• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Troykv

Smash Master
A-HEM. Lyn? (I know, Ike is the most popular male. XD)
Ike was Top 5 with both version of him; and Ike it's the only character that was able to get 50K Votes; he is definitely the most popular lord.

And that is just with the Hardcore FE Fandom; when you also add more random fans; Ike it's even more popular

Roberk

Smash Champion
Yeah; following trends people would easily fail in the trap of seeing Chrom as the "next Ike"...

And in the end Ike is still the most popular Lord.
Ike is mainly popular due to actually being in Smash (Bonus points for Brawl, the most-selling singular Smash game that was also on the Wii which was popular amongst casuals.) If Chrom had Awakening and Smash, dear God...

KMDP

Smash Legend
Based on the CYL results, Ike is more popular if you combine the vote totals for his FE9 and FE10 versions.
Ike was Top 5 with both version of him; and Ike it's the only character that was able to get 50K Votes; he is definitely the most popular lord.

And that is just with the Hardcore FE Fandom; when you also add more random fans; Ike it's even more popular
Well, I've been schooled. :laugh:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
You guys...the more I think about this character...the more I want them, and it’s sad because I know there’s no way it’ll happen...but...
1530491542685.png
He’d be so cool.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Here's an activity for you all.

State your reaction for each of these events.

Your reaction if Captain Toad is revealed.
Your reaction if Papaer Mario is revealed.
Your reaction if K.Rool is revealed.
Your reaction if Dixie Kong is revealed.
Your reaction if Skull Kid is revealed.
Your reaction if a champion is revealed.
Your reaction if Dark Samus is revealed.
Your reaction if Bandana Waddle Dee is revealed.
Your reaction if Decidueye is revealed.
Your reaction if Incineroar is revealed.
Your reaction if Mimikyu is revealed.
Your reaction if Celica is revealed.
Your reaction if Ashley is revealed.
Your reaction if Elma is Revealed.
Your reaction if Rex and Pyra is revealed.
Your reaction if Wonder Red is revealed.
Your reaction if Dillon is revealed.
Your reaction if Spring Man is revealed.
Your reaction if Simon is revealed.
Your reaction if Crash is revealed.
Damn late but only just got PC access

Captain Toad is revealed: "****ING JUSTICE FOR TOAD, FINALLY AFTER NEARLY TWO DECADES. THE MARIO CORE CAST ARE ALL PLAYABLE, I LITERALLY WILL NEVER ASK FOR ANYONE ELSE, THE DREAM IS REALISED, THANK THE STARS IT'S TIME FOR ADVENTURE"
Also genuinely curious how the official moveset would compare to my animated one. Hoping Toadette is an alt at the very least.

If Paper Mario is revealed.
"Not my top choice for Mario newcomer, but cannot deny he's a decent inclusion. Hope he uses partners"

If K.Rool is revealed.
"let's see what all the fuss is about"

If Dixie Kong is revealed.
"The DK tritagonist finally in"

"Not Impa, Not Vaati and not Tingle but at least a popular Zelda character."

"Only one champion? What makes *insert champion name* more important than *insert other three champions names*?"

"Neat. Really making up for the lack of Metroid representation in past games"

"Hell yes! Kirby quad is complete as is my Kirby franchise craving...apart from Gooey anyway"

"eh...kinda disappointed we managed to guess which Pokemon newcomer was going to happen"

"A Pokemon villain? Neat. Oh, he's not a villain but plays one? Would still prefer a different villainous cat Pokemon though..."

"Hmmm. Would prefer a different Team Rocket Pokemon, but I guess this okay for a Pikachu rival."

"Opossum's gonna be happy"

"Eeeeeh..."

"Kinda neat. Hope she plays as fun as I imagine"

"Meh, okay"

"Surprising. I wonder how the hell they'll implement the rest of the team...."

"ROLLING ROLLING ROLLING, KEEP THEM WAGONS ROLLING"

"Predictable and a bit meh. I guess Little Mac has a rival though"

"Huh. Wish he and Bomberman swapped roles instead."

Your reaction if Crash is revealed:
"A third party addition for Ultimate I actually kinda like? HOLY CRAP"

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Brb still marking out over the idea of Gengar being a playable fighter. Would be sick af if he did show up

KMDP

Smash Legend
You know... maybe Crash Bandicoot beat out Bayonetta in the ballot, but when Sakurai went to Activision to ask for him, they said "Sorry, but we're currently focusing on marketing Crash for the Playstation. Maybe next time?"

Just a spontaneous thought I had... XD

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Yup, that's your Yoshi fanaticism talking. And that's taking into account the fact that Kamek is almost definitely still stuck on the Mushroom Kingdom U stage. One has been part of their series for decades and is actually, well, important, and the other was an extremely minor character that only appears in a single area of a game released in 1996. The only way Boshi's getting into the game is if he is a trophy, and the only way that happens is if Geno is playable, and even then you'd have to go through quite a few characters before a Boshi trophy gets priority.
Okay, I think you misunderstand me. I know that Boshi is unlikely, I never claimed he was. He is my most wanted for 2 reasons: 1) His potential was wasted in SMRPG and I want him to make a comeback to further develop him and 2) having him my most wanted is pretty much my way of avoiding setting myself up for disappointment. I mean seriously, how distraught are King K. Rool fans gonna be if he doesn't get in? My point was about Kamek and his lack of a clear playstyle. I of course saw really good suggestions and I changed my mind, but at the time that was my argument.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I guess I could see Octolings being a same-slot costume though. I really don't think Octos were relevant enough when the game was being made to be playable. Maybe as a cheap DLC character.
Roy was added last minuite in Melee as a Marth Clone to advertise his game. The same could happen with the Octolings, Clones/Echoes aren't usually in the Project Plan, they could be more recent.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
You know what I remembered?

That during 2017 Sakurai went to two concerts about the celebration of the Kirby 25th Anniversary.
It was about the entire Kirby history, from Kirby's Adventure to Kirby Battle Royale.

One of the last songs was sung by Bandana Dee's voice actress (yeah, Dee has a voice, he sometimes talks in some videos in the Kirby Twitter, with Susie).
The song was about Bandana Dee drinking apple juice, because he wanted to be stronger than Kirby. It was based on the apple minigame from Kirby Battle Royale.

With the extremely deep meaning of that song, there is no doubt Sakurai will add Bandana Dee to the game.

No, but seriously, at least Sakurai knows that the character is decently important.
And he is not as biased as people thing, he went to the concert and he listened to the soundtrack of every game and some extras.
Or maybe he just listened to the Kirby Super Star part and then went to sleep.
Why I can't post anything serious?!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

That during 2017 Sakurai went to two concerts about the celebration of the Kirby 25th Anniversary.
It was about the entire Kirby history, from Kirby's Adventure to Kirby Battle Royale.

One of the last songs was sung by Bandana Dee's voice actress (yeah, Dee has a voice, he sometimes talks in some videos in the Kirby Twitter, with Susie).
The song was about Bandana Dee drinking apple juice, because he wanted to be stronger than Kirby. It was based on the apple minigame from Kirby Battle Royale.

With the extremely deep meaning of that song, there is no doubt Sakurai will add Bandana Dee to the game.

No, but seriously, at least Sakurai knows that the character is decently important.
And he is not as biased as people thing, he went to the concert and he listened to the soundtrack of every game and some extras.
Except he is heavily biased towards Kirby games that he created. Just because a character is requested and popular does not mean that they will get in.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Roy was added last minuite in Melee as a Marth Clone to advertise his game. The same could happen with the Octolings, Clones/Echoes aren't usually in the Project Plan, they could be more recent.
Here's a thought. Maybe if the Octolings are Echoes, they are near identical to the Inklings, but their ink instead lowers the opponent's damage (while keeping knockback the same), in contrast to the 'take more damage' ink of the Inklings.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Here's a thought. Maybe if the Octolings are Echoes, they are near identical to the Inklings, but their ink instead lowers the opponent's damage (while keeping knockback the same), in contrast to the 'take more damage' ink of the Inklings.
I don't think that the Octolings are getting in because players might get confused between them and the Inklings, because they look so similar. This is also why I don't think that Ninten is getting in. He just looks too close to Ness.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I don't think that the Octolings are getting in because players might get confused between them and the Inklings, because they look so similar. This is also why I don't think that Ninten is getting in. He just looks too close to Ness.
Splatoon has a ton of Outfit combinations, most of which the Inklings lack. If done right, telling apart Octoling and Inkling should be as easy as telling apart Pichu and Pikachu

KMDP

Smash Legend
Looks like someone didn't read this post by Dracyoshi Dracyoshi .
I mean, I don't think the Octolings are getting in as more than an Alt, but colours (and appearance, as PeridotGX PeridotGX and MamaLuigi123456 MamaLuigi123456 said) aren't an issue.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Looking at Sonic and PAC-MAN's alts, I don't think that's an issue

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549

Do you have a video with Bandanna Dee's voice? (Odd question. I know.)

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Yoshi's Up Special has worked the same way and has had the same utility for 20 years (not including that slight extra height boost in Smash 4) but now that a new mechanic has been put into place for the eggs after all this time, it makes me wonder what other out-of-the-box change they'll give to him...

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Actually I'd argue Robin is just as, if not, more important than Chrom in their respective game. Awakening's overarching plot revolves around discovering who Robin is just as much as it revolves around Chrom growing as a character as well. Lucina is fair game though for your point, but Robin is the joint-protagonist with Chrom.
I would wanna say Robin’s joint with Chrom, but he/she doesn’t have their storyline truly kick off until the 2nd act of the game (or whatever the timeline jump is called).

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Yoshi's Up Special has worked the same way and has had the same utility for 20 years (not including that slight extra height boost in Smash 4) but now that a new mechanic has been put into place for the eggs after all this time, it makes me wonder what other out-of-the-box change they'll give to him...
I at least want Egg Lay to allow him to consume healing items to give them extra healing effect, like Kirby's Inhale or Wario's Chomp.

tether recovery with grab as a reference to Yoshi's Story would also be cool, but I doubt it.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Does anyone have a link to what Bill or Reggie or Sakurai or whoever it was said about Echo Fighters? From the posts I've read here, they are only echoes if they share the same stats (movement speed, jump heights, traction, frame data and for the most part, hurtbox size and range) but have different properties on their moves. They're able to have unique taunts, victory poses, idle animations and voices though.

I ask because I see so much discussion on echoes but then people bring up the idea of changing something to be more canonical to the character in question that would no longer make them an echo. And echo hasn't entirely replaced the term 'clone', right? Like, Melee Falco isn't a Fox echo because he has a higher jump and a slower run. He's also not a semi-clone because he borrows the vast majority of his animations from Fox compared to Luigi for example who has progressively borrowed less from Mario than he did in 64. Just wanting some clarity on this since it's a common topic and I'd like to be on the same page as everyone else.

Speaking of links, anyone got links to the Waluigi harassment Sakurai got on Twitter or whatever it was? When that **** first happened, I kept seeing posts from someone that it was just one or two people doing it but I swear some people in this thread have decided to label the entire Waluigi fanbase like those harassers. And there's apparently disappointment if Waluigi gets in now because Nintendo acknowledged the outlash of Waluigi's disconfirmation? Should Ridley be taken out then? Someone (I wanna say Opossom but could be wrong) mentioned how Ridley fans did the same **** back when Sm4sh was new. Just seems silly to treat this Waluigi stuff like it's a bigger deal than it is, assuming it is just 2 people.

And what exactly makes Waluigi a meme? My understanding is that a meme is a phrase or picture spread around on the internet as a joke, like the Alfonzo: Leave it to me! thing. That's a meme. There's people that genuinely like Waluigi, myself including and it's not as some sort of joke. Is bandwagon the more appropriate term? People wanting Waluigi because they saw others wanting him and no other reason? I just don't get what's memey about him unless it's people saying 'Wah!' a lot or whatever.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Here's an activity for you all.

State your reaction for each of these events.

Your reaction if Captain Toad is revealed.
Your reaction if Papaer Mario is revealed.
Your reaction if K.Rool is revealed.
Your reaction if Dixie Kong is revealed.
Your reaction if Crash is revealed.

Captain Toad - Great, finally we got Toad somewhat in the game. I wonder how he would play.

Paper Mario - Ugh ... One of the few I did not really need. Still, I got to see what he actually offers, I might like him, but the thought of another Mario ...

K. Rool - Now, I can rest in peace. I've waited since Brawl, this was my only wish since then, THANK YOU SAKURAI.

Dixie Kong - Hooray! Dixie is one of the all-stars we still did not have, so I'm really glad to see her in the game, she deserves it a lot.

Skull Kid - Now this is something! I've wanted him during Brawl, and was surprised he made an AT in Smash 4. The thought of him actually making it as a playable is pretty interesting! Child me will be really pleased.

Champion - Never played the game, but I guess this character could bring something unique to the roster. I don't mind, but others I'd like to see before it.

Dark Samus - THANK GOD it's not an echo fighter. While I think it was enough with Ridley for now, I don't mind the inclusion, really.

Bandana Waddle Dee - I know a lot of people who will be happy. I just hope he plays remotely close to the SSF2 incarnation, then I will have some major fun.

Decidueye - Pretty cool. I picked Rowlet anyways, and I think his design is creative enough to be very interesting.

Incineroar - Not bad, wonder how he will play. I guess a wrestler cat could be fun.

Mimikyu - Oh God ... This will be interesting. I know he was popular, but I hope he will be very fun at least.

Celica - Now isn't she a cutie? Never played a Fire Emblem, but I don't mind this.

Ashley - Aww ... The cutie little witch from the haunted mansion! This I can love. Can't wait to see how she'll play.

Elma - I'm ok with this, she looks badass, and I've heard promising concepts. Can't wait to see more.

Rex & Pyra - FOR THE BASE GAME!? WHAT WE THOUGHT WE KNEW WAS A LIE. Still, this could be pretty cool.

Wonder Red - Ehm ... Ok. I think he looks too much like Viewtiful Joe, and, I don't like Viewtiful Joe. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt tho.

Dillon - I was surprised to see him at all as an AT in Smash 4, and now playable? That's dope! Can't wait to try him out.

Spring Man - IN THE BASE ROSTER !? That was a risky move, Sakurai! Still, I'd thought he would end up either way, DLC or base, it will be fun, I'm sure.

Simon - Makes sense. I think he will be pretty fun. If this was Brawl or Smash 4, I'd react differently, but now seems like the best time for him.

Crash - You've heard me, Sakurai. The only 3rd party left to satisfy my hunger, and you did it. Sonic vs Mario vs Crash, my dream is getting closer.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Speaking of links, anyone got links to the Waluigi harassment Sakurai got on Twitter or whatever it was? When that **** first happened, I kept seeing posts from someone that it was just one or two people doing it but I swear some people in this thread have decided to label the entire Waluigi fanbase like those harassers. And there's apparently disappointment if Waluigi gets in now because Nintendo acknowledged the outlash of Waluigi's disconfirmation? Should Ridley be taken out then? Someone (I wanna say Opossom but could be wrong) mentioned how Ridley fans did the same **** back when Sm4sh was new. Just seems silly to treat this Waluigi stuff like it's a bigger deal than it is, assuming it is just 2 people.

And what exactly makes Waluigi a meme? My understanding is that a meme is a phrase or picture spread around on the internet as a joke, like the Alfonzo: Leave it to me! thing. That's a meme. There's people that genuinely like Waluigi, myself including and it's not as some sort of joke. Is bandwagon the more appropriate term? People wanting Waluigi because they saw others wanting him and no other reason? I just don't get what's memey about him unless it's people saying 'Wah!' a lot or whatever.
The whole twitter thing is mostly just being used as a convenient excuse by people who never wanted Waluigi in the first place.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
You just answered your own question.

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
Except he is heavily biased towards Kirby games that he created. Just because a character is requested and popular does not mean that they will get in.
I mean, Sakurai did create Bandana Dee. Granted, it was an incredibly brief moment in Kirby Super Star, and he wouldn't be fleshed out more until the post-Sakurai Kirby games, but Bandana Dee at his core is still 100% a Sakurai creation.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Does anyone have a link to what Bill or Reggie or Sakurai or whoever it was said about Echo Fighters? From the posts I've read here, they are only echoes if they share the same stats (movement speed, jump heights, traction, frame data and for the most part, hurtbox size and range) but have different properties on their moves. They're able to have unique taunts, victory poses, idle animations and voices though.

I ask because I see so much discussion on echoes but then people bring up the idea of changing something to be more canonical to the character in question that would no longer make them an echo. And echo hasn't entirely replaced the term 'clone', right? Like, Melee Falco isn't a Fox echo because he has a higher jump and a slower run. He's also not a semi-clone because he borrows the vast majority of his animations from Fox compared to Luigi for example who has progressively borrowed less from Mario than he did in 64. Just wanting some clarity on this since it's a common topic and I'd like to be on the same page as everyone else.
Video containing Gamexplain asking Bill Trinen what Echo Fighters are. I have nothing about Waluigi, though.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think that’s possible. 8-10. Who are your picks for base roster newcomers, and DLC?
Base roster: Bandana Dee, Elma, Simon, *maybe* Lip, Chrom (Ike Echo), Shadow, K. Rool
DLC: Rex & Pyra (with Addam & Mythra Echo), ARMS rep, Dixie Kong OR Funky Kong, anyone else is fair game tbh

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I mean, Sakurai did create Bandana Dee. Granted, it was an incredibly brief moment in Kirby Super Star, and he wouldn't be fleshed out more until the post-Sakurai Kirby games, but Bandana Dee at his core is still 100% a Sakurai creation.
Wasn't Bandana Dee only in the Ultra remake of Super Star which Sakurai had nothing to do with? Sakurai made Sailor Hat Dee though.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
You just answered your own question.
So Waluigi is a meme purely because people like to say something he says a lot? Would Pac-Man be a meme if people constantly said waka-waka? I'd bring up Sonic too and 'you're too slow' or really anything to do with speed but Sonic and some of his fellow characters are memes regardless. Seems odd to me that people say 'people only want Waluigi because of memes' when the 'meme' is just people saying one of his lines, especially since it's Waluigi specifically. The biggest draw for the character is his personality and that includes his 'wah'. He says it when surprised, when upset, it's the first part of his laugh etc. Waluigi without 'wah' is like Mario without 'let'sa go', Sonic without speed references, Robin without references to tactics and there's probably more examples. Heck, a meme got into Sm4sh with Shulk's 'now it's Shulk time' referencing Reyn's 'now it's Reyn time' line.

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
Wasn't Bandana Dee only in the Ultra remake of Super Star which Sakurai had nothing to do with? Sakurai made Sailor Hat Dee though.
Nope, definitely in the SNES version. He's the first enemy in the Megaton Punch competition. Here's a clip:

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I don't think they'll release Echos or semi-clones as DLC. Lucas and Roy were exceptions as they were previously cut veterans
Yes, this is why I got so annoyed at the notion of Echo Shadow as DLC in that fake leak the other day
If you're going to hold back Shadow for DLC, why would you make him an Echo? You've got time to focus on him specifically. I can at least see where "Echo Shadow in the Base Game" is coming from, but DLC Echo Shadow makes me very frustrated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom