• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Metroid gets Dark Samus in any way

"Wow, look at Sakurai bias with Metroid! I guess he and Japan love this series and nothing else!"
Don't forget "Sakurai bias for Star Fox and Kirby" was a real thing.

EDIT: :ultgreninja:'d.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Here is August!! @tehponycorn for all the July leaks throw them into the fire. eejejeje
All the July "leaks" (including that stupid codename "leak" that actually got attention for some reason) may be dead, but in their place, 2 more "leaks" will take their place.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
All the July "leaks" (including that stupid codename "leak" that actually got attention for some reason) may be dead, but in their place, 2 more "leaks" will take their place.
“Cut off one head, two more shall take its place.

Hail Hydra!”

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

Which is even funnier in the case of Kirby, since Sakurai himself said that he didn't put any new Kirby character in Melee to not make him look bias toward his creation.

But true to be told, I kinda want to see Dark Samus get in and see peoples calling Sakurai bias toward Metroid. 'cuz that be the funniest **** I ever saw coming from the Smash fanbase.:denzel:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Vergeben claims to know of a third character aside from Simon and Isabelle who will be in Ultimate, and he believes this character will be "controversial".

Whether or not this character would actually come across as controversial to us (or if it's even in the game) remains to be seen.
It's going to be Chibi Robo, because people would be upset if he got in over K.Rool

blackghost

Smash Champion
Smash 4's newcomers suddenly being ''not all that incredible" is kind of laughable to me.

That's not even everyone but to say Sakurai didn't add a dynamite cast of newcomers for Smash 4 is just a little bit strange.

He knocked it out of the park.
im with you honestly it feels like people have salt in their eyes or something. smash 4 roster has been called its greatest achievement by multiple streamers, reviews, and even here. smash 4 had quirky characters, "impossible characters", and fully dove into third-party legends. some people seem to be a confusing competitive smash with the sheer shock and reaction smash fans, in general, had RYU, CLOUD, MEGAMAN i know people wanted king k but he does not compare to legends that transcend games and have movies and tv shows.

im genuinely surprised all these posts claim or remember disappointment in a 58 character base roster with all but one dlc character being highly requested or surprises.
some of the reactions to rosalina also still confuse me to this day. i get its traditional nerd culture to hate almost every new addition and claim the old days were better but to say rosalina jumped the line is crazy she had more mainline game appearances than any character besides bowser jr. and he also got in. she was not shoehorned in she was and maybe still is a huge character. she was plotcentral in 2 3d mario games. you can cry for wah all you like but he doesnt have that resume.

calling the smash 4 roster full of "flavor of the month" characters" is just ridiculous. xenoblade, greninja, bayonetta, cloud, ryu, megaman, and others are still here and are receiving new games.

this makes me wonder if we had these boards when melee roster came out and it was full of clones how eople would do or why people call brawls roster so good compared to 4. Unless you REALLY like wolf i don't see any comparison between brawl and 4. brawl best inclusion was a single player and while that works for some its not the core gameplay of smash and brawl suffered for it.

D

Deleted member

i know people wanted king k but he does not compare to legends that transcend games and have movies and tv shows.
To be fair, King Kuh Rool is in a TV show, but you are correct in that he doesn't hold a candle to characters like Ryu or Cloud in the grand scheme of things.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Vergeben claims to know of a third character aside from Simon and Isabelle who will be in Ultimate, and he believes this character will be "controversial".

Whether or not this character would actually come across as controversial to us (or if it's even in the game) remains to be seen.
It's going to be Chibi Robo, because people would be upset if he got in over K.Rool
I feel like this implies third party, as there's a lot of controversy to be had there. (Like Goku /s)

I guess it could be something "controversial" such as another Fire Emblem character or an echo no one asked for.

D

Deleted member

Part of me still wishes they'd finish that datamined battle damage/cracked mask for Meta Knight, especially now that Olimar's helmet does the same. Falcon too.
I completely forgot about that. With Little Mac's bruises and now Olimar's helmet, battle damage is very much a thing. Kind of strange how the character that was planned to have it originally doesn't have it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I completely forgot about that. With Little Mac's bruises and now Olimar's helmet, battle damage is very much a thing. Kind of strange how the character that was planned to have it originally doesn't have it yet.
I wonder if they’re gonna do the thing they were originally gonna do in Brawl and have Captain Falcon’s helmet break after a while, since in Brawl there were some incomplete textures for his face beneath the helmet (you could see some details with an unrestricted camera mod)

Doubt it’d happen tho

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Does Meta Knight's mask cracks in Kirby games?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Ugh, don’t remind me of that misfire... I’ll stick with the movies. :laugh:
Atleast it’s only the worst thing that's happen to Cap (and not the worst thing for Modern Marvel)

I like Sakurai bias...especially for Kid Icarus
I wonder if they’re gonna do the thing they were originally gonna do in Brawl and have Captain Falcon’s helmet break after a while, since in Brawl there were some incomplete textures for his face beneath the helmet (you could see some details with an unrestricted camera mod)

Doubt it’d happen tho
I want it to happen. Battle damaged Mega Man, near dead Sonic, Pit looking burnt up and Samus having her suit nearly destroyed would be beautiful (Peach also...but her dress is indestructible)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Battle damage? Arthur from Ghosts n Goblins confirmed.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
This was how it would have looked in game according to the unused data :

https://www.mariowiki.com/images/thumb/d/da/MetaBeta.jpg/800px-MetaBeta.jpg

At the very least, I would want the gashes that Dark Meta Knight has on his render, if it's returning as an alt that is.

I want it to happen. Battle damaged Mega Man, near dead Sonic, Pit looking burnt up and Samus having her suit nearly destroyed would be beautiful (Peach also...but her dress is indestructible)
Unrelated yet still interesting to note, the datamine for Brawl also revealed that Peach was initially supposed to have Perry from Super Princess Peach.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
im with you honestly it feels like people have salt in their eyes or something. smash 4 roster has been called its greatest achievement by multiple streamers, reviews, and even here. smash 4 had quirky characters, "impossible characters", and fully dove into third-party legends. some people seem to be a confusing competitive smash with the sheer shock and reaction smash fans, in general, had RYU, CLOUD, MEGAMAN i know people wanted king k but he does not compare to legends that transcend games and have movies and tv shows.

im genuinely surprised all these posts claim or remember disappointment in a 58 character base roster with all but one dlc character being highly requested or surprises.
some of the reactions to rosalina also still confuse me to this day. i get its traditional nerd culture to hate almost every new addition and claim the old days were better but to say rosalina jumped the line is crazy she had more mainline game appearances than any character besides bowser jr. and he also got in. she was not shoehorned in she was and maybe still is a huge character. she was plotcentral in 2 3d mario games. you can cry for wah all you like but he doesnt have that resume.

calling the smash 4 roster full of "flavor of the month" characters" is just ridiculous. xenoblade, greninja, bayonetta, cloud, ryu, megaman, and others are still here and are receiving new games.

this makes me wonder if we had these boards when melee roster came out and it was full of clones how eople would do or why people call brawls roster so good compared to 4. Unless you REALLY like wolf i don't see any comparison between brawl and 4. brawl best inclusion was a single player and while that works for some its not the core gameplay of smash and brawl suffered for it.
The biggest difference between Brawl and Smash 4 was the popularity of the newcomers. In Brawl, quite a few of the newcomers were specifically requested by fans, such as Wario, Diddy, Pit, Meta Knight, Dedede, and Sonic. Smash 4 didn't quite match that.

No one is denying Pac-Man and Ryu are gaming icons, and no one is saying Rosalina and Shulk are simply "flavor of the month". However, people are saying that these characters weren't highly requested, and after a while, you get tired of these "surprises". It's just not as satisfying to get a character who's mainly in Smash because of their iconicness or relevancy, with little to no fan demand to back them up. I'm sure a lot of people feel like the majority of Smash 4 newcomers deserved to get in Smash, but those characters simply weren't what they were asking for. Because of that, their inclusion doesn't seem all that exciting.

The closest feeling I can compare it to is opening an expensive gift that you didn't ask for on your birthday. It's certainly a nice gift, it definitely surprised you, but you didn't really want it more than some other things.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Why all edgy characters Sakurai created are actually really cute?
The same applies to Dark Meta Knight, the edgy ****wit with a scar on his mask, loads of scratches, a torn cape/wings and he even ****ing bleeds in Triple Deluxe. He's also that adorable when you break his mask in his first fight (every other fight has him shatter, it's also his death animation in Star Allies)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

At the very least, I would want the gashes that Dark Meta Knight has on his render, if it's returning as an alt that is.

Unrelated yet still interesting to note, the datamine for Brawl also revealed that Peach was initially supposed to have Perry from Super Princess Peach.
I still don't know why she doesn't. all it would require would be a simple model change and it's a nice reference to her lesser known game, like Zelda's Phantom Armor from Spirit Tracks.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I still don't know why she doesn't. all it would require would be a simple model change and it's a nice reference to her lesser known game, like Zelda's Phantom Armor from Spirit Tracks.
Actually it wouldn't really be a model change at all, they could have just edited the textures for the Parasoul that Peach already has

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Speaking of Super Princess Peach

I’m kinda disappointed by the fact that the peach item in Bowser’s page video hints at Peach having the same FS as Brawl/For (probably the For version). I would have LOVED to see her use the Joy, Anger and Sadness powers from SPP for a new Final Smash.

Joy = floats, spins around, cyclone effect
Anger = jumps cause earthquakes, damage aura around her
Sadness = runs real fast as she cries, trail of water behind her causing enemies to slip up

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I think the main problem people have with Smash 4 is that a lot of the newcomers that were highly speculated on didn't get in.

Examples: Ridley, K.Rool, Dixie Kong, Waluigi, Chrom, Gen VI Pokemon, Second Sonic Rep, Geno, Rayman, Bandanna Dee, etc.

That said we still got a pretty solid roster and :ultmegaman::ultlittlemac::ultpacman::ultmiifighters::ultbowserjr: were all highly speculated characters that did manage to get in.

Additionally, because of Sakurai directing Uprising, many people expected :ultpalutena: to happen to.

And of course, people started speculating on :ultshulk:, which should have been a surprise character, but Gematsu happened.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
The main problem I really have with the Smash 4 newcomers is that it seemed like Sakurai needlessly went out of his way to make them all ~unique~ to a detriment, a bit less gimmicks and a few more conventionally-designed fighters would have benefited the characters and the game I think. But regardless I can't be upset about how Smash 4's newcomers went, I was quite spoiled by Brawl's (getting Lucario, Dedede, Meta Knight, and Wolf among newcomers I really wanted, while also later finding I really clicked with Snake and ROB), and then in Ultimate I'm getting Wolf and Snake back alongside finally getting Ridley, so I will get to see how I fare without feeling limited by the roster.
This, honestly. I didn't really feel it much with the newcomers we got in this iteration compared to Brawl - because aside from not being big fan requests fulfilled or mine either, the heavy emphasis on uniqueness mostly lent them to be "gimmicky" at the very best - which made them prone easily polarizing in means of accessibility or balance - either these characters ultimately ended up unconventionally weak or blatantly strong.

This is why I couldn't enjoy some new characters I found fun as much like :ultpacman:, :4lemmy:, and more - and Sakurai + team just had such poor management on character balance with :ultrosalina:, :ultcloud: and :ultbayonetta:.

I wish we received more conventional type of fighters like in last games to make up for that, alas...

At least Ultimate's current showcase of newcomers doesn't seem as crazy ATM, Ridley's more on the conventional side if you ask me. Inkling feels more Sm4sh-esque gimmicky character meanwhile.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

How dare they not bring Perry?
Speaking of Super Princess Peach

I’m kinda disappointed by the fact that the peach item in Bowser’s page video hints at Peach having the same FS as Brawl/For (probably the For version). I would have LOVED to see her use the Joy, Anger and Sadness powers from SPP for a new Final Smash.

Joy = floats, spins around, cyclone effect
Anger = jumps cause earthquakes, damage aura around her
Sadness = runs real fast as she cries, trail of water behind her causing enemies to slip up
I’d love to see her use her beautiful soccer kick of death
Oh, hey, I actually met the guys commentating back in the Smash 4 days. Cool to see they're still around!
That’s cool

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly I'm surprised Morrigan isn't in Smash as Capcom loves shoving her into crossover stuff
Probably because they really couldn't really justify her over Ryu, Mr. Fighting game, and Megaman, their mascot.
Though seeing this in the game would've been hilarious

EDIT: HOW DID ALL THREE IMAGES FAIL

Last edited:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Considering this game introduced only one fighter from a new franchise (while last game introduced 3, initially), which direction it will go?
Will bulk of the newcomers will be from preexisting franchises, or from newly introduced universes? Common perception of fanservice among hardcore Smash fans seems to point the former, but who knows, really.

What you guys say? I personally loved how Smash For expanded its scope from Smash 64 games more then Melee and Brawn, but same can't be done easily in this game.
I really hope Splatoon isn't the last new franchise in this game, but I'm going to assume we're getting mostly newcomers from pre existing franchises. Most of the popular characters come from franchises already represented, and since the ballot is going to be used for this game I'm not expecting many new IPs. If it were up to me, I would try fill up the roster with new universes as it leads to representation the series' would never get normally. It could also increase the popularity of the franchise so it could perhaps help them become popular. The only new franchise I think we have a good shot to get though is Rhythm Heaven. I really want that series to be known by more people. It's a shame it's so unpopular here, and I think representation in smash could really help the series out. Heck, I didn't even know what Rhythm Heaven was until the Gematsu leak. I figure Isaac also has decent shot, but I think it all depends on if he did well in the ballot. Unfortunately, most of these characters are relatively obscure, so I doubt it.

Noipoi

Howdy!
All I can say about Morrigan is she's one of the most attractive video game Women to me and I don't know if I could handle her in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom