• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
I want to ask a question. What music tracks in Nintendo history have shown themselves to be terrible? That may be hard to find, but I want to hear anything, if you can post a video here.
Metroid II has only one good song, the rest is more like ambient noises... and then there's this

I hate this.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Bring back Trophy Tussle!
Bring back specific character target tests ffs

They weren't just minigames then, they were actual tutorials on basics of a character. For example: Young Link's showed the difference between him and himself but older right on the bat by showing while Link can't Wall Jump, YL can. It also taught you boomerang stuff.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Sans Undertale has a better chance than Goku, simply because he's an actal video game character.
Android 21 from Dragonball Z Fighters has a better chance than him since she's an original video game character, if she got in that would be cool though.
Sakurai specifically mentioning trying to make the direct a reasonable time for Japan gives me the idea that maybe the reveal will be a highly requested character from Japan.
It could be Reimu from Touhou, or Saber from Fate Stay/Night, or someone else.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I want to ask a question. What music tracks in Nintendo history have shown themselves to be terrible? That may be hard to find, but I want to hear anything, if you can post a video here.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=orUFQQRcA6U

Hiroyuki Sawano why must you do this

The first half of aBOreSSs, which plays during a certain boss fight in chapter 11, is amazing. Powerful, emotional. I love it.

This is the second half of said song, which plays in the boss fight in the previous chapter, and I just

Why

How

Thanks, I hate it

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Same, with so many characters I expect a lot of unique events.
You've heard of Event 51, now get ready for Event 52.

Fight :ultbayonetta::ultcloud:and :ultdiddy:at their strongest. They have 3 stocks, and you have 300% and one stock. Don't worry about your handicap, it's almost as if nothing changed.

pika.thunder25

Smash Rookie
If we're talking about game modes to return, then imagine if Board the Platform from Smash 64 making a comeback. I think there's about a 0% shot of this happening, but I would be so hyped.

(my first post on Smashboards. nice to meet you all!!!)

Last edited:

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
My predictions aren't all that outlandish:

- Stage section on the official site will open after the direct.
- Only one newcomer will be revealed, considering they did that in the 2014 Smash Direct.
- Sakurai mentioned that the Direct is held at a manageable time for Japanese viewers (if SourceGaming's translation is correct). As such, it's not unrealistic to expect a character that's popular in Japan.
- One echo fighter will be revealed.
- Brinstar Depths, Kongo Jungle 64, Peach's Castle 64, Yoshi's Island (Melee) and Pirate Ship will be shown. Probably more than that, but these are the only stages I'm fully expecting.
- Most, if not all Assist Trophies from Smash 4 will return.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Heres today's daily Moveset, Sandy from Spongebob!

***Sandy Moveset***

The most rootinest-tootinist, cow-wrangling, whip-slinging mammal under the sea, no tussle is complete without the one and only Sandy Cheeks! Sandy is here to add some Texan flair to the game of Smash! The third and final Spongebob character in the game, Sandy uses her signature wrangling whip from the games to add a little taste of her rodeo roots. Sandy also makes full use of her other skills as well, including ka-rah-tae, various Texan tools, and even skills she's naturally learned as a squirrel!

Sandy's weight is overall right in the dead center of the weight scale, making her very well-rounded in combat. Sandy's speed is close to average as well, falling slightly more on the slower side due to her suit slowing her down. Sandy's jump height is pretty high too, allowing her to have a pretty easy time recovering all things considered. Her attack power is not only high, but is pretty quick as well, making Sandy a seriously volatile force. Sandy does not have the ability to crawl or wall jump.

Sandy also possesses an ability unique to her. Functioning somewhat similarly to Peach's float from the main games, holding the jump button in midair will allow Sandy to hover in the air and slowly descend to the ground by waving her lasso in the air like a helicopter (like she could in 'Battle for Bikini Bottom'). This ability allows Sandy to recover even better than she normally can, and could potentially even allow her to trick opponents by cancelling her momentum in the blink of an eye.

Specials:

Neutral Special: Tumbleweed- Sandy sends out a tumbleweed that acts as a lightweight projectile. It does incredibly minor damage, but is very fast and bounces along the ground, making it somewhat difficult to avoid. Sandy can also have a maximum of 5 tumbleweeds on screen at once, allowing her to constantly have tumbleweeds out to pressure and limit the opponent's movement.

Side Special: Whip-Lash- Working like ZSS' side Special from Smash 4, this attack has Sandy give a quick slash of her whip to opponents. The attack deals some really good damage, and it is incredibly quick. If used in the air, the move can even help Sandy recover if it's used near the edge. A very solid move overall.

Up Special: Swingin' Sandy- This move has the Texas-shaped symbol from 'Battle for Bikini Bottom' appear, which Sandy will attach her lasso to. Sandy can then swing back and forth on the symbol a total of three times, and can jump off at any point in the swing. After jumping off, she will not be in a helpless state, either, meaning she can still recover with her whip hover or side Special. To balance the move's incredible versatility, the move will have a 10 second cooldown after Sandy uses it, meaning she could end up in a bad spot if she isn't careful.

Down Special: Rodeo Practice- This is one of the most risky moves in the entire game, but has some INCREDIBLE payoff if used correctly. Using this move will cause a mechanical bull to appear on the stage, which Sandy will immediately hop onto. While on the bull, Sandy will be locked onto it for a total of 20 seconds and will have to rock back and forth to stay on it. The bull will start out very slow, but will progressively end up getting faster and faster until it reaches practically uncontrollable levels. If Sandy is somehow able to stay on the bull the entire time, she will receive an EXTREME buff in all of her stats for the remainder of the battle, making her borderline overpowered. However, if Sandy does end up falling off the bull at any point, she will receive recoil damage, with it scaling the faster the bull is. The recoil damage will start out minor (around 3%), but could be upwards of 50% if she falls off near the end of the timer. Sandy is also launched off of the bull at an incredible speed later on in the timer, which could be devastating to opponents. This move has multiple uses and is incredibly flexible. However, it's intense learning curve means it should only be used by those who understand Sandy well.

Normals:

Jab: Sandy hits the opponent with her fist while wearing a karate glove, being a slow but damaging attack.

F-Tilt: Sandy kicks the opponent with her foot to deal damage.

U-Tilt: Sandy's karate headgear appears on her head as she head butts opponents, dealing some decent damage.

D-Tilt: Sandy takes the foam karate practice stick from an early episode and swings it around on the ground quickly, with the tip of it dealing the most damage.

Dash Attack: Sandy's inner squirrel kicks in and she gets on all fours and lunges into the opponent. The attack is both incredibly quick and has high damage.

Smashes:

F-Smash: Sandy takes out a cow bell and shakes it while it's charging. Once she releases, she bashes the opponent with it, having a multi-hit property as well as dealing heavy damage.

U-Smash: Sandy takes out a basket full of nuts and acorns and throws them up in the air. They don't do much damage individually, but stack up.

D-Smash: Sandy takes her snowboard and slams it down in front of her before sliding it to her other side. Deals very good damage.

Aerials:

N-Air: Sandy spread her limbs out in a flying position as if she were a flying squirrel, dealing overall minor damage at a quick speed.

F-Air: Sandy kicks with both of her feet in midair very quickly to deal damage.

U-Air: Sandy quickly flips in midair while kicking upwards to deal damage.

D-Air: Sandy slams her foot downwards sharply, dealing heavy damage and having a meteor effect despite being very slow.

B-Air: Sandy swipes her tail in midair quickly, dealing intense damage if it hits.

Grab/Pummel: Sandy's grab has her use her rope to lasso opponents to her. Using grab in midair will allow Sandy to tether grab as opposed to an air dodge. For the pummel, Sandy wears her karate gloves and alternates chopping the opponent repeatedly.

Throws: Forward throw has Sandy hold and swing foes around with lasso before throwing them forward. Back throw has Sandy do the same movement but throws opponents behind her instead. Up throw has her do a series of karate chops before kicking the foe upwards. Down throw has Sandy leap in the air and perform a drop kick on the opponent to send them flying.

Final Smash: It's Worm Season...- Once Sandy uses this attack, she leaps off screen for several moments. Soon after, the giant worm from the Alaskan Bull Worm episode will stampede through the screen from the left to right, dealing so much damage that those hit will almost certainly be KO'd. The sheer length of the worm will mean it will take nearly 10 seconds to fully leave the stage. However, the worm isn't too awfully high, meaning players could avoid the worm altogether if they are in the right place at the right time.

Taunts: Up Taunt has Sandy wave her lasso around while yelling "Yeehaw!". Side Taunt has Sandy take out a blowtorch and turn it on for a few seconds while wearing scientific safety goggles. Down Taunt has Sandy maneuver acorns into her suit and gnaw on them, actually healing 1% of health.

Alts: Sandy's color swaps change the color of her suit to match the various colored planets in our solar system. Examples include Red for Mars, Turquoise for Neptune, Blue for Earth, etc.

Stage: Poseidome- An incredibly basic stage, this stage is a large boxing arena where King Poseidon himself will narrate the battle. The players pictures will appear on a screen in the center with their special titles as well. In addition, players can attack the large score counter sticking down from the ceiling. After its been damaged too much, it will fall down the ground and cause massive damage, where it will then stay for the rest of the battle. Overall a very simple, fun to play on stage.

Poseidome title: " The Sassiest Squirrel Under the Sea"

Sorry I didn't post this yesterday, I just wanted to wait til the hype settled down. To make up for it, I'll be posting another Moveset later. Hope you all like it!

Iridium

Smash Hero
Metroid II has only one good song, the rest is more like ambient noises... and then there's this

I hate this.
I mean, this must appeal to those who like strange music. This gives off an avant-garde sort of feel to it. Not something I can get too used to at all.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=orUFQQRcA6U

Hiroyuki Sawano why must you do this

The first half of aBOreSSs, which plays during a certain boss fight in chapter 11, is amazing. Powerful, emotional. I love it.

This is the second half of said song, which plays in the boss fight in the previous chapter, and I just

Why

How

Thanks, I hate it
Hmmm, this sounds like a bad attempt at progressive rock. I don't know why I think of Pink Floyd a little when hearing this, but I don't like it. As someone said in the comments, it seems to give off a dubstep vibe a little too.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
So far we got these characters who aren’t Pokémon characters highly requested and still possible for a playable spot in Smash Ultimate
Besides Pokémon characters, anyone else missing that’s possible to Smash?

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
My predictions for direct: (Copying DragonChary's format)
- Starts off with the Smash Logo, and fades into a cutscene, revealing (insert character here)
- Sakurai explains the reasoning for adding the character, and goes into detail about their look, and what he finds interesting about them. He'll proceed to go into more detail about the character's franchise that (probably) most of us don't really care about
- The direct will move on to show a little more gameplay, maybe with more emphasis on the new mechanics
- They will probably talk about the results of the Invitational and thank players for tuning into that
- Sakurai will go over the new modes added, and returning modes (I'm guessing at least some modes will return)
- Expect at least another mention of the new Smash Gamecube controllers
- More past stages
- Annoucement of a new mode, with many questions unanswered about it
- Fakeout end with an Echo reveal

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean, this must appeal to those who like strange music. This gives off an avant-garde sort of feel to it. Not something I can get too used to at all.

Hmmm, this sounds like a bad attempt at progressive rock. I don't know why I think of Pink Floyd a little when hearing this, but I don't like it. As someone said in the comments, it seems to give off a dubstep vibe a little too.
The melody close to the end is often heard near the end of squad missions, and even that melody sounds...bland and repetitive

Not catchy like Black Tar or Wir fliegen, not epic like Uncontrollable or In The Forest or the Prog Ares half of this song. Just...bland.

(Also FYI the first half is a remix of D91M (Requiem), that’s why the first half is soooooo much better)

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I predict they will go into details about turning off stage hazards. Atleast I hope so. I want to know what extent turning off hazards go to. Does that just mean things that hurt you. Or other random things like stage transformations. Will Port Town just get rid of the F-Zero racers or will it mean that the stage will never land on the race track?

Things like that.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Issac and Bandana Dee are FAR more requested than Celica, Alm, Octoling, Viridi, Jeanne, and...well most of these.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
>Jeanne
>Highly requested
n a n i my dude? Also I disagree with Viridi and Impa being "highly requested" on par with the likes of Geno and the Rool, and I'd replace one of those with Isaac. Fire Emblem is weird, I don't know if people would've supported Gaiden characters if it didn't get a remake.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Simon will tell me Verg's Ridley source was legit (as he stated the same person told him Simon and Ridley), but nothing else. By his own admission, Isabelle and the Pokemon come from other sources. I want to stress this point should Simon get in. Verg was twice wrong over the weekend, by saying MvCI news would be at EVO and that Seong Mina would not be playable in SC6, so it's abundantly clear that even if one of his sources is proven legitimate, it means nothing toward his others.
Having done a ton of research on Verge, this is pretty typical. People also forgot he was wrong about there being 2 Castlevania games to be announced at E3, thought this was based on a show floor listing which was for one game, not two (it was only after everyone assumed there would be two games did Verge say something about it)

He's wrong most of the time and most of the communities that have dealt with him know this. The SC community thinks he's a joke. Also, ever wonder why he moved from Reddit to GameFAQs? Even if he gets some information, he's too inconsistent to trust. I hope people will finally start realizing this.

Noipoi

Howdy!

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Any breakdown of what sources said what? As far as I know he said that his Smash sources corroborated each other, and thus, he would have had multiple sources claiming Simon.
This is of course making the generous assumption that he is not lying to bolster the rumor's credibility.
Here is how his claimed Smash sources went at E3 time:

Source 1: Source related to Bandai Namco that told him BN was developing Metroid Prime 4 and Ridley was in Smash. This is where he first heard Ridley from supposedly.

Source 2: Undefined source that told him Ridley, ICs, Snake, and Belmont with no cuts were in Smash.

Source 3: Undefined source that corroborated source 2, as well as stated there would be nonplayable Minecraft content in Smash. This is also the source that told him about all those games at E3 time, including the Jump Stars game and the currently MIA Castlevania games.

Source 4: Some guy who came to him claiming he saw E3 material for Ridley and thus Ridley would be revealed at E3. This was also the source he claimed he wasn't confident in (some people took this as him saying he wasn't confident in all his Smash leaks and was backtracking, when this was the only one he claimed lacking confidence in).

For Isabelle it's currently unknown which sources she is from, I haven't seen him attribute it to which anywhere, maybe someone could ask him. For the Pokemon information, he claimed he heard no Decidueye/Mimikyu/Lycanroc from two of his Smash sources, though which ones not clarified (it would seem to imply source 2 and 3 since they're the ones who are supposed to know stuff beyond Ridley, but maybe he has more sources since).

EDIT: Took another look through his reddit history, and on the recent Isabelle thread he claims he has three Smash sources he regularly keeps in contact with while the E3 guy was a one off, so I think by implication that means he is attributing Isabelle to his existing Smash sources we know of as well as the Pokemon claims. This comment also seems to imply that one of these sources is the one claiming who the gen 7 pokemon is, which would mean the other two are the ones disconfirming who it isn't.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
And? This is just a list of possibilities.

Besides, ever since the idea of "Echo" came up, Octoling's popularity surged.
If you asked me, Octolings would have an Alph situation.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
Don't forget about Phoenix Wright (And maybe Crono)

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Star Fox's entire fighter representation is one character than two characters heavily inspired from the latter.
Roy and Lucina are also inspired by Marth.
Granted, 3 out of 4 are semi-Echoes.
Uh...

What the heck is a "Semi-Echo"?

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Rayman, Isaac, Paper Mario, Bandana Dee, Isabelle, Simon Belmont, Sora, Rex (you put pyra and mythra tho lol), Elma, Skull Kid, Medusa, Hades, Funky Kong, Cranky Kong, Lloyd Irving, Heihachi, Tails...yeah you're missing a lot.

And although I'd scream in excitement over Jeanne I'm pretty sure I'm one of few who actually would

Last edited:

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Chibi, Isabelle
Star Fox's entire fighter representation is one character than two characters heavily inspired from the latter.
Roy and Lucina are also inspired by Marth.
Granted, 3 out of 4 are semi-Echoes.
I'm aware of all of that, but we don't have a character with 2 echo fighters.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean if you're going for oft-requested Echoes, Chrom should be there. Also the other characters backed by Vergeben (Simon and Isabelle).

D

Deleted member

A lot. Chorus Kids, Tails, Isabelle, Rayman, Bandanna Dee and Chrom. That is the ones I can think of the top of my head.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Elma, Rex (you listed Pyra and Mythra), Bandana Waddle Dee, Isabelle, Chorus Kids, Chrom, Simon, an ARMS character...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Echo fighters changed clones.
Everyone used to hate clones, and now everyone is dying for their characters that are a clone of others already in Smash and clones are loved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom