• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
To put it simply, if Goku gets in due to the ballot, then it's only fair we put in the obvious 2nd place as well.

You know, some-body once told me the world was gonna roll me. That I wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

But she was lookin' kinda dumb with her finger and her thumb in the shape of an L on her forehead.

Really, if Goku gets in because 'muh ballot' then Shrek or other stupid choices like Pepsiman have just as much of a shot, and at that point we need to question if we've passed the point of no return.
Yeha but unlike Shrek and Pepsiman, Goku has legitimate support and demand too. He's not only just a meme.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Laura Croft is a character I can actually see making it into Smash, not going to lie.
As much as I love her and want her in it's not exactly likely due to her realistic firearms. And it's Lara btw

What's the correlation here? Tekken isn't Smash.
Anyway, if we're talking about non-video game characters in Smash Bros., absolutely none of them deserve to be in.

Except for one. Hear me out. It'll never happen in a million years, but regardless...

Mickey Mouse.

Disney has had a stock in the video game industry for a long time, all the way back to the Game & Watch days. There have been numerous Disney games on almost every single Nintendo console, whether it be NES to Wii U, or Game Boy to 3DS. Not to mention, Disney's collaborated with nearly every other company represented in Smash as well, whether it be:
  • The numerous other Disney games on the SEGA Genesis, or the Castle of Illusion remake
  • Namco making Disney Magical World
  • Konami working on Disney Tsum Tsum
  • Square Enix and the Kingdom Hearts series
  • Capcom and their work on tons of Disney games, most notably Ducktales
Also, it'd be worth it just to see who would win in a fight: the King of Video Games or the King of Animation?

Once again, it'll absolutely never happen, but it's fun to be wishful.
Mickey mouse is literally the most iconic character in existence, I wouldn't be mad at all, although i seriously doubt disney would let them put him in a fighting game of all things

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Thats not the point. There is no connection.

The main argument against Goku is that he isn't a video game character, yet an equally, if not more respected, franchise got a much less popular nonvideogame character into their roster. If a semi-nobody like Negan can get into one of the most respected fighting games ever, how can we actually say Goku has a 0% chance to get into Smash?

Thats what I'm saying. It seems like a Sakurai move and if other Japanese devs are doing it, Rwby in BBTAG/Negan in Tekken 7, then what makes you think Sakurai "is above that" or whatever.

You are free to disagree but I genuinely think Goku has a shot. I don't see a legitimate reason why he can't be in Smash. "Shouldn't's" are subject.

Show me the rulebook. Do you mean the bull**** we make up for Smash? More and more are broken every iteration.
oh my god you're right about a nobody like Negan and there's also the Power Rangers crossover Street Fighter is currently doing I do NOT know how to feel about this post

Shroob

Sup?
I personally think the Goku debate gets too heated and I don't think it's really that big of a deal if he or characters of non-video game origins in general were to make it into Smash, I really wouldn't mind if he made it in and don't quite see why a lot of people get so fervent in their opposition to his inclusion. But I always been one of those who don't treat the Smash roster as a sacred thing and thought the concept of who and who doesn't "deserve" to be on the roster to be silly, as opposed to just being a fun game full of characters the fans want to play.

I know Sakurai has laughed off the prospect of Goku being in Smash before, but he is always able to change his mind as he done so many other times, I think the real big issue to Goku's inclusion is licensing difficulties rather than Sakurai absolutely refusing to put any character of non-video game origins into Smash. That said I would be really shocked if it were to actually happen.
To me, it's simple.

Smash is a celebration of gaming history(Primarily Nintendo) through the years. To suddenly throw a random anime character would feel incredibly out of place.

For comparison: PSASBR and Jump Fighting games.

Even though PSASBR made a LOT of blunders, including no Spyro, Cloud, Snake or Crash, the game kept itself primarily to characters you'd relate to Sony and the Playstation. You didn't see Master Chief running around gunning down Dante or Big Daddy.

For Jump games, well you expect characters like Naruto, Goku, Luffy, etc... but if you threw in characters like, I dunno, Spike from Cowboy Bebop or Shinji from Neon Genesis Evangelion, they'd not only stick out like a sore thumb, but have nothing to do with Jump.

Smash can be stretched to be about 'gaming' in general, since we have characters like Cloud who has only ever been in Nintendo games as cameos, but if you start throwing in random anime or other characters like that, Smash stops being a showcase of gaming history and becomes, well, whatever Smash would be with ****ing Naruto and Sasuke angsting it up on Final Destination.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
My 2 cents is that Smash has always been about video games first and foremost.

Other fighting games have always had a habit of throwing in other things that clashes with their ideals(Movie Slashers in the Mortal Kombat world honestly makes 0 sense), but Smash has always been consistent in keep things pure.

The most 'out there' we've ever gone is Cloud, who's primarily a Playstation character, and I'd be fine with an XBox/PC character truth be told, but I honestly feel like Smash should stick to video games only.

It's a slippery slope if you throw in anime. Sure, you put Goku in this game, then people are gonna want Luffy, Naruto, Sasuke, Sailor Moon, Jotaro, Detective Conan, Spike, Lina Inverse, ****ing Idolmaster, Hatsune Miku, Haruhi, Shrek, Cory in the House, Ronald Mcdonald, Burger King, thot, etc etc etc

It's a slippery slope.
Exactly! It would ruin the purpose of what Smash is supposed to be about: popular and iconic video game characters battling it out on who is the best

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Tabuu seems like a Dragonball Z villain.

Maybe he'll be the boss (and possible playable character) in Smash ULTIMATE!

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Sora's still missing. We're all seriously sleeping on him. Dude placed as one of the top 5 characters expected to be in Smash in a major Japanese publication. I'd also say choices like Paper Luigi and Crankey Kong are practically nobodies, and shouldn't be on this list.
I think it's unfair to call Cranky Kong a nobody. On top of being the original Arcade DK (this is confirmed in Snakes Brawl codecs, of all things) he appears in every single DKC game as well as all of the Paon ones.

Sure I dont think he is a likely character by any stretch of the imagination (and that's not biased as I'd personally love to see him) but I do think you've sold him a little short.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Show me the rulebook. Do you mean the bull**** we make up for Smash? More and more are broken every iteration.
The bull**** that Sakurai has stuck with throughout Smash history, with only James Bonds getting close to that rule not existing

Even if he was actually viable, Sakurai (if he wants him in) would have to go through Akira Toriyama for permission to use the Sayian Warrior...also Nintendo history and Gaming in general are being celebrated in Smash, not everything

Don’t get me wrong, Goku in Smash would be ****ing amazing, but unlike Ridley/Villager/Daisy/Cloud, Goku doesn’t have a massive chance in getting in with his “non-gaming character” placement (if he was a gaming character first, then he’d have joined a decade ago)

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
nah, this game isn't getting non video game characters, there is still plenty of videogame characters and honestly, very few resources left (or what ppl usually mistake by "slots") now.. say... ten years in the future, smash ultimate is such a great game (and recieved tons of support) that is simposible to do better, then we could probably end with a smash reboot, and in said reboot if they really NEED the shock factor, we may see a non video game originated character.

(With the sole exception of "Hatsune Miku" but i honestly don't see it happening)

and again... we are getting cultural icons, that are IMPORTANT to the videogame medium, say, goku, spiderman, darth vader, batman, geralt of rivia...but no superman, or Bender from futurama, or sadly korra, (or shrek...)

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
Since Ultimate is coming out and it does look better than Smash 4, everyone loves to dump on Smash 4 in this thread.
Smash 4 did do some great things, like remove tripping, we got good DLC characters and characters in general, and FOR GLORY. Smash Run was also fun and customs were a great mechanic in the game.
Smash 4 gets dumped on because its an overall forgettable Smash game. It's best qualities like the newcomers are all being completely adopted by Ultimate and there's just no reason to stick by the game anymore. The good qualities are overshadowed by its mediocrity compared to previous titles. Most if not all its features are underwhelming or half baked, like custom moves and the single player modes. Most of the praise its mechanics got are ones it fixed from Brawl that shouldn't have ever been in the first place, and it still doesn't go all the way with it because it's still pretty floaty. The single player modes are intolerable, the UI is a mess, it lacks a distinct art style, the Wii U version has the worst stages in history and the soundtrack is forgettable.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Personally I don't want Goku in for the same reason I don't even like Dragonball crossing over with other franchises. Dragonball's full of universe destroyers, watching Pichu kick the **** out of him is just too damn weird for me.

To be honest Goku's so OP whenever I see a cutscene of him fighting Luffy it's like watching a grizzly bear fighting a hamster to me. And I prefer Luffy, but goddamn does it feel weird watching Goku fighting people he could crush by breathing hard on them somehow putting up a fight against him as he reaches his Super Saiyan Ultra Instinct Ascended God Super Saiyan 3 Blue Kaioken X 20 form.

Weirdly I only ever have this issue with Dragonball characters.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Anyway, if we're talking about non-video game characters in Smash Bros., absolutely none of them deserve to be in.

Except for one. Hear me out. It'll never happen in a million years, but regardless...

Mickey Mouse.

Disney has had a stock in the video game industry for a long time, all the way back to the Game & Watch days. There have been numerous Disney games on almost every single Nintendo console, whether it be NES to Wii U, or Game Boy to 3DS. Not to mention, Disney's collaborated with nearly every other company represented in Smash as well, whether it be:
  • The numerous other Disney games on the SEGA Genesis, or the Castle of Illusion remake
Also, it'd be worth it just to see who would win in a fight: the King of Video Games or the King of Animation?

Mickey mouse is literally the most iconic character in existence, I wouldn't be mad at all, although i seriously doubt disney would let them put him in a fighting game of all things
Personally, if we're going old-school Western inclusions, there is one I'd be perfectly fine with.

Picture_2.png

Popeye the Sailor Man! Toot-toot.

The main reasons being the following:

1. Once upon a time, Miyamoto sought to get the rights from King Features to make a video game based on him, but couldn't at the time, leading to Mario, Donkey Kong and Pauline, replacing Popeye, Bluto and Olive. Were it not for that, things would be very different at Nintendo, so Mario owes a lot to him.
2. His game by Nintendo did get made and had a decent amount of success, being released on anything in the Atari days. He also got an exclusive Game & Watch game, to boot.
3. He will become public domain within a few years, since his creator E.C. Segar has long since passed decades ago, making him more likely than ever before.

So really, he would be a true historical guest.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord

Mickey Mouse.

But Mickey was already in Brawl and everyone forgot about him, same with Popeye
brawlchronicle.PNG

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
While i'd be incredibly disappointed, I could get over Ashley not being playable.
But if Shrek got in over her? I can't even imagine my frustration.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Incredible.
Harada's an absolute madman. He got upset when someone posted a fake leak of Thomas the Tank Engine for Tekken, and devotes a full day every single year just to celebrating his waifu's birthday.

I love seeing creators play around with their fans. Makes me happy that Sakurai just did it not too long ago too.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
While i'd be incredibly disappointed, I could get over Ashley not being playable.
But if Shrek got in over her? I can't even imagine my frustration.
I'd be so happy and I'd main Shrek for the rest of my life.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Personally I don't want Goku in for the same reason I don't even like Dragonball crossing over with other franchises. Dragonball's full of universe destroyers, watching Pichu kick the **** out of him is just too damn weird for me.

To be honest Goku's so OP whenever I see a cutscene of him fighting Luffy it's like watching a grizzly bear fighting a hamster to me. And I prefer Luffy, but goddamn does it feel weird watching Goku fighting people he could crush by breathing hard on them somehow putting up a fight against him as he reaches his Super Saiyan Ultra Instinct Ascended God Super Saiyan 3 Blue Kaioken X 20 form.

Aren’t there some universal or highly powerful characters in Smash? That’s the impression I got when visiting the “Who’s canonically the most powerful character in Smash” thread.

You could say the same thing about certain characters in Smash itself, right?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I think it's unfair to call Cranky Kong a nobody. On top of being the original Arcade DK (this is confirmed in Snakes Brawl codecs, of all things) he appears in every single DKC game as well as all of the Paon ones.

Sure I dont think he is a likely character by any stretch of the imagination (and that's not biased as I'd personally love to see him) but I do think you've sold him a little short.
I didn't mean to discount him as a character. I meant to say that he's a nobody in the speculation scene.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Aren’t there some universal or highly powerful characters in Smash? That’s the impression I got when visiting the “Who’s canonically the most powerful character in Smash” thread.

Kirby is the second most powerful right behind Ultra Instinct Mario, and right after Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Mii Brawler.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Call me crazy but I have a feeling we might be getting Banjo-Kazooie along with a Minecraft stage.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I uh...
Wow.
My condolences. I didn't mean to bring up such bad memories.
Nah it's ok, I was actually decent at the game (I just left because I never really jammed with the way it plays). It's not like Skullgirls where it's both dead and full of players who are so high skilled. I also do have a recorded match in a small online tournament before I went by Lisa Mc.Rad... but I think it's lost to the times or maybe that person deleted their youtube channel

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

It's not really as pronounced I guess. Sure Kirby and Sonic are mega overpowered when they reach their full power, but they don't blow up a planet and get declared the strongest being in the universe every single game. Hell, I can still find it believable that Mario could knock Sonic's stuffing out of him.

Meanwhile I cannot imagine Mario's punches affecting Goku at all. I can't explain it, but I think Dragonball went too far off the deep end with it's ridiculous OP feats as the main attraction of the series that it's just weird.

Closest feeling in Smash I have to that is Mewtwo being able to be destroyed by Pichu in Melee and now Ultimate.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
The bull**** that Sakurai has stuck with throughout Smash history, with only James Bonds getting close to that rule not existing

Even if he was actually viable, Sakurai (if he wants him in) would have to go through Akira Toriyama for permission to use the Sayian Warrior...also Nintendo history and Gaming in general are being celebrated in Smash, not everything

Don’t get me wrong, Goku in Smash would be ****ing amazing, but unlike Ridley/Villager/Daisy/Cloud, Goku doesn’t have a massive chance in getting in with his “non-gaming character” placement (if he was a gaming character first, then he’d have joined a decade ago)
I didn't say he had a massive chance. I'm saying has does have A chance.

• Sakurai is a human.
  • Humans can/and often do change their minds.
  • Sakurai can change his mind.

The fact stands that he did consider James Bond. If he was willing to consider it for James Bond why not a highly requested, very popular titan of media like Goku?

Once again, I'm not saying Goku confirmed. I'm just saying, I think its possible.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Kirby is the second most powerful right behind Ultra Instinct Mario, and right after Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Mii Brawler.
if kirby abosrbs goku wouldn't that be like multiplying infinite by infinite?

Or maybe kirby should aborb cell and finally be able to be a Stier character

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
It's not really as pronounced I guess. Sure Kirby and Sonic are mega overpowered when they reach their full power, but they don't blow up a planet .
nah but he can do this

if kirby abosrbs goku wouldn't that be like multiplying infinite by infinite?

Or maybe kirby should aborb cell and finally be able to be a Stier character
Kirby should absorb Buu and look almost no different except for the antenna.
I'm sure he'd be a happier little chocolate eater.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Dude, Shrek isn't even high tier in Shrek Super Slam. I know since I was a part of that scene and he's just the worst...
Wow Shrek is super low tier. Little Red Riding Hood is the top character which is so random and I guess Human Fiona is the Zero Suit Samus of the game.
Edit: Apparently Little Red Riding Hood was this game's Meta Knight/Bayo. She's banned.

Last edited:

Triangles

Smash Rookie

Yet, we still have a dog and duck being able to go toe to toe with a giant space dragon of death, a goddess of light, and of course, Kirby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom