• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I can’t believe over the past few pages has been about nothing but Goku.

Scraping the barrel much if we literally have to discuss if anime characters should be in a Nintendo game or not. (Atleast there’s Smash Flash 2 :p)

But on a different note, what new stages are you hoping to be revealed in the Direct?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Scraping the barrel much if we literally have to discuss if anime characters should be in a Nintendo game or not. (Atleast there’s Smash Flash 2 :p)

But on a different note, what new stages are you hoping to be revealed in the Direct?
Hyperbolic Time Chamber Fountain of Dreams

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

Hyperbolic Time Chamber

:troll:

Untouch

Smash Master
Blog doesn't really update at planned intervals it seems.
I don't think it's anything direct related as Samus got a showcase.
Last week was really late too.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433

I'd like to get a look at the New Donk City stage.

But completely new - something from 16-bit Sonic. Personally I'd love to see Angel Island Zone, but maybe Mirage Saloon Zone as it was featured kinda heavily in promo material.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Wait I just remembered Robobot's pause screen if you don't have an ability. It literally says Kirby has infinite power. So there we go
Infinite power, but can't so much as make a dent in so much as a piece of completely ordinary terrain when not in Megaton Punch/ect. Not even a DENT.

So can the player. I think we're a little bit stronger than ROB.

Ergo, Miis hold all the power.
But, Miis are subservient to the Mii Channel hand cursor, always present and watching, always ready to grab them by the forehead and drag them away...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
But give me Wang Tang, the Power Stone dude loosely based on Goku. Anything Power Stone related I'd love. A Power Stone remake or sequel on the Switch (this would be so awesome), or even a Power Stone styled Smash game.
Sadly, it would need any acknowledgement from current Capcom for that to be possible. Even then, it'd be doubtful if it could avoid the mobile phone treatment unlike Breath of Fire 6.

Kirby doesn't actually die, he just gets annoyed and goes back home to nap
At least until Master Hand prods him to go back in.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
It's not really as pronounced I guess.
It most certainly is.

You have characters like Shulk who:

Created a Universe, wiped out gods out of his universe.

Rosalina who:

Is a reality warper that can restart a universe.

Olimar's spaceship can star bust

Jubeleus from Bayonetta was more durable than a planet.

Sonic even in base survived falls from space without getting damaged, survived sword slashes from a being that manipulated an entire realm with her power and in Super form defeated enemies (Solaris, Time Eater) that were manipulating space on a universal scale and destroying all timelines.

In Kirby Claycia and Drawcia were creating Galaxies, Necrodeus turned suns into small objects and Void was going to destroy everything. Kirby himself split Planet Popstar with a punch.

Yet in Smash they can all be beaten by a literal bird and dog, a fitness trainer, a mayor and a toy.

I can't explain it, but I think Dragonball went too far off the deep end with it's ridiculous OP feats as the main attraction of the series that it's just weird.
Dragon Ball isn't even the most powerful manga/anime out there.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Olimar would really be bottom of the barrel canonically compared to Cloud for instance. He could literally step on him and not even know he did anything.

Not sure about Link, as not every single one has the same abilities, although all are connected through the Triforce and usage of the Master Sword, which also would make him one of the few characters that could convincingly end Ganondorf (weakness to holy weapons).

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct 8.8.2018
593 waiting

- taken from the youtube page.
--------
lol ppl are waiting on the actual page. :p
It's not super surprising. A lot of people like to chat up other people interested in the same thing by doing that.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Yeah, but it is true that when Kirby "game overs" he just kinda goes and takes a nap, whereas the others... probably do something a little bit more permanent?
Wait, so you could say the same thing for Donkey & Diddy Kong, right? They wait until you choose to quit or continue after you lose all of your health.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
:ultwario:man trumps all
Ok you got an excellent and only real point here
I....don't think even half of those could match Rosalina in terms of sheer power.

Rosalina can restart an entire galaxy and time itself whenever she wishes.
Rosalina restarts galaxies
Kirby practically has a dimension inside of him and can do pretty much whatever he wants
Pit has gone up against Hades and Medusa...and pretty much every god in the series (most of the time he does this on his own, even sacrificing his perfect wings to save his inferior clone and has made sure Palutena stays safe for as long as he can)...also has his own Chariot made out of ****ING LIGHTNING
Palutena is a Goddess
Bayonetta has killed Angels/Demons/Gods
Shulk was a God
Link has killed God like people (and I think a God)
Ness I just assume (same with Lucas)
Mario is Mario (also he can possess people)

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
GAH!!! I hate it when I'm tagged on Mondays!!! I'm not on the computer much of the day.

What taglines do you have for your favorite characters? Here's a few of mine...

King K Rool takes over!
Paper Mario folds the competition!
Crash Bandicoot crashes the party!
Boshi devours the competition!
I have a foolproof Bingo card guys.

View attachment 155932
I'm starting to be convinced that Sakurai hates Yoshi.
You're beginning to understand my pain...
Hmmm. I think I need to verify this. Zinith Zinith , do you agree?

Anyway, you are specifically talking about most of the game, right?
Yoshi's New Island's music is okay. Nothing special. Everyone talks about that awful Yoshi Clan song and I don't blame them.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Wait, so you could say the same thing for Donkey & Diddy Kong, right? They wait until you choose to quit or continue after you lose all of your health.
Those two are in the patheon next to Kirby, it seems.

Uh... not the one people were talking about a week or so ago.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It most certainly is.

You have characters like Shulk who:

Created a Universe, wiped out gods out of his universe.

Rosalina who:

Is a reality warper that can restart a universe.

Olimar's spaceship can star bust

Jubeleus from Bayonetta was more durable than a planet.

Sonic even in base survived falls from space without getting damaged, survived sword slashes from a being that manipulated an entire realm with her power and in Super form defeated enemies (Solaris, Time Eater) that were manipulated space on a universal scale and destroying all timelines.

In Kirby Claycia and Drawcia were creating Galaxies, Necrodeus turned suns into small objects and Void was going to destroy everything. Kirby himself split Planet Popstar with a punch.

Yet in Smash they can all be beaten by a literal bird and dog, a fitness trainer, a mayor and a toy.

Dragon Ball isn't even the most powerful manga/anime out there.
Not to mention that DK and Diddy finished off an evil tribe by whacking the goddamn moon at them (and that's a minor feat compared to everything else), Wario getting rid of beings that destroyed entire civilizations by pummeling them into next week (one of those having DESTROYED HIS HOME AND TURNED IT INTO A POCKET DIMENSION, no less), and Captain Falcon basically defeating the Gods of his world by beating them in a race.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct 8.8.2018
593 waiting

- taken from the youtube page.
--------
lol ppl are waiting on the actual page. :p
Maybe there were 592 other people checking up on the page like you were... now they're laughing at the same thing on forums all across the interwebz.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Kirby practically has a dimension inside of him and can do pretty much whatever he wants
Pit has gone up against Hades and Medusa...and pretty much every god in the series (most of the time he does this on his own, even sacrificing his perfect wings to save his inferior clone and has made sure Palutena stays safe for as long as he can)...also has his own Chariot made out of ****ING LIGHTNING
Palutena is a Goddess
Shulk was a God
Ness killed an alien turned Eldritch abomination

Lucas...is strong in a different sense. He didn’t take on gods or Cthulhus, but he endured a lot of hardship, including

losing his mother and having to fight his long-thought-dead brainwashed twin brother

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Sadly, it would need any acknowledgement from current Capcom for that to be possible. Even then, it'd be doubtful if it could avoid the mobile phone treatment unlike Breath of Fire 6.

At least until Master Hand prods him to go back in.
It's Power Stone, I'd be lucky to get anything lol.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.

This is why we need the direct.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Lucas...is strong in a different sense. He didn’t take on gods or Cthulhus, but he endured a lot of hardship, including

losing his mother and having to fight his long-thought-dead brainwashed twin brother
The likes of Rosalina or Kirby may have pure, cosmic power. But Lucas has-
EMOTIONAL FORTITUDE.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Then why did she need Mario's help lol
She was bored and wanted to do something fun for herself

Depressing as ****, only Bayonetta knows how he feels
The likes of Rosalina or Kirby may have pure, cosmic power. But Lucas has-
EMOTIONAL FORTITUDE.
And Pit is just illiterate

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
Hot take:

I don’t like the whole “Elma ain’t the protagonist” reasoning and thinking they’ll pull a “Robin over Chrom” in favor of Cross. The reason being that Cross is truly a blank slate, both in personality and abilities.

Robin? Their class is by default strategist, being able to use magic tomes, and they have a set personality and are crucial to the story. The only things about them that are up to you are their appearance, voice, gender, and who they end up with. They technically can reclass, but Strategist/(whatever is the direct upgrade of Strategist) is usually their best class and they can even go through the whole game without reclassing.

Cross? Has no default personality and doesn’t talk in cutscenes, they just have dialogue lines during certain events that raise affinity with different members depending on the choices you make. They also don’t have a truly “default” class battle wise, their first class is meant to be the worst one and you can take three class paths, each with their own weapons and skills, and can switch at any time. Not to mention it’s a LOT of different weapons.

Now for Chrom vs Elma...

Chrom is indeed one of the protagonists of Awakening alongside Robin and his own daughter, Lucina. In fact, Chrom was considered for the 4 roster and if he was finalized he would probably have been an Ike clone. Sakurai probably hit a hurdle when formulating his move set, unsure what to do with him since Chrom didn’t have any “signature moves” per se for a Lord, or Sakurai couldn’t find a way to make him unique like Robin, so he relegated that fully functional potential fighter render into Robin’s 4 Final Smash.

Now for Elma. While Cross is the player character, I’d argue Elma actually is the protagonist in the truest sense of the word. Since the story focuses on her. She’s the one who finds Cross and takes them to NLA, she’s the one who helped the citizens of NLA escape Earth, she’s the one who does the most of the talking when representing your party in story cutscenes, and your team is always referred to as “Elma’s team”. And I can’t say more because spoilers, but it’s obvious she’s the one X focuses on as its main character. And moveset wise, there is a LOT of untapped uniqueness potential Sakurai can utilize. Elma would be the first true dual sword user (it coulda also been Fiora but...you know...) AND she also has dual guns. TWO sets of main weapons that can be switched on the fly. Also, the Skell. I want to believe Sakurai’s mech model photo was alluding to Elma, possibly using a Skell in her Final Smash.

And that, ladies, gentlemen, and non-binary acquaintances, is why I firmly believe they will not pull a “Robin over Chrom” with Elma.

Drops mic
You're my goddess,, we stan a legend. solidarity
I have a good feeling about Fountain of Dreams showing up tomorrow. The items and stages sections might be open after this Direct which makes me think they will extensively show them.
I really want Fountain of Dreams to be revealed with a Kirby newcomer. I have hope that's the reason they've been holding out its reveal.
I need :ultlittlemac: to have a boxing bro.
That would be great.
*quietly begins the horny fanart*
Isn't it ironic?
IT'S LIKE RAIIIIIN

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

Palutena is a Goddess
Shulk was a God
I don't really put a lot of stock into Palutena's 'power' just because she's a god.

She's akin to a Roman/Greek god, which is basically a human with superpowers, not an 'all powerful entity' like a lot of mono-theistic beliefs.

Would she whup a human in a fight? Absolutely.

But she's also not 'all powerful'. She's been shown to be kidnapped or defeated several times.

Hell, she almost lost a fight to friggen vegetables in the anime.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Lucas mom jokes stopped being funny years ago.

Please get original material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom