 3, when Sakurai can pick Blaziken, which is one of the few mons like Lucario & Greninja that can rival in the popularity of well all Gen 1 mons, because the Gen 1 mons is where the mainstream is the most familiar with.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

I think the explosion effect actually has a windbox so anything with physics will get blown around. For instance I think Snake's Bandanna does the same in his victory screens.

What I'm more interested in is that they added ****ING LITERAL CASTLEVANIA into the background of his and Simon's victory screens. That's ****ing dope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom