• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
This Tom Nook Vs Isabelle fight is silly.

How about both?

Animal Crossing deserves 3 reps more than Fire Emblem deserves to have almost the same amount of characters present as Mario and Pokemon.

Do you know how many people unironically play Animal Crossing as a gamers that I would have never ever ever suspected? The answer is tons.

I'm talking big burly muscle dudes who go hard on FPS and Madden sitting down with a 3DS. People have this notion that AC is just for female gamers, but lol no.
So where does that leave other very popular Nintendo franchises like Zelda, Kirby, and Metroid?

Speaking of which, do you think we’re going to get another Metroid fighter with the announcement of Prime 4 and recent release of Samus Returns?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I can see Alph being a clone in this game just because it was the original plan and so many people want it that way.

The logical thing to do would to give Olimar Red, Yellow, Blue, Purple, & White. And give Alph Red, Yellow, Blue, Rock, & Winged. And then both of them have the jet pack from "Hey! Pikmin" as a recovery.

Alph could be slightly shorter and faster and the Winged Pikmin can perform Kirby's Up throw.
Yeah, your idea makes a lot of sense. The Rock and Winged Pikmin could have essentially the same properties I described, but additionally the change in speed and power could make changes interesting.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
So where does that leave other very popular Nintendo franchises like Zelda, Kirby, and Metroid?

Speaking of which, do you think we’re going to get another Metroid fighter with the announcement of Prime 4 and recent release of Samus Returns?
*whispers* Hey, you know we can have some animal crossing characters as well as kirby, metroid and zelda, right?

I still think we could be getting Ridley this time.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, your idea makes a lot of sense. The Rock and Winged Pikmin could have essentially the same properties I described, but additionally the change in speed and power could make changes interesting.
And there's the potential for Rock Pikmin to bury opponents.

D

Deleted member

They're just as important to AC. And rep things Villager simply can not.

Again Animal Crossing is mega-watt. That **** is HUGE. 3 reps is far far far from pushing it.
This. I don't see the problem with us getting multiple Animal Crossing characters. Personally I'm all on board with Tom Nook, he'll know when to make us pay.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

Zelda has a problem of very few recurring characters outside of the Tri-Force three. Tingle and Impa are pretty much the biggest recurs outside of them. You could argue for a Zora or a Goron, but like that's just like asking for a plain henchmen from a platformer.

Kirby's biggest 3 are in Smash already. Anyone else is extra pudding. This goes for Bandana Dee too.

Metroid simply has Ridley left and he's the most special case in all of Smash-dom and even his fans know it.

Tom Nook and Isabelle are simply some of the most iconic Nintendo characters right now not in Smash Brothers. And outside of Villager the next most important individuals in that franchise. They're both deserving of Smash.

I want Ridley to be announced at E3 with more details about Prime 4, but I'm not holding my breath.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I like the idea of Olimar having Red, Blue, and Yellow and Alph having White, Purple, Rock, and Flying. Maybe also give Olimar Bulbmin.
Good lord, I pray nothing like this happens. Don't take away Pikmin from Olimar just to have a poor excuse to make Alph a clone.

I'm actually hoping they add Rock Pikmin to Olimar this go around, and make the rest of the captains into alts. It would fit Pikmin far better to have them be packed into one character ala Bowser Jr. rather than adding another character. It's all about the Piks.

That's looking at the series from a very narrow perspective, being honest here. Especially considering the sales of AC triumph FE global sales by three times:
This is also looking from a narrow perspective.

Fire Emblem is a series with an ever changing cast of characters, whine all we want about too many FE characters, it makes sense why there are so many of them. This whole pissing contest over "which series has the most reps" is pointless and toxic, it just pits different fanbases against each other for no good reason. You want an Animal Crossing character? Fine, go nuts about it, but don't point at other series and say "they have so many characters, why is my series so low?"

Animal Crossing is a big series, yeah, but does it really warrant having another character? Characters get into Smash because they bring something unique to the table (or are free "desert"), not because x franchise has so many games/sales. Everyone's got a favorite character and that's great, root for them because you want them, not to raise some arbitrary number for a series.

This isn't really pointed at you in particular, just this mindset in general.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
OMD I'm so excited to see them! I really love seeing those things!
Here’s just an example of one I made for Falco.

1-8 are the Smash colors
9) Based off SF Adventures Falco
10) Based off a multiplier recolor for Falco in Assault
11) Based off a cardinal
12) Based off something. I forgot.
13) Based off Leon’s colors
14) Based off Fox
15) Not used pink palette
16) Based off a white bird

Oops my numbering was off. Anyways, it’s mixed up now

Attachments

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
When it comes to the Animal Friends, why have just one...

When you can have three?

For the skins based off Coo and Kine, I made the Animal Friend the skin was based off have Rick's colors. So, for the Coo skin, Rick and Kine are Coo colors, but Coo has Rick's colors.

D

Deleted member

Everyone talking about character cuts while I'm still salty they cut certain music tracks despite having the same stages from brawl>Sm4sh.

Like..why?
~Pats back~
I know how you feel. I agree with you.
Do they have the SMB Underground remix from Brawl in the 3DS? That was really solid.
Brawl music was so much better than Smash 4's music and I could even argue that Melee had better music than Smash 4.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
And I guess I’ll throw one more in. Been focusing on veterans lately. Here’s my Zelda palette without editing the order.

1-8 previous color swaps

9) Based off BoTW
10) Based off Skyward Sword
11) Based off Wind Waker Zelda
12) Based off Princess Hilda
13) Based off black coloration in Hyrule Warriors
14) Based off Possessed Zelda in TP
15) Based off LoZ II/Oracles sprite for Zelda
16) Based off Humanoid Midna

Attachments

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
When it comes to the Animal Friends, why have just one...

When you can have three?

For the skins based off Coo and Kine, I made the Animal Friend the skin was based off have Rick's colors. So, for the Coo skin, Rick and Kine are Coo colors, but Coo has Rick's colors.
Dang. You outdid me. The only issue I'd have is the 5th one's Rick is WAAAAY too close to the default one.

Anyways, could I steal this for my Rick thread? haha

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
So smash 4 had that we needed more female characters. And boy do we hey some. So I think for this iteration of smash we need more villains.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Dang. You outdid me. The only issue I'd have is the 5th one's Rick is WAAAAY too close to the default one.

Anyways, could I steal this for my Rick thread? haha
Sure, go ahead~ And yeah, I agree, I just didn't have a better idea on how to represent Nago's colors on Rick.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Doing slightly better on the catching up, on page 656 atm and gonna make another post to respond to stuff from what I've read even if it's off topic from the current discussion. 2 main points this time, censorship and the Miis.

Censorship was initially brought up in regards to Pyra from XBC2 and while I did see that people got sick of that topic, I was still playing major catch up when that was going on so I'd still like to take part in that particular discussion. I've yet to play XBC2 but to my understanding, Pyra is a very important character in that game, to the point that people pretty much always say they want or expect Rex and Pyra rather than Mythra or Nia or whoever else there may be. If she's not important than someone can inform me and make this particular point moot. That being said, if she's important and if Sakurai wants to add her along with Rex, I'm sure he'll find a way. He wanted Palutena in and eventually Corrin through dlc and even though they had to be altered slightly, they still got in. I can see the same happening to Pyra IF it needs to. We have no idea if this game is gonna aim for an E10 or a T rating and that could determine how censored some things are, not even characters. We could get a Camilla trophy or something.

With that in mind though, people did bring up that Bayo and Corrin were added after Sm4sh already got an ESRB rating and that leads me to a question: would Nintendo legally be allowed to have added female Corrin as she was in Fates and a more true to self Bayonetta (I actually have no idea how censored she was)? DLC isn't given an ESRB rating, right? If they were added to be more in line with how they were, would Sm4sh's ESRB rating have to change just off the potential chance of a more true to self Bayonetta being in it (since after all, she doesn't have to be in the game)? Depending on the answer to that, if Pyra makes it in as DLC (since she could have very well missed the window for the inital roster for Smash Switch) she could very well need to be altered.

Going even furhter with that, is there some concrete answer for how much skin showing is too much for an ESRB rating of E10? Moreso with female characters since Shulk's swimsuit outfit seems to answer sufficely for the male side of things. Like, Corrin and Palutena had to be altered but as others mentioned, Zero Suit Samus has a decent amount of skin showing in 2 of her outfits. Is it a case by case basis? Does it depend on what kind of clothing is being worn? Like, if ZSS' 2 skin showing alts showed the same amount of skin but were instead a bathing suit or pajamas or lingerie, would those outfits not be allowed in an E10 rated game? That's probably a stupid question but I honestly don't know so I'm just wondering if anyone does know. And this applies to more than Pyra too. For example, people mention how we might get a character from FE16 when we don't know anything about the game. The main lord of the game could have a similar design to Pyra or Tharja or Camilla for all we know.

That's all I've got to say and ask in regards to censorship. As for the Miis, I think they were handled rather fine to be quite honest in Sm4sh. Them not being allowed online with anyone is really the only poor choice. If it's to avoid insulting someone with their name, people already did that with tags. If it's to avoid having people battle Hitler or something...I honestly don't see the big issue with that. Especially since there could very well be people that look similar to him as it is, intentionally or not.

For tournament use, I honestly blame TOs more for that than the way Nintendo, Bamco or whoever handled Miis. The competitive community was fine with allowing DLC characters which required leaving the game to acquire (an argument I often saw against allowing different sized Miis) and you even had to pay extra money just to get them, a limitation that different sized and customized Miis didn't have to deal with. Per console and really just on a must-have basis, Mii's could've been quickly added before a set if they weren't already in. Even if there was just 3 'standard' sets. Go with default, smallest and thinnest and largest and whatever width is best. It doesn't cover everything but it'd be better than just saying 'nah, only defaults cuz we don't have to go to Mii Maker'. Like, that tells me that Mii's would have been universally banned if there wasn't any default ones and I feel there only was default ones for Smash Tour since the 3DS version didn't have them.

Using different sized Mii's could have been since in a similar vein to using Lucina, Dark Pit or Dr. Mario. Thy're similar to another character in terms of animations but not in terms of stats. The only real 'ugly' part would be switching movesets but staying with the same sized Mii midset and the common answer I saw to that was to lock you to whichever set you picked so you couldn't constantly one up your opponents character change with a different Mii custom move.

Oh and one last thing that just came to mind but someone asked about favourite Pokemon becoming Pokeball Pokemon. I'll list the 3 of my top 4 that aren't already in. Jolteon could come out and use Pin Missile since I'm pretty sure many Pokedex entries mention its ability to use the move. Could either be all around Jolteon or directed towards the nearest opponent. Gyarados I could see being a deadly variant of Goldeen, have it splash around using Thrash. Would look ridiculous and it's a big and powerful Pokemon. Vulpix I can't really see doing anything that Fennekin can't do but thanks to gen VII, the Alolan form is a possibility. Might still be difficult since Kyurem and Abomasnow are already in but I'm sure something could be figured out. The last of my top 4 favourites is already in as a Pokeball Pokemon :133:

Anyways, like before, I'll reply to direct responses but otherwise, I'll be playing catch up again. Hopefully I can close the gap before E3 comes and you guys leave me with like 300+ pages to catch up on lol.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Since nothing is really happening here right now, I made a list of my 10 most wanted newcomers for the game. It was actually harder than I expected it to be. I'd like to see other's Top 10's if you feel like making a list. Personal bias is very welcome in this top 10.
10mostwanted.png

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Since nothing is really happening here right now, I made a list of my 10 most wanted newcomers for the game. It was actually harder than I expected it to be. I'd like to see other's Top 10's if you feel like making a list. Personal bias is very welcome in this top 10.
View attachment 139907
Mine would be:

K. Rool
Rex and Pyra
Toad
Crash
Rayman
Banjo
Chibi Robo
Ridley
Dixie
Isaac

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
View attachment 139907
1. Isabelle
2. Mimikyu
3. Urbosa
4. Takamaru
5. Paper Mario
6. Min Min
7. Labo Robot/Toy-Con
8. Hades (KI: Uprising)
9. Tap Trial Girl
10. Sora (Kingdom Hearts)

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
you guys think transformation characters could come back now that they dont gotta worry about 3ds?maybe something like pokemon trainer?

Also why did they get rid of glides ? did they ever give a reason? I feel like some characters like pit and charizard could really benefit from this option

Last edited:

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
View attachment 139907
1. Ridley
2. Isaac
3. King K Rool
4. Hades
5. Decidueye
6. Krystal
7. Spring Man
8. Dixie Kong
9. Takumaru
10. Crash Bandicoot

for 11 and 12
11. Rex
12. Impa

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
you guys think transformation characters could come back now that they dont gotta worry about 3ds?maybe something like pokemon trainer?

Also why did they get rid of glides ? did they ever give a reason? I feel like some characters like pit and charizard could really benefit from this option
I think it’s possible transformation characters could come back, but I don’t think it’s likely that Zelda/Sheik or Samus/ZeroSuitSamus will revert back to it.

Gliding was removed because it made it very difficult to K.O. Some characters because they had amazing recovering capabilities because of it. Peach can still glide, but only for so long.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord

I doubt it. Maybe a new character that transforms, but Charizard, Zelda and Samus have been further developed into their own character with moves unique to that specific selection (Such as Mega Charizard).

By combining them again it might feel like a step backwards. I'd be fine with the return of Pokemon trainer as long as he has new pokemon again or at least Squirtle and Ivy with someone other than Charizard.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
My most wanted characters tend to be the ones I think are the most deserving. The more I feel a character should be in the more I want them in.

I guess that makes me shallow, huh?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
View attachment 139907
1. Chrom
2. Celica
3. Crash Bandicoot
4. Decidueye
5. Waluigi
6. Captain Toad
7. Henry Fleming
8. Muddy Mole
9. Caeda
10. Starfy

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

Honorable mentions to Pauline, Viridi, Ashley, and WAH. Outside of that... there's no one else I really want to see in Smash.

Running low on characters.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Gliding was removed because it made it very difficult to K.O. Some characters because they had amazing recovering capabilities because of it. Peach can still glide, but only for so long.
If that's the actual reason then I find that very funny since a lot of characters in Smash 4 have a hard time killing.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
View attachment 139907
1- Pythra with or without Rex
2- Simon Belmont
3- Incineroar
4- Mechon Fiora
5- Celica
6- Lyn
7- Min Min
8- The Zekenator
9- Mòrag
10- Buzzwole

Special Mention: Shantae

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

New character, sure but as for Zelda and PKMN trainer, I think Zelda needs to be reworked into her own thing properly and Pokemon trainer... it could work but would need to be optional. i.e. you could play Charizard as he was in 4 or Squirtle and Ivysaur solo or play them as a team (without stamina, missing a special is enough)

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Top 10 characters, huh?

Well, here goes:

1. Dixie Kong
2. Captain Toad
3. King K. Rool
4. Banjo Kazooie
5. Tails or Knuckles
6. Tom Nook
7. Mimikyu
8. Paper Mario
9. Rayman
10. Old Lady Impa

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
View attachment 139907
1: Isaac
2: Takamaru
3: Lyn
4: Rex and/or Pyra
5: Spring Man
6: Doomguy
7: Wonder Red
8: Bandanna Waddle Dee
9: Decidueye or Mimikyu (No preference for which one)
10: Phoenix Wright

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
View attachment 139907
My 25 most wanted potential newcomers, regardless of odds (off the top of my head, so don't religiously hold me to it please!):
1. Crono (Chrono Trigger)
2. Breath of the Wild Link as a newcomer (pls Sakurai)
3. Blastoise
4. Ridley (Metroid)
5. Beast/Pig Ganon
6. Odyssey Mario as a newcomer
7. Simon Belmont (Castlevania)
8. Dixie Kong
9. Heihachi Mishima (Tekken)
10. Decidueye
11. K. Rool
12. Phoenix Wright
13. Banjo
14. Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)