• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Troykv

Smash Master
So just for fun, if each represented franchise were to get one more representative, who would you pick?

Mario: Waluigi
Donkey Kong: King K Rool
Zelda: Skull Kid
Metroid: Dark Samus
Kirby: Bandana Dee
Star Fox: Slippy
Pokemon: Decidueye
F-zero: Samurai Goroh
Earthbound/Mother: Porky
Fire Emblem: Chrom
Kid Icarus: Medusa
Pikmin: Alph (own character)
Animal Crossing: Tom Noom
Punch Out: King Hippo
Xenoblade: Rex
Metal Gear: Gray Fox
Sonic: Tails
Mega Man: Zero
Pac-Man: Mrs. Pac-man
Street Fighter: Blanka
Final Fantasy: Sephiroth
Bayonetta: Rodin
Splatoon: Octolings

I left out a few franchises that didn't really have other characters.
Okay, I think this will be fun

Donkey Kong: King K. Rool
Zelda: Hmmm... Midna I guess?
Metroid: Ridley is already here... so... Dark Samus for the easy stuff.
Pokémon: Decidueye
F-Zero: Black Shadow... Hearing Wakamoto's laugh would be fun.
Mother: Porky... yeah, why not?
Fire Emblem: Micaiah; I want her above everything.
Pikmin: Alph
Animal Crossing: Isabelle
Punch Out:... EH... King Hippo?
Xenoblade: Elma
Metal Gear: Raiden? xD
Sonic: Shadow... or Tails... & Knuckles.... I don't know xDU
Megaman: Zero
Pac-Man: We don't have enough viable options o.o
Street Fighter: Akuma, or Chun-Li would also be fun.
Final Fantasy: Hmm... Well... this is a hard one; but my inner child wants someone from FFV, whoever xDU (Barts, Lenna, Faris, Galuf, Krile or even freaking Girugameshu)
Splatoon: Octoling (the only other legit option)

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
I would like Waluigi for Mario, but instead I'm gonna try to do it with characters that still don't know if they are playable or not
Also I didn't played some of these franchises, so I'm gonna try to find information about characters and put the ones that looks cool for me:

Mario: Geno (unless that doesn't counts, then Kamek)
Zelda: Tetra
Metroid: Mini Kraid
Kirby: Dark Matter Swordsman
Pokemon: Golisopod
F-Zero: Black Shadow
Earthbound/Mother: Porky Minch
Fire Emblem: Celica
Pikmin: Brittany
Animal Crossing: "Neighbour" (every alt. is a different animal from the town, frogs, squirrels, cats, dogs...).
Punch Out: Macho Man
Metal Gear: Raiden
Pac-Man: Ms. Pac-man
Street Fighter: Ken
Final Fantasy: Terra
Bayonetta: Jeanne
Splatoon: Dj. Octavio

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Donkey Kong: K. Rool

Pretty much the only ones I feel strongly about. :p

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Prediction: When the next Nintendo Direct happens, fans will get into a frenzy discussing what character will be announced. Then, no character will be announced. In fact, I bet the next direct will only mention SSBU at best. (Also, SSBU is SO much better than SSBWU/SSB3DS)

D

Deleted member

So just for fun, if each represented franchise were to get one more representative, who would you pick?
I can't count the number of times I've done this already, but I might as well do it again...
The Legend of Zelda: Skull Kid
Star Fox: Andross with a body
Pokemon: DECIDUEYE
F-zero: Pico
Earthbound/Mother: Giegue
Kid Icarus: Hades
Pikmin: Plasm Wraith
Animal Crossing: K. K. Slider
Sonic: Tails (choosing between him and Eggman is like choosing between a favorite child)
Pac-Man: Blinky
Street Fighter: Guile
Final Fantasy: Terra Branford
Splatoon: Agent 8
I named a lot of characters I'm not too familiar with due to not playing many of the games they originate from.
Then there's Fire Emblem, in which I played two games so I know the characters well enough but just don't have a personal top choice so I went with Chrom because I feel sorry for his fans.

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Who Would be The Next Pokemon Character in SSBU?

I Think Possibly Decidueye or a New Character...

Pokemon Alolan Trainer:Basically He Would Be A Semi Clone of Pokemon Trainer Red.

Either that or Decidueye is in.

So What are Your Thoughts Guys?
I would prefer Decidueye, but I'd actually be OK with just about any Gen 7 Pokemon.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Prediction: When the next Nintendo Direct happens, fans will get into a frenzy discussing what character will be announced. Then, no character will be announced. In fact, I bet the next direct will only mention SSBU at best. (Also, SSBU is SO much better than SSBWU/SSB3DS)
I feel like one of the things they might talk a lot about to pass time until release are game modes, instead of dumping them all in one big Smash Direct like with Smash 4 I imagine they may space them out a bit. I'd honestly be happy about that, because it's probably what I'm most interested in at this point.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Donkey Kong: K. Rool
Zelda: Linkle
Metroid: Sylux
Yoshi: Kamek
Kirby: Bandanna Dee
Pokemon: Mimikyu
Earthbound/Mother: Ninten
F-Zero: Goroh
Fire Emblem: Anna
Kid Icarus: Viridi
Wario: Ashley
MGS: Big Boss
Megaman: Roll
Punch Out: Glass Joe
Street Fighter: Cammy
Final Fantasy: Tifa
Bayonetta: Jeanne

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Yeah, after getting 3 pokemon added in this game already and a limited number of potential roster slots available I'd rather they just skip out on a new pokemon this time around, 9 characters seems like enough. it's not like gen 7 really had a singular obvious standout pokemon anyway, though if decidueye got in I wouldn't be upset
To be fair I wouldn't have called Greninja a stand out choice at the time Sakurai picked it. Was literally just one of the starters. But Sakurai likes adding new Pokemon.

Yea because two of my top 10 most wanted are the most speculated Pokemon newcomers I'm not gunna let my hope for a Pokemon newcomer get killed by Pichu lol.

D

Deleted member

I'm surprised nobody yelled at me for my Star Fox choice tbh
That's because I don't care enough.
I want Andross almost exclusively because of the story mode concept I posted a few days ago, but I don't care for the franchise much in general.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
So, going through the pages and seeing people's reactions to Ridley, I think there is one key aspect about Ridley's inclusion that I believe separates him from the rest.
This is Ridley's first playable appearance in any game, period.
Forget about the fact that this is Ridley's first playable appearance in Smash. For the first time in any video game, we can play as Ridley himself.
That's just wild to me. I feel as though that part of a character's inclusion is often ignored. It's history in the making. Their first playable appearance, ever.
Sakurai makes dreams come true, I'm telling you.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
First of all, calm down, lol.

Secondly, as I said before, it comes down to marketing. Just because a company said something doesn't mean it holds that true value. By "most realizable" they probably mean "the easiest to make and make an extra buck off of." They're never going to flat out say that. The point of the poll was to gage a general interest in a pool of characters that can make them money and then pinpointing the best one.

Smash is basically Nintendo's #1 marketing platform. If, say, King K Rool actually won the poll, but Bayonetta was in the top, say, 20, then Bayonetta is the obvious choice to go with because they can make the most money off of that because of relevancy. On top of adding content to an already popular game, they're marketing another game on top of it, introducing a slew of players that might not know much about Bayonetta to begin with.

That said, I literally do not care that Bayonetta was added as the "poll winner". I might not care about her as a character, but I know a ton of other people do, so that's great! And she was a great choice from a marketing perspective, so even better! As I stated before. I've worked in the industry for years and I know how this stuff works. Especially from a marketing stand point. I'm not putting any bias behind what I'm saying.
I've literally only heard this argument from Bayonetta haters, sorry I lashed out like that.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So, going through the pages and seeing people's reactions to Ridley, I think there is one key aspect about Ridley's inclusion that I believe separates him from the rest.
This is Ridley's first playable in any game, period.
Forget about the fact that this is Ridley's first playable appearance in Smash. For the first time in any video game, we can play as Ridley himself.
That's just wild to me. I feel as though that part of a character's inclusion is often ignored. It's history in the making. Their first playable appearance, ever.
Now watch Nintendo get Platinum to make a gorey as **** game where you play as Ridley and murder soldiers and ****

SneakDuckens

Smash Cadet
NNID
heiny13
Does it bother anyone else when characters' alts have different skin/fur tone? For example: I don't like it that some of Fox/Falco's alts change the color of their fur. I would rather they just change the color or style of what they're wearing.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
This may be off topic but I can't see the new Ultimate icons in the smilies tab. Anyone else have this issue?

dezeray112

Smash Hero

Zelda: Skull Kid
F-zero: Samurai Goroh
Earthbound/Mother: Porky
Pikmin: Alph (own character)
Animal Crossing: Tom Noom
Xenoblade: Rex
Metal Gear: Gray Fox
Street Fighter: Blanka

I left out a few franchises that didn't really have other characters.
Sounds fun. I'll give this a go.

Mario: Captain Toad
Zelda: One of the Champions from Breath of the Wild.
F-zero: Black Shadow
Earthbound/Mother: Claus
Fire Emblem: Edelgard
Kid Icarus: Viridi
Punch Out: Mr. Sandman
Xenoblade: Rex & Pyra
Street Fighter: Chun-Li
Final Fantasy: Tidus

T-Hell

Smash Lord
To be fair I wouldn't have called Greninja a stand out choice at the time Sakurai picked it. Was literally just one of the starters. But Sakurai likes adding new Pokemon.

Yea because two of my top 10 most wanted are the most speculated Pokemon newcomers I'm not gunna let my hope for a Pokemon newcomer get killed by Pichu lol.
And you shouldn't, an Alolan representative is still pretty possible.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That's one of the big things that made me support him so hard, Smash is literally his only chance at ever being playable in anything, he's not going to drive a go-kart or play tennis with Samus, and because of how the Metroid series works he's not going to get his own Metaknightmare mode either. I've been a Nintendo fan for practically my whole life, so it's about time I'll be able to play as my favorite Nintendo character.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Does it bother anyone else when characters' alts have different skin/fur tone? For example: I don't like it that some of Fox/Falco's alts change the color of their fur. I would rather they just change the color or style of what they're wearing.
I feel like some fighter palettes don't change a fighter's body color enough. Donkey Kong can have green hair, and yet Mewtwo's palettes feel less creative with the color choices. I get that it's a copyright dilemma, but still...

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Yea. It's not something I really noticed but you're right...Wow. Ridley's inclusion really did make history.

With that being said...Ridley in Mario Kart when?

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I’m surprised not a lot of people mention it but not every character has to be revealed in direct.

What about those newcomer livestreams? Where they livestream the character reveal video, similar to what they did with Robin/Lucina’s reveal.

This way some newcomers can have some time to shine on their own like Elma. And we can get in depth character showcases for these newcomers, and get ones on months that don’t have directs.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Zelda: Tetra
Metroid: Sylux
Kirby: Bandanna Dee
Star Fox: Krystal
Pokemon: Meowth
F-Zero: Samurai Goroh
Earthbound/Mother: Masked Man
Fire Emblem: Celica
Kid Icarus: Hades
Pikmin: Louie
Punch Out: Doc Louis
Pac-Man: Blinky
Street Fighter: Chun-Li
Splatoon: Octoling

KMDP

Smash Legend
Yea. It's not something I really noticed but you're right...Wow. Ridley's inclusion really did make history.

With that being said...Ridley in Mario Kart when?
What if...? With Square Enix involved, Smash Bros. were to get a Fortune Street-based mode?

Ridley playing Monopoly when?

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
That's one of the big things that made me support him so hard, Smash is literally his only chance at ever being playable in anything, he's not going to drive a go-kart or play tennis with Samus, and because of how the Metroid series works he's not going to get his own Metaknightmare mode either. I've been a Nintendo fan for practically my whole life, so it's about time I'll be able to play as my favorite Nintendo character.
This line of thinking is the exact reason why I want King K. Rool. Even though he already had a playable appearance in Mario Super Sluggers, that's not the K. Rool that I know and love. If K. Rool is playable, he should be doing stuff from his games such as throwing the crown, shooting the Blunderbuss, raining down cannonballs, and breaking the 4th wall. Smash is the place where all of this can come true and that fanservice is only amplified by the amount of characters that you can fight against.

ShadowKoopa

Smash Rookie
That's very true. Smash has had a lot of characters playable in their games before they were ever playable in a game from their series. Such as Melee being Ganondorf's and Sheik's first playable appearance (and Zelda if you ignore the CDi games). There are more but this is cool to think about.

Troykv

Smash Master
Mario: Captain Toad
Zelda: Tingle
Star Fox: Pigma
Pokemon: Meowth
Mother: Masked Man
Fire Emblem: Tiki
Kid Icarus: Magnus
Xenoblade: KOS-MOS
Sonic: Shadow
Mega Man: Roll.EXE
Street Fighter: M. Bison
Final Fantasy: Vivi

Technically I cheated and removed some franchises
Wait, KOS-MOS would count as a Xenoblade character? XDU

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I mean to be fair does anyone really want Metroid Go Karting?:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom