• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I'm neutral on almost any character* until I actually play as them. As a result, the only character I could say I was disappointed with was Greninja simply because his trailer made him look really cool, but I can't use him very well at all. Everyone else either met my expectations or was Shulk. Smash 4 will always have my favorite batch of new characters just because it added Shulk

*(unless I really hate their design, which thankfully has not been the case for any character yet, but we might get Pyra this time so that could change...)

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm neutral on almost any character* until I actually play as them. As a result, the only character I could say I was disappointed with was Greninja simply because his trailer made him look really cool, but I can't use him very well at all. Everyone else either met my expectations or was Shulk. Smash 4 will always have my favorite batch of new characters just because it added Shulk

*(unless I really hate their design, which thankfully has not been the case for any character yet, but we might get Pyra this time so that could change...)
I know it's because I'm relatively new to Nintendo but Smash For newcomers satisfied me a lot. And same, Nintendo is pretty good with character design and guest fighters don't disappoint, either.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Re: designs - they edited Female Corrin’s design slightly for Smash (covered up her thighs a bit more) so if Pyra gets in I can see them taking a few...liberties to cover some stuff up, at least

and if Elma gets in and her True Form is an alternate costume, they may censor the breast area a bit, as well as the crotch and the infamous “booty window”...

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
IMO, Smash 4 is currently in the "it wasn't THAT good" phase that all games go through (Ocarina of Time is currently in the middle of one.) so people are harsher on it.

It had a lot of ambition in the wide array of different playstyles the newcomers brought and the breadth of 3rd party representation.

It seems a bit strange to say a lot of fan favorites got in when it lacked Ridley and King K. Rool but that's because we're taking what we got for granted now.

Characters like Mega Man, Little Mac, Bowser Jr and the Animal Crossing Villager were in big demand before the game and with DLC we got Roy and Mewtwo back.
Counterpoint: Ocarina is dated, no doubt. But if it’s currently going through it’s “maybe it wasn’t THAT good” phase after 20 years and another game in the franchise that shook everything up...I still think that’s a good sign. That may just be the “hating because it’s not the new one” phase.

With Sm4sh though, I grew bored within a year. I played Melee until Brawl released, and I played Brawl for years. If Sm4sh didn’t hold my interest, despite me being able to bring it with me, that’s how I feel it wasn’t up to speed. Most of that had to do with the lack of Single-Player modes - a SSE-style story is too complex, but even Melee had an adventire mode. Sm4sh‘s Classic (which wasn’t classic) and side mode (Run) were infinitely better on the 3DS, which need to finally die. The HD version was underpowered to support this dying handheld, and then gave us excuse modes in the first place.

It’s also impossible to talk about hyped characters without mentioning Mewtwo, Ridley or K. Rool, and when none of the three got in the base game, that proved that hype wasn’t everything. If it wasn’t for Mewtwo returning as DLC, I’d have stopped playing even earlier.

Now that Ultimate has added two of those three and added one of my favorites that had no chance of returning alone, I feel Ultimate will inherently be a better game.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
While I didn't care about him that much before he was revealed officialy. Shulk's inclusion helped the Xenoblade series so much, as someone whose favourite game of 2017 is XB2, I'm honestly extremely grateful he was included in hindsight, anime swordman or not, you just can't ignore how the first Xenoblade skyrocket in popularity after Shulk made peoples want to know more about the game he came from. Generating enough excitement for not one, but two sequel that had either moderate or great success (tho, XBX being on a dead console didn't help on that regard).

And you know, he isn't top tier or anything, but the Monado system did gave something to Shulk that no other swordfighter, or even other characters, could replicate, making him quit unique and fun in casual match once you got a good feeling on how to use his moves.

So, say all you want about Smash 4 Roster, but Monado Boy was a good call.:ultshulk:

Now Sakurai, if you could just give me Elma & Malos/Morag, I be a happy...Aegis Boy?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What the **** is this "Ocarina of Time is currently getting 'it aint that good'" bull**** it existed for as long as I knew of the ****ing game which was at least pre-2014. That being said, it still holds up and revolutionized gaming, but naturally it isn't as good as other games after it due to other games taking notes and improving it. Such as Ocarina of Time 3D

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Do you guys prefer vertical or horizontal order? I made to see how will they look ordered by series
Ooo this is really nice. If you move them over all the way to the edge can you fit one more row of 7 newcomers and a random? That's what I'm expecting, I'd like to see what this would look like with a full roster.

Leads me to think that Mario is done and Pokemon will get 1 more (because the CSS is the best way to make accurate predictions).

osby

Smash Obsessed
While I didn't care about him that much before he was revealed officialy. Shulk's inclusion helped the Xenoblade series so much, as someone whose favourite game of 2017 is XB2, I'm honestly extremely grateful he was included in hindsight, anime swordman or not, you just can't ignore how the first Xenoblade skyrocket in popularity after Shulk made peoples want to know more about the game he came from. Generating enough excitement for not one, but two sequel that had eithet moderate or great success (tho, XBX being on a dead console didn't help on that regard).

And you know, he isn't top tier or anything, but the Monado system did gave something to Shulk that no other swordfighter, or even other characters, could replicate, making him quit unique and fun in casual match once you got a good feeling on how to use his moves.

So, say all you want about Smash 4 Roster, but Monado Boy was a good call.:ultshulk:

Now Sakurai, if you could just give me Elma & Malos/Morag, I be a happy...Aegis Boy?
Monado is far from a regular sword but Arts didn't hurt either.

D

Deleted member

Re: designs - they edited Female Corrin’s design slightly for Smash (covered up her thighs a bit more) so if Pyra gets in I can see them taking a few...liberties to cover some stuff up, at least
They could always solve the problem completely by not putting her in, and instead including the far superior Xenoblade 2 character: Ardainian Soldier.

I haven't played Xenoblade 2, but if I ever do, it makes me sad I won't be able to experience the Soldier the way the devs intended.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
While on the topic of Smash 4, I think the biggest issues from that game that need to be fixed are the menus and single player content. I'm already confident we'll have a really good roster and we know the mechanics have been changed mostly for the better.

osby

Smash Obsessed
While on the topic of Smash 4, I think the biggest issues from that game that need to be fixed are the menus and single player content. I'm already confident we'll have a really good roster and we know the mechanics have been changed mostly for the better.
This game is going to be even more competitive oriented so I hope it doesn't prevent us from getting good casual content...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
They could always solve the problem completely by not putting her in, and instead including the far superior Xenoblade 2 character: Ardainian Soldier.

I haven't played Xenoblade 2, but if I ever do, it makes me sad I won't be able to experience the Soldier the way the devs intended.
“THINK YOU CAN TAKE ME?!”
“DON’T FORGET ME!”

press F to pay respects for those gloriously meme-y lines of dialogue gone too soon

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I just realized how underrepresented Mario Party is in Smash.

A trophy in Brawl
A single somewhat mediocre song in Smash Wii U.

We need a Wario Ware Inc styled Mario Party stage and throw some

Booksquirm
Hexagon Heat
Fish Upon a Star
Pushy Penguins

D

Deleted member

A trophy in Brawl

Booksquirm
Hexagon Heat
Fish Upon a Star
Pushy Penguins
In a timed match, when time is half up, the loser needs to get some kind of massive buff.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

A trophy in Brawl

Booksquirm
Hexagon Heat
Fish Upon a Star
Pushy Penguins
Finally, we can make a 'Luigi wins by doing absolutely nothing' thing for Smash

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
For those who participated in Smash 4 speculation, I think the biggest letdown for us was seeing how much time we wasted on popular franchises that ultimately wouldn't receive anything.

"Who will get in? Bandana Dee or Magolor?" Neither. Kirby isn't getting a newcomer.
"I think we might finally get a new Zelda newcomer." Nope. In fact, most of the popular candidates will be Assist Trophies.
"I wonder if Tropical Freeze came out too late for Dixie." Apparently. By the way, you ain't getting K. Rool.
"It's been months since that Ridley shadow reveal. Is it possible...?" Don't hold your breath.

Seriously, I can't tell you how depressing it is when I think about all the popular franchises that were discussed over the two years of speculation only for Mario, Pokemon, Kid Icarus, and Fire Emblem to gain something. Heck, it feels like Pokemon was the only one of those four franchises that a majority of people were looking forward to for a newcomer, and even then, Greninja initially disappointed a lot of people.

P.Kat

Smash Champion

I feel the same in a way, the newcomers for Smash 4 were good, but that's probably because I got 3/6 of the characters on my Wishlist(Palutena, Lucina, Corrin), plus Cloud so I was satisfied, but aside from them, I thought the roster was alright adding Rosalina was great idea. I remember wanting to be great with Greninja cause... I like ninja characters, but his jump was always so uncontrollable to me (it was tough pulling off successful footstool combos), hopefully that gets fixed this time around, or I'll just try harder.

osby

Smash Obsessed
For those who participated in Smash 4 speculation, I think the biggest letdown for us was seeing how much time we wasted on popular franchises that ultimately wouldn't receive anything.

"Who will get in? Bandana Dee or Magolor?" Neither. Kirby isn't getting a newcomer.
"I think we might finally get a new Zelda newcomer." Nope. In fact, most of the popular candidates will be Assist Trophies.
"I wonder if Tropical Freeze came out too late for Dixie." Apparently. By the way, you ain't getting K. Rool.
"It's been months since that Ridley shadow reveal. Is it possible...?" Don't hold your breath.

Seriously, I can't tell you how depressing it is when I think about all the popular franchises that were discussed over the two years of speculation only for Mario, Pokemon, Kid Icarus, and Fire Emblem to gain something. Heck, it feels like Pokemon was the only one of those four franchises that a majority of people were looking forward to for a newcomer, and even then, Greninja initially disappointed a lot of people.
So, take lesson: don't get your hopes up.

D

Deleted member

I remember wanting to be great with Greninja cause... I like ninja characters, but his jump was always so uncontrollable to me (it was tough pulling off successful footstool combos), hopefully that gets fixed this time around, or I'll just try harder.
I'd definitely try twice as hard to learn Greninja if he had a Politoed color or if his cheer is changed to "GO NINJA, GO NINJA, GO!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Smash 4 newcomers? Alright.

:ultvillager:- Reveal: Really happy because it was a character that I supported in the early Brawl speculation days but got dumped on because they were too "generic."

Now: Was my main in Smash 4 and will probably at least be a secondary in Ultimate.

:ultmegaman:- Reveal: Was in my top three since Melee so his kick-ass trailer was just icing on the cake.

Now: Love playing as the character but was never really good with him. I still think he's one of the most "true" movesets of the entire cast.

:ultwiifittrainer:- Reveal: The ultimate troll reveal. Had to make a decision whether to hate her or love her and I chose the latter. A great surprise made even better by how many people were genuinely upset with her being added.

Now- Was my secondary in SSB4 but won me a ton of local tournaments and made me kind of notorious in the area. Definitely picking her up again in Ultimate.

:ultrosalina:- Reveal: I sat stone faced. I feel like she jumped the line for Mario reps and my resentment grew when it showed she was a "puppet" fighter.

Now: The Queen of Jank aside from Bayo. Sucks to fight and my least favorite character to play against aside from Yoshi.

:ultlittlemac:- Reveal: Hype reveal. He was in my top three so I was really happy he clinched a spot.

Now- Still love his addition but his playstyle didn't work for me. Was really frustrating trying to main or even have as a secondary. Might give him a go again with Ultimate.

:ultgreninja:- Reveal: Seemingly came out of nowhere. It was nice to have a fully evolved water Pokemon as a fighter.

Now: Was one of my secondaries after the nerfs. I feel like he hits a nice sweet spot for people like me who think characters like Fox and Sheik are too fast but want someone technical and combo centric.

:ultmiifighters:- Reveal: Amazing trailer but DGAF aside from that.

Now: See above but they do look a lot better for Ultimate.

:ultpalutena:- Reveal: She was in my top 5 so I was happy to see her.

Now: Didn't like how boring she was without customs but Ultimate seems to be taking care of that.

:ultpacman:- Reveal: Hated this character for the longest time but the trailer made me an instant fan. One of the most creative movesets in the game.

Now: a great addition, even if he wasn't one of my characters, and still a lot of fun to watch.

:ultlucina::ultrobin- Reveal: Really hype if only because it made the Gematsu leak go down in flames.

Now: Lucina became a functional alternative to Marth after a buttload of buffs while Robin lost his snowflake status after nearly as many. Was sure both would be on the chopping block for Ultimate but glad they both made it.

:ultshulk:- Reveal: Never played Xenoblade so I had no strong feelings.

Now: See above.

:ultbowserjr:- Reveal: One of my least favorite Mario characters but the Koopalings totally redeemed this character for me. Like Pac-Man, another character I didn't want in Smash but Sakurai changed my mind about them.

Now: With Wii Fit, Iggy was my most reliable secondary in Smash 4. Really hoping for a lot of buffs in Ultimate.

:ultduckhunt:- Reveal: A fun addition. The trailer was cute.

Now: Like Pac-Man, never could figure them out but a blast to watch pros play them.

:ultryu:- Reveal: Didn't care but thought it was a good fit.

Now: Aside from how jank Sureyukon can be, I still think it was a good fit.

:ultcloud:- Reveal: "He did it... The absolute madman.."

Now: Basically played like a teenage boy's OC which made me resent the crap out of him. Glad he's getting a buttload of nerfs in Ultimate.

:ultcorrin:- Reveal: Literally who and why does this game need another Fire Emblem character?

Now: Probably the most unique FE character in Smash but Fates itself was super forgettable especially since, IMO, Shadows of Valentia was so much better.

:ultbayonetta:- Reveal: "Really?" Sakurai really never stops with the surprises. The trailer made it grossly apparent that they would be broken as all get out though.

Now: Her and Cloud kind of ruined competitive Smash 4 for me a little bit but not enough to make me quit. She just made it a lot less interesting as a spectator sport. Also glad she's probably going to be nerfed to hell too.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Smash 4's newcomers suddenly being ''not all that incredible" is kind of laughable to me.

It added Animal Crossing and Xenoblade reps. AC is a top Nintendo franchise that is beloved worldwide. Xenoblade was on the rise.

The grandfather of all gaming Pac Man became a fighter.

The face of fighting games themselves, Ryu, became a fighter.

The impossible happened when Cloud Strife joined the battle.

Two really popular recent faces of the Mario franchise in Rosalina and Bowser Jr were added.

Fire Emblem: Awakening, the FE that saved the franchise added two of it's main characters to the roster.

Mega Man, a platforming icon joined the roster.

That's not even everyone but to say Sakurai didn't add a dynamite cast of newcomers for Smash 4 is just a little bit strange.

He knocked it out of the park.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So, take lesson: don't get your hopes up.
I did, and it was wrong for me to automatically assume Smash 4 would end up with a roster similar to Brawl's. I've lowered my expectations significantly since then, and I'm entirely prepared for a situation where Ridley and the returning vets end up being the only fanservice characters we get in Ultimate.

If what we already saw is what we get, then I'm content. It's nowhere near as good as Brawl's roster, but more than good enough to surpass what I was expecting, especially since Ridley of all people got in.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Smash 4's newcomers suddenly being ''not all that incredible" is kind of laughable to me.

It added Animal Crossing and Xenoblade reps. AC is a top Nintendo franchise that is beloved worldwide. Xenoblade was on the rise.

The grandfather of all gaming Pac Man became a fighter.

The face of fighting games themselves, Ryu, became a fighter.

The impossible happened when Cloud Strife joined the battle.

Two really popular recent faces of the Mario franchise in Rosalina and Bowser Jr were added.

Fire Emblem: Awakening, the FE that saved the franchise added two of it's main characters to the roster.

Mega Man, a platforming icon joined the roster.

That's not even everyone but to say Sakurai didn't add a dynamite cast of newcomers for Smash 4 is just a little bit strange.

He knocked it out of the park.
Agreed so much. I entered Smash for with no expectations and it was amazing. I don't know if I would be disappointed otherwise. They were the best newcomers for me.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

I was the exact opposite other than Zelda. I was expecting more newcomers from new enough series and only expected Mario and Kid Icarus as vet series to have newcomers join (one for each...two was better) and then a Zelda newcomer...which didn’t happen. Since I don’t Pokemon I didn’t predict any newcomers from them, didn’t think about K Rool, didn’t want a Kirby newcomer at the time due to not being able to think of a character, and knew nothing about Fire Emblem at the slightest outside of playing Sacred Stone.

Overall I didn’t leave Smash 4 speculation disappointed, and only more excited getting to see fresh series and faces like Little Mac (whom I didn’t expect to join) and Shulk (who I knew of through his game...but not much on the man himself)...also Fire Emblem characters galore (now I’m a fan thanks to a Smash 4...and Awakening...and Fates...and Heroes...and Echoes...and Blazing Blade for Lyn)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
But this game has Brawl's entire roster in it. If you're referring to the number of new characters, then yeah, it's obviously not going to be.
Just referring to the additions as a whole. Regardless of which franchise(s) you loved the most, I feel like you could find at least two or three new characters who genuinely pumped you up for the game. There was also the addition of third-parties, so that opened up a whole new window to Smash speculation.

Smash 4 by comparison was just "Meh". It just didn't manage to spread out its newcomers and appeal to the fanbase the same way Brawl did. Ultimate is already doing a fantastic job with this, and if it keeps adding characters of a similar level of hype as Ridley and the returning vets, then I might even argue that Ultimate is superior to Brawl's roster. However, it's way too early to say. I'll get back to you when all is said and done.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
As a lot of others have said, Smash 4 was okay, but a majority of the newcomers just didn't excite me at all. I think the only reveals that genuinely pumped me up were Rosalina, Mewtwo, and Lucas. Everyone else got a neutral or negative response from me.

I know we've only seen three newcomers and some returning cuts, but I'm already more satisfied with this Smash's character reveals than I ever was with the previous game. Bringing back Ice Climbers and Pokemon Trainer was incredible, and introducing Inklings and Ridley crossed off two of my most-wanted right from the beginning. Even though I'd like a lot more, I'm already content with what we have.

That being said, I don't expect much after E3, and I'm preparing myself for the rest of the reveals being subpar. I don't think Sakurai is gonna strictly add popular newcomers, and if Vergeben is correct, Simon Belmont and that mysterious third "controversial character" he hinted at will mark the beginning of my declining interest in the remaining newcomers, similar to Smash 4 after E3 2013.
Wait, what did Vergeben state about a third character? I rememeber only Simon Belmont and Isabelle, and couldn't find more...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Wait, what did Vergeben state about a third character? I rememeber only Simon Belmont and Isabelle, and couldn't find more...
Vergeben claims to know of a third character aside from Simon and Isabelle who will be in Ultimate, and he believes this character will be "controversial".

Whether or not this character would actually come across as controversial to us (or if it's even in the game) remains to be seen.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Gameplay from the UK (posted already or not my boy Pit shines...and still can’t read)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
All I know is that after Brawl, a lot of people were complaining that the latest franchise added was Pikmin, which was seven years old at that point, and that Smash needed new franchises in general.

Smash 4 fixed that, and then people complain in the opposite direction.

This all just feels a bit cyclical. I know personal taste is a thing, but I fully expect people to complain about Ultimate the same way they are currently complaining about Smash 4 and how they used to complain about Brawl.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

You’re saying everything that I’ve thought about the Sm4sh roster. That was the first time I actually got involved in speculation, and exactly zero of my most wanted newcomers and returning vets were in the base game - and it’s not like many of them were obscure either. And on too of that, they removed controversial mechanics (transformations) that I liked. All of the newcomers also came with some ‘gimmick,’ none were really pick-up-and-play.

Brawl also was the only time I heard a character announcement that hyped me immeasurably, that being the Pokémon Trainer. Seriously, I’m 30 and I went to bed the night after E3 this year hugging an old Squirtle plushie since I was so happy to see him back. Every announcement from Sm4sh was on some level of “oh, ok,” to “ugh,” mainly since I didn’t recognize a lot of the series.

With the already confirmed characters, Ultimate’s roster blows everything else out of the water. K. Rool is also still looking likely, but I won’t be too sad without him since so many other characters are here. This is also the first time I’m supporting more obscure no-chancers - if the Dragonborn by some miracle gets in, I’ll go nuts, but it’ll be tough to find a universe that that’ll occur. Like I said, I’m not banking on anything.

Sm4sh just burned me too badly.

Roberk

Smash Champion
All I know is that after Brawl, a lot of people were complaining that the latest franchise added was Pikmin, which was seven years old at that point, and that Smash needed new franchises in general.

This all just feels a bit cyclical. I know personal taste is a thing, but I fully expect people to complain about Ultimate the same way they are currently complaining about Smash 4 and how they used to complain about Brawl.
Metroid gets Dark Samus in any way

"Wow, look at Sakurai bias with Metroid! I guess he and Japan love this series and nothing else!"

osby

Smash Obsessed

I personally expect "no new guest fighters?!" and "we need more cuts".
People always look old games differently. Brawn newcomers hardly had a positive reception prior to Smash For and people ignore the hype newcomers in the last game created outside of speculation cycle.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Vergeben claims to know of a third character aside from Simon and Isabelle who will be in Ultimate, and he believes this character will be "controversial".

Whether or not this character would actually come across as controversial to us (or if it's even in the game) remains to be seen.
He called Ridley so Isabelle is the third
Thanks for the answers.

I wonder who could be "controversial". Maybe a character like Elma, now that Rex and Pyra are the most popular possible Xenoblade newcomer?

A man can hope...

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Metroid gets Dark Samus in any way

"Wow, look at Sakurai bias with Metroid! I guess he and Japan love this series and nothing else!"
You are joking, but I think I heard peoples saying before that Sakurai was bias for Star Fox when Wolf got in instead of *insert favourite charactere from other franchise here*.

Really, every Smash games repeat the same cycle with different characters. I guarante we are going to get a new "Sakurai is bias toward X franchise!" thing when the full roster will be revealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom