• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
All I can say about Morrigan is she's one of the most attractive video game Women to me and I don't know if I could handle her in Smash.
I'm not even into girls and I can approve this.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I really hope Splatoon isn't the last new franchise in this game, but I'm going to assume we're getting mostly newcomers from pre existing franchises. Most of the popular characters come from franchises already represented, and since the ballot is going to be used for this game I'm not expecting many new IPs. If it were up to me, I would try fill up the roster with new universes as it leads to representation the series' would never get normally. It could also increase the popularity of the franchise so it could perhaps help them become popular. The only new franchise I think we have a good shot to get though is Rhythm Heaven. I really want that series to be known by more people. It's a shame it's so unpopular here, and I think representation in smash could really help the series out. Heck, I didn't even know what Rhythm Heaven was until the Gematsu leak. I figure Isaac also has decent shot, but I think it all depends on if he did well in the ballot. Unfortunately, most of these characters are relatively obscure, so I doubt it.
I wish obscurity wasn't a problem. Heck, Earthbound was pretty obscure. Smash can really help small franchises get a fan following and even boost sales or revivals.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'd wanna see Morrigan be in Smash, if to only meet Captain Falcon and both then lament on about how they will never have a new game in their series and are stuck on whatever crossover series they're in about. :troll:

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
QUESTION

If there were ever to be a non video game character in smash, who would be the most likely?

(Your answer can't be none, btw)

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'd wanna see Morrigan be in Smash, if to only meet Captain Falcon and both then lament on about how they will never have a new game in their series and are stuck on whatever crossover series they're in about. :troll:
I like to think they enjoy still being in games with their friends, even their franchises are dormant.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
QUESTION

If there were ever to be a non video game character in smash, who would be the most likely?

I don't think it will ever happen, but if it did, I couldn't see it being anyone other than Goku or maybe Mickey Mouse.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
QUESTION

Someone Disney - most likely would be Donald, Goofy, and Mickey as part of Sora's moveset, and if not that then Mickey alone because the Magical Quest series was a popular staple.

edit: Mickey's not getting in over Sora, I just thought Magical Quest Mickey would be sorta cool

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
QUESTION

It'll never happen, and I don't want it to happen, but probably Goku.
At this point he's first in the line of non-video game characters.

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
QUESTION

I can see it now, Nintendo shows off some footage of FighterZ for the Switch, and then somehow Goku gets knocked out of the game and gets knocked into Smash Bros world, and just decides to go along with it... good god..

You know, that’s probably somebody’s fanfiction out there xD

osby

Smash Obsessed
It'll never happen, and I don't want it to happen, but probably Goku.
At this point he's first in the line of non-video game characters.
Sakurai: "Do you want speculated characters so much? You can have it."

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Popeye, easily. Especially since he'll be public domain worldwide relatively soon.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Danny Devito for Smash.

He could be a Pikachu echo.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Since everyone seems to be giving their own thoughts on Smash 4 newcomers, here's mine I guess:
:ultvillager: Reveal: Always made a lot of sense (LMAO Balloon Fight), but was never openly discussed due to Brawl comments. Together with the art style, they made it clear that Sakurai was taking the series in a direction much closer to the spirit of the original game rather than Melee/Brawl.
Now: Aside from maybe needing to nerf their recovery, I find them both fun to play as and against.

:ultmegaman:Reveal: Holy crap Capcom did something right. I can't think of anything I didn't like. Mega Buster as jab was a "why didn't I think of that" moment.
Now: While I wish the more conventional attacks to be buffed rather than needing to rely on advanced tech, I still have a lot of fun playing as them. Auto Shorthops are going to be huge in Ultimate for lemons.

:ultwiifittrainer:Reveal: What is everyone talking about? Holy crap there are pictures. Holy crap there is a trailer. LMAO too amused to be mad.
Now: They're okay. I wish their hitboxes weren't as awkward.

:ultrosalina:Reveal: Awesome CGI in the trailer. Not exactly against, but not for either. Was on the side of Mario not needing anymore characters.
Now: Annoying to fight against and can be awkward at times to play as. I think I dislike the fanbase more than the character.

:ultlittlemac:Reveal: Awesome trailer. Doc Louis in Smash hype. Boxing Ring was a Punch Out stage after all.
Now: Both fun to play as and to win against. Is looking scarier with the new buffs.

:ultgreninja:Reveal: Best reveal trailer. Charizard fighting against Mario/Others was awesome. Lots of MvC Strider vibes. The Trainer Battle remix was pure gold.
Now: It's fun to use water attacks/Smashes, but I always find it difficult to land certain attacks (aerials).

:ultmiifighters:Reveal: Amusing trailer. Was somewhat of an inevitability. Not against, but not for either.
Now: #FreeMii Hopefully they receive some needed buffs as well. They've been growing on me recently. Ultimate designs look awesome.

:ultpalutena::ultdarkpit:Reveal: Was a huge KI fan before Uprising came out and was a constant advocate for her. The 180 Nintendo fans took after Uprising came out was kind of funny. I think the Gematsu leak ruined a little bit of the hype for her, but it was still a fun (if weird) trailer.
Now: Was disappointed at first, but her moveset has grown on me to the extent she's close to being a secondary. Her grabs/aerials/recovery make up for a lot of her shortcomings in my eyes.

:ultpacman:Reveal: Same as the Miis in terms of being for/against. Sakurai changed my mind with that trailer. I remember even showing it to my parents for fun. Why Sakurai had his reveal behind closed doors was a HUGE missed opportunity. Why not a live reveal at the Invitational?
Now: I often gravitate towards them in casual play/For Fun matches. Hopefully he gets some knockback buffs in Ultimate.

:ultlucina::ultrobinReveal: I was on the Awakening hate train at the time, so I didn't get much out of this; Gematsu arguments were annoying. I do remember thinking Robin's moveset was at least unique. LMAO Lucina being a clone and Chrom getting the shaft (3 Falchion users in the same game?).
Now: I've softened my dislike of Awakening, if only due to Echoes, and I do play as the two casually a fair amount. Lucina I prefer to Marth.

:ultshulk:Reveal: Kind of spoiled due to Gematsu, posts in the Staff Board, and the eventual ESRB leak. His trailer was nice but awkward in how it was rolled out.
Now: Am not for or against. His playstyle doesn't fit me personally.

:ultbowserjr:Reveal: I don't remember any hype for or against them other then being the leader for a potential Mario newcomer. Was always just "there." I don't know what would have happened if ESRB didn't leak or if the 3DS version got a worldwide release. Not a fan, but the Koopalings would have been an amazing reveal. Is a character that looks better in motion than still-images.
Now: I occasionally pick up and play as them. I do enjoy watching them in competitive play.

:ultduckhunt: Reveal: Was openly against until ESRB/Sakurai did a 180 like Pac-Man, though I still maintain that fan art/concepts for the character were ugly.
Now: Can be fun to play as in casual modes and watch in competitive play. Hopefully they get some knockback buffs.

:ultryu:Reveal: Data-mining kind of killed a lot of the hype the reveal could have had. Made more sense than most 3rd party newcomer suggestions. Sakurai went out of his way, for better or for worse, to make him unique and I appreciate that.
Now: Cool character. His playstyle doesn't fit me personally.

:ultcloud:Reveal: Holy ****. I've never played FFVII nor am a Square Enix fan in any sense, but the scope of this reveal was not lost on me. Maximillion Dood's reaction video always puts a smile on my face.
Now: His playstyle doesn't fit me personally, and I agree that he has some jank that I'm glad is being nerfed in Ultimate.

:ultcorrin:Reveal: Great a character from a game had I no faith in. Moveset seems interesting. It's nice to see the 3DS version get some excusive DLC content. Why did they go with Male Corrin as the default? "Big Brother is now Big Sister" LMAO
Now: I occasionally pick them up. I hope their Counter is nerfed even further in Ultimate.

:ultbayonetta:Reveal: Only newcomer I openly groaned towards. Stood out even more than Snake did upon his reveal.
Now: I don't care to play as or fight against. Nothing against her relatively chill fanbase, she just isn't for me.

Leehzart

Smash Cadet
Ooo this is really nice. If you move them over all the way to the edge can you fit one more row of 7 newcomers and a random? That's what I'm expecting, I'd like to see what this would look like with a full roster.
Which 7 characters would you add? I can add them!

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Honestly, I've always viewed Smash as an iterative franchise.

4's roster was the best by default because it only added on to what had come before. Sure we'd lose a few along the way, but it was still against many great new additions. By the same logic, Ultimate already has the best roster in series history.

If we're insisting on talking newcomers only...

:pt: - LOVE the starting trio, and the switching mechanic was something I really enjoyed. Glad it's back.
:dedede: - Goofy giant penguin with a mallet. What's not to love?
:metaknight: - The "cool" character of the main Kirby trio.
:olimar: - Loved these games, so happy to see him in representing a new franchise.
:snake: - A weird inclusion, I loved how out of place he felt. How times have changed...

:lucario: - Such a cool Pokemon, and I love his fighting style.
:sonic: - Fits in well with the cast, and is certainly a huge name.
:wario: - Definitely earned, and his wackiness was most welcome.
:ike: - New, heavy sword style made for an excellent second FE rep.
:rob: - Retro random surprise goodness!
:toonlink: - Excellent replacement for Young Link. Great aesthetic.

:diddy: - Respect the character, but can't say I ever liked him in anything.
:wolf: - Another Star Fox fighter based off the same kit? Meeeehhhhh. At least he was the most unique of the three (and a villain).
:pit: - Never really cared for him or his games, but adding a new series is always welcome
:zerosuitsamus: - Not the Metroid rep anyone wanted, but at least it was something new
:lucas: - Clone from a game I haven't played, but I actually don't mind him

:4villager: - From the off-kilter but accessible moveset to his meme-able personality, I loved everything about this addition, and I've never played AC.
:4wiifit: - Such a delightfully odd pick. Represents Modern Nintendo well, and the yoga moves are surprisingly fun.
:4shulk: - Cool twist on a sword user, and comes with some of the best music in the game.

:4megaman: - Can't say I love his playstyle, but he was one of the few Third-Parties I thought fit perfectly.
:4pacman: - Super iconic and a little ridiculous. Probably one of the most enjoyable Final Smashes.
:4littlemac: - I like his addition from a character standpoint, but don't play as him a lot. Still, happy he's here.
:4greninja: - Love playing as him. Water/frog/ninja/ is an excellent combination.
:4bowserjr: - Cool twist on a a good character. More villains is always nice too.
:rosalina: - The puppeteer moveset was an inspired choice, and I fondly remember the games she's from.
:4duckhunt: - YES. One of my first games, and he's a weird, projectile heavy delight.
:4lucina: - I prefer her to Marth actually, if only for the cool time-travel backstory.
:4corrin: - The dragon-based moveset is actually a lot of fun.
:4mii: - Love the custom character angle, even if I only play them for fun against friends.

:4palutena: - Meh. Nothing really appealing about her in moveset or personality for me, but she was a solid addition.
:4robinm: - Warming up, but I still have no great love for the character.
:4cloud: - I dislike his being OP, and have never played FF. Still. big name character.
:4ryu: - Caught flack for this the other day, but he just isn't that exciting of a character.

:4darkpit: - Double meh. Too many Kid Icarus characters with this guy. At least he has a sweet Spanish-guitar theme!

:4bayonetta: - From moveset to personality, I just don't like this character. She's one of the family now though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Really not that different in my books.

Also I put much more time into that post than I meant to...

dezeray112

Smash Hero
All I can say about Morrigan is she's one of the most attractive video game Women to me and I don't know if I could handle her in Smash.
I agree with this.

QUESTION

Mickey Mouse and Wreck-It Ralph for me.

Kozzer

Smash Rookie
I can't stop gawking over the graphics. The colors look so nice and the shading is so much better. Everyone in Smash 4 looked the same in about every stage, but in Ultimate you can see shifts in color due to the lighting. Most of the veterans look a bit more polished, even in the smallest ways, like Lucario's weird bangs hang lower and his fur looking better, Pit's eyes look more shiny, Peach's dress drags on the ground, Ice climbers look better than ever, etc.

It would be cool to be able to use the pause screen like a photo mode and letting us change stuff like depth of field, filters, maybe even adding tools for replay mode like a time bar, speed settings, etc. I hope they take advantage of the game's visual's and the Switch's increase in power.

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
QUESTION

Ah, such an interesting question. I'm gonna make it 3.
In terms of Nintendo's history:

1. James Bond- (Goldeneye 007)
  2. Boba Fett- (Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire)
  3. Mickey Mouse- (Disney's Magical Quest, Magic Mirror, Mickey's Speedway U.S.A.)

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I can't stop gawking over the graphics. The colors look so nice and the shading is so much better. Everyone in Smash 4 looked the same in about every stage, but in Ultimate you can see shifts in color due to the lighting. Most of the veterans look a bit more polished, even in the smallest ways, like Lucario's weird bangs hang lower and his fur looking better, Pit's eyes look more shiny, Peach's dress drags on the ground, Ice climbers look better than ever, etc.

It would be cool to be able to use the pause screen like a photo mode and letting us change stuff like depth of field, filters, maybe even adding tools for replay mode like a time bar, speed settings, etc. I hope they take advantage of the game's visual's and the Switch's increase in power.
Yeah, it's a HUGE improvement. Even Kirby looks a lot better. It also seems like they are recreating all the melee and brawl past stages and giving 4's and 64's new textures. Onett always looked a little off compared to the detailed characters, but now it fits right in.
Edit: I don't think the image worked

https://youtu.be/zk0XuMzfvZk

Last edited:

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
I can't stop gawking over the graphics. The colors look so nice and the shading is so much better. Everyone in Smash 4 looked the same in about every stage, but in Ultimate you can see shifts in color due to the lighting. Most of the veterans look a bit more polished, even in the smallest ways, like Lucario's weird bangs hang lower and his fur looking better, Pit's eyes look more shiny, Peach's dress drags on the ground, Ice climbers look better than ever, etc..
Visual wise it's an improvement over Smash 4, (and oh my goodness my boi Pit looks "beautiful" with that next-gen visuals), however, some renders need a little more work- (Looking at you Wolf, Lucina, Shulk, ZZS, and even you Snake!)

Last edited:

Kozzer

Smash Rookie
Visual wise it's an improvement over Smash 4, and oh my goodness my boi Pit looks "beautiful" with that next-gen visuals, however, some renders need a little more work- (Looking at you Wolf, Lucina, Shulk, ZZS, and even you Snake!)
Yeah Wolf's model looks pretty ugly right now. I'm hoping they polish him more :c

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I feel like this implies third party, as there's a lot of controversy to be had there. (Like Goku /s)

I guess it could be something "controversial" such as another Fire Emblem character or an echo no one asked for.
Didn't he also say something about Minecraft content? Steve would unquestionably be controversial.

Or there's this here...
QUESTION

Goku. He's been the center of all joke requests that some people actually do want to see. He'd definitely be the first non-vidya character. And I wouldn't be surprised to see him as this "controversial" character either.
Comic book character.
- A Marvel or DC crossover with Smash is always a possibility.
Oh man, I support there. I tried to make the Avengers with Mii costumes, but some worked better than others.

It would be cool to get licensed Mii costumes though, not gonna lie.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman

Agreed. This game looks fantastic. Smash 4 still looked pretty good for its time, but Ultimate really blows it out of the water.

...It's a little scary saying 'for its time' about Smash 4. It's only 4 years old...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Visual wise it's an improvement over Smash 4, and oh my goodness my boi Pit looks "beautiful" with that next-gen visuals, howver, some renders need a little more work- (Looking at you Wolf, Lucina, Shulk, ZZS, and even you Snake!)
Imo Shulk’s, Lucina and ZSS’s renders are fine. Their in game models on the other hand... esp ZSS with her eyes and lips, Lucina seems dull and colorless compared to Marth, and something about Shulk’s jawline bothers me

nothing will be more jarring than the difference between Young Link’s render and in game model tho

On the other hand, Daisy’s, Pichu’s, Cloud’s, Inkling’s, and Captain Falcon’s renders and models are pure perfection <3

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
if a non video game character even get into smash ever, it will be cause it having very good videogames entrances, that overall are also importat to the video games as a whole. specially if there is a degree of consistency of various good entries, isnetad of one hit.

few examples would be Geralt of Rivia, Goku, Darth Vader (or anything starwars really), Mickey Mouse, Batman, Spider Man, Hatsune Miku.

Bad examples that wont go anywhere are stuff like Spongebob, Captain America, Homer Simpson (Not consistent), Transformers, Harry Potter, and teh obvious Shrek, and other meme stuff...

still, i dont think that gates are going to open.... ever...

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
nothing will be more jarring than the difference between Young Link’s render and in game model tho
Oh yeah, for as much as I'm looking forward to my boy's return, his ingame model looks really weird. I hope it's cleaned up by release. and throw in a Majora's Mask weapons alt too why not

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
if a non video game character even get into smash ever, it will be cause it having very good videogames entrances, that overall are also importat to the video games as a whole. specially if there is a degree of consistency of various good entries, isnetad of one hit.

few examples would be Geralt of Rivia, Goku, Darth Vader (or anything starwars really), Mickey Mouse, Batman, Spider Man, Hatsune Miku.

Bad examples that wont go anywhere are stuff like Spongebob, Captain America, Homer Simpson (Not consistent), Transformers, Harry Potter, and teh obvious Shrek, and other meme stuff...

still, i dont think that gates are going to open.... ever...
Disagree on Captain America.
If Disney could consider allowing Sora into Smash, then it could consider a Marvel crossover with Smash.

?????????????

Smash Master
I think Goku makes the most sense. Despite being a manga character, DBZ is also well known for having lots of fighting games and other video games with original content such as XenoVerse and FighterZ. Plus, DB games date back to NES, so there's quite a bit of Nintendo history as well.

As far as fighting characters go, Goku is probably one of if not THE most iconic and recognizable anime characters that exists.

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
Yeah Wolf's model looks pretty ugly right now. I'm hoping they polish him more :c
Personally, I wanted his Brawl look back; its one of if not the coolest looking design I've seen for the character.

Can't get the pics to work because of...well, buffering issues.

Attachments

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Disagree on Captain America.
If Disney could consider allowing Sora into Smash, then it could consider a Marvel crossover with Smash.
You kinda missed my point entirely...
with my reasoning, why spiderman would be a good go and captain america would be a no go?
the reason is Videogames.

Spiderman videogames have been a staple on various sistems (NES, SNES, PSX, PS2, and seems that in the future PS4 also), and while the overall quality may vary, there are plenty of spiderman games out there that are way more than just "generic action game reskin to cash out from a franchise". Captain America doesn't have that. is not about getting the licences. Even if captain america or Iron Man have a more iconic pressence right now, specially in films.

Mickey is the same, from Nes/Snes days to Kingdom hearts, he have had a very decent pressence in video games that matter. Goku? same... Starwars? lets not even start with the importance of starwars videogames...

Spongebob on teh other hand have had plenty of videogames..... but as far as i know, none of them have get anywhere. Simpsons had a couple of well beloved Nostalgia videogames in the NES era, but outside of that?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
They could always solve the problem completely by not putting her in, and instead including the far superior Xenoblade 2 character: Ardainian Soldier.

I haven't played Xenoblade 2, but if I ever do, it makes me sad I won't be able to experience the Soldier the way the devs intended.
DLC isn't rated by the ERSB/CERO, right? If so, they can put Rex & Pyra in that way.

All I know is that after Brawl, a lot of people were complaining that the latest franchise added was Pikmin, which was seven years old at that point, and that Smash needed new franchises in general.

Smash 4 fixed that, and then people complain in the opposite direction.

This all just feels a bit cyclical. I know personal taste is a thing, but I fully expect people to complain about Ultimate the same way they are currently complaining about Smash 4 and how they used to complain about Brawl.
I once saw a picture of Sonic drawn during the Brawl era, giving the bird and saying "you people are impossible to please". If only I could find it again, it'd be so useful for this kind of situation...

On the bright side, being in Smash is better than being in MvC:I.

Seriously though, I'd love having Morrigan in here myself.

QUESTION

Popeye. He's Mario's spiritual pappy, doggone it.

Spongebob on teh other hand have had plenty of videogames..... but as far as i know, none of them have get anywhere. Simpsons had a couple of well beloved Nostalgia videogames in the NES era, but outside of that?
The Simpsons on PS3 was well-liked, and it hated on EA before it was the hip thing to do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom