• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
I'll add them, but I actually don't think they have a snowball's chance due to their ink colors overlapping with the inklings, potentially causing a lot of chaos on the battlefield.
I can't see Sakurai going out of his way to make it work.
Splatoon has a lot of ink colors. They can be set to anything with hex values. Assuming they use a similar system and not manually colored textures, it wouldn't be too hard to add more.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Waluigi is pretty much already in that position.
Smash fans like purple, I guess.
Going by that metric, Shantae should be the next fan favorite (her hair's purple, and all).

Which is why I foresee more 3rd parties than people expect this time.

I mean, after the popular 1st parties (Dixie, the King, BDW, the Witch and the Golden Boy, among others)
Whether it's the case or not, we'll see. But yeah, after a huge chunk is taken out of current first party requests, people will start paying more attention to the lesser favored characters that didn't get a shot.

You know, based on my experience, I am sure Sakurai will reveal at least one character that is unexpected and not one of these safe picks. One not expected to get in and not speculated on. I am sure we'll get such a character for the base DLC for this game.
Aside from the handful of people who were right in guessing the new arrival, like for Duck Hunt.

Zeox

Smash Champion
*blocks your path*
I wouldn't mind having Giegue, I just preffer Porky because that would piss off both Ness and Lucas.
But Giygas tragic story makes him likeable enough, specially if his final smash is the nightmare monster he is in Earthbound.
But Porky have something that Giegue will never have, and is this:
Beautiful decoration fountain

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
I wouldn't mind having Giegue, I just preffer Porky because that would piss off both Ness and Lucas.
But Giygas tragic story makes him likeable enough, specially if his final smash is the nightmare monster he is in Earthbound.
But Porky have something that Giegue will never have, and is this:
Beautiful decoration fountain
If I were a billionaire living in a fancy mansion, I would pay to have those at my hou- I mean, mansion.

KMDP

Smash Legend
You know... Sakurai said (paraphrased from memory) "all in all, there are 8 variants of Villager" and "Inklings are very fashionable, they have 8 variants". But... we know that certain characters, possibly all of them, have more than 8 costumes (See: Meta Ridley).

So... what if that wasn't a lie? There are only eight variants of Villager and Inkling, because the other eight of each are Isabelle and the Octolings, respectively?

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Punch Out names:

Bonk: Turbo Caveman
Fawful: Furious Owner of Fury
Vaati: the Minish Mage
Skull Kid: Majora’s Wrath
Weevil: Bisected Space Pirate
Alvis or Anna: Another Fire Emblem character‽

Roberk

Smash Champion
When it comes to the reboot discussion, I think the idea is more of an alternate timeline rather than the next Smash game.

Imagine if Smash hasn't existed until the Switch. It's a new IP in a volatile genre: fighting games. Pre-Existing characters (mostly Nintendo) are used to give the game attention, but Smash wouldn't have the reputation to have the huge roster it has today. ARMS was a new fighting game IP that started with 10 fighters and 5 free DLC characters over 6 months. A near SSB 64-sized roster isn't unreasonable if Smash had only starting existing with a current installment.

A reboot of this size in our current timeline would deal with too many problems. Cutting out all legacy that Smash gave these characters: Ness? Jigglypuff? Captain Falcon? Maybe even Fox too would be nowhere near being prioritized if Smash had only started in this current Switch era. Imagine the outrage of these characters being cut from the main and sometimes only thing keeping them relevant and popular: Smash Bros. A good portion of the OG 12 would be almost nothing without Smash and "being the first".

The "reboot" talk is more of just a hypothetical with many alternate factors for the roster and its characters. Pichu? No way, just an old gen 2 Pokemon, remember that they will have no Smash Bros legacy. Ike? You want to add a guy from the Gamecube/Wii era whose games almost killed his franchise? Lucas? Some protagonist from a GBA sequel in a niche franchise that was never localized? Lots of characters have become staples for Smash and even within their own franchise fandoms due to being added into Smash for relevancy.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Punch Out names:

Bonk: Turbo Caveman
Fawful: Furious Owner of Fury
Vaati: the Minish Mage
Skull Kid: Majora’s Wrath
Weevil: Bisected Space Pirate
Alvis or Anna: Another Fire Emblem character‽
Nice use of an interrobang there. :laugh:

Personally, Alvis' should be "Lover of Barbeques", but that's just me meme'ing. XD

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
said it before... everyone is forgetting the Octolings. I feel like they're more likely than most of these guesses.
1. Octolings were already popular in 2015. As soon as Splatoon launched people were begging for them to be added in DLC or a free update.
2. They're one of the easiest echoes to make. Even easier than making Lucina from Marth. They use the same weaponry and share the same body type so the model could be partially reused.
3. Splatoon was and still is selling like hotcakes. It's on track to being one of Nintendo's flagship franchises.
4. Their ease of development might even allow them to get squeezed in even if they weren't on the original plan. Splatoon 2 exploded and there's even Octoling DLC; I could see them squeezing them in.

But besides the Octolings, I can't think of any safe bets. Closest to safe would maybe be K. Rool, a Pokemon rep and Dark Samus (I'm very suspicious over their removal of the Dark Samus costume)
It also helps that they’re playable characters thanks to the Octo Expansion (though I kinda want them as an alt now)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Punch-Out Title time

Make up Punch-Out stage titles for guys you like and or those who weren't in Smash 4
Here are some of mine...
  • Dry Bowser: The Undead Koopa King
  • King K. Rool: The Kremling Ruler
  • Bandanna Waddle Dee: The Spear Striker
  • Gardevoir: Fairy Power
  • Buzzwole: Muscular Vanity
The title that I gave to Buzzwole is a reference to how it has the tendency to want to show off its muscular build.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Punch Out Names:

Sparkster: Rocket Knight Adventurer
K. Rool: The Kremling Kommander
Dixie Kong: The Ponytailed Monkey
Ashley: The Witch of Diamond City
Dillion: Ranger of the Rolling Western
Wonder Red: The Wonderful Leader of the 100
Simon Belmont: The Vampire Hunter of Castlevania
Bandana Dee: King Dedede's Faithful Servant
Lanky Kong: The Stretchy Orangutan
Shadow: The Ultimate Life Form
Tails: Sonic's Faithful Sidekick
Sephiroth: The One Winged Angel
Gigyas: The Psychic Alien
Black Shadow: The Master of Evil

KMDP

Smash Legend
I really doubt we're getting more than one or two newcomer curveball characters of low popularity within the base roster.
Personally, I think the curveballs will be more... Bayonetta-esque this time. Characters who're likely in retrospect, but that we've been sleeping on. So, not characters like Mach Rider and Ayumi.

You know, ballot winners among the general public.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Ashley and Bandanna Dee have been on my mind lately. When considering how much these characters have been advertised by Nintendo recently and the amount of roles they played in a multitude of titles, it is easy to understand why Smash fans have been confident of their chances of becoming playable in Smash Ultimate. The notable marketing of these characters was likely due how well they performed in the ballot (Given that the results would be utilized in future titles according to Nintendo at the time). But for me, I find it hard to feel as certain as other people for several reasons. The degree of the characters’ marketing and/or the degree of their roles in many recent Nintendo titles is what makes me unsure about their inclusion.

In regards to Ashley, while it is true that she was promoted by Nintendo via cameos in other Nintendo titles, 3DS themes, and the Badge Arcade in 2015, her marketing did not scream to me as a serious push. Most of her promotional appearances were rather minor, not going as far as being playable or having a major role in a game like Isabelle being playable in Mario Kart 8 or Rosalina being advertised as a hidden playable character. Her most notable playable appearance was in Mario Maker, but I consider that to be a smaller role when dozens of other playable characters like Chitoge from Nisekoi, Necky from Famitsu, and BABYMETAL were advertised just as briefly as her that makes Ashley’s role in that game less stand-out.

And within Ashley’s own franchise, there had not been a new WarioWare title at the time of project planning in December 2015 for her to get a chance at being marketed highly or playing a major role. The last game that came out was from Game & Wario, and the franchise has not done much since, with Ashley still playing an equal, non-towering role as Jimmy T., 9-Volt, Orbulon, and Mona. I personally believe that Sakurai’s comment on Ashley’s growing stardom does not give much benefit for her. I think Sakurai will seriously consider Ashley next Smash when she has played more notable roles in more WarioWare titles. There is WarioWare Gold coming this year, with the game apparently starting its development since late 2015 based on this leak. Maybe the most notable marketing of Ashley will come at this time, but I am skeptical on how far Sakurai will want to look as far as 2018 games when considering newcomers that have been highly promoted by Nintendo. Ashley’s smaller degree of marketing/role in WarioWare titles/other Nintendo games is why I cannot feel as confident as speculators betting on her playable appearance.

Bandanna Dee has less issues on promotion and roles in games than Ashley, but the degree of his role in newer Kirby titles have been kind of all over the place. At the times between Dee’s playable role in Return to Dreamland and the December 2015 project proposal, he has played an assisting role in Kirby: Triple Deluxe and was an optional playable character in Kirby Rainbow Curse. While Dee has had many recent roles in his own franchise, none of those roles/appearances do not feel as substantial, notable, and eye-brow raising as Rosalina’s playable role in 3D World and Isabelle’s bizarre roles in games like Monster Hunter, Mario Kart, and Taiko no Tatsujin for me to see Sakurai really take notice of Dee’s central importance to the Kirby series.

Without the combination of notable marketing and major roles for the characters, I do not feel as confident in banking on Ashley and Bandanna Dee for predictions. They might have the fan demand/move-set potential as positives, but they lack in the major role and/or marketing department for me feel good about their chances. For me to be confident about these characters, they would have to reach the minimum goals:

-Being a stand-out, towering playable character in many of their franchise’s newest titles. (ex.: Rosalina playable in 3D World and first playable role in Mario spinoffs like Mario Party Island Tour/Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash)
-Being marketed by Nintendo highly. (ex.: Isabelle taking over the official Animal Crossing Twitter account and her appearing in many Nintendo ads)

Ashley does not have a high degree for both goals. Dee hits one of the goals, but lacks a substantial amount of notable, towering roles in his own games for me to be very confident of his chances. But you know, when thinking about it further, maybe Nintendo planning to market these characters to even the minimum barely notable degree is just enough for Sakurai to seriously consider the character. Maybe having major roles in new titles is not much of a requirement. Maybe that small window of time that Ashley got for a notable amount of outside smaller promotion in 2015 was enough for Sakurai to consider her for Ultimate, despite her notable marketing not being as bulky between 2016-2017. As of now, I feel that I could easily be wrong about what I speculate to be minimum goals for these kinds of characters.

But, if hardcore marketing, fan-demand, and move-set potential are the possible requirements to consider these characters, then I am willing to place my bets on this character again:

In terms of Bandanna Dee being marketed, HAL Laboratory treats/promotes the character the same as the Waddle Dee species. Waddle Dees are extremely popular in Japan, and have been used more frequently in advertising Kirby far more than any other character in the franchise. I have seen them in store promotion, countless merchandise, cafes, and most frequently on Kirby JP’s Twitter account. HAL Laboratory even went as far as giving the Waddle Dees their own day on April Fools. This high degree of marketing of the species has remained consistent, notable, and on-going for years, and the number of promotions Waddle Dees get for several Kirby advertising matters has been recently rising to ridiculous levels since. I would not be surprised if Sakurai noticed this hardcore marketing of Waddle Dees in Japan and used it to his advantage to add Bandanna Dee in Smash Ultimate’s roster. Out of all the potential promotional fan-favorite newcomers (Aside from Isabelle), I personally consider Bandanna Dee to be the most likely. He is the final newcomer that I have chosen for my predictions that I am willing to bank on now.
To be perfectly frank, I don’t think that Ashley needed another WarioWare game for Sakurai to look at her as a fighter, rather I believe that she was relevant on her own due to how much Nintendo marketed her as a character and her immense popularity, particularly in Japan. If that isn’t something to speak of for her, then I don’t know what is, because in Japan she’s considered an all-star already.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I am finalizing my roster prediction for good tomorrow. It took me a while to adjust to the new speculation ballgame, but I found a prediction list that adjusts to this new roster direction, and I am pretty satisfied with it. I will not change it after this and just wait until release to see if I managed to correctly predict Ultimate's newcomer selection. I honestly do not have much time to speculate hardcore now, with summer classes being a top priority. So I will probably be here occasionally to comment on some bits of new Ultimate information.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Personally, I think the curveballs will be more... Bayonetta-esque this time. Characters who're likely in retrospect, but that we've been sleeping on. So, not characters like Mach Rider and Ayumi.
That's more or less what I'm thinking. We won't see any utter shockers so much as characters that were plausible all along but got overlooked because the general fanbase tends to over-assume stuff.

Especially when it comes to franchises they only have surface-level knowledge of. Lest we forget how basically everyone outside the FE fandom last time assumed Chrom was the only possible option even before the Gematsu leak reared its head...

Last edited:

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
Followup: I came up with a second palette of colors that the Octolings use which shouldn't confuse anyone in battle.

Top: Inkling Colors

Bottom: Octoling Colors

I've paired them with the closest Inkling color to not be misleading. Also, remember that not everyone is bound to pick similar colors.
Most likely you'll see combinations like: Orange Inkling, Cyan Octoling, Beige Octoling, Pink Inkling, Lime Inkling, Blue Inkling etc
Oh! Another thing. If they didn't want to create new colors then they could just have both the Octoling and Inklings share the same colors and using one colored skin locks out the equivalent skin for the other character. Not a big problem.

Point is: Colors aren't holding the Octolings back.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Top: Inkling Colors

Bottom: Octoling Colors
Point is: Colors aren't holding the Octolings back. They're probably the most likely new echo.
That's a funny way to spell 'alt'. (Seriously, not everyone has to be an Echo).
Ashley and Bandanna Dee have been on my mind lately. When considering how much these characters have been advertised by Nintendo recently and the amount of roles they played in a multitude of titles, it is easy to understand why Smash fans have been confident of their chances of becoming playable in Smash Ultimate. The notable marketing of these characters was likely due how well they performed in the ballot (Given that the results would be utilized in future titles according to Nintendo at the time). But for me, I find it hard to feel as certain as other people for several reasons. The degree of the characters’ marketing and/or the degree of their roles in many recent Nintendo titles is what makes me unsure about their inclusion.

In regards to Ashley, while it is true that she was promoted by Nintendo via cameos in other Nintendo titles, 3DS themes, and the Badge Arcade in 2015, her marketing did not scream to me as a serious push. Most of her promotional appearances were rather minor, not going as far as being playable or having a major role in a game like Isabelle being playable in Mario Kart 8 or Rosalina being advertised as a hidden playable character. Her most notable playable appearance was in Mario Maker, but I consider that to be a smaller role when dozens of other playable characters like Chitoge from Nisekoi, Necky from Famitsu, and BABYMETAL were advertised just as briefly as her that makes Ashley’s role in that game less stand-out.

And within Ashley’s own franchise, there had not been a new WarioWare title at the time of project planning in December 2015 for her to get a chance at being marketed highly or playing a major role. The last game that came out was from Game & Wario, and the franchise has not done much since, with Ashley still playing an equal, non-towering role as Jimmy T., 9-Volt, Orbulon, and Mona. I personally believe that Sakurai’s comment on Ashley’s growing stardom does not give much benefit for her. I think Sakurai will seriously consider Ashley next Smash when she has played more notable roles in more WarioWare titles. There is WarioWare Gold coming this year, with the game apparently starting its development since late 2015 based on this leak. Maybe the most notable marketing of Ashley will come at this time, but I am skeptical on how far Sakurai will want to look as far as 2018 games when considering newcomers that have been highly promoted by Nintendo. Ashley’s smaller degree of marketing/role in WarioWare titles/other Nintendo games is why I cannot feel as confident as speculators betting on her playable appearance.

Bandanna Dee has less issues on promotion and roles in games than Ashley, but the degree of his role in newer Kirby titles have been kind of all over the place. At the times between Dee’s playable role in Return to Dreamland and the December 2015 project proposal, he has played an assisting role in Kirby: Triple Deluxe and was an optional playable character in Kirby Rainbow Curse. While Dee has had many recent roles in his own franchise, none of those roles/appearances do not feel as substantial, notable, and eye-brow raising as Rosalina’s playable role in 3D World and Isabelle’s bizarre roles in games like Monster Hunter, Mario Kart, and Taiko no Tatsujin for me to see Sakurai really take notice of Dee’s central importance to the Kirby series.

Without the combination of notable marketing and major roles for the characters, I do not feel as confident in banking on Ashley and Bandanna Dee for predictions. They might have the fan demand/move-set potential as positives, but they lack in the major role and/or marketing department for me feel good about their chances. For me to be confident about these characters, they would have to reach the minimum goals:

-Being a stand-out, towering playable character in many of their franchise’s newest titles. (ex.: Rosalina playable in 3D World and first playable role in Mario spinoffs like Mario Party Island Tour/Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash)
-Being marketed by Nintendo highly. (ex.: Isabelle taking over the official Animal Crossing Twitter account and her appearing in many Nintendo ads)

Ashley does not have a high degree for both goals. Dee hits one of the goals, but lacks a substantial amount of notable, towering roles in his own games for me to be very confident of his chances. But you know, when thinking about it further, maybe Nintendo planning to market these characters to even the minimum barely notable degree is just enough for Sakurai to seriously consider the character. Maybe having major roles in new titles is not much of a requirement. Maybe that small window of time that Ashley got for a notable amount of outside smaller promotion in 2015 was enough for Sakurai to consider her for Ultimate, despite her notable marketing not being as bulky between 2016-2017. As of now, I feel that I could easily be wrong about what I speculate to be minimum goals for these kinds of characters.

But, if hardcore marketing, fan-demand, and move-set potential are the possible requirements to consider these characters, then I am willing to place my bets on this character again:

In terms of Bandanna Dee being marketed, HAL Laboratory treats/promotes the character the same as the Waddle Dee species. Waddle Dees are extremely popular in Japan, and have been used more frequently in advertising Kirby far more than any other character in the franchise. I have seen them in store promotion, countless merchandise, cafes, and most frequently on Kirby JP’s Twitter account. HAL Laboratory even went as far as giving the Waddle Dees their own day on April Fools. This high degree of marketing of the species has remained consistent, notable, and on-going for years, and the number of promotions Waddle Dees get for several Kirby advertising matters has been recently rising to ridiculous levels since. I would not be surprised if Sakurai noticed this hardcore marketing of Waddle Dees in Japan and used it to his advantage to add Bandanna Dee in Smash Ultimate’s roster. Out of all the potential promotional fan-favorite newcomers (Aside from Isabelle), I personally consider Bandanna Dee to be the most likely. He is the final newcomer that I have chosen for my predictions that I am willing to bank on now.
You know, everyone's saying Ashley and Bandana Dee are going to be playable, but we're overlooking a major curveball who's the best of both worlds. A Wario character who uses a Spear.

PIRATE GOOM!

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
I know Smash started way before Mega Man 11 did, but I honestly much prefer the new design to Smash's 8 bit, chubby, baby faced design. 11's is much more reminiscent of Mega Man 7, 8 and Bass, which I prefer. I wish there was a way to offer both designs.

Last edited:

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
I know i'm diverting from the topic a bit, but, what would you like to see if Smash Ultimate gets a Pre-Order Edition?

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961

Maybe that small window of time that Ashley got for a notable amount of outside smaller promotion in 2015 was enough for Sakurai to consider her for Ultimate, despite her notable marketing not being as bulky between 2016-2017. As of now, I feel that I could easily be wrong about what I speculate to be minimum goals for these kinds of characters.
So, I want to comment a bit on this idea that a character's marketing makes them more or less likely to be considered by Sakurai.

It's flawed in a couple ways, but what I specifically want to talk about is Brand Synergy.

It is just as likely for a character to get a marketing push because the marketers see a potential increase in the brand as it is to be a response to the brand increasing on its own. For example, we can talk a bit about Pokemon, since it's such a huge brand.

Pikachu wasn't intended to be the mascot. Early Japanese marketing didn't single him out, if anything, Clefairy was the character that was getting "pushed." But the popularity of Pikachu meant a complete shifting of the brand. Pikachu was popular, so it got upgraded to the face of the franchise, and that, of course, made it more popular.

But that's not the only reason a character can start getting pushed. Take Eevee, for example. Eevee's never been unpopular, per se, but it's also never really stood out within the franchise, especially in later years when the number of Pokemon has drastically ballooned in size. But, somewhat curiously, in the last year, suddenly it was kind of everywhere. For months leading up to the announcement of Let's Go, Eevee was all over the official Pokemon social media accounts. There was clearly an intentional effort put forth to start raising the character's market appeal, because, of course, it was about to get a major title dedicated to it.

The popularity of a character like Bandana Dee has largely been fairly organic. He had a small role in a game, got popular, got an upgraded, larger role in the next game, got more popular, etc, and now he's a big face of the franchise. But it just sort of happened that way.

Ashley, meanwhile, went from basically ignored by Nintendo, to overnight getting a very large market push, at least in Japan. To me there seems to be an intentional effort to increase her brand awareness, and there's little reason to do that if there's not plans to use her brand in the near future. Now, it's a mistake to conclude this could only be due to Smash, they could just as easily be anticipating a possible Wario Ware spinoff, or even just an increased role in a main Wario Ware title. But this marketing push also coincided directly with the Smash Ballot, and may have been in direct response to it.

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
I know Smash started way before Mega Man 11 did, but I honestly much prefer the new design to Smash's 8 bit, chubby, baby faced design. It's much more reminiscent of Mega Man 7, 8 and Bass. I wish there was a way to offer both designs.
I can see I little bit of the older design in him. After all, 99% of him was inspired by the older games.

Dracyoshi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dracyoshi
That's a funny way to spell 'alt'. (Seriously, not everyone has to be an Echo).
They're more likely than most of the echoes that people are expecting right now. Popular in a recent franchise that's big enough to have a second rep.
And if they were alt costumes, we'd probably know by now. No character has more than 8 alts in the demo. Maybe they're hiding it, but it'd have made sense to reveal the alt costumes earlier... around when the Octoling DLC launched, during E3. This is why I'm predicting they'll be an echo with their own announcement.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I know i'm diverting from the topic a bit, but, what would you like to see if Smash Ultimate gets a Pre-Order Edition?
Wonder, if you already pre-ordered it, do you need to cancel and pre-order again to get the bonuses?

KMDP

Smash Legend
Let's cover the bases, shall we? One or more of these things:
A Packed-in Soundtrack
A Packed-in Art Book
Early Access to the first DLC character
A special reversable Game Cover that has the mural on the inside
A Coffee Mug with the Mural printed on it
A special 'Masahiro Sakurai' Amiibo for the Mii Fighter

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
They're more likely than most of the echoes that people are expecting right now. Popular in a recent franchise that's big enough to have a second rep.
And if they were alt costumes, we'd probably know by now. No character has more than 8 alts in the demo. Maybe they're hiding it, but it'd have made sense to reveal them earlier... around when the Octoling DLC launched. This is why I'm predicting they'll be an echo.
That's why I'm thinking that they're likely: Octo Expansion has been known about for a while now, and it's likely that Octoling models exist within the game's files. Considering its popularity and the overabundance of Octolings in the Square, I'd say that they're a safe bet, but I'd much rather them be explicitly referred to as Agent 8 than just run-of-the-mill Octolings (look, I'm biased like that, okay?).

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
I meant to say if Smash Ultimate was to get a Collecters Edition, what would you want from it?
I think if we were to get a collectors addition, it would probably contain something along the lines of the game, the soundtrack, and maybe a mini-statue?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I meant to say if Smash Ultimate was to get a Collecters Edition, what would you want from it?
A t-shirt, poster with every single character on it, possibly an amiibo. It'd need at least that, at not too much of a mark up to get me to switch.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Lest we forget how basically everyone outside the FE fandom last time assumed Chrom was the only possible option even before the Gematsu leak reared its head...
Not a surprise considering the FE reps we’ve had beforehand were the main character (Lyn also...even though she ain’t playable...still)
:ultcorrin::ultike::ultmarth::ultroy:are the main character of their respective game while:ultrobin:ultlucina:were still main characters, but not the main character like Chrom is

Troykv

Smash Master
That's more or less what I'm thinking. We won't see any utter shockers so much as characters that were plausible all along but got overlooked because the general fanbase tends to over-assume stuff.

Especially when it comes to franchises they only have surface-level knowledge of. Lest we forget how basically everyone outside the FE fandom last time assumed Chrom was the only possible option even before the Gematsu leak reared its head...
Yeah; following trends people would easily fail in the trap of seeing Chrom as the "next Ike"...

And in the end Ike is still the most popular Lord.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Yeah; following trends people would easily fail in the trap of seeing Chrom as the "next Ike"...

And in the end Ike is still the most popular Lord.
A-HEM. Lyn? (I know, Ike is the most popular male. XD)

UltimateWario

Smash Master
You know... Sakurai said (paraphrased from memory) "all in all, there are 8 variants of Villager" and "Inklings are very fashionable, they have 8 variants". But... we know that certain characters, possibly all of them, have more than 8 costumes (See: Meta Ridley).

So... what if that wasn't a lie? There are only eight variants of Villager and Inkling, because the other eight of each are Isabelle and the Octolings, respectively?
While it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility that Meta Ridley (and any recolors that costume may have) is on top of Ridley's 8 current colors, his 8th color has an inaccurate CSS portrait and, in gameplay, has Meta Ridley's colors. Seems very likely that his 8th color in the Demo is a placeholder for the then-incomplete Meta alt.

I guess I could see Octolings being a same-slot costume though. I really don't think Octos were relevant enough when the game was being made to be playable. Maybe as a cheap DLC character.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
So did CEO pass without a Banjo-Kazooie reveal? GREAT!!! Now I don't have to change my avatar to Cloud!!! :yoshi:

Punch-Out Title time

Make up Punch-Out stage titles for guys you like and or those who weren't in Smash 4

Irate Imposter

:ultinkling: Hero of Inkpololis

:ultridley: Cunning God of Death

:ultwolf: The leader of Star Wolf

:ultpokemontrainer: Wants to be the Very Best

:ultdaisy: Princess of Sarasaland

:ultpichu:Pi pi!

:ultyounglink: Hero of Time

:ultlink: Hero of the Wild

:ultsnake:The Legendary Soldier

:ulticeclimbers:Bone-Chilling Duo

The Gilder

The Mayor's assistant

The Girl living in the haunted mansion

The Bouncer
King of the Kremlings, Kaptain of the Kremlings, Kumulus Kremling, Krazed Kremling Doctor, Kremling Champion,

Star Born hero

The Eternal Sheikah Master

:ultpikachu: Libre: Pika Fatal

A Thing or Three

Spore Spelunker

Bane of Vampires

Sir Spade

Pirate Leader

Old school Daredevil

Captain of Dedede's guard

The Last Ranger

Half genie hero
Cuteness Gone Wrong

Here's an example on why I'm not okay with Isabelle being in Smash.
I wouldn't want to see Yoshi get torn up like that either, but it's all fair game in Smash...

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
Not a surprise considering the FE reps we’ve had beforehand were the main character (Lyn also...even though she ain’t playable...still)
:ultcorrin::ultike::ultmarth::ultroy:are the main character of their respective game while:ultrobin:ultlucina:were still main characters, but not the main character like Chrom is
Actually I'd argue Robin is just as, if not, more important than Chrom in their respective game. Awakening's overarching plot revolves around discovering who Robin is just as much as it revolves around Chrom growing as a character as well. Lucina is fair game though for your point, but Robin is the joint-protagonist with Chrom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom